C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Shifter Peeling, Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 c230
Shifter Peeling, Any Tips?

My daughters shifter is peeling around the bottom edges and want to get it replaced. Was told I have to switch out the entire shifter or can I just swap out the top part? Or maybe there is a trick to fix this?
Old 10-10-2016, 03:46 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_Console.htm

Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 C230K SS 6MT
Originally Posted by Mr Shant
My daughters shifter is peeling around the bottom edges and want to get it replaced. Was told I have to switch out the entire shifter or can I just swap out the top part? Or maybe there is a trick to fix this?
I'm starting to have a little peel on my shift-knob as well; it's a 6-Speed, but EXACT same silver coating. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a modular replacement available for this, only a full assembly replacement.

The most cost effective methods I can think of would be:

1. If you're good with an X-Acto Knife and measurements, you could buy some matte-silver vinyl (Like this) and apply after removing the peeling paint and cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

2. Removing the entire assembly, carefully scrape off any remaining silver paint, tape everything else off with painters tape and respray with some silver paint (of course matched to the stock color).

If I end up doing this myself, I'll make sure to post pics later. Good luck!
Old 10-10-2016, 03:59 PM

2007 c230
RedGray, hey thanks for this.
Do you know if the top part of the shift knob is sold separately at the dealer?
Old 10-10-2016, 04:11 PM

2007 c230
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Norsk_Johnson
I'm starting to have a little peel on my shift-knob as well; it's a 6-Speed, but EXACT same silver coating. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a modular replacement available for this, only a full assembly replacement.

The most cost effective methods I can think of would be:

1. If you're good with an X-Acto Knife and measurements, you could buy some matte-silver vinyl (Like this) and apply after removing the peeling paint and cleaning with rubbing alcohol.

2. Removing the entire assembly, carefully scrape off any remaining silver paint, tape everything else off with painters tape and respray with some silver paint (of course matched to the stock color).

If I end up doing this myself, I'll make sure to post pics later. Good luck!
Awesome! I may take it off and re paint it.
Thanks for this.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:46 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
To get an OEM shift knob, on ebay, search for:
w203 shift knob
Old 10-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Euros
Since you're nearby my shop, which is in Anaheim Hills, if you ever decide you want to go with the vinyl wrap route, feel free to send me a message and I'll do my best to help out with what options you can go with.

-Don
Old 10-28-2016, 10:08 AM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
So, funny enough my shift-knob started peeling horribly, so now I will DIY this and update this thread with my experience.

I intend on re-spraying it with the closest paint I can find at Home Depot. To be continued...

Last edited by Norsk_Johnson; 10-28-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-29-2016, 02:56 PM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
Removed shifter + leather boot. Used vegetable oil to remove paint (wierd but it works) the. Sanded the plastic down with 2000 grit paper.
Used a grocery store bag, wrapped it around boot and taped it off.
Removed the black cap, taped it off as well, and set it back into shifter.

Last edited by Norsk_Johnson; 10-29-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:33 AM

2007 c230
Originally Posted by Norsk_Johnson
Removed shifter + leather boot. Used vegetable oil to remove paint (wierd but it works) the. Sanded the plastic down with 2000 grit paper.
Used a grocery store bag, wrapped it around boot and taped it off.
Removed the black cap, taped it off as well, and set it back into shifter.

Curious to know how the paint is holding up? I'm about ready to do this.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:41 AM

2007 c230
So I FINALLY got around to doing this on my daughters car. Was WAY easier than I expected. Didn't even break one clip in the process!
I actually took the shifter completely apart, broke it all down and painted the part by itself.
I'll be posting pictures soon...
Old 09-21-2017, 03:00 PM

2007 c230
So here are the pics from my shifter restoration. It is WAY easier than you think.
Just pop the shifter frame off carefully with a screw driver (push it forward (upwards) with your hand, clips are towards the rear underneath area of the frame)
Pull the shifter leather all the way up, turn the black plastic lock pin and pull the shifter straight up to come off.
The top parts of the shifter all separate so you can just get to the part that needs repainting. that makes it really easy to do this.
Just work the emblem on top with a tiny eye class type screwdriver carefully and eventually the three clips will give. Then same with the part that needs re painting. Stick a small screwdriver in between it and the shifter leather and work it carefully around with a screwdriver, again it will pop and separate.
Scrape the metal sliver off with a razoer blade, sand it and spray it with a silver color spray paint. When done painting everything, it all snaps back in place pretty easy but don't force it that hard. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2018, 02:25 PM

2005 C230K SS 6MT
It's been a while, I figured I'd update this particular thread. The paint solution ended up not working out for me in the long run. It looked great above when it was fresh. The only issue is that the shifter knob on a manual get's a lot of action, therefor it was easy to chip the paint and ended up looking like garbage.. Instead, I bit the bullet and took gamble from an aftermarket Knob + Boot manufacturer from GERMANY. I found these guys on ebay and they'll do many different styles. The only issue is the language barrier, you'll need to use google translate for all the emails since they're in german.

I received mine yesterday and was blown away by the quality! The assembly is made from genuine leather (like the OEM) and the shift orientation on the knob is exactly the setup of our W203's Manual 6-speed! It feels SOO much better than the original! You clip it in the same way as the original and you secure it to the shifting rod by three hex screws in the front + left + right. Hex key is included in the package. I was VERY skeptical of this, but I highly recommend, everyone. Looks awesome!

ICT gear shift knob gaiter frame Mercedes W203 Facelift S203 CL203 leather D64 http://r.ebay.com/LLN99j

Picture of Mine