C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: What would you do in my situation?
take a gamble with $3250 and hope it gets fixed
50.00%
put $3250 towards a Non European car under 10k
0%
If it gets fixed sell it
0%
if it gets fixed keep it
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

MAJOR problem already at 30k miles ! Please HELP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
MAJOR problem already at 30k miles ! Please HELP

Hey guys i have been lurking here for quite a while now , and decided to finally ask you guys whats wrong.
Here is how the story goes :
My garage kept car had been sitting for 6 years , finally got it out this year and got everything serviced and tuned ready to go(new oil,battery,filters etc).
First week of the car ran perfect !
then after 2 weeks i installed some subs and new aftermarket radio. a week later there was one time where my car had no crank no start (nothing) as if the battery were dead but without the clicking (lights and windows are working) . took the key out and then back in and it started. fast forward to about 3 weeks : it started to take three tries to start instead of one. i had to take the key out and put it back in three times , on third time it would start with NO hesitation and runs perfectly. Then i noticed its getting progressively worse NOW it wont even start PERIOD. no matter how many times you put the key in our out it wont start. I have tried jump starting it , still no start. Then i tried it with my SPARE key and still NO start. Took it to a local mechanic and they took an hour and then said they need 4 more hours to find out what it is . they said it is not the battery it has something to do electrically and it may be a NETWORK ISSUE . I felt uncomfortable and took the car to the DEALER thinking they will know better. AS OF NOW IT HAS BEEN 40 DAYS SINCE ITS BEEN AT THE DEALER. When they finally got to my car they said its perfectly fine , nothing is wrong and take it back. I was FURIOUS because i told them this problem happens sometimes , one day it will start perfectly the other day it will not start. They said they will try to diagnose it again. Finally they called me saying that there is something wrong. He told me it they are down to two possible causes EIS OR ME .
He said he is 99% sure the EIS will fix it, so i gave him an okay and he got it installed , but guess what IT WASNT NEEDED , IT DIDNT FIX IT ! . He charged me $1500 for the EIS and it did NOT fix the problem. So $1500 down the drain.Now he wants an additional $2500 for the M.E . I was pretty mad so we talked to the mercedes HEADQUARTERS and told them so they offered us 20 % off on the whole repair. It seemed meh to me but I HAD only 2 options either get the car fixed for like 4K or instead of gambling whether it will fix the problem or not just put it as a down payment towards another car. I went for option 1 to fix it after the dealer dropped the price from $4000 to $3250. My biggest fear is if even after replacing the M.E it doesnt get fixed! then what ? Did i make the right gamble ? i want to get some more life out of my car since its only 30k miles . I honestly thought Mercedes were really reliable IF taken care well , but sadly thats not in my case. Car make and model: c230 coupe 2003 1.8L Some mods that may affect ?? Custom single exhaust , subs, stereo , Neon underglow lol and thats it .
Old 11-09-2014, 02:53 PM

2001 C320 w/ Sprt Pkg
For them to say that replacing the EIS would fix it and it not being fixed, I would be throwing a fit, more so because of the amount of money you spent on the repair. I think that if they stated something would be fixed for X amount of money, it should be fixed, no matter what. I wouldn't spend another dime. You trusted their expertise on the repair, they told you what "it was" and it didn't work. They should find out what it REALLY is and replace it on their own dime.

I know this might seem rather silly, but have you considered checking the CPS in the car? It is known to cause issues with start-up and may be purely coincidental that it went around the same time you did your audio upgrade. It's worth a shot!

Good luck.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:11 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by neurodave
For them to say that replacing the EIS would fix it and it not being fixed, I would be throwing a fit, more so because of the amount of money you spent on the repair. I think that if they stated something would be fixed for X amount of money, it should be fixed, no matter what. I wouldn't spend another dime. You trusted their expertise on the repair, they told you what "it was" and it didn't work. They should find out what it REALLY is and replace it on their own dime.

I know this might seem rather silly, but have you considered checking the CPS in the car? It is known to cause issues with start-up and may be purely coincidental that it went around the same time you did your audio upgrade. It's worth a shot!

Good luck.
I tried to look up what CPS is . got a slight idea but still don't understand. And how would you check if it is bad ,do I ask the dealer to check because he has the car now
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by ak47007
Hey guys i have been lurking here for quite a while now , and decided to finally ask you guys whats wrong.
Here is how the story goes :
My garage kept car had been sitting for 6 years , finally got it out this year and got everything serviced and tuned ready to go(new oil,battery,filters etc).
First week of the car ran perfect !
then after 2 weeks i installed some subs and new aftermarket radio. a week later there was one time where my car had no crank no start (nothing) as if the battery were dead but without the clicking (lights and windows are working) . took the key out and then back in and it started. fast forward to about 3 weeks : it started to take three tries to start instead of one. i had to take the key out and put it back in three times , on third time it would start with NO hesitation and runs perfectly. Then i noticed its getting progressively worse NOW it wont even start PERIOD. no matter how many times you put the key in our out it wont start. I have tried jump starting it , still no start. Then i tried it with my SPARE key and still NO start. Took it to a local mechanic and they took an hour and then said they need 4 more hours to find out what it is . they said it is not the battery it has something to do electrically and it may be a NETWORK ISSUE . I felt uncomfortable and took the car to the DEALER thinking they will know better. AS OF NOW IT HAS BEEN 40 DAYS SINCE ITS BEEN AT THE DEALER. When they finally got to my car they said its perfectly fine , nothing is wrong and take it back. I was FURIOUS because i told them this problem happens sometimes , one day it will start perfectly the other day it will not start. They said they will try to diagnose it again. Finally they called me saying that there is something wrong. He told me it they are down to two possible causes EIS OR ME .
He said he is 99% sure the EIS will fix it, so i gave him an okay and he got it installed , but guess what IT WASNT NEEDED , IT DIDNT FIX IT ! . He charged me $1500 for the EIS and it did NOT fix the problem. So $1500 down the drain.Now he wants an additional $2500 for the M.E . I was pretty mad so we talked to the mercedes HEADQUARTERS and told them so they offered us 20 % off on the whole repair. It seemed meh to me but I HAD only 2 options either get the car fixed for like 4K or instead of gambling whether it will fix the problem or not just put it as a down payment towards another car. I went for option 1 to fix it after the dealer dropped the price from $4000 to $3250. My biggest fear is if even after replacing the M.E it doesnt get fixed! then what ? Did i make the right gamble ? i want to get some more life out of my car since its only 30k miles . I honestly thought Mercedes were really reliable IF taken care well , but sadly thats not in my case. Car make and model: c230 coupe 2003 1.8L Some mods that may affect ?? Custom single exhaust , subs, stereo , Neon underglow lol and thats it .
I don't think the crankshaft position sensor will keep it from cranking. But the shift selector switch will.
Good luck with it.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 AM

2003 C230 Coupe
FORGOT TO MENTION

The car is stick shift if that helps .
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by ak47007
The car is stick shift if that helps .
Then my suggestion wasn't very helpful. Instead check the safety switch on the clutch pedal.
Bringing back a car that has been parked for several years is always going to wake up some gremlins.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:54 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by KSKarl
Then my suggestion wasn't very helpful. Instead check the safety switch on the clutch pedal.
Bringing back a car that has been parked for several years is always going to wake up some gremlins.
Ok will ask the dealer to check for that . Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 09:08 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
GOT AN UPDATE : CAR IS FIXED!

Ok so i have good news , the dealer replaced the M.E but that did Not solve the problem so they did not charge me for it thats 2500$ they didnt charge even though the M.E is non refundable and vin specific. The Problem was ... DRUM ROLL.... the steering lock or steering column so they got that fixed and now the total is $2150 instead of $3250 . THATS OVER 1000 DOLLAR SAVINGS !!. and 2100 is not that bad in my opinion. Thank you guys for all your comments and suggestions !