C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2004.5 C230K Sedan or 2004 Acura TL Automatic-Help Me Choose

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
2004.5 C230K Sedan or 2004 Acura TL Automatic-Help Me Choose

My family is a big fan of MB but I seem to favor the new TL when choosing a new car for my wife and daughter to drive. Then I saw the facelift photos of the W203 and just can't decide. I know this is a MB forum, but can you guys give me your honest opinion why you'd choose one over the other.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 c320wz
Re: 2004.5 C230K Sedan or 2004 Acura TL Automatic-Help Me Choose

Originally posted by Dr Chill
My family is a big fan of MB but I seem to favor the new TL when choosing a new car for my wife and daughter to drive. Then I saw the facelift photos of the W203 and just can't decide. I know this is a MB forum, but can you guys give me your honest opinion why you'd choose one over the other.
wait for the tl-a spec!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:51 PM

No point in getting C class if you already have a S and E

For variety sakes... mine as well get the TL and play with it.

fk
Old 02-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Guest0001

If you can get a C320 then get it. I personally would take a TL over a C230k. TL looks extremely bland but it has alot for the $$$. I personally don't care for Acura too much though. Your choice. If this is for the Wifey then TL makes more sense IMO. Unless your wife really cares about the german feel and engineering, Which I doubt.

Last edited by Guest0001; 02-11-2004 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:08 AM

FWD, torque steer?!?? NO THANKS!

It will be more reliable, have more toys, but its still a honda....and im not the type to have that attitude...but in this case...yes its still a bland japanese car.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by s4iscool

It will be more reliable, have more toys, but its still a honda....and im not the type to have that attitude...but in this case...yes its still a bland japanese car.
I definitely agree with you. It looks as exciting as my washing machine. But this is for his wife. I don't think his wife will worry too much about torque steer.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:50 AM
moomeh

Originally posted by Noble C320
I definitely agree with you. It looks as exciting as my washing machine. But this is for his wife. I don't think his wife will worry too much about torque steer.
i'd feel guilty though.

seriously though, let her drive both and get the one she likes...
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 AM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Drove both a few months back

personally, I'd take the TL over a 230. More room, better designed interior, more goodies (most importantly bluetooth and one of the best stock stereos around), and way better acceleration. MB is classier, more solid, RWD, but those 270HP puts the TL over the top.
IF you step up to C320, it's a much tougher decision, particularly with the auto tranny. These two vehicles were my final two choices, and chose the MB b/c I couldn't deal with the horrible steering and FWD of the TL.
Plus, with the higher residual on the MB and lack of negotiation on the TL at the time, the lease prices on the C320 weren't a whole lot more when I purchased.
If you do go TL, beware some common problems with this 1st year model run:

1) Bridgestones -- these tires come stock on the auto tranny. They are horrible. Many driver complaints about shimmy and road noise. Don't let them put them on your car, Acura is recalling.

2) Dash squeaks

3) Excessive leather wear on the driver seat -- Acura leather is too thin or something. Lot's of stretching and creasing on seat bottom.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
Re: Drove both a few months back

My take is, if you can get a really good deal on the acura (especially w/nav) go for it...it has some very nice features, but like it was said before, if you can step up to a 320, especially if you wait for the facelift, go with the benz. Also, I think there are a hell of a lot more c-classes out there than tl's (at least now), so if you want some more exclusiveness, go for the ac...
another thing to remember, if you price out a c-class (230 or 320) with all the of the **** the that the acura comes with standard, it'll probably run you well into the 40's, so the acura is probably a better value (and still has a lot more power)

good luck w/your decision, both are nice cars.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by s4iscool

"its still a Honda" IS A GOOD THING!!! having owned a MB for about 3 years now, I could stand to use a super reliable/sporty/powerful car

the TL will beat the W203 in every category...plus its a brand new design...no idea when the W203 will be revised (I don't consider the 2004.5 revised)

Last edited by bagwell; 02-11-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
since u already have e55, i'd go for TL unless safety is #1 priority...
Old 02-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Curious what makes the c230 safer than the TL?

SAFETY 2004 Acura TL Sedan w/ 5-Spd AT and Navigation System VS 2004 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C240 Sedan
Driver Airbag Standard Standard
Passenger Airbag Standard Standard
Front Side Airbags Standard Standard
Side Curtain Airbags Standard Standard
Seatbelt Adjuster Standard Standard
LATCH Upper Tethers Standard Standard
Child Proof Rear Door Locks Standard Not Available
Intermittent Wipers Standard Standard
Head Restraints (2nd Row) Standard Standard
NHTSA Front Driver/Front Passenger Crash Test Not Listed 4*/4*

Last edited by rogers; 02-11-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
german car's body is stronger compared japanese cars.
u can abviously tell the difference when u open/close the door.
i've seen friends with german cars and japanese cars in accidents... HUGE difference in safety...

hyundai is even worse...
i once had to push away hyundai xg (car was in neutral) since it was parked perpendicular to mine... i pushed the car from the trunk lid and guess what... it was coke can... the trunk was like aluminum... got pushed in while i was moving the car forward... and the aluminum trunk lid came back after i let go of my hands...

some ppl just dunno how to make steel and some do it for fuel economy...
Old 02-11-2004, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Originally posted by rogers
Curious what makes the c230 safer than the TL?
nothing at all....

....maybe in the old days the german cars were safer, but NOT anymore!

I agree - just look at the crash tests...nuff said
Old 02-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Guest0001

Originally posted by bagwell
nothing at all....

....maybe in the old days the german cars were safer, but NOT anymore!

I agree - just look at the crash tests...nuff said
Its called passive saftety. Something All japanese cars lack. I would feel alot better braking, cornering, and speeding in my car.

Its not just crash tests and airbags that predict a safetly of a vehicle.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Get the C230k for sure, u will not only have an awesome lineup up each Mercedes sedan class, it seems like you like Mercedes and your wife does as well, the Merceceds will feel much more classy, and it still has the Mercedes feel that you are used to in your other cars. I personally think its nicer too. Unless your wife is looking for major performance (doubt it) neither of these cars are the one. The TL may be quicker, but the C will be perfect for an everyday driver unless she wants to race the big boys.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:45 PM

SL500
If your looking for the most "bang for your buck" the Acura is the way to go. Acura is throwing on extras such as sunroof, xeons, nav, etc. at no additional charge in an attempt to increase market share. They are also controlling their prices by basing their cars off of proven Honda platforms (not a bad thing).

Mercedes has traditionally been more expensive than its competitors while offering less standard features. Strangely, this seems to be working. Currently, from what I hear, MB dealers are willing to deal on the c-class, especially the 240, 320 and the wagons (huge discounts). If you go for the c, wait for the facelift.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:07 PM

C32
Get the TL for sure unless...

If you value the Mercedes vault like feel highly and can forego most other luxury features such as standard leather, moonroof, CD changer, heated seats, etc., then by all means get a C230K

Add most of the options to the C230 and you will find yourself about 13% more than the comparably equipped TL (~37 VS ~33), but I'm certain that there's a fair amount of room to work with at a dealership.

The major drawback of the TL is torque steer. Other than that, it is still a better value than the 230.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

You made notice a lot people here talk about the torque steer of the TL but haven't even test driven the car. I say you visit the www.acura-tl.com and get a real opinion of the new TL. No matter which car you purchase it's going to be a great buy.
Old 02-11-2004, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
I've driven both cars and the torque steer would be an issue for me prohibiting me from ever driving a FWD car, but the torquesteer is more prevalent in the 6 spd manual rather than with the automatic. TS will never be an issue for my wife or daughter. The interior on the Acura is very nice and the bluetooth hands free feature (standard) is amazing. The tire flatspotting issues with the Bridgestone EL42 will likely be a non issue pretty soon as Acura supposedly will be switching tires.

I like the styling of both cars and the MB has nicer fit and finish, paint, and solidity. The only problem is cost because the Acura is so much cheaper than a C320, and a similarly priced C230 seems stripped down in comparison to a TL.

For your info, I plan on getting a non nav car and can get the TL for $31000 (MSRP $33195). I don't know how much the facelifted C230 will be discounted when it first is released, but I want to have a car by April or May. I will be geeting rid of our W140 tank at that time and we are tired of driving such a huge car.
Old 02-12-2004, 01:13 AM
Guest0001

Originally posted by Dr Chill
I've driven both cars and the torque steer would be an issue for me prohibiting me from ever driving a FWD car, but the torquesteer is more prevalent in the 6 spd manual rather than with the automatic. TS will never be an issue for my wife or daughter. The interior on the Acura is very nice and the bluetooth hands free feature (standard) is amazing. The tire flatspotting issues with the Bridgestone EL42 will likely be a non issue pretty soon as Acura supposedly will be switching tires.

I like the styling of both cars and the MB has nicer fit and finish, paint, and solidity. The only problem is cost because the Acura is so much cheaper than a C320, and a similarly priced C230 seems stripped down in comparison to a TL.

For your info, I plan on getting a non nav car and can get the TL for $31000 (MSRP $33195). I don't know how much the facelifted C230 will be discounted when it first is released, but I want to have a car by April or May. I will be geeting rid of our W140 tank at that time and we are tired of driving such a huge car.
Sounds Good Chill. Let us know what you decide.

Sucks your getting rid of the Classic W140
Old 02-12-2004, 04:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
since its for your wife and daughter.... i'd get the TL. i acutally drive a honda around for a beater. they are bulletproof! espeically acura! u can play with the 260HP also!

you get more for your money, the nav on the Acuras are much better than mercedes.

Jerry
Old 02-12-2004, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should also consider the financial side, which has better resale value, which offers free loaners, free maintenance for 4 years. Also which dealer is better to deal with. I have mediocre Acura dealer near me that would prevent me from getting an Acura so I would lean more towards Infiniti, Honda or Lexus if I was going Japanese. Go to the dealer's service area in the morning before going to work and ask some of the customers waiting what they think of their service. Some MB dealers make you wait weeks to get an appointment, some take you right away.

Also consider long term comfort. Haven't driven the new TL but the old one was uncomfortable to me, not something I would want on a 4 hour drive to Vegas for example. I felt a lot more comfortable in the Lexus brand cars, certainly more comfortable in the MBs.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:07 PM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
Not that this is the same car or anything.

I bought a RSX Type S for my wife about 15 months ago. Let me start out by saying she is not a big car person. We sold the car after about 10 months of ownership. It was just a boring car. I will say that it was a good car for the money, and probably ultra-reliable. My wife wanted the C230 instead, so that's what we ended up buying her.

I suspect the TL to be the same way. I think Jap cars don't have any "soul" like German cars seem to have.

FYI: That Torque steer would drive me nuts. With that HP that car needs RWD or AWD. I'd go for with the Benz.
Old 02-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Almost a Member!

To be honest in no way can you really compare a RSX to the new TL. Sorry. That’s like comparing an E500 to a C230
What's so exciting about a C230 with less than 200hp. The only advantage a C230 has over a TL is rwd and that never comes in to play unless his wife is taken curves at 50- 60 mph. I very sure no one purchases a C230 for performance. At least with the TL you can kick some *** and still look good. Suggest you go to the Acura /MB website and compare the two cars. I guarantee the Acura will come out on top every time.
The Torque steering is not an issue on the automatic TL. In my opinion the TL is simply a better car all around. The exterior is questionably but everything is a wrap.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004.5 C230K Sedan or 2004 Acura TL Automatic-Help Me Choose