C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

whining and groaning from steering????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
Question whining and groaning from steering????

Hello everyone.

Quick question for you guys:

Does you car make a whining and/or groaning noise when you turn the steering wheel while the car is at a standstill?

I don't ever remember hearing this noise, but last week I noticed the sound while manouvering out of a parking space. It's continued up until now.

Am I just being a picky @$$h01e??? Or is this something that should be looked at?

Possible causes???

Power steering fluid low??
Power steering pump faulty??
Maybe its just my tires making the noise???

Anybody????

TIA,

David.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Are you holding the steering wheel at full lock when you hear this sound? If so, don't. If not, check the fluid level in the power steering pump.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Matt230K
Are you holding the steering wheel at full lock when you hear this sound? If so, don't. If not, check the fluid level in the power steering pump.
Matt,

Thanks for the quick response. Actually no, I'm not holding it at full lock, but the noise is the same as that. It's just a regular turning of the wheel while at a standstill.

I did think about the power steering fluid. But I haven't noticed anything leaking, and I can't figure out how I would need to top it up.

But you're right, I should give that a look.

I have to go to the dealer anyway for the infamous ticking noise (purge valve I'm assuming) and my fuel guage is messed up as well.

Oh well, the joys of car ownership!!

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by David N.
I have to go to the dealer anyway
Get used to it. It won't be the last time.

Hopefully they will be able to fix your problem.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: whining and groaning from steering????

Originally posted by David N.
Hello everyone.

Quick question for you guys:

Does you car make a whining and/or groaning noise when you turn the steering wheel while the car is at a standstill?

I don't ever remember hearing this noise, but last week I noticed the sound while manouvering out of a parking space. It's continued up until now.

Am I just being a picky @$$h01e??? Or is this something that should be looked at?

Possible causes???

Power steering fluid low??
Power steering pump faulty??
Maybe its just my tires making the noise???

Anybody????

TIA,

David.
Had the same symptoms - started as occasional "chirps" that had turned into more or less constant groan. Fixed by the dealer during my last week's visit for service B. The service paper describes the fix as "lubed steering column boot".
Old 11-13-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Matt230K
Get used to it. It won't be the last time.

Hopefully they will be able to fix your problem.
I know man, I'm used to it already. So far I've had to go in a few times for little things. I was just there like two weeks ago. They fixed my starting problem and my suspension creaking problem.

Oh well, what can you do???

Thanks again.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:11 PM

Re: Re: whining and groaning from steering????

Originally posted by vadim
Had the same symptoms - started as occasional "chirps" that had turned into more or less constant groan. Fixed by the dealer during my last week's visit for service B. The service paper describes the fix as "lubed steering column boot".
Vadim,

Thanks very much for your insight, I appreciate it. Hopefully my car can be fixed as easily.

David.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:45 AM

2001 C240 6spd
Hey guys, I had the same problem a couples months ago. The dealer had to swith out the power steering pump twice before fixing the problem. The first time, they replaced the PS pump, PS fluid, lubed, and actually made the problem worse. Found out that the first PS pump was bad and replaced with 2nd one. Havent had any problems since. Kind of makes you wonder if they replaced the PS pump the first time around. But the problem was fixed.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by shtatc
Hey guys, I had the same problem a couples months ago. The dealer had to swith out the power steering pump twice before fixing the problem. The first time, they replaced the PS pump, PS fluid, lubed, and actually made the problem worse. Found out that the first PS pump was bad and replaced with 2nd one. Havent had any problems since. Kind of makes you wonder if they replaced the PS pump the first time around. But the problem was fixed.
shtatc,

thanks for sharing as well. I'm glad your problem was fixed... finally. I'll see what my dealer says when I take it in. I still have to make my appointment though.

David.