C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Clunking noise while reverse slow speed on rear brake.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2013 | 08:16 PM

'01 c320
Clunking noise while reverse slow speed on rear brake.

Hi guys,

So I replaced my rear rotors and pads about three weeks ago.

I purchased below parts from tirerack:
- 1 set brake pads (akebono EUR873)
- Brake rotor (Centric High Carbon Plain 125 Series Rotor)

The installation went smoothly until a week ago, I noticed there was clunking noises when I drove backwards slowly. I can hear the clunking noise from inside too. It was not loud and happened only when I moved backward. The noise appeared when I tapped the brake and released. Everything seems normal when moved forward. No clunking sound at all.

I checked all the bolts (rotor, caliper) and the pin also looked perfect. Nothing wrong with it.

It does not affect the brake performance at all, but I'm getting annoyed with the clunking sound.

Anyone ever experience this issue?My first guess is the fitment issue, as this is an aftermarket pad.

Should I replace with the original pads or I can just use it until next brake job?
Old 09-10-2013 | 08:38 PM

2005 c230SS
could it be your parking brake shoes?

When you replaced the rotors did you forget to readjust the parking brake, and maybe they're just a bit too loose?
Old 09-11-2013 | 05:36 PM

'01 c320
Originally Posted by jkowtko
could it be your parking brake shoes?

When you replaced the rotors did you forget to readjust the parking brake, and maybe they're just a bit too loose?
I did not touch the parking brake when I replaced my rotors. It was straight/problem free replacement.

I believe my parking brake shoes works fine as they gripped perfect/normal.
Old 09-11-2013 | 05:48 PM

2005 c230SS
The rear rotors incorporate a drum for the parking (drum) brake pads to push against. I would think you want to readjust the brakes in case the new rotors have a slightly larger drum. You can actually do this by inserting a thin screwdriver through one of the bolt holes, leaving the wheel on the car. (search for other threads covering this).

If you think the pads are loose, then did you use MB brake paste on the back side and edges of the pads? And is the spring clip ok?

Also -- a long shot -- a wheel bearing? A long time ago my '66 Mustang had a knocking sound in the LF wheel ... turned out to be the outer wheel bearing.