C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Command Vs. Pioneer Navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 BMW X5 Black/Black, Premium, Sports, Navigation, Rear Climate, Xenon
I think screen will be another $500-$600
Old 02-13-2004, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 770 Likes on 749 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
how about this?
this is what i want to do in the future and keep current audio10.

either NVE-N852A or NVE-N851A depending on my budget...
Old 02-13-2004, 06:51 PM

How much would this setup cost?
Old 02-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
more than i can afford at the moment...
close to 3k i believe...
could be done for about 2k if u get cd based navi instead.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Originally posted by mj50
could be done for about 2k if u get cd based navi instead.
Whichever system you get, stay away from CD-Based Navi...you'll regret it!

Wait the extra time and save up for the DVD Navi

Erik
Old 02-13-2004, 07:21 PM

Absolutely, I only want DVD based. Otherwise I will do command. I will be checking these out over the weekend. I have only seen these online so far.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

bone stock E55 AMG
Originally posted by tifosiv122
Whichever system you get, stay away from CD-Based Navi...you'll regret it!

Wait the extra time and save up for the DVD Navi

Erik
does this mean COMAND is no good?
Old 02-13-2004, 07:55 PM

Command is probably my last option. I will keep you posted on my search.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:19 PM

'11 GL450
Originally posted by mbphreak
Hell, if you can get the whole system for only 1800, put me down for one too. I'll get it.
Well, etronics sells it for under $2000 so it's not that far away from 1800 for the whole system. If you want to keep the factory audio and add the navigation unit w/screen, you can consider Pioneer 610 which is about $1400. I know etronics doesn't have the 910 in stock but if you search around, many other online retailers sell pretty much the same price (<$2000).

http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?...ore=&catid=377

As far as the price and quality go, I always prefer Alpine than Pioneer. Pioneer is good but in my opinion not better than Alpine. Alpine is more solid...Also, pioneer products usually have higher MSRP but they usually sell way off MSRP. On the other hand, I couldn't really find any sources that sell Alpine for much less than MSRP. The premier (high-end pioneer) may be better, I don't know.
Old 02-13-2004, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mj50
does this mean COMAND is no good?
I can't say one good thing about Command except that it works with the factory wheel buttons.

Erik
Old 02-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tifosiv122
I can't say one good thing about Command except that it works with the factory wheel buttons.

Erik
And it fits seemlessly with the rest of the center console and interior. The fact that it is half the price of those alpine/pioneer units makes them a bargain.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:35 AM

2001 CLK 320
tifosiv122,

Your system looks very nice and frankly I'm quite interested. I have a few questions though, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your pic that the screen is blocking the AC vents and upper console area. Is there a reason it should be installed that way, or could you flip the installation so that when the screen comes up it doesn't block as much real estate?

As to the screen deploying, is it always up when the radio is at all powered? Do you bring it up to access the navigation or can you simply use the voice prompts wthout screen at all?

Following that, once I set a destination can I retract the screen and go by voice prompt?

Can you control the radio and or CD/etc using the steering wheel buttons? (seems like you couldn't but odder things have happened).

Does the screen dim when the headlights are on? It'd seem to be awfully glarish at night trying to drive (which is part of why I asked about voice prompt w/o screen).

All in all, how much do you really use it, anyways? After all, you probably know the route between home and work by now.

Any other impressions or tidbits you'd like to share?

Regards,
-Bouncer-
Old 03-13-2004, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Bouncer
[B]tifosiv122,

Your system looks very nice and frankly I'm quite interested. I have a few questions though, if you don't mind.

I noticed in your pic that the screen is blocking the AC vents and upper console area. Is there a reason it should be installed that way, or could you flip the installation so that when the screen comes up it doesn't block as much real estate?
I wanted it that way. I know you can hide the second din unit {the navi} and I guess it could be dropped another few inches down. I have the larger screen, if you go for the smaller 6.5 I think it will be a bit shorter as well. It can be angled forward and backward. The only thing I block that I occationally need is the hazzards and I rarely use them. I always set the center vents up even when I don't use the screen...I hate heat/air directly in my face.

As to the screen deploying, is it always up when the radio is at all powered? Do you bring it up to access the navigation or can you simply use the voice prompts wthout screen at all?
Technically you don't really need a screen at all. You can talk to the navi and it talks to you. You can listen to the radio or CD without the screen being open. I can also listen to XM, and my 6 Disc without the screen...but I never do.

Following that, once I set a destination can I retract the screen and go by voice prompt?
Yes and you still have access to all the functions such as repeat last direction and such.

Can you control the radio and or CD/etc using the steering wheel buttons? (seems like you couldn't but odder things have happened).
No, and I could care less, I have a remote.

Does the screen dim when the headlights are on? It'd seem to be awfully glarish at night trying to drive (which is part of why I asked about voice prompt w/o screen).
There is a night mode which inverts the map, black background, white roads, I don't have that enabled...I love how my screen lights up my entire car. You can also dim the screen if you want. My older one had auto dimming, not sure if mine does, I also disabled that feature.

All in all, how much do you really use it, anyways? After all, you probably know the route between home and work by now.
I use the Navi at least 5 times a week if not more. Even though I might know the route from home to work, if there is traffic or an accident, I just make a random turn and the GPS will still get me home. I drive everywhere and I love to allways know where I am. I used this to go from NJ to Florida and it was dead on.

Any other impressions or tidbits you'd like to share?
Yeah, I would never get another daily driver without DVD Navi system, it's my second one and I couldn't live without it. As this months issue of R&T said about command:

"Frankly, I wish Mercedes would scrap COMAND, and BMW would bag iDrive. Both of these multifunction electronic-control systems distract drivers from the act of driving, which is ironic given that the Germans for so long refused to put cupholders in their cars for that very reason. At any rate M-B's COMAND system has never been user-friendly; at least it's optional. In BMW's favor the 6 is available with wireless Bluetooth technology and iDrive's navigational map is large and easier to use then the CLK's.
Everyone outside of these forums bash COMAND, IMO it's a complete waste of money. CD-Based...blah. The only thing I could possibly say that makes COMAND worth anything is that its factory intergrated, but that can only be used as an excuse for so much...it's just such an overall poor system that it's not worth the factory look.

Erik