C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Tire wear on drivers side front inside part of tire.. 3 other tires just fine?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 Mercedes benz ML350 4Matic
Tire wear on drivers side front inside part of tire.. 3 other tires just fine?

I replaced all 4 tires on my 05 C240 4 MATIC Nov of 2013. I was told I got an alignment with that purchase... but I'm not positive they actually did anything as far as the alignment.
The front drivers side tire has worn out on the inside of the tire (closest to the the engine). Very strange as the other 3 tires have barely worn at all and there is NO uneven wear on the other three.
Has anyone experienced this same problem? If so, any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased Cooper tires as they were a better tire. Out the door I spent $600.
Thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Hey bro----did you ever think of an alignment for the car when purchasing four new tires!!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:53 PM

I did get an alignment. I'm just not positive they did it.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 PM

I've been doing some research. Is it true that you are unable to perform an alignment adjustment on the 4matic's due to suspension components/alignment components are not adjustable from the factory??
Old 09-05-2015, 06:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C32
I dont think merc would design something like that...
but to the problem. i had a car which would do the same thing, literally the steel would come out of the tyres after a long journey. finally had a professional wheel alignment guy have a look at it and turned out to be the subframe was slightly bent. fixed it and never bought a new tyre after a long journey again....
Old 09-06-2015, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
On the fronts, from what I understand there is no way to adjust castor. Camber is done in increments with special bolts. Only thing to really adjust is the toe-in. That being said...

I had the same problem on both front tires, and that was with an alignment at the same time as new tires. After something like 7~8000 miles I happened to see the front tires from a little ways away and saw belts coming out of the inside. The outsides and middle looked almost new. Took it to a different alignment place and they said the toe-in was off just slightly (too much toe in). I think there needs to be zero toe-in if I remember correctly. Apparently that was all it took, because the second set of new tires appears to be doing much better after 6~7000 miles.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by awbooth
I've been doing some research. Is it true that you are unable to perform an alignment adjustment on the 4matic's due to suspension components/alignment components are not adjustable from the factory??
ONLY ADJUSTMENT DEALERS OR ALIGNMENT SHOPS HAVE TO WORK WITH IS FRONT AND REAR TOE !

NO CAMBER OR CASTER TO RESOLVE PREMATURE/COSTLY EDGE TIRE WEAR, STEERING PULL OR TO COMPENSATE FOR ALTERING HEIGHT, LOAD CARRYING, FITTING WIDE PROFILE TIRES/WHEELS OR SIMPLY HAVING ONGOING ADJUSTMENT CAPABILITY TO RETURN TO FACTORY SPECS AFTER CURB KNOCK DAMAGE. TRACK DAYS NOT BEING ABLE TO REDUCE UNDERSTEER/LAPTIMES – BY GOING DEEPER INTO THE CORNERS WITH IMPROVED TRACTION AND BRAKING RESPONSE!

WE SAW THE NEED THEREFORE – to reinstate the OEM precise Camber and Caster adjustment facilities of the early 90’s. By designing both Front and Rear kits to suit virtually every model Mercedes up to 2015 (Sedans, Wagons, SUV’s, Commercials).

You can fit offset bolts, but the major problem here is that they are inaccurate “one only position” bolts, offering a minimal .3 of one degree which equates to only 3mm (1/8”) offset.

Instead the unique K-MAC patented design adjustable bushing kits offer up to 4 times this adjustment range and are precisely adjustable. Meaning you can dial in “accurately” (under load) direct on alignment rack.

Fixing it right the 1st time – ending the frustration of ongoing visits to dealers or alignment shops or continually changing tire brands because of both the minimal adjustment provided and the inaccuracy of these “one only position” bolts.

CAMBER – Allows to actually change the tire contact angle, improving wear/traction/understeer/oversteer.

CASTER – Resolves steering pull, increases steering response. With better turn in and high speed directional control, along with improved anti dive/lift under brake and acceleration.

FRONT (Camber and Caster) – Added bonus is that the K-MAC bushes also replace the 4 highest wearing bushes. We have the experience of manufacturing suspension bushings now for over 50 years and the design features twice the load bearing area. Along with the OEM air voided, oil filled bushings being eliminated, yet with essential 2 axis movement being retained. Result is also improved brake and steering response.

REAR (Camber and extra Toe) – Unlike “Camber Arms” which to reduce inner edge tire wear must move “top of tire outwards” reducing all important clearance to outer fender – K-MAC bushings adjust lower arm “inwards”. Again precise “single wrench” adjustment – supplied with bush extraction tool so can be fitted on vehicle. With extra Toe adjustment to compensate for the new Camber facility.

W203 FRONT – Camber and Caster #502216K $480
REAR – Camber and extra Toe
’04-’07 (51mm diameter lower/inner bush) #501926J $380
’01-’04 (33mm diameter lower/inner bush) #502026H $320

Current promotion MB World members (USA/Canada) delivery one kit $30US or $40US front and rear. Can pay with Visa, MasterCard or PayPal.

See link for latest 2015 Catalog suit Mercedes (kits AUDI to Volvo – World’s largest range) http://K-mac.com/mercedes/
Attached Images    
Old 09-07-2015, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
K-Mac, I clicked on the link, then clicked on your webpage link to the Mercedes catalog and got an error about needing Acrobat Reader 8 or 9 to view the page(s). I'm running Acrobat Reader 9. ???

When I save it to my computer and then open it I can read it.

Last edited by mtnman82; 09-07-2015 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes 300 ce
Helpppppp

Hi don't know how to use this chat line but I have a 1989 Mercedes 300ce in and I lost my keys in a flood everyone is giving me the runaround saying the dealership is the only one that can do ignition change but I was trying to see what I'm able to get a key from the dealership if I give them my VIN number please help thanks in advance
Old 11-25-2016, 04:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by deandrebarfield
Hi don't know how to use this chat line but I have a 1989 Mercedes 300ce in and I lost my keys in a flood everyone is giving me the runaround saying the dealership is the only one that can do ignition change but I was trying to see what I'm able to get a key from the dealership if I give them my VIN number please help thanks in advance
you have posted in the wrong forum , but yes if you take your title or registration paper to the dealer they should be able to provide you a key to your car .
Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 R350, 2009 E550, 2015 GL450, 1981 HONDA CB750F SuperSport
If you have verified that the alignment is OK, and has been done at a reputable shop with proper equipment. the next VITAL item to fix the issue is to keep PRECISE tire pressure. Buy a digital air pressure gauge (I use a Slime brand bought at costco). Inflate tires exactly to the pressure stated on the inside of the fuel flap. Tire pressure is always checked with tires cold, and after all tires have been in the shade for an hour or so. Otherwise Tires on the sunny side will show higher pressure, leading to be under inflated later and if the car has been driven, the pressure will also show higher, leading to underinflation. I was getting tired of uneven wear because I used to routinely inflate my Japanese cars tires to about 40-42psi and they always lasted a long time and gave better mileage. Following the same on the Mercedes lead to inside edges wearing out too fast mainly because of the high camber angle they are set for. But inflating to the specification ensures that the entire surface of the tread carries equal weight. Over inflating will lead to most of the weight to rest on the inside edge causing excessive premature wear.
The following 2 users liked this post by vshahid:
044matic (01-15-2019), CENTRALFL (02-24-2021)