C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C-class a good college car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by MB-BOB

"Butt munch," for example,
1) has nothing to do with MB automobiles
2) is inflammatory, because you've called someone by a derrogatory name... regardless of whether you or I can agree whether it's rancorous or not...
3) was uncalled for, because nothing in this thread prior to it incited you to use the term...

If you can tone-it down a little, think a bit before you write, and confine your remarks to the subject at hand without launching forth with ascerbic, off-topic socio-economic barbs, I think you will find the folks here flexible enough to give you some credence... with time.
MB-BOB

1) You are correct "Butt munch" has nothing to do with MB Automobiles.

2) It is inflammatory, but no more so than his implication that my comments or opinions are unwelcome and boring.

3) His remark about my opinion was also uncalled for, however I don't see anyone jumping up and down telling greg230 to tone it down.

4) I have one simple rule that I don't violate. I never compromise my integrity. The rest of the game is up for grabs.

Your commnets are welcome MB-BOB and I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Regards
WyattEarp
Old 03-18-2002, 12:55 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
no one is jumping at me cause i dont blast people for no reason.

this thread was a debate between coupe vs sedan for a college car.

you could have easily said:

"personally i dont agree with getting a college kid this nice of a car, but the coupe is more functional cause the seats fold down making a big trunk area"

or

"IMO a college kid doesnt need this fancy of a car, but the sedan allows him to easily access the rear seats, making it more convenient if he is gonna drive around his friends."

instead you brought up "prancing around in your C" and "what does it matter what car you bring to college"

your inflamatory... narrow minded... and competely unwilling to even acknowledge your own fault.

I think my original reply to you was both funny, sarcastic, and true to the point you normally make in these kinds of threads, without being as blunt as going to name calling.

greg
"the butt munch"
Old 03-18-2002, 01:03 PM

03 W8 Passat Variant
Originally posted by WyattEarp

Still don't know what that poll was about. That's another thing I would never do. Post on a public forum and then publicly detract my comments by removing them. If I say it, I mean it and I will stick to it. If I made a mistake I will publicly ammend to it. But I will never remove it completely since I consider that to be a spineless act. Not enough strength to hold your ground and not enough strength to publicly admit it.

I removed the poll as others felt it was out of place. I rethought my actions and decided to agree with them. As for being spineless, I disagree, but that's your right. I have plenty of strength to hold my ground, but know when to back down and surrender the battle to the person who must have the last word.
Upon review I realize now that we were a very fun group of Women and Men, who were greatly enjoying our cars. Since you have joined the group this has slowly slid into a battle. From day one, when you didn't even bother to say hi and I am new to the group. You just began a tirade that never ends. I realize by responding that I am just creating another response since you must have the final say. The sad thing is no one wants anyone removed from the forum. But you would think when most people have had a negative comment to your responses that possibly you might change your abrasive ways.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:25 PM

To greg230 affectionately known as butt munch:

You fail to recognize that the reason you are so upset is because my remarks in some way attack your ego. If your ego wasn't so caught up in this then why would you care?

I said exactly what I meant to say when I said "what does it matter what car you bring to college" I was addressing character.

<B>you're inflamatory...</B> Perhaps I am

<B>narrow minded...</B> Unlikely

<B>and competely unwilling to even acknowledge your own fault...</B> I am perfectly willing to acknowledge fault. What's my fault here not saying things the way you would like me to say them?

<I> Originaly posted by benzomonterrey</I>

Upon review I realize now that we were a very fun group of Women and Men, who were greatly enjoying our cars. Since you have joined the group this has slowly slid into a battle. From day one, when you didn't even bother to say hi and I am new to the group
Let me get this straight, I am at fault for the degradation of your enjoyment as well as other individuals in this forum. The mere fact that you can say this leads me to believe that your emotional as well as psychological development have been stunned. I find that remark funny and I thank you, but I cannot take credit. Your enjoyment of this forum (or lack thereof) is entirely your own fault.

Last edited by WyattEarp; 03-18-2002 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2002, 01:43 PM

To greg230 affectionately known as butt munch:

You fail to recognize that the reason you are so upset is because my remarks in some way attack your ego. If your ego wasn't so caught up in this then why would you care?
i am so upset cause your negativity affects the entire mood of this forum. people come here to ask questions about the cars we all love, not to argue societal differences.

yvette just posted about front liscense plates (the flat black one with a star) she asked where she could get one.

I told her where. I didnt wrap that factual response around my opinion on liscense plates. I didnt respond with a simple criticism of front vanity plates. I gave her a straight answer, never did i try and impose MY beliefs on her.

I am caught up on this because i have been on this board for a while, and i dont like seeing people post legitimate questions, and then get attacked cause their question doesnt fit into your understanding of child development.

PERSONALLY i think your grand generalization that kid with nice ride=spoiled kid is wrong. but i dont have a problem with you expressing that opinion if its appropriatly phrased, without deragotory remarks, name calling, or at inappropriate times.

all anyone has asked of you is to tone it down and have some respect for others. you have done neither of them. All you contribute to this board is negativity, hostility, and a base lack of respect. you prove the point that the car you drive doesnt determine what kinda person you are.

I doubt you recieved a nice ride when you were young, and you turned out to be a... nm, not gonna go to your level.

greg
"the butt munch"
Old 03-18-2002, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by greg230

i am so upset cause your negativity affects the entire mood of this forum. people come here to ask questions about the cars we all love, not to argue societal differences.

yvette just posted about front liscense plates (the flat black one with a star) she asked where she could get one.

I told her where. I didnt wrap that factual response around my opinion on liscense plates. I didnt respond with a simple criticism of front vanity plates. I gave her a straight answer, never did i try and impose MY beliefs on her.

I am caught up on this because i have been on this board for a while, and i dont like seeing people post legitimate questions, and then get attacked cause their question doesnt fit into your understanding of child development.

PERSONALLY i think your grand generalization that kid with nice ride=spoiled kid is wrong. but i dont have a problem with you expressing that opinion if its appropriatly phrased, without deragotory remarks, name calling, or at inappropriate times.

all anyone has asked of you is to tone it down and have some respect for others. you have done neither of them. All you contribute to this board is negativity, hostility, and a base lack of respect. you prove the point that the car you drive doesnt determine what kinda person you are.

I doubt you recieved a nice ride when you were young, and you turned out to be a... nm, not gonna go to your level.

greg
"the butt munch"
1) Here is another person that can attribute the mood of the entire forum to the comments of one individual. Thank you again, I do not think though I am capable of that. Your own mind has conjured that up.

2) I did not attack the young man / woman. By making some pointed comments I force him/her to consider other issues.
My initial comments to him / her were:
Why does it matter what car you take to college? I'm assuming you are going there to study not to win a popularity contest, right? In that case for your purposes any car that will get you to your point of duty (classroom) on time and safely will do fine. I think a honda civic should be just perfect.
This does not lack respect or have negativity. It addresses a more human point and character issues. Things I wished for him/her to consider.

3) I can see you are chomping at the bit to insult me. Indulge yourself, trust me I won't get offended and it might keep you from bursting a blood vessel. Whatever high ground you seek you've already lost by your implicit remarks.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:08 PM

i see how one can best deal with a person like you

*clicks on the ignore button*

i can only hope others have the same common sense.

greg
Old 03-18-2002, 02:25 PM

03 W8 Passat Variant
I did just now. Thanks for reminding me it's there.
Old 03-18-2002, 05:08 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Re: wyatt..

Originally posted by Scylas
why should he get a civic if he can get a Mercedes? just wondering...
I think there are actually plenty of reasons. I guess some schools may be different from others, but both through college (4 years) and graduate school (3 years), I did not even WANT to have the worry of a nice car. Most of the parking situations are bad. The car ends up sitting around a lot. There are a lot of drunk people around. College cars just plain tend to get trashed. A nice, new car would have been more of a headache to me than anything else. I am a total car nut, but there were just so many other things in college to keep me occupied.

I left getting a nice car until I was working and had a house and garage to keep it in.

(although there is an interesting article in this week's Newsweek, called "Dude, Where's My Benz" about MB's move downmarket, how it may dilute their image, and about high school students driving the new "cloth interior, 4 cylinder hatchback Mercedes" (their words, not mine) to school).
Old 03-18-2002, 05:20 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
man........

whichever u decided to go.......u'll get all the nice ladies besides you.....

one tip:

go and reserve a parking space, where u won't get any dents...

pohaha
Old 03-18-2002, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I agree with Toki, get reserve. It may cost more but you will be happy you dont get dents and you got a parking space to go to. I had a Talon, then BMW, then Merc in my long days at UCI. All I can say is whereever you go just be careful. My friend just had his integra stolen from UCI parking lot. I had my clear corners and side markers stolen from my BMW at the UCI parking lot. Hmm. Tells you something right there.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:07 PM

'05 c240 4matic wagon
Why does it matter what car you take to college? I'm assuming you are going there to study not to win a popularity contest, right? In that case for your purposes any car that will get you to your point of duty (classroom) on time and safely will do fine. I think a honda civic should be just perfect.
Hoho, Earp - I *knew* this would get you started...here we go again. Aaaaaaaaahlookout!
Old 03-18-2002, 09:14 PM

i think you missed the fire fight earlier today... it was pretty funny.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:22 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
my personal opinion is in line with many other things said. If the car stands out AT ALL, it will get beat up, abused, vandalized....

I drove a '92 integra though college ('98-02)(recently traded up), and that car... never worth over $10,000 got a lot of attention (not good attention either) I survived by living off campus and parking in a secure garage (at the office... and walk the 4 blocks to campus). the C240 WILL stand out, because it looks like a more expensive car. the C230 may be a little more low-profile, becaue the shape says "kid-car" and doesn't invite attention the way a $35,000 luxury car would.

in all, I would have rather spent 15-grand on a nice used car and invested the rest for a NICE ride at graduation.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

personally I agree with Dasmafia...

i would not go wiht the benz either for f'man year college.. i would save that to get when you graduate.. my 9K civic EX with 1K rims got me plenty of attention... and the good kind

but it's upto you...
Old 03-18-2002, 09:41 PM

c230 kompressor
I honestly agree with you guys, that it would be a good idea to wait and such... but you have no idea how bad I want it lol. I dont think I can turn it down.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i thnk we all have an idea on how bad you want it.. we all felt that way.. that's why we got em...

dont' listen to us.. bottom line is that you'll be the benz.. just which type is the question... look at em both and pick.. or you can do what i did to pick my basketball teams.. use a quarter.....
Old 03-18-2002, 10:08 PM

BigB333 where are you going to school?

I feel that it is fine college car. I got the coupe, but sometimes i regret not getting the sedan.

U can drive the coupe a little more recklessly. But if u can get the coupe with the same things as the sedan inside, id get the coupe.

~fk
Old 03-18-2002, 11:19 PM

c230 kompressor
I am thinking about going to TCU. As far as options, if i got the C240, I would get the command and maybe Xenons.. is there a way to get xenons without the stupid heated front seat and washers. My dad is only going to pay so much so im going to have to stick up some... i will be broke, but it will be worth it
Old 03-18-2002, 11:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the only way to get only xenons is to buy it aftermarket seperately... i didn't get xenons either simply because it was packaged in stuff i didnt want.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:39 PM

BigB

The sedan is a good choice.....this is what youre gonna be bothered with.

1. can i have a ride
2. can i borrow your car
3. you are the designated driver
4. you will almost always drive people around

*and the rest of worrying about a car... but no matter what kind of car you have you have to worry about door dents and scratches and those things...

if you get the coupe u can avoid those things...
also getting a manual will help avoid 80% of the people asking to borrow your car.

but i say test drive both...take some hard turns...etc and see what you like better.

~fk
Old 03-19-2002, 08:31 AM

c230 kompressor
ok thanks for all your help guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:44 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
BigB333, DasMafia and Fuzzo have made some very interesting remarks. Now that I understand Dad is footing at least part of the bill, I'm sure he'd be impressed (and astonished) if you were to suggest putting a good portion (or all) of his contribution in a money market fund, or certificate of deposit for use on a dream car when you graduate.

You'll still need to tap out your other resources to buy a used car that'll fit in at TCU, (or a new $14K Civic 5spd) but if you can get a decent interest rate, you can make that money grow a good 30% or so in 4 years. Add that to your trade-in...

Who knows (and this is a little secret, so keep it mum), if dad is willing to be generous now, he may be so impressed with your level-headedness, that he might offer some additional help when you graduate, just as a reward for your foresight and patience. In the meantime you could bet the farm that'll he'll tell anyone who cares to listen how proud he is of you for sacrificing now for later rewards.

Just some additional thoughts.

Last edited by MB-BOB; 03-19-2002 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by MB-BOB
Who knows (and this is a little secret, so keep it mum), if dad is willing to be generous now, he may be so impressed with your level-headedness, that he might offer some additional help when you graduate, just as a reward for your foresight and patience. In the meantime you could bet the farm that'll he'll tell anyone who cares to listen how proud he is of you for sacrificing now for later rewards.
Hmmmm. Good black mail stuff here! Should we forward this to MB-BOB's daughter?? :p
Old 03-19-2002, 10:06 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
LOL! Rev. I'm toying with this idea myself for her. But I think you would agree it would be so much nicer to have the idea come from our young adults, yes?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C-class a good college car?