C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Battery advice needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004.7 C180 Kompressor, BMW X5, Chevrolet Camaro LT, Mercedes S, Cesna 152.
Question Battery advice needed!

My battery is the original, will be 10 years old this July. Still works great, never missed a beat, but I dont want to push my luck too far! I run a trickle chargers, as a I have a number of cars & a light plane.

The original OEM is a Varta I am led to believe? But I have read some information on another forum which states;

Bosch SIlver & Varta Blue are exactly the same. Is this correct?? If it is, I will probably buy the Bosch S5 as it is cheaper.

Bosch Battery S5: Premium energy for highest performance. Are you looking for the highest starting power, increased service life and safety? Then look no further than the Bosch S5 Battery. Specifically designed with Silver Alloy Technology, the S5 surpasses international standards set by original equipment manufacturers. Even at extreme temperatures the S5 provides safe and powerful energy supply for highly sophisticated, energy consuming components.

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-22-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
That is a great run from a battery. Obviously it has been looked after & not allowed to run completely flat etc.

MB recommends the Absorbent Glass Mat ( AGM ) type battery of the correct amp hours.So check this.

My diesel is a Varta 70 AH AGM but petrol cars seem to need the 100 AH.

It also depends on how long you intend keeping the car.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carsy
That is a great run from a battery. Obviously it has been looked after & not allowed to run completely flat etc.

MB recommends the Absorbent Glass Mat ( AGM ) type battery of the correct amp hours.So check this.

My diesel is a Varta 70 AH AGM but petrol cars seem to need the 100 AH.

It also depends on how long you intend keeping the car.
Thank you. I see you live in Oz also! Bosch S6 is an AGM Battery, might go that way. No, mine has never been allowed to run / go flat. Running a trickle charger really helps IMO.
Not sure how long I am going to keep the car, is 2004.7 Facelift update model 89,900kms. Been a trouble free car, love it. Has only ever been in the rain once!
Old 02-22-2014, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The Genuine battery in my old C240 is now over 10 years old & still going strong. AGM 100 Ah.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mercedes4ever
Thank you. I see you live in Oz also! Bosch S6 is an AGM Battery, might go that way. No, mine has never been allowed to run / go flat. Running a trickle charger really helps IMO.
Not sure how long I am going to keep the car, is 2004.7 Facelift update model 89,900kms. Been a trouble free car, love it. Has only ever been in the rain once!
I am interested to know the price of the Bosch & where to source it in another 4 years !!

JC.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Originally Posted by mercedes4ever
Bosch SIlver & Varta Blue are exactly the same. Is this correct?? If it is, I will probably buy the Bosch S5 as it is cheaper.
They are not the same. They are made by the same company, but each has their own specification. Varta automobile business is part of Johnson Controls. The division of Bosch that sells the batteries is not the OEM supplier branch. It is the aftermarket division that quite often simply puts their brand on other producers products. This gives them more to sell when supplying parts to that industry. Because the aftermarket is more price sensitive the batteries are often underspecified from that of the OEM units, and have shorter lives. The Varta weighs more. That should be a clue.

The green weenies in Europe have been successful in banning lead through RoHs legislation that has brought the age of AGM technology and its silver alloy derivatives. This makes a battery that is about 5% less powerful, and about 90% more expensive.

Mercedes has been forced along with other makers to adopt this technology in Europe, but if the EPC in your country still specifies the lead version of the battery, by all means get it.

Recently shipping regulations have changed making it impossible to ship an acid filled battery in the USA. OEM batteries from non-dealer sources have dried up, unless you can attend in person to collect it. I find the price difference between great aftermarket suppliers like Pelican Parts and the dealer on the price of a properly specified battery is almost the same.

Lead acid batteries called "Flooded" cost around $150 to $200 from the dealer (depending on how much the counterman wants to help you out), but the AGM units cruise well past $300!

My experience with AGM batteries in Europe on company rolling stock is that they work slightly better at sub-zero temperatures, but have no longer life.

My experience with shopping in the aftermarket for an equal to Mercedes OEM batteries is a fools' errand. They advertise specifications that are rather meaningless, like cold cranking amps, but don't reveal the amp hour rating. When you dig it out, you find it is 70 to 80 Ah, while Mercedes specifies 100 Ah (95 Ah for AGM.)
Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes4ever,

Here is a link to Varta batteries in Aust. http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/c...new=AUTOMOTIVE

They have a huge range so plenty to choose from:- http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/brands/

Movie,

Interesting info , thanks.

I usually receive 5 or 6 years from an automotive lead acid battery.

I have been amazed that people on this & the W204 forum have been able to get 8 to 10 years from their OEM battery. so will probably go with a AGM if mine lasts that long.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Carsy
Mercedes4ever,

Here is a link to Varta batteries in Aust. http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/c...new=AUTOMOTIVE

They have a huge range so plenty to choose from:- http://www.federalbatteries.com.au/brands/

Movie,

Interesting info , thanks.

I usually receive 5 or 6 years from an automotive lead acid battery.

I have been amazed that people on this & the W204 forum have been able to get 8 to 10 years from their OEM battery. so will probably go with a AGM if mine lasts that long.
Thanks Carsy, Varta guy coming to my workshop on Saturday, to install a Varta Silver Dynamic. Said he did a Volvo recently, battery was 15 years old!!

Last edited by mercedes4ever; 02-24-2014 at 02:41 AM.