C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

no power to cd changer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2K5C230SSMR
no power to cd changer?

Hi guys,
I've pretty much decided that I want to replace my cd changer with a mobridge bluetooth receiver, which seems to be compatible with the MOST fiber system (2005 C230K Sedan). However, before I do that, I need to figure out what is going on with my stereo system. I bought the car used, the CD changer never worked, the stereo says "no cd changer" and there is no power, because the eject button is not lit up, and nothing happens when i press it. I want to sort out this power issue, and narrow it down to the cd player, rather than a cut power harness or something that would leave me unable to use the mobridge. Any suggestions? Steering wheel programing? Fuses? Etc... fwiw i am able to use the radio, the in dash single cd, and i play my phone through the glovebox aux jack, so the stereo seems fine.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Did you pull the cd changer out (1 screw) and check the voltage to the power supply cable on the back?

Fyi I also had a problem with my CD changer in the past ... would not work and the radio said it was not present. I can't remember if I could see any power to it or not. However I pulled it out, disconnected and reconnected the power cable, and it came back to life. So if you haven't already pulled it out, I suggest you try this as a first step.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:27 PM

2K5C230SSMR
if i pull it to check the voltage at the connector, should i leave the fiber loop plugged into the cd player? it would be convinient to not have to do that. i've read on here about people disconnecting the cd player and it bricked their system. also, i am assuming the car would have to be on to test this (not necessarily having the engine running).
Old 09-16-2013, 08:34 PM

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Hmmm ... I had the basic radio (no amp in trunk) and disconnecting the fiber didn't have any ill effect. If you have an upgraded stereo then you might want to wait for someone else to chime in.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:47 AM

2K5C230SSMR
Can anybody confirm weather or not the CD changer is fused in MY2005, and if so, where said fuse is located? I have a new plan, if I can verify it is fused at a panel, and not powered off the radio, I will simply remove the CD changer, take it apart, unsolder the female power connector from it, and solder it to the power leads of a cheap bluetooth receiver, and plug the female connector to the male connector in the glovebox. I already wired the aux input audio wire, so this would be the next logical step to avoid having to recharge my bluetooth receiver every week.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:06 PM

2K5C230SSMR
ok well after searching for 2 days, I found out that fuse #24 in the driver side fuse panel powers the cd changer for year 2005, so I will be checking that. I read not to use this power cable pre-05 because those vehicles power the changer off the head unit, which wont be a problem here for me (just a disclaimer). I also read that I can disconnect the fiber without coupling, since i have audio 20, and don't have teleaid (i dont think), nav, or harman kardon, but i do have the phone connector thingi in the center console. crossing my fingers.

I found a bluetooth receiver that turns on and off with vehicle power, and i will be attempting to disassemble the fiber/power box on the back of the cd changer to rob the female power jack from it to solder to a harness to power the bluetooth device. I will keep updating as i move along, but this would be the cheapest easiest glove box power solution. i also spec'd out an active ground loop isolator, which should eliminate any problems i've read about with engine alternator noise in the audio system, or volume drops, when audio devices are powered from the car.

Will hopefully be checking the fuse, and possibly testing the line with a meter tonight, we'll see.

Last edited by castlev; 09-17-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:36 PM

2K5C230SSMR
starting new clean thread with pics...