C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Control Arm or Sway Bar Bushings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2015 | 07:14 PM

2002 C320
Control Arm or Sway Bar Bushings?

I have an 02 C320. Anytime I'm making a right turn at around 30+mph or am driving over 55+mph the car begins shaking hard on the left front side. I suspect its either the control arm or sway bar bushing. Im leaning towards its being more likely the sway bar bushings, since I just replaced the control arms on the vehicle approximately two years ago. My question is what is the best way I can figure out which of these two might be the culprit? Thanks for the help always appreciated.
Old 08-22-2015 | 12:18 PM

2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
I really don't think the sway bar bushings would have anything to do with your car shaking. All the sway bar does is control the body roll when the suspension compresses more on one side than the other.

Dos your car wander left or right when driving straight and holding the steering wheel steadily?

It's possible your control arm went bad in 2 years, but it could be a number of possibilities (alignment, tire balance or uneven wear, ball joints, strut, etc, etc. etc). Probably your best bet is to take it to an alignment or suspension shop to have them give it a once-over.
Old 08-25-2015 | 04:42 AM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD
I really don't think the sway bar bushings would have anything to do with your car shaking. All the sway bar does is control the body roll when the suspension compresses more on one side than the other.

Dos your car wander left or right when driving straight and holding the steering wheel steadily?

It's possible your control arm went bad in 2 years, but it could be a number of possibilities (alignment, tire balance or uneven wear, ball joints, strut, etc, etc. etc). Probably your best bet is to take it to an alignment or suspension shop to have them give it a once-over.
Thanks
Old 08-25-2015 | 08:30 PM

2002 C320
Originally Posted by EuroDriverSD

it doesnt wander. but I also forgot to mention that it does also occur when braking to a full stop from any speed over 30mph. I've also taken the tire off and havent seen any unusual wear.
Old 08-26-2015 | 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Have you checked that the tires are still balanced?
Old 09-30-2015 | 05:04 PM

2002 C320
I ended up replacing both the front control arms and the sway bar end link. Unfortunately, neither of these things fixed the issue. I thought I had fixed it, after replacing the sway bar end link. But that was short lived after driving 5 miles or so it started happening again. And it's gradually gotten worse. Now anytime applying the brakes at over 10-15mph the front left drivers side shakes significantly. And when steering right the front left wheel literally feels like it might fall off. The further turning right, the harder it shakes. This only happens when turning right, left hand turns it seems to be completely fine. Is it possible that it may be an issue with the wheel bearings?

I do own a Star Diagnosis and am able to at least run a scan. But unfortunately I am still very inexperienced in using it, and am not sure exactly what I should be looking for in the results of it.
Old 09-30-2015 | 07:22 PM

C230 COUPE 2003 M271
Originally Posted by Blackbradpitt
I ended up replacing both the front control arms and the sway bar end link. Unfortunately, neither of these things fixed the issue. I thought I had fixed it, after replacing the sway bar end link. But that was short lived after driving 5 miles or so it started happening again. And it's gradually gotten worse. Now anytime applying the brakes at over 10-15mph the front left drivers side shakes significantly. And when steering right the front left wheel literally feels like it might fall off. The further turning right, the harder it shakes. This only happens when turning right, left hand turns it seems to be completely fine. Is it possible that it may be an issue with the wheel bearings?

I do own a Star Diagnosis and am able to at least run a scan. But unfortunately I am still very inexperienced in using it, and am not sure exactly what I should be looking for in the results of it.
it does sound like a wheel bearing on the front left wheel, as you say it makes the noise turning right which shifts the weight/forces to the front left wheel. Jack the car up and grab the wheel and 12 and 6 o'clock and see if you can move it and feel play in the wheel. if there is play, remove the wheel and try to visually identify where the movement is occuring. you may need a pry bar or similar at this point due to the extra effort to move the suspension components and wheel bearing carrier
Old 09-30-2015 | 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
There are 4 control arms in the front (2 per wheel). A bad ball joint will create exactly what you described there. A hub could too, but the ball joints on the W203 are known to not last too long.