C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Pulley Questions after search.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brabus K3
Question Pulley Questions after search.

Hello,

I have read lot of posts about pulleys & rings. After that I’m sure that I will go to new ASP o KLEEMANN pulley.

1.- Starting with ASP, there are two kit’s, one of 8lbs and other of 10lbs, I have read that 8lbs, “doesn't make the a/f ratio as lean” & “don’t increase so much air temp”, then which are the real performance difference between the 2? (Maybe with less pressure we have nearly the same results).
2.- What is included in ASP kit?
3.- Is there any problem in running alternator faster? (I may buy kleemann alt. pulley for 60$).
4.- Do we still need to sandpaper to make the pulley go into the crankshaft?
5.- Is it still rubbing with the water pump in the new version (have they made it a little bit smaller? Water pump leackage?)
6.- Performance differences in compare with kleemann pulley?

7.- About Kleemann pulley, is it bigger than the ring? (it gives 8HP more).
8.- Which is the tighten pressure, which one do you suggest? 220ft/lbs or 100ft/lbs.

9.- What about stage two?

Best Regards,

Ruben.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Pulley Questions after search.

1.- Starting with ASP, there are two kit’s, one of 8lbs and other of 10lbs, I have read that 8lbs, “doesn't make the a/f ratio as lean” & “don’t increase so much air temp”, then which are the real performance difference between the 2? (Maybe with less pressure we have nearly the same results).
the smaller pulley will give you half the gains for what's perceived as some as less risk. Don't know of anyone that has the smaller pulley on a C230, your choice, same price.

2.- What is included in ASP kit?
Whatever you are willing to pay for. Basically they can upgrade your existing pulley, they can provide a complete pulley, they can provide a belt I hear

3.- Is there any problem in running alternator faster? (I may buy kleemann alt. pulley for 60$).
I haven't heard of any problems but the Kleemann kit spins it slower so either way, it's not the stock speed. ASP will also sell you a larger alt pulley but you'll have to get a custom sized belt from Kleemann

4.- Do we still need to sandpaper to make the pulley go into the crankshaft?
Only if you want to damage the pulley, this is just an attempt to make installation easier at the risk of creating too much free play. Do not sand any part of the pulley or crankshaft, it's a tight fit, wasn't meant to be just slid on with ease.

5.- Is it still rubbing with the water pump in the new version (have they made it a little bit smaller? Water pump leackage?)
When the belt is new and hasn't seated yet, either brand of pulley may have some slight rubbing but hasn't been an issue, you can order the pulley any size you want so if it bothers you get a smaller one

6.- Performance differences in compare with kleemann pulley?
Kleemann no longer makes a pulley so the point is moot. People have had different results with any pulley kit, your results may vary no matter what you get

7.- About Kleemann pulley, is it bigger than the ring? (it gives 8HP more).
Both pulleys are the same diameter, through magic, smoke and mirrors one pulley made more HP than the other, even though not sold in the U.S., the ironic thing is that the ring is what is still sold in Europe

8.- Which is the tighten pressure, which one do you suggest? 220ft/lbs or 100ft/lbs.
I tightened mine to 220ft/lbs

9.- What about stage two?
One higher than stage one and less than stage 3, this is what you need to do after installing a pulley kit to get back to stock power without having to put the stock pulley back on, clever, ehh!The higher the stage, the less power you get but stage 3 is best, it will get you closest to stock power
Old 03-21-2004, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Then I supose that I don't have to touch stage setting.

Thanks for you answers. In Spain Kleemann stills sells the pulley at 1100€ +16% TAX.

Best Regards,

Ruben.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
What belt I have to use with ASP pulley (10lbs)?
6 rib 56" (6PK1420)?

A last think about the rubbing: This won't repercute to the water pump shaft?

Best Regards,

Ruben.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The belt size is 56", 6 rib or in europe it's 1429 mm. The rubbing is very minor, just the corner of the belt wears a stripe in the black paint of the waterpump pulley, you wouldn't notice it otherwise. Had mine for a long time without a problem but they'll make it smaller if you want.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
About the alt pulley, it's strange that all the band's put them in the pack except ASP, and if it's no necesary.

From kleemann I don't understand how they can put aluminium with steel (pulley to crankshaft) because it gets welded with a little time.

Then the rubbing is only a little graze, and do not force the water pump pulley, no?

Also the kleemann ring has bad reputation because it burns the kompresor, I can't understand why?

Best Regards,

Ruben.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand, who besides Kleemann uses a different alt pulley? Opera Design, Vaeth, Renntech, Brabus don't.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
Carlsson....
Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good one, then using your logic, why is the Kleemann kit missing the idler pulley that Carlsson provides? Do they know something other tuners don't? Afterall, Renntech provides an idler pulley but not an alt pulley. Every tuner has it's gimic, in reality the only thing that matters is more boost...
Old 03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brabus K3
ok ok understud.