C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

iPod and non-BOSE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod and non-BOSE?

i was hoping someone here has experience installing/ getting installed an iPod in thier car.i was wondering what is required and if there is an aux. input on the factory head unit (non-BOSE)

also i was really hoping the same iPod can be used on both windows AND Mac computers, but sadly i get the impression you cant
Old 12-07-2003, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only factory radio with Aux In is Comand. For us commoners that don't have a nav system in the C, you'll need to get a high quality FM mod and two antenna adapters. I works out OK, not the best but good enough. Sound quality varies amoung FM mods so do your homework. Don't bother looking for an aux adapter from PIE, Blitzsafe or others, none being produced at this time, probably too small a market. When they do I'll replace my FM mod in a heartbeat.

As for iPod's, would not get one becase they are too propriatary, I don't even think they support the latest standard that most music download stores like Napster use (I think it's called WMA). They have their own which is great if you only download from iTunes (or Kazaa which I don't use).
Old 12-19-2003, 11:28 AM
Almost a Member!

If you do not already have an Ipod, you should go check them out, you can get a 40 gig one that holds a crap load of music, as for interfacing with your car, the other guy is right, you either have to use a comand system or you can use an FM modulator that Apple makes for thier Ipod. On Apples FM mod you can set the station to what ever you want and then set the Ipod up to that station. Also they do work with PC, the disk that comes with them has both the software for MAC and PC.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Don't forget you can modify the stock cassette player to accept an AUX input. Its reletively easy to do and sounds better then a FM modulator.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:24 PM

Acura EL, C230K, 997 C2
Ordered my car 2 months ago... still waiting... spent a grand on the Bose audio system, but never listened to it before... is there a big differene between the Bose and stock? and is there an AUX input in the Bose deck?
Old 12-19-2003, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One more time. An aux input is only available with COMAND.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Hi Buellie!

Long time!

Anyway, I got an IPod for Christmas (hooray!) and I have been trying to figure out how to get it to work with my car stereo. So I trolled the saab sites and then the MB world. Well, needless to say, it's kinda of a challenging effort as you know since there is no adaptors for Saabs like MBs.

But, on the Saab boards, I found this solution which I don't really understand well, but it's a better solution that a FM modulator, so maybe it will help you. Sound quality will be better.

I don't know enough to try this, but you might

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9-3/index.html?bID=77959

So, do you like the FM modulator? I think that might be the route I take. Or I just might put in a new stereo system. Not sure, maybe I'll try this. Or pay a stereo stop to do so.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 12-26-2003, 08:55 PM

A friend of mine returned his FM Transmitter after a weekend of using it. He said that there is so much station bleed around here that it's really hard to find an open channel to broadcast on cleanly. It worked for him fine up in Sacramento, but doesn't work well back home here in the bay area.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:20 PM

I've been trying to do this also with my new iPod and my 2002 c230 coupe with bose (no in Comand).

I purchased one of these FM/power cradles:
http://tinyurl.com/ywolz

I think I'm going to return it. Due to the positioning of the cigarette lighter in our car in relation to the shifter (I have a stick shift) there is no really good way to position the iPod without it getting in the way of either your leg or your hand when shifting.

Also the sound quality is poor. On some music like rock it sounds fine, but any music with subtle sounds like classical is almost worthless. What should be a quiet violin note just comes across as a barely-audible static crackle.

Any other suggestions on a better FM adapter or a slick way to get a direct connection going?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Cullen

Any other suggestions on a better FM adapter or a slick way to get a direct connection going?
Ok,

here is the deal from what I can figure out. An FM transmitter broadcasts to your radio.

An FM Modulator overrides the local stations and makes room on the dial for your transmission. It's a better way to go. You need to wire it, but a local stereo store can so it. The best one as far as I can tell is the Audivox FMM100. Just search on it. Cartoys has it.

Good luck

Beth
Old 12-29-2003, 10:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
I think iPods are overhyped and overpriced for what they do. It looks very nice but that's about it.

I say get an Archos. Better run for your money.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey guys!

I work for a company that deals with this stuff and I talked to the techs here who test everything.

They assured me that this FM transmitter actually works! All of them did, so if you want something for your Ipod in your car, you can try this
[URLhttp://www.macminute.com/2003/12/11/transpodfm]Transpod link[/URL]

Cheers,

Beth

Last edited by galaxygrrl; 12-30-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:19 AM

GalaxyGrrrl,

The TransPod FM is the exact item I purchase, which I mentioned in my previous post. It "works", but sound quality is severely lacking, as I describe in more detail in that post. I will most likely return it and get a hardwired solution.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Cullen
GalaxyGrrrl,

The TransPod FM is the exact item I purchase, which I mentioned in my previous post. It "works", but sound quality is severely lacking, as I describe in more detail in that post. I will most likely return it and get a hardwired solution.
I'm sorry to hear that. The guys here say a Kenwood makes a easy to install hardwire solution.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 12-30-2003, 11:51 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
I just got a 20gb ipod for christmas!!!

I've got an '03 CLK 500 with the Command system, but I don't see an aux input. Someone once said it's located in the glove compartment, but I don't see any inputs there.

Can anyone help? Is the Aux input only on '04 cars?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:55 AM

I was under the impression that the aux input was part of the CD changer, but thats just what I recall from old BB posts.I know they say the 2002 comand versions has aux input.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey all!

Thought I would do a shameless plug and offer your a free trial of Audible -- we're books for your ipod.

So, you can check us at www.audible.com

and for the free trial you can go to www.audible.com/ipod

I loved the Davinci Code.

Happy listening.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 12-30-2003, 04:36 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Hmmm..unable to try the DaVinci sample on my MAC. The only two options are Windows Media and Real Time. Where's Quicktime?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK,

You're testing my knowleadge here, because I'm in the marketing dept.

We don't support Quicktime, but here are your choices. You can download RealOne player OR you can go to itunes and listen to a sample there. We actually power the book part of Itunes. I'm sure itunes supports a Mac application, but you only get 90 seconds as opposed to 15 min on our site.

Happy Listening.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 12-31-2003, 01:56 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Sorry Beth,
Couldn't figure out how to get it working on my mac let alone download it to my iPod.

It sounds interesting, but I wish it were set up more like the iTunes music store. I would rather pay per audio book than a monthly subscription. Just my 2 cents.

I was really looking forward to trying Getting Things Done.

I called MB today regarding the Aux for my car. The shop foreman said that I should have it since I've got the Command system, but if I didn't, he would need to order it from Germany. Apparently, the Aux input part does not exist in the US.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:31 AM

What Beth meant in her suggestion to try iTunes in order to listen to Audible was to just use the iTunes Music Store. The audiobook section of the iTMS is powered by Audible. I have purchased a book from the iTMS and am happy with how it worked out.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:31 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Thanks Cullen. I was able to sample the book I wanted on iTunes.

On the audible website, it says you could burn it on CD. I don't think you could burn (on CD) music downloaded from iTunes. Does this not apply to audiobooks?
Old 01-01-2004, 03:52 AM

Any music downloaded via iTunes can be burned to CD. It's a very flexible system.
Old 01-01-2004, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guys!

We sell single books and we are less expensive than itunes for a single book, so check us out for that.

The monthly subsciption plan that I posted the free trial for you can cancel after you download a book. So, if you want try it and then email us and cancel. But if you like it, you might give it a try.

We actually do power the book part of itunes, but since itunes needs to make money, they mark up our price.

Oh, btw, did you guy notice that vaja cases is having an ipod case sale. These are the best cases around for ipods. www.vajacases.com I got one the same color as my saab. Color coordinated cars and ipods -- gotta love it.

Cheers,

Beth
Old 01-01-2004, 11:44 PM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
Thanks Beth. I think I will give audible a try. I think I might also get one of those vaja cases too. Which one did you get? The i-volution or the classic? Looks like the white is sold out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod and non-BOSE?