C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

This can't be right... can it? Service B

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
This can't be right... can it? Service B

I was going to schedule a Service B at the North Houston dealership, considering it is over due (long story short, my parents gave me a car that needs to be maintained but aren't willing to pay for maintenance) and I saw earlier this year Service B's usually cost around $300-$400. So I'm about to select Service B, and I see this:
main.png
This is a joke, right?
Attached Thumbnails This can't be right... can it? Service B-main.png  
Old 03-01-2014, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
If they were going to change your spark plugs, that might make sense (in their world). They charge over $300 for that alone. For all I know, they charge $25/tire to check the tire pressure.

I would avoid the $tealer. If you can't do the service yourself, you should find a good indy to help you out.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Dealer maintenance will eat you alive if it just needs an oil change (basic service a/b + checking lots of stuff that are an easy diy) I would invest in a good oil pump to do top side oil changes I believe they are around $100. Then drive to walmart and get 2 mobil one 0w-40 5 quart jugs ($26 each) and finally buy a mann fleece oil filter from amazon ($10 or wherever you like) and do all of that for under $175 easy. And even if you live in a neighborhood that doesn't like you working on cars you are never under the car nor are you really getting to dirty to make people upset.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:32 PM

2002 C240 Auto 85K
wow, i have noticed that MBZ cars are more expensive in TX,

seems its maintenance is expensive too, even comparing dealer to dealer

suggest do it yourself, or find an independent shop

it's a joke, in texas, everything is bigger, include expenses
Old 03-02-2014, 02:28 AM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
2005 C230K(sold), Mk7 Jetta
Freaking MB Houston North also upcharges big time on parts. I needed some $7 plug quick (something like $7 on amazon, $6+shipping on parts.com). Was $14 at the stealer...
Old 03-02-2014, 09:05 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Judging by what you've admitted about your parents, I would say that the car needs to be completely looked over by some kind of competent professional (ie, treat it like any other used car purchase) if you're not good at that kind of stuff, so I'd say yes, you're looking at some serious cabbage to bring the car up to where it should be. But get an indy instead of going through a dealership.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:08 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think what he meant though, is his parents told him something like "if you drive it, you will have to pay for maintenance yourself".
We don't really know if they kept it maintained before.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C300 Sport 4MATIC (current) 2006 C280 Elegance 4MATIC (sold)
It's right in their minds because there are people out there that are dumb enough to pay that kind of money to have an MB stealership do the work. Search the forum or look online as there are plenty of DIYs on how to service your own car. You can save a couple hundred dollars on each service. A and B services are glorified oil changes, the only major item on a service B is brake fluid which you can leave for an independent as that job is a bit of a PITA but the rest you can do yourself.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:16 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually enjoyed changing the brake fluid. Pretty easy with a power bleeder.
Much less of a PITA than, say, replacing an alternator on M271.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:08 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by VVF
I think what he meant though, is his parents told him something like "if you drive it, you will have to pay for maintenance yourself".
We don't really know if they kept it maintained before.
We've had the car since 2004 and it hasn't been brought to the dealership since 2009. Since then, though, only 10k miles have been put on it; that's why my parents don't see a problem. They won't let me do any work on the car myself, even if I bought the materials. But aren't willing to pay the maintenance on a car I didn't choose to take.
I don't have near enough $$ in my bank account to pay for service, and I don't have a job. I plan on getting one in May...I put in 8 applications to 8 places last summer and only 1 company called me back, but didn't give me an interview.

Additionally, they paid for my window tint and headlights, both as Christmas gifts(2011/2012), but they insisted they pay another $250 to install the headlights instead of letting me doing it myself (which I could have). I asked them if they would pay for the very over-scheduled maintenance for my 18th birthday (last August) but they said "It won't make a difference"... What am I to do? I don't have any of the materials or tools to do this myself.

Last edited by ildd; 03-02-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can bring my oil extractor to Houston next weekend.
I usually change my oil in Autozone parking lot. That way you can directly go and dump the oil into their tank without worrying about spilling it on the way there etc

You will need what, 8 quarts of oil and a filter kit?

Your brake fluid is also at least 4 years old then?
Then you will also need 1 liter of brake fluid.

-------
What do you guys think, will Autozone be ok if someone changes brake fluid in their lot?
We can probably do it one wheel at a time to not get too much attention...
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by VVF
I can bring my oil extractor to Houston next weekend.
I usually change my oil in Autozone parking lot. That way you can directly go and dump the oil into their tank without worrying about spilling it on the way there etc

You will need what, 8 quarts of oil and a filter kit?

Your brake fluid is also at least 4 years old then?
Then you will also need 1 liter of brake fluid.

-------
What do you guys think, will Autozone be ok if someone changes brake fluid in their lot?
We can probably do it one wheel at a time to not get too much attention...
Thank you, but it's not needed. I talked to my parents and they said that they'll pay for most of it while I'm on Spring break...hopefully it isn't the $600 like I posted above, I'm not sure what that's about; I just checked again and now there's only 1 "B" option and price is unlisted. I'm taking it to Discount Tire tomorrow because I'm almost certain they didn't align the rear wheels right back in December, and I guess i'll go from there.
Though it hasn't been taken to the stealership since 2009, the brake pads+fluid were changed in mid 2012... which still isn't ideal but oh well. No problems yet and it will be checked just over a week from now...

Last edited by ildd; 03-02-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:47 PM
VVF
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shoot an email to Travis at Houston Motorwerks for a quote. I'm sure they will be at least twice cheaper than dealer. http://www.mwhouston.com/

I didn't know Discount Tire does alignment?..
Motorwerks can do alignment, too.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:54 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by VVF
Shoot an email to Travis at Houston Motorwerks for a quote. I'm sure they will be at least twice cheaper than dealer. http://www.mwhouston.com/

I didn't know Discount Tire does alignment?..
Motorwerks can do alignment, too.
They said they would rotate and realign at 6k miles. I think they forgot to check the alignment last time...
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it, haven't heard of them but they have good reviews.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 PM

2002 c240
Originally Posted by ildd
They said they would rotate and realign at 6k miles. I think they forgot to check the alignment last time...
Thanks for the link. I'll look into it, haven't heard of them but they have good reviews.
@VVF
I talked to my dad and he said that we can take it up to MW. I was looking at the Discount Tire site and it says they don't perform realignments, but the guy who charged me for my tires last year said they would realign I don't trust anything they say anyways, i'll just have MW see if it needs realigned.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I would honestly not want Discount to do an alignment anyway. Benzes are tricky.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Back to the service choices ... you don't have to do a service B from the dealership.

Service B (basic) is almost nothing more than an engine filter replacement on top of the oil change. You can change the engine filter yourself with some simple tools. The filter costs around $30 or less.

The cabin filter costs $20 or less and can be changed without tools in about 2 minutes.

If you must bring it in, then ask the dealership how much for just an oil and filter change, and look for their monthly service specials ... usually they'll have an oil change special for under $200.

Fyi many dealerships appear to border on the unethical -- they will take whatever money you are willing to pay them. Since most MB owners are rich and mechanically ignorant, this makes for a profitable auto service business

Example: $514 estimate to replace the fuel filter. I bought a Mahle-Knecht filter for $40 and replaced it myself. Local indy quoted me $165 which is much more reasonable.

Another example: $85 to replace cabin filter !??! When I saw that quote I more-or-less yelled at them, and they knocked off the labor charge of $50 and charged me only $35 for the part, and then installed it in about one minute. Later on I learned I could buy these filters for about $12.

--------------

Alignments with these cars are another service I have a bit of an issue with ...

The caster/camber adjustments can be made only by removing the sway bar brackets and unbolting the control arms from the frame -- something normal alignment shops will simply not do. Therefore you often hear these shops saying that you need a "special alignment" service.

So, unless your car is pulling heavily to one side or another, chances are that caster/camber adjustments will not be needed. Which means the only thing left is toe-in. The front toe-in on these cars is very sensitive but also very easy to adjust if you have a tape measure and a couple of cresent wrenches. I have done this a few times now on my car, and my steering is about as straight and perfect as it can be -- much more so than after the last time I paid $100 for an alignment.

Last edited by jkowtko; 03-03-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by Khan28
It's right in their minds because there are people out there that are dumb enough to pay that kind of money to have an MB stealership do the work. Search the forum or look online as there are plenty of DIYs on how to service your own car. You can save a couple hundred dollars on each service. A and B services are glorified oil changes, the only major item on a service B is brake fluid which you can leave for an independent as that job is a bit of a PITA but the rest you can do yourself.
It's not that they are dumb. Some people would rather just pay for it and make sure it gets done. Others like DIY. Some don't like the prices which leads them to DIY. Others weigh their time to cost and pony up as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by ildd
We've had the car since 2004 and it hasn't been brought to the dealership since 2009. Since then, though, only 10k miles have been put on it; that's why my parents don't see a problem. They won't let me do any work on the car myself, even if I bought the materials. But aren't willing to pay the maintenance on a car I didn't choose to take.
I don't have near enough $$ in my bank account to pay for service, and I don't have a job. I plan on getting one in May...I put in 8 applications to 8 places last summer and only 1 company called me back, but didn't give me an interview.

Additionally, they paid for my window tint and headlights, both as Christmas gifts(2011/2012), but they insisted they pay another $250 to install the headlights instead of letting me doing it myself (which I could have). I asked them if they would pay for the very over-scheduled maintenance for my 18th birthday (last August) but they said "It won't make a difference"... What am I to do? I don't have any of the materials or tools to do this myself.
I'm a little older than you and travel to Houston several times a year. I wouldn't mind helping out.

I'm sure there are other Houston members that would be more than willing to offer help as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by jkowtko
Back to the service choices ... you don't have to do a service B from the dealership.

Service B (basic) is almost nothing more than an engine filter replacement on top of the oil change. You can change the engine filter yourself with some simple tools. The filter costs around $30 or less.

The cabin filter costs $20 or less and can be changed without tools in about 2 minutes.

If you must bring it in, then ask the dealership how much for just an oil and filter change, and look for their monthly service specials ... usually they'll have an oil change special for under $200.

Fyi many dealerships appear to border on the unethical -- they will take whatever money you are willing to pay them. Since most MB owners are rich and mechanically ignorant, this makes for a profitable auto service business

Example: $514 estimate to replace the fuel filter. I bought a Mahle-Knecht filter for $40 and replaced it myself. Local indy quoted me $165 which is much more reasonable.

Another example: $85 to replace cabin filter !??! When I saw that quote I more-or-less yelled at them, and they knocked off the labor charge of $50 and charged me only $35 for the part, and then installed it in about one minute. Later on I learned I could buy these filters for about $12.

--------------

Alignments with these cars are another service I have a bit of an issue with ...

The caster/camber adjustments can be made only by removing the sway bar brackets and unbolting the control arms from the frame -- something normal alignment shops will simply not do. Therefore you often hear these shops saying that you need a "special alignment" service.

So, unless your car is pulling heavily to one side or another, chances are that caster/camber adjustments will not be needed. Which means the only thing left is toe-in. The front toe-in on these cars is very sensitive but also very easy to adjust if you have a tape measure and a couple of cresent wrenches. I have done this a few times now on my car, and my steering is about as straight and perfect as it can be -- much more so than after the last time I paid $100 for an alignment.
Point me to the $12 filter!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
Originally Posted by edgarinho10
Point me to the $12 filter!
Ok, I was wrong ... how about $5.09? Rockauto has several for under $10. I personally would choose the Mann for $7.10 or Bosch for $7.21.

Granted these are not charcoal filters ... but the OEM filter I paid almost $40 for isn't charcoal either.

On a similar note, the Mahle KL82 fuel filter is $26 with free shipping from this vendor: http://bizstock.net/MAHLE-Original-K...w-B0080E4OMI-5

Just saying, this stuff can be found cheap. And for the amount of money you are saving on labor you can afford to buy more expensive and reputable brands -- in many cases MB brand -- for your parts and still save a bundle on your overall maintenance costs
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Amazon.com: Mann-Filter CUK 3461 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal for select  Mercedes-Benz models: Automotive Amazon.com: Mann-Filter CUK 3461 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal for select Mercedes-Benz models: Automotive

Go to used and buy the part from amazon for 7.98!! If you have prime it is free shipping too!
I have bought lots of stuff from amazon like this and you can get some amazing deals and half the time the box has never even been opened and looks brand new! And if it is not to your standards free return shipping you have nothing to loose.

Got a Mann Fuel filter for $5 a few months ago (still need to install that...) and Mann oil filter for $2.46

Last edited by samaritrey; 03-03-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by jkowtko
Ok, I was wrong ... how about $5.09? Rockauto has several for under $10. I personally would choose the Mann for $7.10 or Bosch for $7.21.

Granted these are not charcoal filters ... but the OEM filter I paid almost $40 for isn't charcoal either.

On a similar note, the Mahle KL82 fuel filter is $26 with free shipping from this vendor: http://bizstock.net/MAHLE-Original-K...w-B0080E4OMI-5

Just saying, this stuff can be found cheap. And for the amount of money you are saving on labor you can afford to buy more expensive and reputable brands -- in many cases MB brand -- for your parts and still save a bundle on your overall maintenance costs
I've come across the OEM filter for $27.75. What's the difference between this and the Mann or Bosch?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by samaritrey
Amazon.com: Mann-Filter CUK 3461 Cabin Filter With Activated Charcoal for select Mercedes-Benz models: Automotive

Go to used and buy the part from amazon for 7.98!! If you have prime it is free shipping too!
I have bought lots of stuff from amazon like this and you can get some amazing deals and half the time the box has never even been opened and looks brand new! And if it is not to your standards free return shipping you have nothing to loose.

Got a Mann Fuel filter for $5 a few months ago (still need to install that...) and oil filter for $2.46
I actually need the air and oil filter as well.

Mann is OEM brand no?
Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

THE C350
Mann is oem for oil but don't know about air filter but it is what I always use and seem to be very good (they have a set for my car on amazon right now for $19 I believe was looking last night for cheap parts.

EDIT:
Yes it is OEM for air and Oil but I believe fuel is Mahle-someother company I can remember (this is for c240-c320 though c230 and others may be different I know the new ml350 and c350 use some random French company for oil filter)

Last edited by samaritrey; 03-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This can't be right... can it? Service B