C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

This can't be right... can it? Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Mann is a popular brand for german cars. I bought the Mann engine air filter for my car a year or so ago ... I think I paid around $22 for it. Samaritrey's strategy of buying used on Amazon sounds more cost effective though

OEM is generally priced higher because brand names command higher market prices.

In some cases there are quality differences, in other cases there are no quality differences, or the quality may even be worse for OEM vs less expensive aftermarket brands. You just need to know the brands and their reputations.

In some cases OEM brand markup is a bit ridiculous. Example, a crush washer for oil drain pan for Toyota, I can purchase from the dealership parts counter for around $2. But I can order from the same dealership using their online order form for $0.96, and waive the shipping charge because i will pick up at will call. I still go to the parts counter to pick up the item -- I just order and pay for it online. That same crush washer my friend with a Lexus RX (same engine as our Sienna) bought from the Lexus dealership for $4.50 plus tax. Market pricing. Similarly, I purchased the cabin filter for $13 online vs $25 at the counter, and engine air filter for $15 online vs $30 at the door. All Toyota brand name parts. Same part ... same pickup ... very different price.

Last edited by jkowtko; 03-03-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I just realized I shouldn't have given away my secret because now I will have to compete for parts....

If you look at your old parts you can usually figure out what brand it is from the markings and when it comes to most parts I don't mind OES parts if the quality looks to be the same. I have found with other brands of cars some of the OES parts look way different and are obviously of different quality it just depends though.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 UFO
Originally Posted by samaritrey
I just realized I shouldn't have given away my secret because now I will have to compete for parts....

If you look at your old parts you can usually figure out what brand it is from the markings and when it comes to most parts I don't mind OES parts if the quality looks to be the same. I have found with other brands of cars some of the OES parts look way different and are obviously of different quality it just depends though.
Quick!

Edit your previous post.

But it is safe with me.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:00 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
I don't like Mann cabin filters - they seem poorly made.
I usually buy Micronair charcoal ones. There is some foam padding on the side that contacts the housing, and it's absent in Mann.
You can probably find some pictures for comparison.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
Originally Posted by ildd
We've had the car since 2004 and it hasn't been brought to the dealership since 2009. Since then, though, only 10k miles have been put on it; that's why my parents don't see a problem. They won't let me do any work on the car myself, even if I bought the materials. But aren't willing to pay the maintenance on a car I didn't choose to take.
I don't have near enough $$ in my bank account to pay for service, and I don't have a job. I plan on getting one in May...I put in 8 applications to 8 places last summer and only 1 company called me back, but didn't give me an interview.

Additionally, they paid for my window tint and headlights, both as Christmas gifts(2011/2012), but they insisted they pay another $250 to install the headlights instead of letting me doing it myself (which I could have). I asked them if they would pay for the very over-scheduled maintenance for my 18th birthday (last August) but they said "It won't make a difference"... What am I to do? I don't have any of the materials or tools to do this myself.
8 applications is nothing man. I was unemployed for 5 months in 2011 and during that time I submitted around 1500 applications, called over and over after interviews to follow up, went to several job fairs and really showed I wanted it badly. I lived like an employed person getting up at 7am and "working" from 9 to 5 by looking for a job. That way when I finally got a job again I didn't have to spend a ton of time re-adjusting to a new schedule as I acted like I was never unemployed in the beginning. It sure paid off and I've happily employed since but try harder.

Show your parents this forum and the respective threads. Show them that yearly maintenance is necessary and that it must be followed otherwise it'll end up costing you or them more money in the long run.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:38 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by Khan28
8 applications is nothing man. I was unemployed for 5 months in 2011 and during that time I submitted around 1500 applications, called over and over after interviews to follow up, went to several job fairs and really showed I wanted it badly. I lived like an employed person getting up at 7am and "working" from 9 to 5 by looking for a job. That way when I finally got a job again I didn't have to spend a ton of time re-adjusting to a new schedule as I acted like I was never unemployed in the beginning. It sure paid off and I've happily employed since but try harder.

Show your parents this forum and the respective threads. Show them that yearly maintenance is necessary and that it must be followed otherwise it'll end up costing you or them more money in the long run.
I was only looking for a part time job and 3 of the applications were to grocery stores, which covered 8 different positions each. I was still 17 at the time, too. I'm in college now and, since I'm 18, I can apply to many more jobs(Many places around here require you to be 18).
Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230K & 2007 C230
I've been a loyal MB owner for many years but have finally gotten tired of the $1,000 oil change, etc. Not a question of money, thank god, but I am tired of being ripped off. I gave up after being told it would cost $1500 to diagnose what was wrong with my car. Bought a VW instead. Still have two MBs in the garage so I'm not out of the woods yet. They don't seem to realize they are killing their business. Great cars, awful dealers. When people who can afford the cost give up, they are in for trouble.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
2005 C240 2011 R350
Originally Posted by ildd
We've had the car since 2004 and it hasn't been brought to the dealership since 2009. Since then, though, only 10k miles have been put on it; that's why my parents don't see a problem. They won't let me do any work on the car myself, even if I bought the materials. But aren't willing to pay the maintenance on a car I didn't choose to take.
I don't have near enough $$ in my bank account to pay for service, and I don't have a job. I plan on getting one in May...I put in 8 applications to 8 places last summer and only 1 company called me back, but didn't give me an interview.

Additionally, they paid for my window tint and headlights, both as Christmas gifts(2011/2012), but they insisted they pay another $250 to install the headlights instead of letting me doing it myself (which I could have). I asked them if they would pay for the very over-scheduled maintenance for my 18th birthday (last August) but they said "It won't make a difference"... What am I to do? I don't have any of the materials or tools to do this myself.
You don't have a car problem, you have a parent problem! Did you do something careless so they no longer trust you? Do they just not know how to do anything themselves and assume that you don't either or don't want to learn? I pulled my first cylinder head at 16 for a valve job! You can get a Hayes manual for this car that will tell you ALL you need to know! You need to begin learning some basic skills. There may be a local college that has some courses. AAA may also have some. Start with something small and show them you can do it responsibly.

$250 for headlights? What did you install? Just light bulbs? an hid kit?
Bulbs can be changed in a few minutes...

Have fun! This forum and all the nice people are your friend!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I wouldn't suggest the Hayes manual for the w203 it is full of mistakes and wrong information. Now the Mercedes Star service manual is perfect!! PN: p-2700-203-07 just call Mercedes 1-800 number.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:22 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by efzauner
You don't have a car problem, you have a parent problem! Did you do something careless so they no longer trust you? Do they just not know how to do anything themselves and assume that you don't either or don't want to learn? I pulled my first cylinder head at 16 for a valve job! You can get a Hayes manual for this car that will tell you ALL you need to know! You need to begin learning some basic skills. There may be a local college that has some courses. AAA may also have some. Start with something small and show them you can do it responsibly.

$250 for headlights? What did you install? Just light bulbs? an hid kit?
Bulbs can be changed in a few minutes...

Have fun! This forum and all the nice people are your friend!
I come from a family that is mechanically challenged. Anything more advanced than a hammer is unknown to them, whereas I (used) to make a ton of wood things, fix things around the house/yard, and wash my car 40 times a year but they don't trust me with anything. I usually end up doing stuff while they're out of the house or sleeping.
The $250 was the full DEPO headlight assembly installation. My dad is friends with one of the local mechanics(his shop does a good job, but prices are somewhat high) and so he brings anything to him and basically doesn't care if he's overcharged.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:22 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

ildd,
For oil changes, I suggest that you strongly consider buying something like this:
Amazon.com: Air Power America 5060 Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System: Automotive Amazon.com: Air Power America 5060 Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System: Automotive

You don't even need to get under the car. Perhaps even your parents will be interested

$50 + 8qt of oil ~ $40 from Walmart + filter ~$15
Total of $105, I don't think you can have an indy do it much cheaper than that.
Now the cool thing is, further oil changes are gonna cost you only the price of oil + filter.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:24 PM

Mechanically challenged lol. Sounds like an MB dealership's perfect target. If you wish just save yourself the money on the pump and drain the oil from the bottom. You just need a ratchet set that has a 7mm socket and a 13mm wrench to loosen the drain plug. Use one of those adjustable rubber strap things to loosen the oil filter housing. That's what I do and I heard that if you don't use a good quality hose then it can melt if the oil is too hot. That happened to a few Mityvac users.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

... also you need a set of ramps, or a jack and jackstands
And you need to take off the engine undertray
Old 03-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Topsider is so much better, no real comparison once you buy the device. And just think - in 20-60 years, it will be all paid for because you didn't have to buy any crush washers!
Old 03-11-2014, 02:47 PM

2002 c240
Dropped the car off at MotorWerks, as VVF suggested. Was quoted $365 for service B and asked him to check rear alignment because my tires last go around only lasted 15k mile. Turns out my rear shocks were done, so another $550 including total realignment. I'm also getting the brakes flushed and transmission bled. Totals out to $1400 :/

I knew something was wrong in the rear, just didn't think it was the shocks. And I thought my brakes were at the point of replacing, but not quite yet.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Good thing you took it to them, then. Wouldn't have known that if you had done your own oil change (though still wouldn't be a bad idea to learn how to do it). $1,400 is pretty good for all of the work you've had done.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually many w203 people here will tell you their rear tires only last 15-20k...
Continental DW lasted me 16k and they were bald when I replaced them,
DWS are now at 15k and they have about 4.5/32 tread left, so I am hoping they will go till at least 22k...
My fronts have ~32k on them and still have 6/32 though... go figure. I do not do donuts or burnouts or accelerate with full power.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:07 PM

2002 c240
Tommy- yes, I told my dad that if we took it to the dealer they would say I'd probably need a new transmission and entire rear suspension. In the future, once I have my own place, I plan on doing most of the stuff myself.
VVF-I'm not sure what kind of driving you do, but my last set was roughly 90% city with many turns... Not so much with the new ones, plus they were something like 7 years old.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:34 PM

Lol the cheapest I can get the Mann oil filter for here is $14. That plus around $103 for 10 liters of Motul synthetic 5W40 but that still beats the stealership that wants $135 for 8 liters of the approved Mobil 1 oil. I don't use all of course but it's still more expensive up here in Canada and for some reason I can't order off of Amazon.com when it comes to Mann products. I get the Mann engine air filters for $45.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by edgarinho10
It's not that they are dumb. Some people would rather just pay for it and make sure it gets done. Others like DIY. Some don't like the prices which leads them to DIY. Others weigh their time to cost and pony up as well.
I really don't believe that the MB dealership does all of those "inspections" and if they do it's simply for trying to find ways to gouge their customers for more money. The only reason people claim these cars are expensive to maintain is because of the outrageous dealership prices (for their cars and service) and for some reason the owners feel they need to take it to the MB dealership when there are plenty of DIYs to help you or reputable independents that would charge at least 20% less.

Yes, time is a factor but it can be done rather quickly if needed to you can make it a 2 beer job if you wished to
Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
Originally Posted by Khan28
Lol the cheapest I can get the Mann oil filter for here is $14. That plus around $103 for 10 liters of Motul synthetic 5W40 but that still beats the stealership that wants $135 for 8 liters of the approved Mobil 1 oil. I don't use all of course but it's still more expensive up here in Canada and for some reason I can't order off of Amazon.com when it comes to Mann products. I get the Mann engine air filters for $45.
rmeuropean has oil filters for your car for about US$12, Mann air filter set for about US$27. They're not much help with oil. It might not apply to Canadian customers but if you have a US$60 order, shipping is free. Quick service, too. I wouldn't buy anything from the dealer I didn't have to, but occasionally, they have good prices - very occasionally (read rarely).
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by ncmudbug
rmeuropean has oil filters for your car for about US$12, Mann air filter set for about US$27. They're not much help with oil. It might not apply to Canadian customers but if you have a US$60 order, shipping is free. Quick service, too. I wouldn't buy anything from the dealer I didn't have to, but occasionally, they have good prices - very occasionally (read rarely).
Yeah, I'll probably order parts like brake rotors, pads and sensors off of RMEuropean or Pelican Parts but since I won't save a hell of a lot on the oil and filters I'll just continue to buy in person. I only have to do a once a year oil/filter change because I only do about 13,000kms per year and 90% of it is highway.

I looked at the service history booklet of my car and the previous owners only changed the oil every 25,000 kilometers at the MB dealership so that means the car probably only had 4 oil changes in 7 years before I bought it unless they had it changed elsewhere in between services.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 PM

2002 c240
Got my car back from MW today. I don't want to make another new thread, but didn't find anything while searching, so here it is.

My cup holder, the one with the sliding door and holder pops out, was 1/2 off where you pull/push on the black tab. After getting it back from MW, it was fully disconnected. I'm afraid to put the door down because, well... I'll never be able to close it back up because it will fall into the console. So now I'm at a crossroad:
I knew that it would break off eventually, but I've been very careful with it. I know that whoever was doing the work didn't realize it was 1/2 off already.

I didn't see any posts similar to what happened to it, so hopefully someone can answer this; how can I fix it? I'm assuming that I have to take out the entire center console and replace the door. I don't think MW will be willing to "admit fault," so to speak, because it was already screwed up.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Will this help? https://mbworld.org/forums/5969120-post2.html

More importantly, do you notice any differences in shift quality/ suspension firmness in the back after the service?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by VVF
Will this help? https://mbworld.org/forums/5969120-post2.html

More importantly, do you notice any differences in shift quality/ suspension firmness in the back after the service?
That's exactly what I needed to see. Doesn't look as hard as I imagined. But I bet that door is expensive...need to go to mymercedesparts and hope I don't have to order from dealer.

The transmission was slightly smoother. There was only a small leak so the gasket was replaced along with the fluid, Noticable difference but only slight.
As the ride quality- yes, it feels tremendously different I can't believe I didn't notice the shocks were screwed. I feel stupid after feeling the difference today.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This can't be right... can it? Service B