C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C class sedans to race in Europe next year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 K
C class sedans to race in Europe next year

This should probably be in the Motorsport forum, but it is C-class related .

The Mercedes factory racing team will be running C-class sedan's in next year's German Touring Car championship (DTM). Most likely only the offical HWA team will run the C-class, while the Mercedes private teams will continue running the W209 CLK (leading to somewhat of a MB marketing nightmare as the factory C-Classes will be beating the private CLKs, which is supposed to be the superior car). My guess is that the W203 cars will look like a wide-body version of the C55.

The competiton: Audi is finally joining in an official capacity and is going to run A4s, while the Opel (GM) factory team will race four door Vectras (which is the Chevy Malibu in the US). Privateers running these marques will be using last years TTs and Astras. Still no BMW, though .
Old 12-02-2003, 04:42 PM

2001 C320
Good to hear that they are going to race with the C.. Now i can have some bragging rights..Cant wait to see the WIDEBODY..i hope it doesnt look anything like the AMG racecar..i dont like that one.Do you think the will use the C55 or the regular C klasse?
Old 12-02-2003, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
I think it will look quite a bit like the current AMG race car, just with four doors and a C-class body. Due to regulations, the widebody aerodynamics they have to use for the race cars don't have a very clean "street" look to them. I'm guessing the cars will look use the new C55 grill, while the rest of the front air dam and side skirts will look more like the current race car - just with four doors and a C-class rear end.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: C class sedans to race in Europe next year

Originally posted by trench
while the Opel (GM) factory team will race four door Vectras (which is the Chevy Malibu in the US). Privateers running these marques will be using last years TTs and Astras. Still no BMW, though .
If I'm not mistaken, Opel passed on using Epsilon for its new cars.???
Old 12-03-2003, 12:58 AM

Finally! A C-class DTM, sweet. I miss the W202 DTM car. I hope it doesn't hinder MB's success in DTM though! The CLK is pretty good too I'm looking forward to seeing the upcoming C-class DTM vs the upcoming A4 DTM!

BTW Trench, where'd you see this news? I think I gotta go to there to catch up on DTM news!

Mmm, now only if BMW brings out a 3-series DTM .. sweet.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:13 AM

2003 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan/2008 M3 Coupe M-DCT/1996 328i (Gone)/1988 190E 2.3 (Gone)
Re: C class sedans to race in Europe next year

Originally posted by trench
This should probably be in the Motorsport forum, but it is C-class related .

The Mercedes factory racing team will be running C-class sedan's in next year's German Touring Car championship (DTM). Most likely only the offical HWA team will run the C-class, while the Mercedes private teams will continue running the W209 CLK (leading to somewhat of a MB marketing nightmare as the factory C-Classes will be beating the private CLKs, which is supposed to be the superior car). My guess is that the W203 cars will look like a wide-body version of the C55.

The competiton: Audi is finally joining in an official capacity and is going to run A4s, while the Opel (GM) factory team will race four door Vectras (which is the Chevy Malibu in the US). Privateers running these marques will be using last years TTs and Astras. Still no BMW, though .
Technically, BMWs are there, since all DTM cars engine blocks are made by BMW.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: Re: C class sedans to race in Europe next year

Originally posted by Outland
If I'm not mistaken, Opel passed on using Epsilon for its new cars.???
In Europe, GM is using Epsilon for the Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3.
Originally posted by c230 sport
Really? I've never heard this before. However, it doesn't do them any good from a marketing standpoint if hardly anyone knows this.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:00 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 220 CDI T-Model
Re: Re: C class sedans to race in Europe next year

Originally posted by c230 sport
Completely wrong !
Audi is using it's own V8 engine for the new A4 quatro
Mercedes is using AMG tuned engines
Opel is using GM engines, tuned by OPC

BMW is focusing on the F1 engagement and longdistance touring races, like 24h Nuerburgring. Two years ago, BMW used Diesel engines and won the race. This year, Opel modified it's DTM Astra and won.

In 2005 Alfa reenters the DTM, supported by Ferari and Michael Schuhmacher.

Dirk