C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Black cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 kompressor
Black cars

For those of you who have black cars, do you have trouble keeping it clean, and scratch free?
Old 03-20-2002, 09:54 PM

C320
black cars are always harder to maintain...
it can be a real pain sometimes...
the best way would be to use the 2 bucket method (search the forum for more info)
but I just wash it with a really soft cloth with lots of car shampoo..
theres lots of scratches everywhere but its not really noticeable so i dont mind...

good luck trying to keep it scratch free--!!!!

calvin
Old 03-20-2002, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
is that a trick question

They are notoriously difficult. They can look great the day you clean it and two days later, look like it needs a wash. But they do look amazing when they are clean and waxed. just make sure you only wipe in one direction. do not wipe in circles. Just back and forth. Follow the lines of the car.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:04 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
black

to me they are very hard to keep it would be the only color i would get in this car. but i wash it 3 times a week and usually wax it at least once a month. but as vinmanc32 said they get dirty no matter what in 2 days. but if they are ever any scratches i just use wax or a wax type sctatch remover. but once they are freshly washed and or waxed is even better, they look great to me theres no other color nicer. (thats only when clean)
Old 03-20-2002, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Black. The absence of all color, or is it light, or both? Harder to keep looking clean. But when it is clean and shiny it looks the best. I agree with vinmac32 in the method...front to rear. All finishes regardless of color scratch the same. The thing that makes them more noticeable also makes them look better....refraction. So I am a black fan when it comes to pure depth of shine. And my C320 is black. AIO, SG, Blitz, and EM.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:41 PM

C320
One thing to add-

its especially bad if you live in an area where dust is a problem...
i live in irvine (near L.A) and it can get really bad...
My car is covered with dust the very next day after i was it...
gets on my nerves... but I'm still gonna keep it black coz IT IS THE NICEST color... especially on a benz....

calvin
Old 03-20-2002, 10:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Black cars are a pain in the ****, but they sho do look purdy when they're clean!!

Some of you are more dedicated than I am, for I only wash my car about once a week, unless it really needs it more often. I try to put a coat of wax (I've been using Zaino since I bought the car) on about once a month. I use a California Duster inbetween washes, normally every night.

I agree with the before stated ways of wiping in one direction and NEVER in a circular motion. So far, no swirl marks (at least none that are very noticable ). If I do get swirl marks, I will try a good swirl mark remover.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:03 PM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
i usually wash her once a week, wax once a month, wax the wheels every 2 weeks.

in between washes i use a large california car duster, in a single direction to remove any dust (very light pressure). works very well, cept you....

MUST WASH THE BRUSH EVERY TIME YOU USE IT!!!

or you just streak dust back over your car

i have the MB kit thing.... it works pretty well i guess.... gonna try zaino when it gets warmer.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:24 PM

c230 kompressor
so why is it that you can't take a benz through the car wash?
Old 03-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C-Coupe
Had a black car before i bought the coupe. Never again
Old 03-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by greg230
i use a large california car duster, in a single direction to remove any dust (very light pressure). works very well, cept you....

MUST WASH THE BRUSH EVERY TIME YOU USE IT!!!

or you just streak dust back over your car
I've never had to wash my brush. It's about 3 months old now, and I use it every day! Plus, the brush has some kind of oil (?) in it. Wouldn't washing it take this out? The directions say to let it air out before the first use, and then just to shake it out before and after each use. So far, I've been very impressed with it. Not only removes the dust, but brings up a glossy shine.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:54 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
I've had black cars since the beginning... and I'll never drive anything else... pretty easy to keep clean (enough). I wash mine once a week in a "touchless" wash (I'm lazy, so sue me). if I'm going out cruising or taking my wife out for her B-Day or our anniversary, I'll hand wash it and polish it. I just never want to see another plastic rear window (convertible) ever again... they are just wrong.

bottom line, black cars are beautiful, elegant, mysterious, and dynamic. its all good.

Last edited by dasMafia; 03-21-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by BigB333
so why is it that you can't take a benz through the car wash?
I can't speak for everyone, but I really don't like automatic car washes. The brushes/cloths that they use contain dirt and soil from other cars that can scratch your paint. I've also heard some people say that the brush-less ones have too much water pressure and can strip wax, and even damage the paint. I haven't used them too much, so I don't know if this is fact or not.

Edit: I meant to say touch-less car washes.

Last edited by revstriker; 03-20-2002 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2002, 12:13 AM
Almost a Member!

2004.5 C320sport 6-speed
Black cars

i will wash my car by myself two times a week in the summer and i will go to touchless carwash in the gas startion in the winter time when is get dirty

when is snowing or raining, i won't drive my C...i will use my van ....

Kevin
Old 03-21-2002, 12:16 AM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Originally posted by revstriker
I can't speak for everyone, but I really don't like automatic car washes. The brushes/cloths that they use contain dirt and soil from other cars that can scratch your paint. I've also heard some people say that the brush-less ones have too much water pressure and can strip wax, and even damage the paint. I haven't used them too much, so I don't know if this is fact or not.

Edit: I meant to say touch-less car washes.
I try to avoid the automatic washes, and some "touchless" washes can be damaging. I'm pretty happy with mine and I keep the car well waxed (once every 6 weeks).... it never sits in the sun, so that helps too. if I had a house and a driveway and a garden hose, I'd do it myself, but that requires a trip to my parents place.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
As for as a black car, this is my first and last black car. It's so hard to keep clean. I've decided that red is the easiest color to keep clean.

Don't take you car through a car wash with brushes! I did and the brushes were dirty. I have stratches on my car now. I called Shell, and my guess is they will end up paying for a major detailing to remove them, but it's a pain.
Old 03-21-2002, 01:52 AM

C230K
Re: black

Originally posted by BlackC230Coupe
to me they are very hard to keep it would be the only color i would get in this car. but i wash it 3 times a week and usually wax it at least once a month. but as vinmanc32 said they get dirty no matter what in 2 days. but if they are ever any scratches i just use wax or a wax type sctatch remover. but once they are freshly washed and or waxed is even better, they look great to me theres no other color nicer. (thats only when clean)
3 times a week. that's hardcore. my uncle has a hand car wash. problem kind of solved. even if black is a pain to keep clean, i still think it looks the best. it's just something about it. it catches the light just right and accents the lines of the car.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:07 AM

C32 AMG
I wash my car once a week when the weather is good (i.e not raining the next day or two). The dust shows up quite easily on a black car so I've ordered Kozak and Cal Car Duster to keep the dust away, but they're not here yet. I'll inform you guys which one is better.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:47 AM

Import
My only purchase regret (other than larger engine, etc) is not getting the opal / metal flake finish. It's amazing what a difference it can make in regard to the swirl problem. However... a clean and shiny black benz is hard to beat.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Black cars look best when you first pick them up from a NEW car dealer. The "wow appeal" when it rolls off a show room floor and they hand you the keys....it's just awesome.

My Eagle Talon was black...it shined like a mirror, but it also showed every ding and scratch.
(then the clear coat crazed, and Chrysler paid for acrylic repaint)

My MG's are both black(Limited Editions)...they park in a garage, always get covered when not being driven and never EVER get scratched.

Would I buy another black car? (see below)