C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Removing ashtray and sliding cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 06:17 AM
Pat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63 T
Removing ashtray and sliding cover

Hi, I’ve recently been able to obtain a set of wood trims to replace the original aluminum set. I searched the forum and found a few posts regarding how to remove the center console (area surrounding the radio). I followed the instructions and removed the console without too many problems and had no trouble removing the piece surrounding the gear lever. However, I’ve trouble removing the sliding cover behind the gear lever and the ashtray. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any info on the archives. Now all the trims are still lying around in my car (although relatively easy, I just don’t want to put back the center console only to find out that I have to take it out again). Any tips on how to remove the sliding cover and the ashtray would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

2002 C32 Merlot Red
Old 02-16-2004, 06:35 AM

'03 c320wz
Re: Removing ashtray and sliding cover

Originally posted by Pat
Hi, I’ve recently been able to obtain a set of wood trims to replace the original aluminum set. I searched the forum and found a few posts regarding how to remove the center console (area surrounding the radio). I followed the instructions and removed the console without too many problems and had no trouble removing the piece surrounding the gear lever. However, I’ve trouble removing the sliding cover behind the gear lever and the ashtray. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any info on the archives. Now all the trims are still lying around in my car (although relatively easy, I just don’t want to put back the center console only to find out that I have to take it out again). Any tips on how to remove the sliding cover and the ashtray would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

2002 C32 Merlot Red
did you take out your cup holder? theres a rubber piece in the cup holder area. first you remove that. then you twist your cup holder and pull up. next you pull out that sliding door, and then you unlatch the cupholder/lighter area.

for the ash tray. theres a little latch underneath it. try to get it free. once you get it free u should be able to pull it out rather easily
Old 02-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
still have the aluminum trim?

pm me please!
Old 02-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Pat

W211 E63 T
Tom thanks for the tips. I will try again and see if I can manage!!

I still have the aluminum parts and am willing to sell them. Unfortunately, my car is right hand drive which means that the trims for the electric windows on the driver and passenger sides will not fit left hand drive cars. And I also have Command.

Patrick

2002 C32 Merlot Red
Old 02-19-2004, 07:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK Coupe 200 Komp 53 Plate
R u selling the comand?

Thanks

Neil
Old 02-19-2004, 08:45 AM
Pat

W211 E63 T
No, I am keeping the Command (with the TV tuner option). I am just replacing the original aluminum trim with wood trim.

Patrick

2002 C32 Merlot Red
Old 06-02-2004, 10:51 PM

2001 Mercedes C320 Sport
I have small little dents in the aluminum trim on my ashtry cover just above my shift stick/ gear lever.

Is it easy to remove the al trim, iron out the dents and put it back on? I'm worried that once I take off the AL trim, it will warp or malform when I put it back on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-03-2004, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
this might help. i downloaded this for my own personal records so when i install my aux wire. hope it helps.

http://phdwebsite.powerpulse.cc/COMA...oval%20WIS.pdf
Old 06-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Pat

W211 E63 T
You need to remove the whole ashtray unit first before you can detach the ashtray cover from the whole unit. This procedure is not too difficult.

However, once you have detached the ashtray cover and look closely at it, you can then see that the aluminum trim on the top is attached to another piece of plastic underneath. It seems that the aluminum trim is quite securely attached to the plastic piece, so I am not sure if you can reattach them securely after you have pried them apart. I haven’t tried this part as I just needed to replace the whole cover with the new wood cover. Good luck.

Patrick
2002 C32 Green Black / Merlot Red