C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

MacNeil cargo mat for the Coupe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:24 AM
Bos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K
MacNeil cargo mat for the Coupe...

I went ahead and purchased the cargo mat from MacNeil (http://www.mats.com) for the Coupe. As you can see, the mat does not come with the cutouts for the cargo loops, but it's not going to be a big deal to cut them out myself. The only downside to this is, holes cut in the mat will eliminate the "spill catching" capabilities. Suffice it to say, I'll just have to make sure I don't carry anything that will potentially spill. Overall it's going to save the carpet either way though.

The material they use is not the same soft rubber they use in their floor mats, but it's a flexible semi-soft plastic material. As you can see, they did a very good job in matching the form of the trunk area, and I have no complaints about how it fits. There is an area of the trunk by the sub woofer where the floor is a little lower. This causes the mat to bunch up a little because it ends up below the lip of the sub woofer compartment. Trust me though, it's not a big deal at all.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
Sorry folks... I'll post the pics as soon as the the "picture server" starts cooperating.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
Mat Pic 1
Old 03-15-2002, 11:30 AM
Bos

2002 C230K
Mat Pic 2
Old 03-15-2002, 11:43 AM

2002 C320 c2/c3/c4 & command
Bos, it looks very neat and nice. I did check out the site you gave us and the C320 cargo matt cost$89.9 with shipping $9.

Now, I have a question about the D ring I'm using for the net sill. How hard is it to cut the slit to fit the D ring? And Did you do it in yours? I didn't see it in your pitctures. Thanks !!
Old 03-15-2002, 12:19 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Bos, the fit looks great! Almost too good, actually, because if you really want to cut slits for those D rings, you'll have to be very precise on where the slits go, otherwise you could end up with rings slits that don't match the fit of the mat in place.

My suggestion would be to point the floor rings vertically and tape in place with masking tape. Then, coat the top of the rings with vaseline (or something) that will stick to the mat, once you test fit it in place over the rings at attention. Then remove the mat, turn over, and see where the vaseline has made its mark on the underside of the mat. Replace the vaseline marks with a more permanent mark in ink, then start cutting the slit, a little at a time, from middle to outside edge.

If you decided not to cut the slits, the mat would look great, anyway. If needed you could put an old sock/rag under the carpet on the right side to bring the carpet/mat level, too.

Just sticking my nose in with some random thoughts.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:25 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
Originally posted by newMBz
Bos, it looks very neat and nice. I did check out the site you gave us and the C320 cargo matt cost$89.9 with shipping $9.

Now, I have a question about the D ring I'm using for the net sill. How hard is it to cut the slit to fit the D ring? And Did you do it in yours? I didn't see it in your pitctures. Thanks !!
Ya, a little pricey, but probably about the same cost, if not cheaper than replacing the carpet through MB. You are correct, I have not cut the slits for the D-rings yet, but it's not going to be a big deal. The plastic is fairly soft and flexible, so it's just going to be a matter of lining up where they go.

My plan on this is to pull out both the mat and the carpet and lay the carpet on the mat and use it as a template. The other thought I had would be to include tear proof holes at the end of the slits. In other words, cut the slits like this O--------O with a hole at each end. This should also work out well as a place for the D ring to sit, if you get the slit lined up correctly to begin with.

This would also help with the fact that you just cut into a mat that supposed to help prevent spills. Since the slits could be cut in such a way as to line up right around the d-ring and lay flat to help keep out any spills. Albeit, not totally waterproof, but better than a large slit.

Last edited by Bos; 03-15-2002 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:32 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
Originally posted by MB-BOB
My suggestion would be to point the floor rings vertically and tape in place with masking tape. Then, coat the top of the rings with vaseline (or something) that will stick to the mat, once you test fit it in place over the rings at attention. Then remove the mat, turn over, and see where the vaseline has made its mark on the underside of the mat. Replace the vaseline marks with a more permanent mark in ink, then start cutting the slit, a little at a time, from middle to outside edge.
I was actually posting my reply to newMBz when your's came in. By the way, were you an engineer or something in another life? You thoughts on how to line up the rings way out does any plan I could have come up with, and I thought I was ****. Thanks though, I do appreciate the suggestions and compliment.

Last edited by Bos; 03-15-2002 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:07 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Naw, just a shadetree engineer, at best. I like your idea of o----o configuration for the slits.

However, unless you can make these cuts precisely enought, and unless the D-Rings fold flat once through the mat, I wouldn't do it at all. Think about it. The cargo nets is to hold objects between the net and the floor that would otherwise slide around on the carpeting. But, IMO, the grippy mat should hold objects in place without a need for the net (or D-Rings).

My suggestion would be to drive it for a couple weeks with some objects back there to see if the mats do the job. If the objects don't move around, I'd then drop-kick the idea of cutting the mat at all.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:45 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Great, Bos - I was looking for a cargoliner, and I just put in my order.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:49 PM
Bos

2002 C230K
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Naw, just a shadetree engineer, at best. I like your idea of o----o configuration for the slits.

However, unless you can make these cuts precisely enought, and unless the D-Rings fold flat once through the mat, I wouldn't do it at all. Think about it. The cargo nets is to hold objects between the net and the floor that would otherwise slide around on the carpeting. But, IMO, the grippy mat should hold objects in place without a need for the net (or D-Rings).

My suggestion would be to drive it for a couple weeks with some objects back there to see if the mats do the job. If the objects don't move around, I'd then drop-kick the idea of cutting the mat at all.
Great thoughts MB-BOB. In the Coupe, the D-rings don't really lay flat anyway, if pushed through the slits in the carpet. If not, there is a little recessed area under the carpet where they'll actually lay flat. You are also correct that the mat is much stickier by it's very makeup then the carpet. The only dilemma now is whether it's sticky enough to hold the stuff that's always in the car during spirited driving.

Having said that, I don't think I'll be able to live with out the net in place. I also agree about being very precise with the slits. As I said, I'm quite **** when it comes to these things, so I should be able to kill a couple of hours on Sunday.

My thoughts at the moment are to mark where the edges of the D-rings are on the mat. Then I'll use a drill with a bit that's the same size as the diameter of the D-ring post to make the holes. Not that a drill is necessary, just the easiest way I can think of to make a nice round hole. Next, I'll just connect the dots with a utility knife so it creates a very thin slit. We'll see how it goes. When I'm done, I'll be glad to post more pics if anyone is interested.
Old 03-15-2002, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
....anyone know how to mount a compass in the ashtray area?:p

(Sorry, I had to throw that reference in )
Old 03-15-2002, 06:53 PM

Cargo rings/D loops?

Silly question I know, but where are the cargo rings? I didn't see any at the back of my coupe. What are the cargo rings used for???
Old 03-15-2002, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
here's a link that shows them

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=cargo

what about not cutting the slits? when you need the nets, lift the mat from the corners and attach them. the mat would sort of envelope whatever you want to hold. not having the mat, i'm not sure if that would work but i'd try that.

btw, the fit looks so good, you've just convinced me to get one for myself

if you do drill, i'd recommend using a piece of wood underneath to keep the mat flat. but i don't know if you're going to get a clean hole.

Last edited by young; 03-15-2002 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:54 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Originally posted by young

if you do drill, i'd recommend using a piece of wood underneath to keep the mat flat. but i don't know if you're going to get a clean hole.
Or try a hole punch for leather - the local cobbler may let you use his. That's a good way to make a neat, clean hole.

Then use a metal rule to guide the blade.

Hah, this is fun. I love 'hands-on'...