C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Amazing Deal on new Battery until 7/31

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 04:12 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
C63 P31, C320
Amazing Deal on new Battery until 7/31

hey guys,

I needed a new battery for one of my w203 that has been sitting. I came across pep boys website today.

http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...es/?quantity=1

My last Mercedes battery only lasted 3 years which i was bummed about.

The battery is 113$

20% off code which is "20FOR1" the code is good until 7/31

The battery has a great warranty 3 year free replacement, 8 years prorated.

Total came out to 91.19$ + tax was 99.45
" Must bring in your old battery so they don't charge you 12 for the core"

Just wanted to share this deal.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
This is probably a decent middle of the road choice for many cars, but not for Mercedes.

The high number of electrical consumers in Mercedes cars need a battery with considerably more capacity than almost all aftermarket batteries can deliver.

This one falls about 20% short, which is typical of over the counter units.

It is false economy to run with an under specified battery. Sure it will work, but it lacks the capacity to do so over a wide temperature range, and will have a shorter than normal life.

OEM batteries fit, have the proper vent location, and are made with materials having superior specifications to the aftermarket. With proper care and cleaning it can last 8 years. You would buy two or three aftermarket batteries in that time span.

There is also the consideration of problems with safety systems that get cranky when the voltage drops below minimums. Aftermarket batteries with their lower exposed plate surface area quite often are the root of many faults showing up all at once.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 PM

C63 P31, C320
I don't think you even clicked on the link. The battery is the same size as the oem Mercedes one. It also has the same cold cranking amps as the Mercedes. I now have it in my Mercedes fits the same and works great. The battery has vent tubes on either side. It's Exactly the same. It's a Bosch u can't go wrong.

Last edited by Black_Mercedes; 07-28-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Black_Mercedes
I don't think you even clicked on the link...
I am always willing to learn something new, so I did follow the link.

I found a limited information page for a standard Group 49 battery.

Let's go over what to look for...

Physical size. This "Bosch" unit is a tad shorter than OEM. Less inside.

Color: OEM is white plastic. Easy to see liquid level inside. Bosch is black, so what are they hiding? Making it difficult to asses fluid level to see you back sooner.

Specifications. Mercedes specifies a 100 Ah unit. Bosch does not tell you. They are hiding that is about 80 Ah. That is too small to have a long reliable life. They do tout cold cranking amps. Nice. How many of us start our car at zero degrees F? We only the start the car for a few seconds, but drive for hours with AC, entertainment, ESP, ABS, Electric windows, sunroof, seat motion, seat heat, lighting, heated mirrors, and many other electricity consumers.

Warranty. Who warrants it? OEM is backed by Mercedes. The Bosch unit from Pep Boys is backed by Manny, Moe, & Jack because Exide makes the battery for them. The only thing "Bosch" about it is the label. Good luck with a store warranty. (Your receipt faded out? I am sorry but store policy.....)

Bosch does sell batteries through aftermarket channels, but those part numbers are different. Bosch does not import the 100 Ah unit (S5 013) to the USA that they sell in Europe.

I'll stick with OEM for batteries rather than a brand that does not meet the specifications.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:05 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 07-29-2013 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:07 AM

C63 P31, C320
Originally Posted by Moviela
I am always willing to learn something new, so I did follow the link.

I found a limited information page for a standard Group 49 battery.

Let's go over what to look for...

Physical size. This "Bosch" unit is a tad shorter than OEM. Less inside.

Color: OEM is white plastic. Easy to see liquid level inside. Bosch is black, so what are they hiding? Making it difficult to asses fluid level to see you back sooner.

Specifications. Mercedes specifies a 100 Ah unit. Bosch does not tell you. They are hiding that is about 80 Ah. That is too small to have a long reliable life. They do tout cold cranking amps. Nice. How many of us start our car at zero degrees F? We only the start the car for a few seconds, but drive for hours with AC, entertainment, ESP, ABS, Electric windows, sunroof, seat motion, seat heat, lighting, heated mirrors, and many other electricity consumers.

Warranty. Who warrants it? OEM is backed by Mercedes. The Bosch unit from Pep Boys is backed by Manny, Moe, & Jack because Exide makes the battery for them. The only thing "Bosch" about it is the label. Good luck with a store warranty. (Your receipt faded out? I am sorry but store policy.....)

Bosch does sell batteries through aftermarket channels, but those part numbers are different. Bosch does not import the 100 Ah unit (S5 013) to the USA that they sell in Europe.

I'll stick with OEM for batteries rather than a brand that does not meet the specifications.
Honestly you sound like your guessing. Because the battery isn't white?

Mercedes benz makes ones that are black as well. Look it up.

"The bosch battery is 850CCA/1000CA - RESERVE MIN = 120"

Which is way more then what Mercedes recommends.

There's a serial number on the battery that's stored in the computer. Its also stored on your online account if you have one.

My old white mercedes battery lasted a crappy 4 years on the dot.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
The correct OEM replacement battery for the C Class is of the AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat )type. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery
They last between 8 & 10 years therefore good value & have the characteristics needed for the modern high energy use car.

I intend buying one when required. Brands are Federal & German made Varta.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honestly you sound like your guessing. Because the battery isn't white?

Mercedes Benz makes ones that are black as well. Look it up.

"The Bosch battery is 850CCA/1000CA - RESERVE MIN = 120"

Which is way more then what Mercedes recommends.

There's a serial number on the battery that's stored in the computer. Its also stored on your online account if you have one.

My old white Mercedes battery lasted a crappy 4 years on the dot.
Does Mercedes offer a battery for a C class that is not white?

It is not a Bosch battery. It is an Exide battery. The specifications published are meaningless. Mercedes specifies 100 Ah. Exide does not meet that specification @ ~80 Ah.

Stored in the computer? Ask customers who had warranties with PBY what happened when the "computer" was changed a few years ago. They were told no receipt, no warranty.

Did you have your battery evaluated with the specified test equipment during Service A or B? What were the indications on the Midtronics printed results? Are you certain the charging equipment is in good order? The alternator, belt, pulley, regulator with brushes, and connections all need to work properly to assure your battery is fully charged.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM

C63 P31, C320
Originally Posted by Moviela
Does Mercedes offer a battery for a C class that is not white?

It is not a Bosch battery. It is an Exide battery. The specifications published are meaningless. Mercedes specifies 100 Ah. Exide does not meet that specification @ ~80 Ah.

Stored in the computer? Ask customers who had warranties with PBY what happened when the "computer" was changed a few years ago. They were told no receipt, no warranty.

Did you have your battery evaluated with the specified test equipment during Service A or B? What were the indications on the Midtronics printed results? Are you certain the charging equipment is in good order? The alternator, belt, pulley, regulator with brushes, and connections all need to work properly to assure your battery is fully charged.

Call mercedes and ask like i have.

What are you trying to accomplish here? I've posted a deal to help people and all your doing is trying to bash someone. Grow up.

I've had the battery in my silver w203 for almost 2 years now with no issues. If your the type of person who will pay double then by all means go for a Mercedes battery.

But at this price i could buy two battery's for the price of one.

I have a 1200 watt rms sound system in my black one and it works perfectly fine. It turns over faster aswell.

These cars aren't space shuttles
Old 07-29-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 & 2002 C230
I still have an OEM battery in my 2006 C230 with 110K miles. And it still cranks/starts the engine strong in cold mornings.
Was wondering how long it would last...
Old 07-29-2013, 02:27 PM

C63 P31, C320
Originally Posted by chazman
I still have an OEM battery in my 2006 C230 with 110K miles. And it still cranks/starts the engine strong in cold mornings.
Was wondering how long it would last...
My first mercedes battery lasted 7 years
The second one lasted only 4.

So i got this for a replacement.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Yeah they will last a very long time many get over 6 years and most 7 or 8. The only reason they usualy don't last long is if you have charging issues or like to drain the battery to dead/almost dead to many times or are over loading it.

As for Mercedes battery I can still find an OEM battery for between $135 and $150 installed so thats not bad. Every parts store battery including Two Bosch batteries I have ever bought only lasted 2 to 3 years max and they usually only lasted about a year and a half for me. That said if this does not bother you and they do have an ok warranty as long as you photocopy the receipt its your car do what you want and I hope you don't have any of the issues many have on aftermarket batteries.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.gogreensolar.com/products...ed-agm-battery
Old 07-29-2013, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What are you trying to accomplish here?...
I am highlighting that a "deal" for a battery that does not meet specifications is false economy. You'll hear no bashing from me.

The W203 electronics are an order of magnitude more advanced than the Space Shuttle that was designed in the 1960's.

If your sound system is 1200 watts rms, you are asking the battery to source 100 amps if the class D Mosfets are close to 100% efficient. You might need a second battery and alternator to power that consist. That much power in a car is amazing considering The Beatles filled Shea Stadium with sound using 400 watt amps.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM

2006 C230 & 2002 C230
Originally Posted by samaritrey

As for Mercedes battery I can still find an OEM battery for between $135 and $150 installed so thats not bad.
From a MB dealer or ?
If I can find an exact same OEM battery for my C230 at that price, I will buy at a heartbeat!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Yep dealer through road side assistance just had a friend get one two weeks ago for $145 I believe but he gave the guy a tip so it was a little more and when I called a local dealer's parts department it was $135 with my discount (loyal customer)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550
How long does a mercedes battery last?
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My Varta OEM made in Germany is nearly 6 years old. I see on this forum that a lot last 8 years & some are still going after 10 years.

As someone said earlier it will depend on their use & care.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:24 PM

It should be replaced every 5 years,... date stamp stamped on negative terminal
Old 07-30-2013, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
It should be replaced every 5 years,... date stamp stamped on negative terminal
Interested to know where this information came from & why , other than boost manufacturers bottom line ?.

There is a manufactured date stamp on my oem terminal .

Last edited by Carsy; 07-30-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM

I guess we should also not change oil and filters either,... since it's sole purpose might be to boast manufacturer's profit with oil and filter sales. But as we've seen, if we don't change transmission oil and filter regularly (as per the filled for life crap),... we'll boast their much larger transmission rebuilt and replacement profit!

Anyways,... a car battery weakens over time (in terms of voltage & amperage),... a 5 year old car battery certainly won't be as strong as a new car battery. With all the electronics, computers and sensors for everything,.. a weak car battery (OEM or aftermarket) cause havoc to our cars.

Maybe your 7 year old car battery still has enough juice to start the car,... but you'd be surprise at how many Mercedes I see that can't start because the car battery died due to old age,... or the car ran out of gas,... Come on, you drive a Mercedes,... not a Honda,...

BTW,... you American shouldn't be complaining about being charged $135-150 for an OEM Mercedes-Benz car battery,.... that same Mercedes-Benz car battery cost double ($289) here in Canada!

The date stamp code on all Mercedes car batteries are usually stamped onto the top of the negative terminal,... but since you're down-under,... maybe you need to look underneath. ;P

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 07-30-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hello SunnyRay,

I don't think your comparison between battery changing & filter & oil changing is relevant.

I agree with you that a 5 year old battery will not be as efficient as a new one .

We should not forget that a battery in your colder climate has to work harder than ours (ie warm temperate) so yours will have a shorter life.I get 6 years out of ordinary old Exide batteries.

I will wait for a tell tale sign before replacing mine, hopefully after 10 years.I have enquired as to where I can source one quickly.

Yes, the manufactured date stamp is on my Neg terminal. Thanks for pointing it out.

Also thanks to Black Mercedes for the chance to comment.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM

2002 E320
I just replaced the battery in my '02 E320. As far as I could tell it was the original battery! I ended up replacing it with a DieHard AGM type battery. It was the same size and the Sears catalog said it was for "European" makes. The stats on it were greater than the minimum MB called for. So far so good. It was a little pricey though.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:51 PM

2006 C230 & 2002 C230
Originally Posted by JohnE320
. It was a little pricey though.
How much?
Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
"....We should not forget that a battery in your colder climate has to work harder than ours (ie warm temperate) so yours will have a shorter life.I get 6 years out of ordinary old Exide batteries..."

I think you got this one wrong, it is the other way round..some one please correct me.....

Joining the pparty... :thumbup:

Javvy

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Amazing Deal on new Battery until 7/31