C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Over filled oil dead car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 Kompressor Sport
Over filled oil dead car!

I took my 2005 C230 Sport Komoressor to a shop and had Mobil 1 synthetic
put in as standard oil change like always. This time while driving home the red light telling me to reduce oil comes on. Shop says don't worry it may be a few 10ths over at most and he would take care of it. On my way to take it back it starts to run rougher and rougher almost like a bad fuel filter. The shop says he will change the filter and reduce oil level. The car has 98k miles on it. Has never had a problem or made any odd engine noises. After having it a week and changing fuel filters more than 2 times due to constant plugin up, I'm told my timing chain is junk and the car doesn't even run longer than 3 sec and sounds awful. How could all of this happen when the car was running perfect??? Can overfilling the oil create pressure related to the timing chain in some way?? The fuel issue seems like a distraction to me to hide the shop damaging my car by overfilling oil... HELP!! Please. Need m271 guys who know this stuff..
Rick
Old 07-01-2016, 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Ricky Starr
I took my 2005 C230 Sport Komoressor to a shop and had Mobil 1 synthetic
put in as standard oil change like always. This time while driving home the red light telling me to reduce oil comes on. Shop says don't worry it may be a few 10ths over at most and he would take care of it. On my way to take it back it starts to run rougher and rougher almost like a bad fuel filter. The shop says he will change the filter and reduce oil level. The car has 98k miles on it. Has never had a problem or made any odd engine noises. After having it a week and changing fuel filters more than 2 times due to constant plugin up, I'm told my timing chain is junk and the car doesn't even run longer than 3 sec and sounds awful. How could all of this happen when the car was running perfect??? Can overfilling the oil create pressure related to the timing chain in some way?? The fuel issue seems like a distraction to me to hide the shop damaging my car by overfilling oil... HELP!! Please. Need m271 guys who know this stuff..
Rick
Shop is lying!
Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 198 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
Well, the oil cap on the M271 does specifically mention not to overfill the car. Not an expert in this particular area but it could be that too much fluid causes too much pressure inside the engine and damages certain internal components, such as the timing chain, which is lubricated by engine oil.

With that said, it might also be coincidence that the timing chain happened to go bad and skip a tooth right around this time too. My understanding is that the timing chain goes bad if the famous $12 hose (and other associated ones) are damaged (common with the old versions) and aren't replaced, either by yourself or the dealer (there's a recall for this). If you want to keep using using car, you'll have to bite the bullet and see what's going on with the chain. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
come on guys! if you knew anything about how an engine lubrication system works you would know that oil level has nothing to do with pressure. M271 engines are known for gear and timing chain failure. it can run normal one minute and due to chain stretch or wear the moment the chain jumps over the worn gears it will run up to sh*t! let them remove the engine cover and show u the wear. believe me it happens.
The following users liked this post:
C3Duece (07-03-2016)