C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Star Diagnostic System

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-06-2002, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K
Star Diagnostic System

Does anybody know where i can buy a Star Diagnostics computer. That's the IBM laptop and the necessary hardware to allow me to interface with all mercedes ODBII systems.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
The general public can't buy it. Even if you did manage to get your hands on one, they have a license on them which must be renewed every 3 or 6 months, for an absurd fee.
Old 04-06-2002, 02:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just to give you an idea of how absurd it is, leasing the computer is roughly $25,000 per year...
Old 04-06-2002, 05:06 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Given that all this propietary baloney exists on something we own but cannot modify I think an open source effort to reverse engineer all MBZ interfaces should be started. However, this poses all sorts of legal problems, and the ever restless sharks will fight any reverse engineering methods.

I would certainly like the ability to program a black box to accept aftermarket devices, radio, navigation, radar detector, other phones, etc.... and then have it all accessible through the current native interface (i'd have to know all details of current DB2 protocol used and any variations that MBZ employs). MBZ would **** of course.

Legally as part of my rights of ownership I would contend that since I can't get the options I want ( e.g. command sucks I want an Alpine Navigation system) that MBZ is engaging in monopolistic practice by not opening up their interface.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I thought I read here that one of our friends in the UK is working on builing his own. Or you can get your own here:
http://www.samstagsales.com/star_diagnosis.htm
Old 04-06-2002, 11:24 AM

2002 C230 C7,C5
I *think* that one would be ok in reverse engineering the protocol, unless the protocol itself digitally encrypts copyrighted information transmitted from the laptop to the car. Selling, distributing, or marketing the reverse-engineered product would be a different story, though.

Legally as part of my rights of ownership I would contend that since I can't get the options I want ( e.g. command sucks I want an Alpine Navigation system) that MBZ is engaging in monopolistic practice by not opening up their interface.
First, you'd have to establish that M-B has a monopoly in the car market. That might be a little hard to do.
Old 04-06-2002, 11:39 AM

500 SEC
It is sort of like Rolls Royce!

These "MARKS" established themselves as premier automobiles and want their service teams to be exclusive. Hence the high cost of entry to the service side of the business.

Kinda reminds you of Microsoft doesn't it? (do not get me wrong I am a proponent of Microsoft and of the proprietary service side of the automobile and aircraft service, for numerous reasons)

I am a big fan of having some limited info available such as with Posrche for instance. I can jack my hand held or PDA into the system and get dyno readings and other stuff which may be helpful in determining IF I have an issue that needs a Tech or I can adjust myself.

Just thought I would chime in.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:39 PM

C230 coupe 6sp
This is available for Palms from Mercedesshop.com. Don't have any experience with it, but looks interesting.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/ottoscan/ottoscan.htm
Old 04-06-2002, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...des+enthusiast
Old 04-06-2002, 01:42 PM

C230K
well, it's not for me. it's for my uncle's mercedes dealership. he just wanted to know if there was a cheaper alternative than the $27k unit.

thanks
Old 04-06-2002, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by speedfrk
This is available for Palms from Mercedesshop.com. Don't have any experience with it, but looks interesting.
http://www.mercedesshop.com/ottoscan/ottoscan.htm

That product for the palm is a ODBC reader. Far from what the Star Diag. System can do and program.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does the Star Diagnostic system plug into the 16 pin J1962 ODB-II connector under the dash?

The cheapest ODB-II Windows based diagnostic setup I've seen was $82 and one for $112. The $112 seems pretty complete but don't expect it to change settings, for that you will have to hack the puppy but it doesn't look impossible. The best thing is to find a Star Diagnostic system and put a break out box at the serial port and log the traffic between it and the car. It must pass a password or some handshaking to get through to the menus. Break that and the world is yours. MB would have a fit if the program ended up on forums worldwide.

http://www.obd-2.com/

http://www.msu.edu/~guentche/guentch...I/project.html
Old 04-06-2002, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
... The best thing is to find a Star Diagnostic system and put a break out box at the serial port and log the traffic between it and the car. It must pass a password or some handshaking to get through to the menus. Break that and the world is yours. ...
It's likely much more comlicated than just that. If it's encrypted (most definitely), you can log all traffic you want and spend years trying to decrypt it w/o any success.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The encryption, if any would just make it that more interesting. Bring it on! If the system displays certain values on the screen and I know what they are encrypted to in a log then it's just a matter of trying some industry standard encryption techniques. This is not readily available to consumers so I doubt they put much thought into encryption technology. Besides, the ODB-II part can't be encrypted or they violate EPA laws. My guess it's just a password authentication and from then on it's not encrypted. How many mechanics would even understand how to begin hacking it.

Is the connector the covered black thingy to the left of the steering wheel under the dash, next to the hood release?
Old 04-07-2002, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Industry standard, you say? Good luck!
Old 04-07-2002, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
The protocols that the latest MB (and many other manafacturers) control units talk are defined in IS9141 and ISO14230 documents, and in fact I have released the first release (and about to release the second) of an open-source implementation on those protocols including a scantool for Linux. MB also have a special protocol that they use to talk to the auto-gearbox controller, which I snooped the protocol when a MB star diagnosis system was connected to the car :-)

HOWEVER, the protocols are defined, but the meaning of the data in the requests and responses that are made to the vehicle and what requests each ECU supports are not publically avaialble, and my software project therefore can not do anything but talk to the engine management system for OBDII/EOBD diagnostic purposes.

OBDII is the US mandated emissions diagnostic interface. EOBD is the European version (mandated from this year I think). A scantool is the "standard" device that can interrogate for the emissions diagnostic information.

There are a couple of hand-held mercedes diagnostic units avaialble in the USA from Snap-on for instance.

What I intend to do in the long run is to use the software I have written to produce a framework where users can easily add configuration files that can define what requests are made and what menu's the user sees.

That, of course, requires someone to work out what Star diagnosis or the VW/Audio VAG1552 tools etc do. And there arent enough hours in the day for me to do that, and I wouldnt like to break any IPR/copyrights that the auto manafacturers have !

The data between the Star diagnosis and the ECU's are not encrypted. With the correct electrical interface you can read it.
Some ECUs will have a password to enable configurable features, others wont.

On ML, new C and later, all the ECU's diagnostic lines are presented on different pins of the J1962 connector. The engine related ones are on the OBDII defined pin, the other control units are on the pins "reserved for manafacturer use". On older cars the J1962 connector only appeared on US vehicles and only had the engine management system, all other ECUs were presented on a 33 pin diagnostic connector under the bonnet (on the other side to the fusebox under that rotary cap removed with a 13mm socket)

Hope that helps !

R
Old 04-11-2002, 02:34 AM

2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
Originally posted by Richard
The protocols that the latest MB (and many other manafacturers) control units talk are defined in IS9141 and ISO14230 documents, and in fact I have released the first release (and about to release the second) of an open-source implementation on those protocols including a scantool for Linux. MB also have a special protocol that they use to talk to the auto-gearbox controller, which I snooped the protocol when a MB star diagnosis system was connected to the car :-)

HOWEVER, the protocols are defined, but the meaning of the data in the requests and responses that are made to the vehicle and what requests each ECU supports are not publically avaialble, and my software project therefore can not do anything but talk to the engine management system for OBDII/EOBD diagnostic purposes.

OBDII is the US mandated emissions diagnostic interface. EOBD is the European version (mandated from this year I think). A scantool is the "standard" device that can interrogate for the emissions diagnostic information.

There are a couple of hand-held mercedes diagnostic units avaialble in the USA from Snap-on for instance.

What I intend to do in the long run is to use the software I have written to produce a framework where users can easily add configuration files that can define what requests are made and what menu's the user sees.

That, of course, requires someone to work out what Star diagnosis or the VW/Audio VAG1552 tools etc do. And there arent enough hours in the day for me to do that, and I wouldnt like to break any IPR/copyrights that the auto manafacturers have !

The data between the Star diagnosis and the ECU's are not encrypted. With the correct electrical interface you can read it.
Some ECUs will have a password to enable configurable features, others wont.

On ML, new C and later, all the ECU's diagnostic lines are presented on different pins of the J1962 connector. The engine related ones are on the OBDII defined pin, the other control units are on the pins "reserved for manafacturer use". On older cars the J1962 connector only appeared on US vehicles and only had the engine management system, all other ECUs were presented on a 33 pin diagnostic connector under the bonnet (on the other side to the fusebox under that rotary cap removed with a 13mm socket)

Hope that helps !

R
Thank you Richard. On a side note my SO must have noticed the gleam in my eye because the other day she said "If I find the benz dissasembled in the garage you're sleeping in there with it."