C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Increase resale value with adding retrofits/mods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Post Increase resale value with adding retrofits/mods?

I have decided to sell my '05 C230K in favour of going back to BMW, as this car feels rather cheap and is much slower than the E39 I have sitting beside it everyday that use to be my DD (please don't flame for this, I know what forum I am on) I am wondering what retrofits/modifications will increase the resale value of my C230K. I need to get minimum of 10k $$ out of this thing and right now the average resale price in my area is at the 8.5k $$ mark. This is the only C230K Sport sedan in my province that I know of, so province wide rarity will be on my side.

I have the following retrofits in mind:

- Finishing the BT phone functionality (still need the BT puck and trunk module, but everything else is there)

- Retrofitting the command Audio/Nav system (I don't know if this will be in conflict with BT compatibility, since the pre-wiring for the BT phone functionality is already in the car)

- Bi-xenon headlamps and auto leveling retrofit (I haven't been able to find any diy's on the auto leveling retrofit, but I have all the info I need for the Bi-xenon bit)

For modifications:

- Making the exhaust a bit more noticeable and better sounding tone (not too loud, just better sound quality and a touch more volume when on the throttle)

- Kleemann Header (this is probably too expensive unless someone has a used one for cheap)

- A smaller S/C pulley or over-sized crank pulley (anyone have one for sale? I can't seem to find one anywhere)

- Deleting the S/C resonator pipe or S/C muffler as some people call it (I have a nice bright blue powder coated aluminum intercooler pipe with all needed t-clamps and silicone couplers to make for a very clean install)

- Either a custom tune or Eurocharged tune (dependent on how far with the engine/supercharger/exhaust mods I decide to go)

- Sprint booster (not a power adder, but increase in throttle response could add to resale value)

- Coil over kit (will be going with an H&R Street coilover set if I go this route)

- Will be buying some offset chrome 18x7 (front) and 18x8 (rear) wheels this fall, as I will be using the Elbrus 18x7 wheels for winter since they have minor scuffs already.

That's everything I had in mind, but I'm open to any additions people might have. Anyone have any ideas how far I will have to go to get past the 10k mark for resale? The new wheels, BT phone functionality, and the S/C resonator delete WILL be happening. But the rest is up in the air until I get a better idea of how close to 10k I will be at after those three. The car has 178,000km on it and zero interior or mechanical issues. But the hood and front bumper is being repainted to repair some rock chips from previous owner, so I'm trying to get it out in the next two months before something breaks on me. I have attached a pic to spark interest. I went the next province over (800 kms) but only paid 6K for this since the previous owner was in quite a bind financially. That said I need at least 10k for the bimmer I have my eye on, so that's what I'm shooting for.
Attached Thumbnails Increase resale value with adding retrofits/mods?-20150829_211748-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Tuner; 09-02-2015 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
im my opinion i think leaving the car in stock form will get you the best price.
By adding other stuff you will definately pay more and how does it then work out to sell the car for a higher price?!?
Old 09-02-2015, 03:42 AM

2016 C450 AMG
I dont mind losing a bit of my short term investment, if the cash out price in the end is right. For example:

I use to have a 1994 Honda Civic Si coupe a few years ago. I originally bought it for $3,300 and it was in immaculate shape inside and out. Only had 170,000 km on it and was fully loaded with a 5 speed manual transmission, it was a great base to build off of. Over the next year that I owned it, I threw about $8,000 into it. $3,500 into the suspension and wheels, then another $4,500 into the engine, drive line, and a turbo kit pushing 8 psi. I sold the car a few months later for $9,000. Now, I bought the car for $3,300 and put $8,000 into it; then I sold it for $9,000. I lost about $2,300 in the whole deal, since my total investment was $11,300. But I now had $9,000 in my pocket from the sale of that car.

I started out with $3300 before I bought the car, and ended up with $9000 after I sold it. I'm trying to do the same idea here. I started out with $6,000, but I need to end up with $10,000 or more after selling it.

I know adding wheels and the BT phone functionality will increase the resale value, but I don't know by how much. I'm looking for advice from someone who has modded and sold one of these before.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 188 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
It's not worth it. Not sure for other cars out there, but nobody pays more for a W203 with options. If you want bang for your buck, parting out would be the way to go. For example, you can probably get $700 or so for your HIDs if sold separately. I don't even think you'd get half that much if you included it with your car.

Last edited by slammer111; 03-25-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
There is really nothing you can do that will net you a positive cash flow, unfortunately. Benzes just don't do that unless they're classics that the geezers take their blue pills over.

Even parting out is annoying as there is such a small market for Benz mods. You're better off just leaving it as is, getting what you can, and going back to BMW. I don't blame you, either. Benzes are ho-hum.
The following users liked this post:
Bruglione (05-26-2020)
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by slammer111
It's not worth it. Not sure for other cars out there, but nobody pays more for a W203 for options. If you want bang for your buck, parting out would be the way to go. For example, you can probably get $700 or so for your HIDs if sold separately. I don't even think you'd get half that much if you included it with your car.
Hm, well I'm definitely not parting it out. That would be a never ending mess, that I just don't have time for right now. I've found in the past that people, in my area at least, will pay more if the car has a clean set of slightly over-sized wheels and sounds a bit throaty when you put your foot down. Options wise, I'm not really sure. I know when I look for a vehicle, the more options the better for me. I low balled the guy I got my E39 from, because it was one month off the 2001 face-lift (missing the factory options: auto lights, auto wipers, and angel eye rings in the headlights). It had the M sport package, but wasn't fully optioned. I have since then, retrofitted the crap out of it. But I paid a lot less for it because it missed the face lift in 2001 and all the options that came with. But this isn't a BMW, so that might not be the same here as far as options effecting resale price.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:54 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Thumbs down That's what I feared...

Originally Posted by tommy
There is really nothing you can do that will net you a positive cash flow, unfortunately. Benzes just don't do that unless they're classics that the geezers take their blue pills over.

Even parting out is annoying as there is such a small market for Benz mods. You're better off just leaving it as is, getting what you can, and going back to BMW. I don't blame you, either. Benzes are ho-hum.
I thought that it was an awesome deal when I bought this, and that it would make for a solid and kind-of sporty DD over the winter. But I was a bit "blinded by the bling" when I first looked at it. I didn't realize that MB is/was partnered with Chrysler at the time, but after having this car for a while I can see it in certain areas of the car. It drives me nuts how cheap all the buttons and switches feel. And what is with the switch row above the head unit with sooo many blank spaces? I hate how this car is the "Sport" version, but feels like a base model on the inside. Don't get me wrong, I am quite fond of the handling during spirited driving. And everyone I know has told me this is the best looking car I've ever had. But in my E39, It feels different driving it or even just sitting in it. It doesn't feel cheap or like it's missing alot of features, it feels like a proper German sport sedan. Even the '01 Audi A4 turbo I had before my bimmer felt like a reasonable German sedan (when the check engine light wasn't on of course). Could just be me going from apples to poor quality artificially ripened oranges, I guess. But my MB just isn't cutting it. It's wonderful to look at and handles pretty well, but that's it. Sorry for the rant, but ho-hum is a good way to put it, tommy.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
2016 E350 Sport; Mom Wrecked the 2008 E350; sold the 2002 C320
I have to agree with the majority - upgrades/mods are going to end up costing you much more than what you're going to get in increased value (if any). Upgrades will probably help you sell the car quicker, because it will be more attractive but you will lose money. In the end, people will no want to pay more than what similar, non-modded cars are selling for.

I have been down this road many times and believe me, I have never made money off the mods (unless it was a very unique collector's car).

Best to take the money you would spend on the upgrades and just count it as added value to the sales price.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C320 4matic sedan
"Upgrades" will likely lower the value of the car. If you don't like it, clean it up really well and sell it soon. Take the money you get, add on the "upgrade" money that you didn't spend, and go buy your dream car!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Non OEM will make the car worse when it comes to trying to sell it. If you want you can always change it only OEM as it will be easier for selling. Example; Steering Wheel, Navigation, Xeon, Aux Input, Trim. I have all of these options from the factory but you can still upgrade to them. It will not increase much in value but it will look much cleaner.

Last edited by C280 Sport; 09-06-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
Originally Posted by tommy

Not all are awful or ho-hum. But I see why you think that way since you bought a 2002 C230...
Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 G63 AMG
Mods generally don't increase resale value especially on a c230. I also wouldn't go hacking into the exhaust either. It's a c230....no matter what you do it won't sound very good.

The only things I could see adding a touch of resale are xenons, a nice oem style navi and Bluetooth although the cost of them will exceed any raise retail value so keep it stock.

Also your car is blue, probably not a very easy color to sell.

Lastly the E39 is much nicer than a c230. Can't really compare the 2. The E39 is arguably one of the best 5 series ever made I've had a few of them.

Originally Posted by Tuner
I have decided to sell my '05 C230K in favour of going back to BMW, as this car feels rather cheap and is much slower than the E39 I have sitting beside it everyday that use to be my DD (please don't flame for this, I know what forum I am on) I am wondering what retrofits/modifications will increase the resale value of my C230K. I need to get minimum of 10k $$ out of this thing and right now the average resale price in my area is at the 8.5k $$ mark. This is the only C230K Sport sedan in my province that I know of, so province wide rarity will be on my side.

- Finishing the BT phone functionality (still need the BT puck and trunk module, but everything else is there)

- Retrofitting the command Audio/Nav system (I don't know if this will be in conflict with BT compatibility, since the pre-wiring for the BT phone functionality is already in the car)

- Bi-xenon headlamps and auto leveling retrofit (I haven't been able to find any diy's on the auto leveling retrofit, but I have all the info I need for the Bi-xenon bit)

For modifications:

- Making the exhaust a bit more noticeable and better sounding tone (not too loud, just better sound quality and a touch more volume when on the throttle)

- Kleemann Header (this is probably too expensive unless someone has a used one for cheap)

- A smaller S/C pulley or over-sized crank pulley (anyone have one for sale? I can't seem to find one anywhere)

- Deleting the S/C resonator pipe or S/C muffler as some people call it (I have a nice bright blue powder coated aluminum intercooler pipe with all needed t-clamps and silicone couplers to make for a very clean install)

- Either a custom tune or Eurocharged tune (dependent on how far with the engine/supercharger/exhaust mods I decide to go)

- Sprint booster (not a power adder, but increase in throttle response could add to resale value)

- Coil over kit (will be going with an H&R Street coilover set if I go this route)

- Will be buying some offset chrome 18x7 (front) and 18x8 (rear) wheels this fall, as I will be using the Elbrus 18x7 wheels for winter since they have minor scuffs already.

That's everything I had in mind, but I'm open to any additions people might have. Anyone have any ideas how far I will have to go to get past the 10k mark for resale? The new wheels, BT phone functionality, and the S/C resonator delete WILL be happening. But the rest is up in the air until I get a better idea of how close to 10k I will be at after those three. The car has 178,000km on it and zero interior or mechanical issues. But the hood and front bumper is being repainted to repair some rock chips from previous owner, so I'm trying to get it out in the next two months before something breaks on me. I have attached a pic to spark interest. I went the next province over (800 kms) but only paid 6K for this since the previous owner was in quite a bind financially. That said I need at least 10k for the bimmer I have my eye on, so that's what I'm shooting for.
Cubfan (01-19-2018)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:04 AM

Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
So was this thread all about the following? "If I spend $6,000 to modify my car will the car be worth $4,000 more as compared to unmodified?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I dont mind losing a bit of my short term investment, if the cash out price in the end is right. For example:

I use to have a 1994 Honda Civic Si coupe a few years ago. I originally bought it for $3,300 and it was in immaculate shape inside and out. Only had 170,000 km on it and was fully loaded with a 5 speed manual transmission, it was a great base to build off of. Over the next year that I owned it, I threw about $8,000 into it. $3,500 into the suspension and wheels, then another $4,500 into the engine, drive line, and a turbo kit pushing 8 psi. I sold the car a few months later for $9,000. Now, I bought the car for $3,300 and put $8,000 into it; then I sold it for $9,000. I lost about $2,300 in the whole deal, since my total investment was $11,300. But I now had $9,000 in my pocket from the sale of that car.

I started out with $3300 before I bought the car, and ended up with $9000 after I sold it. I'm trying to do the same idea here. I started out with $6,000, but I need to end up with $10,000 or more after selling it.

I know adding wheels and the BT phone functionality will increase the resale value, but I don't know by how much. I'm looking for advice from someone who has modded and sold one of these before.
While I understand what you are trying to do. Throwing good money at a bad investment is a horrible idea... Pardon the sarcasm but saving money you would have spent potentially increasing the sale whilst still losing overall seems rather absurd. Just save your money? Unless the need for cash is greater than the wait of the savings strategy. If its not then this is flat out a bad idea and seems to be a more impatient approach.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' Mercedes C63
Oh man do not bother modding a c230. Waste of money. Waste of time. Adding mods is basically more custom to you which most people won't like. No one buys a c230 as their sports car. It's basically a bottom of the barrel affordable mercedes for North America. Sell the car and add the money you will spend on mods and buy your beamer. BTW comparing a c230 to an e39 is silly. A 5 series is basically a real luxury car. A c230 is not. If you want a real entertainment buy an AMG (c43/c36/c32/c55). You will change your mind on the ho-hum part. My c55 will outperform it's m3 competition easy
Old 09-10-2016, 07:49 PM

2003 E500
Sounds to me like you would have been better off selling it for 3k, adding the 8k you sent on mods and you would have 11k cash. The mods appear to have cost you 2k plus time spent modding.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 51 Posts
s320
i won't buy a car with performance mods,or a claim that engine,and trans rebuilt.I would assume the crap been drove out of it.The rebuild was done to cheap,and thats why its for sale.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450

Spent $8k to lose $2300.

I'm not sure which facinates me more, you labeling that a success or the idea to do it again.
sevse7en (08-16-2019)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes

For modifications:

lol this thread is a year old this idiot is long gone
Old 10-03-2016, 08:37 AM

2012 E350
Yes, but this is a fabulous thread. Reaffirms that the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a big fortune.
CharlieSierra (12-10-2021)
Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 SL400 and 2004 SL500
Too Funny!

Being an old geezer I bought my GF a 2004 SL500 in great shape - better than her even! She loves it and is grateful.

Now I do not need the blue pill!

Considering the OP mods for resale nonsense, I was able to knock a couple grand off the asking price because the shop had made "improvements" to the car. These are high end cars with state of the art tech from the factory - putting anything on the cars that is not original lowers the value. You want faster - get an AMG version.

Usually the "improvements" are there to cover up a break in theft. New wheels, Stereo, even complete front and rear end covers are cheaper than factory originals.
Old 11-26-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport 6-spd, 1991 BMW 850i, 1985 BMW 635 CSi 5-spd, 1974 Porsche 911 (964 Turbo-Look)
Originally Posted by Zavato
Yes, but this is a fabulous thread. Reaffirms that the best way to make a small fortune is to start with a big fortune.
LMAO!
Come on folks, was this guy actually for real?!?
Spend money & time to make less money than if you spent & did nothing?!? I realize theres 7+ Billion of Us on this rock, but no one can be that stupid... can they?!?
Old 11-27-2016, 07:52 AM

2012 E350
never underestimate someone's capacity to be an idiot
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 PM

C class
My first post on the forum is to give this a bump.

I actually had to read this 3 times to believe what I was seeing.
Unbelievable..
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 AM

2012 E350
Bless the Lord this thread still lives. It is comical absurdity at its finest. And I believe the OP was sincere and yet delusional all at once.
sevse7en (08-16-2019)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Increase resale value with adding retrofits/mods?