C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

STFF and no luck anyone has pic by pic install for mb phone kit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 Coupe Black/Charcoal C5 C7 Auto
STFF and no luck anyone has pic by pic install for mb phone kit?

STFF and no luck anyone has pic by pic install for mb phone kit? It seems that it should be easy enough for self install but it'll be nice to see the pic by pic install of Nokia/Motorola phone kit on a w203. I wont have atenna switch (req. for teleaid equipped models) and I wont have the compensator (nice but not required) so I figure it'll be pretty much straight install if my coupe is pre-wired for phone kit. I tried both MBworld and C sport coupe forums and didnt find any instructions (particularly with picutures). I rem someone sent me a link with someone's site. any help is appreciated
Old 09-11-2003, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Posted by RGleason in Audio&Electronics forum...I followed these steps to install my V60(even though he was doing a Nokia - most is the same except cradle/covers part numbers)

1. Purchase telephone electronics, cradle and the phone. See below:
Control Unit A203 820 25 85 >> $213.20
Phone Cradle A203 820 06 51* for a C240 2002** >> $108.60
Cover A203 823 03 49 (covers cables) >> $1.00
2*Screws A140 990 06 22 $0.20
Clip the phone cradle plugs into (A203 820 05 51) >> $17.00 -- I have not installed this yet. Without the clip, the phone sound does not work through the car speakers.
Nokia 6310 Phone >> $250 - $290 depending on where you buy it.
*There are newer cradles than this. Richard is researching them and says that they are somewhat more attractive. However, this one does work!
**I do not believe that this cradle is specific only to the 2001/2002 C240. It will most likely work in all 2001/2002 Mercedes.
2. Purchase installation bracket and antenna switch
BRKT PSE/COMPEN/ANTSW Q6820653 >> $40.00 at Clair Parts
ANTENNA SWITCH (DUAL BAND) Q6820652 $105.00 at Clair Parts
Total with German parts, phone, bracket, antenna switch: $760.00
3. Use Velcro tape to stick the PSE onto the installation bracket (the screw holes in the PSE aren’t aligned to those on the bracket).
4. Use M4 x 6 screws to connect the antenna switch to the bracket.
5. Lay aside the bracket with PSE and switch installed.
6. Remove the three small screws from the underside of the center console phone compartment. This is where the Teleaid buttons are located in the center compartment. Push your finger through the hole at the bottom side of that compartment to raise the false floor. Remove the false floor but be careful because the Teleaid cable and buttons are still connected to it. There are two small semi-circles along the button side edge of the false floor. Drill the plastic out of the rear one so the antenna wire can be run through that opening to connect to the antenna cable from the trunk. Screw the male and female connectors together, lock the two connectors to the tabs made to hold them in the false floor, and ensure that the Teleaid and phone wire cables are also fastened appropriately into their holding tabs. If when you remove the false floor, you look carefully at how the wires run, you can simply duplicate their positions when you reinstall. Plug the telephone connector into the connector plug (after removing the plastic cover on the face of the wall where the Teleaid buttons are located), and reinstall the false floor. Install the cover (A203 823 03 49) over the opening that the cable runs through on the underside of the phone compartment. Note, I had to break away one of the small tabs to get the cover to fit.
7. Remove the trunk pad, and then remove the tabs that hold the center trunk compartment lid (if you put a large flat blade screwdriver under the tab and lift up like a fulcrum, the tab will just pop out). Remove the plastic cover. Under that cover is where the Teleaid is located, and if you have VR, the controller is also there. The only reason you are removing that panel is that it sits over the front bottom of the liner panel.
8. Remove the right side trunk lining. You will see round connectors along the top of that panel. Use a piece of dental floss to pull the top pin out of the bottom connector piece. Note the connectors have two parts – a top pin that slides into the bottom connector piece, and that bottom connector piece. First, use the dental floss to pull out the pin, and then use it to pull out the bottom connector. You will also find a connector in the well just under the taillight, and two connectors holding the rear of the panel to the back of the trunk. Where those two back connectors are located, the liner panel fits into tabs. You might need to force the panel out of those tabs. Alternatively, you could remove the plastic piece that runs from one taillight to the other along the bottom of the trunk lid. That involves removing connectors that have a rectangular pin and unsnapping two snaps that hold the plastic piece to the floor of the trunk. You will also need to carefully bend the part of the liner that fits around the trunk hinge. Carefully pull it back to release it from behind the hinge. Now pull the panel from the top and it should just come off. You will see the phone wires sitting just to the rear of the wheel well behind a silver metal plate. I had to cut a plastic connection band to move the wires up. If you look at them behind the plate, you will see a D2B connector covered by a green plastic cover, a 25 pin connector inside of a foam cover with the pins covered by a reddish plastic cover, an antenna wire with a male connector, and a four pin power wire that runs to the antenna switch. You need to carefully work those wires from behind the metal plate so that you can connect them in their appropriate places. It might also be possible to remove the screws that hold the plate so that you can take the plate off and relocate the wires. I’m not positive, but it might be possible.
9. Plug all relevant wires into the PSE and the antenna switch. Disconnect the antenna wire running to the Teleaid. In my car, it was sealed in a piece of black felt. I removed the felt and there was a male and female connector connected together. Unscrew these, plug the antenna-in connector into the antenna switch and connect the male connector from emergency plug on the antenna switch to the female connector formerly connected to the male connector. Then use a Mini-UHF female-to-female connector (available at Radio Shack) to connect the phone wire from the switch to the cable running to the front of the car. I covered the Teleaid antenna connection with the old felt, and the phone antenna connector with the foam piece that had previously covered the connectors that sat behind the metal plate. Then I used twist ties – you could use electrician’s tape if you want – to secure the foam piece to the connector. Note: I have never seen the felt that covered the Teleaid connectors used before. Perhaps that felt provides necessary insulation. If so, I guess you should use that to cover the phone antenna connectors. I didn’t and everything appears to be working fine.
10. Above the metal plate where you found the wires is a metal stud that has connecting points (see the attached graphic) for the sheet metal screws that hold the phone bracket in place. Start the sheet metal screws in the tabs on the bracket, and fit the heads of the screws through the circular openings, and slide the bracket forward so that the screw heads are held in place. Ensure that the tab on the other side of the bracket fits over the relevant bolt (not viewable in the graphic but when you do the install, the location will be obvious) and then tighten the sheet metal screws and the nut holding the other side. Be careful, you don’t want to kink the fiber optic cables!
11. Next, you have to remove the radio. Behind the radio is where the tie-in point to the fiber optic network is located. I followed the instructions by a MBWORLD Super Member whose user name is “session”, on how to remove the radio. See this link: https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...threadid=13302.

12. Once I had the radio removed, I located a D2B connector with a wire labeled phone-out and radio-in (note: in my car, I have the radio/head unit and a dealer installed CD. If you have no CD or other fiber optic components, I guess all you would have to do is plug the phone-out, radio-in connector to the back of your radio). I shone a flashlight at the phone PSE end of the cable and ensured that I saw light coming through the phone-out and radio-in wires at the other end. I did. I used a small screwdriver to open up the connector that plugged into the back of the radio. I also opened the phone-out and radio-in connector that I’ll call the secondary D2B. I plugged the radio-out connector from the secondary D2B connector into the radio D2B out-port (this fiber runs to the in-port on the phone D2B connector). Then I plugged the remaining fiber (labeled phone-out) from this secondary connector to the wire that I removed from the radio D2B connector (this fiber runs from the phone D2B out-port to the CD in-port). I used a splice that I removed from the VR wire – the VR is not installed in my car – to tie the phone-out fiber into the CD-in fiber.
13. Once all of the wires were connected, I installed necessary fuses – fuse 13 (5 amp) and fuse 16 (7.5 amp) in the fuse box in the trunk on the left hand side. Then I plugged the Nokia 6310i phone into the cradle and turned on the ignition. To my amazement, I could dial the phone from the radio keypad, I could use the steering wheel controls to control the phone, and I have a working integrated phone.
14. In this next to the last step, I reinstalled the radio, see “session’s” instructions here: https://mbworld.org/forums/sh...;threadid=13302 and reinstalled the trunk liner, the front trunk compartment plastic cover, and the floor pad. The car looks good as new without a scratch on any of the wood trim around the radio, and has a working integrated Nokia 6310i phone.
15. Finally, make a phone call on your newly installed Nokia to ensure that the antenna switch connects the phone to the antenna, and press the “i” Teleaid button to ensure that the switch works for that system. If both work, you should be “good-to-go!”

Last edited by Rick; 09-11-2003 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:18 PM

holly c%&p!!! Ummm thanks rick but looks like its a lot harder then i thought (well from the sound of it). I do not have teleaid nor did i get the compensator, antenna switch, etc so i didnt think i need all that. I thought all i had to do was install the phone and cradle and plug in that part in the arm rest, then plug in the PSE (that was where i was confused about where about to plug the PSE in) then its either good to go or I'd have to check the back of headunit to make sure to plug in the phone connector. Last of course is to make sure the fuses are there.

I'm actually getting the kit from Richard Gleason (the one i guess wrote the instructions), and I checked with Steve (MBenzNL) that all the parts i needed is there. He stated the car should be pre-wired for the phone fairly readily. Richard is supposed to include some instructions for me but i just wanted to mentally prep myself and visualize the installation so that i dont spend too much time Friday doing this.

I'm scared and confused now
Old 09-12-2003, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You need the bracket for the compartment in the hatch area, but you don't necessarily need the compensator. The only wire you have to add is if you have the compensator. It goes between the 25 pin connector installed in your car to the PSE then splits off to the compensator. (I think it's included with the PSE or compenstaor, but mine was packed in a separate box). Fiber plugs right in...

As I understand it, the compentator is sort of like an antenna booster. It allows you to connect multiple devices (teleaide/phone) through a diplex (2 in-1out splitter) to the same antenna, and I think you only need this if you have Teleaide....not applicable if you dont have it.

Here's the scoop on the compensator...
some people swear you dont need it and everything should work ok...others say you need it just to boost the whimpy antenna on the v60...while others swear it sucks the life out of the system...not to mention your wallet.

Last edited by Rick; 09-12-2003 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:50 AM

thanks again Rick, yeah i skimmed through the audio & electronics forum for Richard and RGleason posts. Some pretty amazing stuff that goes beyond my head (and i'm somewhat of a techie). From what I can gather me having a US prewired coupe, BOSE system, audio 10 CD HU, and no teleaid should be one of the easier installation (not even need to take the HU out?). I saw Random4x or something wanting to get a nokia as well (he has very similar spec coupe as mine). RGleason is selling me his kit and it should arrive tomorrow with instructions, if its over my head its time to head to the stereo shop but i just hope i have all the parts I need.

Keith
Old 09-12-2003, 05:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by tberry
He stated the car should be pre-wired for the phone fairly readily.
I said that IF the car is prewired (which almost all - if not all (I am not sure about the W203 coupe where mercedes tried to go cheap) US spec cars are), the install will be easy.

The cradle plugs into the socket to be found in the left front corner of your armrest behind that black plastic cover there...the antenna cable sockes sits in between the upper compartment and the fake bottom they MB out in there...

The PSE sits in the trunk...on the floor...between the spare wheel well and rear seat...underneath the black plastic cover to be found there...plug and play...

Please note that the headunit does NOT have to come aout and that the fiber optic leads that go to the PSE have to be looped into the D2B ring somewhere at the other end of those leads...

greetingz,
Old 09-12-2003, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

<scratches head>
What?

All the connectors for the PSE/antenna/control unit are in the panel with the Bose sub...
A bracket is provided to hold these devices. I'm confused.

Steve, please e-mail me about this.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:01 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by Rick
All the connectors for the PSE/antenna/control unit are in the panel with the Bose sub...
...now that you mention that...I did see a complete phone setup in the rightside of Bensitto's trunk when I installed his Tv tuner...

In the european setup - the PSE sits in a completely different location...

greetingz,
Old 09-12-2003, 10:53 AM

I'm a bit confused now too. So good news is i dont have to take out the radio HU (woohoo). and I like Steve's first post that all i should do is hook up the phone and cradle and stuff in the armrest, then the PSE in the trunk/wheel-well area and should be good to go (IF my car is pre-wired for phone). BUT i do have a BOSE stereo so do I need to look in the bose sub area (passenger side rear wheel-well where the BOSE sub is for the connection of PSE?). Any light on this is greatly appreciated guys.

Keith
Old 09-12-2003, 04:43 PM

C230
You will find the end of some connectors near the sub (through the access panel). You will also find a place for more stuff under the plastic cover on the floor of the trunk in front of the spare tire compartment. I've posted some photos of these areas on some older posts. I don't know what goes where but I'm sure you will be able to tell once you have the parts in your hands.

-Random Axe
Old 09-12-2003, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by R4ND0M_AX3
You will find the end of some connectors near the sub (through the access panel). You will also find a place for more stuff under the plastic cover on the floor of the trunk in front of the spare tire compartment. I've posted some photos of these areas on some older posts. I don't know what goes where but I'm sure you will be able to tell once you have the parts in your hands.

-Random Axe
Hey Random I sent you an email. Why did you stop from getting a Nokia kit? Well I'm not getting many parts so its either going to go to the trunk or to the BOSE sub box area (there's only one PSE). Wish me luck i'm gonna need it.

Keith
Old 09-12-2003, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I THINK THE OPTIONAL VOICE RECOGNITION MODULE MOUNTS UNDER THE PLASTIC PANEL, BUT I COULD BE WRONG....
I'll pull it all apart tomorrow and take a look
Old 09-12-2003, 09:39 PM

Richard or Dick I think I'm almost there but need help

Hi Guys,

Dick (RGleason) I got the phone and the kit today (excellent packaging) I couldnt ask for more! THANK YOU.

Okay, so I plug the RJ45 in the armrest to the phone cradle, There is a coaxial connection there as well but I dont see one in the armrest (do i need this if I dont have teleaid)?

2nd The PSE connection is in the right rear panel where the BOSE sub box is. I plugged the ONLY D2B connector and the 25pin parrellel-look-alike connection to the box. Now there are two male coaxial connectors in there and I imagine I need a female to female adapter for this (radioshack?).

Then I plug the 5amp fuse in the 13th slot and 7.5amp in the 16th slot of fuse box.

Last, by the spare-wheel well under the carpet there is a 15pin female connector and a DB2 connector labelled "phone-in". I assume these are for the compensator (which I dont have or need).

Okay, so you may have guessed the phone is STILL not recognized by the car. However, the phone does recognize the car kit (little car symbol shows up when put in craddle). Do you think the two coaxial connection should finish the job? Any suggestions? What about the coaxial along with the RJ45 on the phone craddle (male coaxial)? Thank you guys look forward to your answers.

Keith
Old 09-12-2003, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

re: the console connections (only)

Open the bottom console comaprtment and remove the three small screws from the underside of the upper console phone compartment (top tray).

Push your finger through the hole at the bottom side of that compartment to raise the false floor panel.

Gently remove the false floor panel but be careful if you have Teleaid...the cable and buttons are connected to the panel. This exposes TeleAide and coax (phone ant.) cables.

Look at the underside of the false floor, you'll see two small semi-circles along the button side edge of the false floor. I used needle nose pliers to break away the plastic from the rear one so the antenna wire can be run through that opening to connect to the antenna cable from the trunk.

Use the phone cradle mounting template to drill 3 small holes for the mounting screws. Then mount the cradle and the cable strain relief with the suppied screws (self taps)

Locate and connect the male coax from your phone cradle to the female coax, lock the two connectors to the tabs made to hold them in the underside of the false floor, and ensure that the Teleaid and phone wire cables are also fastened appropriately into their holding tabs.

Plug the telephone connector into the connector plug (after removing the plastic cover on the face of the wall where the Teleaid buttons are located), and reinstall the false floor.

Route the coax from the cradle through the tab that you snapped out earlier and press the false floor back into place (it was easiest to start at the front and work toward the back)

Install the 3 screws you took out from the underside of the top tray in the first step.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:19 AM

Re: re: the console connections (only)

Hi Rick thanks for the info. Okay so from what you're saying once I make the connection between the cradle male coaxial connection and the armrest female coaxial connection the phone should work? What about the two male coaxial connections in the rear of coupe wheel-well by the BOSE sub? do i need to make that connection too? thanks for any help. I'm so close yet so far :p
Old 09-13-2003, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know...your car seems to be wired differently than mine. That connection was already there in my car. I have TeleAid and thats the point where I tied in the diplex (2-1 splitter).

I also didn't have any 25 pin connectors for the PSE under the plastic panel in the trunk(or maybe I misunderstood what you typed). All I found there was fiber optic feeds and a green connector(VR?)
Old 09-13-2003, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The 15 pin connector is for the VR and it should be accompanied with a fiber connector also. THe PSE mounts in the rear right side of trunk in USA cars. The VR mounts in the trunk floor where the teleaid is also under the black plastic under the carpet. You have to add fuses, install PSE, Antenna Compensator switch, and fiber connector to the PSE. The Antenna Compensato recieves power via a 4 pin plug around the same area. I just did the install yesterday. You still have to include the PSE as part of your fiber loop. As from factory, the VR and the Phone fiber links are looped into each other so they dont' recieve the signal. Each component has 2 fiber cables. In and Out. They all have to be linked to each other. If the loop is broken, nothing works. You will have to switch some fiber cables around in the trunk floor to complete the loop. Leave the VR out of the loop if you don't have it or nothing will work. Checky your pM