C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230k vs. Mustang

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2002 | 12:57 PM

2002 C230k
C230k vs. Mustang

Here is a comparison I don't belive that anyone has made. I will likely purchase a new c230k, but I thought that I would look at a new mustang just to see what it was like.

The build quality of the mustang was better than I expected, but I was kinda disappointed with the power. It has 260 hp, but it didn't feel like that much. Of course, I didn't floor it, but I was still expecting more umph at partial throttle.

The other problem with the stang is they are more common than BMWs.
Old 03-24-2002 | 02:08 PM

I have a 96 Mustang Cobra convertible, so maybe I can provide a little insight. Although my C230K won't be here for another week, I have driven a friend's Kompressor quite a bit and have checked them out fairly well.

The Cobra has 305HP, and can get up and go, no question about it. The quality is pretty good, and I haven't had any problems at all, and I have about 55,000 miles so far. However, the comparison of the Mustang vs. the C230K in my opinion is apples and oranges. If you want a race car or a fast toy, I'd say get the Mustang. The new GT has 260HP, and I've ridden in several of them. The difference in a Cobra and GT are fractions of seconds in terms of 0-60 and quarter mile times, so even the GT is a great performer. But....if you want a well built, sporty little coupe with a heritage of quality and prestiege, I think it has to be the C230K. They are totally different kinds of vehicles so you need to decide which you are looking for and be happy.

While on the subject, I don't personally like the comparisons of the C230K to the Celica, Acura RSX, Solara, or Eclipse. To me, the C230K is dfferent even than those cars. I don't really see a comparable car to the C230K. It's seems to be a really good combination of quality, classic heritage, great looks and affordability. The other cars have some combination of those attributes, but not all. Just my .02....
Old 03-24-2002 | 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I came from a Mustang and considered a new one but the biggest hold back was the all new Mustang for 2004 with the Lincoln LS chassis. That has always been my complaint about the current Mustang, outdated chassis. But basically I coulda gotten a brand new GT Convertible for about the same price as a stripped C230K. Of course you don't get the free maintenance or loaners like you do a MB but then Mustangs don't break down as much as MBs so the loaner is not as necessary and maintenance isn't that bad as long as you don't go to the dealer (2 dealers wanted $600 for the 30K service with no tune up required). The GT convertible is a fun car. One reason the C230 might have felt like it has better throttle response is because it's a throttle by wire system. The Mustang uses a throttle cable like most cars. They have different rear end options on the Mustang and getting a 3.73 would spice things up. Also and add on chip module will help tighten up the auto's shift points and add a few ponies.

The good thing about Mustangs is that you can modify the hell out of it and the parts and labor are cheap compared to European tuners and labor. For example my daughter ripped the rear axle almost off the car two months ago, that would have been a few thousand dollar repair on an MB but $450 for a used complete rear end (caliper to caliper) and $270 installation. She didn't have power seats and she's short so I got a set of tracks and switches from a salvage yard for $125 and in a few hours she had power seats. My biggest dissapointment trying to modify an MB is the cost of simple things are outrageous, for example I want to increase boost on the supercharger, on a Pontiac, a supercharger pulley from ASP Racing is $99 list (and you can get it for $79), from RennTech a pulley is $1,649 list and you can get it for about $1,449. BTW I used Pontiac as an example because it uses the same brand supercharger as the MB, Eaton. I call it the MB tax, you want a $99 pulley, just add the $1,350 MB tax. They'll make some excuse that it's made from high tech alloys, geez, just make a steel pulley like the factory did, just a different size. That applies to everything else like they want a grand for the CD changer installed where on the Mustang you get a CD standard. You want 17" wheels, that's an option on the Benz, standard on the GT. You want to change the radio, not that easy on the MB. You want to add a subwoofer, not that easy on the MB. It seems that no matter what you want to do you have to pay the MB tax.

Then with the MB you have to deal with all the morons that have more expensive MBs than you that keep saying stupid things like "Is the C-Coupe diminishing the brand image of Mercedes" like there car is worthless if someone like me can go to their dealer and drive home in a brand new MB for 25K (wait until the A-Class comes out). I've endured all this type of BS when I bought my first MB, an '84 190D in 1983. All I heard from other MB owners was, is that the "Baby Benz" in a condecending tone of voice. With the Mustang I got lots of compliments, no put downs (except my buddy with a Camaro). Nobody with a Ford Crown Vic said that Fords brand image was dimished because I drove a Mustang.

Good luck in your quest. It's a tough choice, pick the best car not necessarily the one with then best "brand image".
Old 03-24-2002 | 03:08 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
I dont think the cars are comparable...

Maybe only in speed, the GT eats the c230k, but the C coupe beats the normal Mustang..
Old 03-25-2002 | 11:14 AM

ive killed some newer GT's
Old 03-25-2002 | 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sure Benzy, with the supercharger pulley, 6 speed and some NO2 you can probably beat a Cobra. But a stock C230 manual vs. a stock Mustang GT manual all you would see is tail lights. Put a blower or NO2 in the GT and see who wins the drag race! Heck I tried and couldn't keep up with a friends stock '94 GT let alone a 260hp new one.

BTW, is your mechanic going to come out with a pulley kit anytime soon? Has the serpentine belt on the supercharger pulley been holding up OK? I ask because some think that the radius is too small and it may cause premature belt wear.
Old 03-25-2002 | 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
Buellwinkle, I don't think it's possible to put a smaller od pulley on the blower. If you shrink the OD you must also shrink the ID because the wall thinkness of the pulley appears to be thin to begin with. The ID of the stock pulley appers to just clear the "nose" of the blower. Any smaller and it may interfere. I make these assumptions based on the picture below.

You may be able to shave a small amount off the OD but I think a crank pulley is the only option. From what I've read here (I haven't shopped for a pulley kit), I think all the tuner's pulley kits are crank-only.
Old 03-25-2002 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to Benzy230, he used a smaller supercharger pulley, also there's a tuner in San Diego, forgot their name but they do a smaller supercharger pulley and chip for the C230. On other cars like the Eaton M90 on the GM cars or the supercharger on the 1989 MR2, they sell different diameter supercharger pullies.

You can do a pulley that's very small. You can remove the pulley and cut the belt grooves on the shaft, the question is will it work for very long and that's what remains to be seen. Benzy hasn't reported any problems yet.

Any news for use Benzy?
Old 03-29-2002 | 04:12 PM

haha...its funny you should ask. I have not been on for quiet sometime. As for Rob, well...they just had their baby boy, and he has not been in the shop for about a week. As far as the pulley goes. So far everything was good up until 2 weeks ago. I was going to go cruising with some buddies of mine, and when I got in atlanta their was a turbo'd SI.

He wanted to race and I was like.....alright. He told me what he had done and I told him. I had just changed my pills earlier in the week (to a 100). We went at it about 3 times. Both times I was able to pull him, the 3rd time....nope. Lets just say I had to have my car hauled back to chattanooga.

As far as what is wrong, I really dont know. We have yet to take it apart to find out. Somehow I do not think this is going to be all that fun.

If we do decide to take the engine apart, I will post pics and videos of some of the process. I "highly" doubt I will. I think that Rob will buy it and then do something crazy with it. I really have no idea. I will keep everyone informed about the car though.

--benzy
Old 03-29-2002 | 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You are a wild one. I still want to do the pulley, just not the highest priority now. Ideally I would like to get a factory crankshaft pulley, send it to ASP in TX and have them make one a little larger. I get lazy sometimes and wonder if it's all worth it or just buy a grossly overpriced Vaeth, H&S, Renntech, Brubas or Wetteraur pulley.

These little 4 & 6 cyl motors are just too little for you. Why don't you get a new corvette and put the Lingerfelder (or whatever his name is) supercharger kit and get a nice clean respectable 500HP that you can drive around every day and drag race on the weekends without fear of blowing a motor. There's no replacement for displacement.
Old 03-29-2002 | 05:13 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
I was comign back from a club last night on I-95

When a red Mustang GT (the model previus to the last one) wanted to race me, there was not too much traffic so we raced from 70 to 115, I beat him by about a car but I think he just didnt know how to drive, after I beat him he tried to cut me off twice (crazy ****)...
Old 03-29-2002 | 05:42 PM

haha...i try to be! Because I have a lexus that is in the works

After all that I have went through, I would just buy a pulley from a company. It was a lot of time, money, and really ridiculous for all the time and effort spent. But hey...to each its own!