C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

LED daytime running lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
LED daytime running lights

do the led daytime running lights to be reprogrammed for the car?
it doesn't seem to work..
Old 04-09-2002, 02:36 AM

C230K
what LED's are you referring to? also, look over your question again: it makes no sense.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:59 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Ehhhh
Old 04-09-2002, 02:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I second that. What LEDs are you speaking of?
Old 04-09-2002, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the word "LED" has been abused a bit here!
Old 04-09-2002, 03:03 PM

LED = "Letting Everyone Decide" what the he!! he is talking about....
Old 04-09-2002, 03:11 PM

2002 C230 C7,C5
LED brake lights

I know this has been brought up before, but has anyone replaced their brake light bulbs with LEDs? I'm thinking about it, and from a safety standpoint, it might make sense.

My reasoning is that LEDs illuminate much quicker than regular incandescent bulbs. Although it may not seem like that much time, I'm guessing that at high speeds, it might make somewhat of a difference. I might calculate this out later...

With Brake Assist (which I recently experienced) and good brakes, other drivers behind you might not be able to stop as quickly as an MB driver.

Just a wild theory...
Old 04-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C320
sorry no LED... HIDs...
HIDs for daytime running lights... does car need to be reprogrammed by the dealer, cuz i thought it would be neceesary for a reprogramming for low beams..
Old 04-09-2002, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Yes it does, visit my FAQ to learn more.. the link is in my sig
Old 04-09-2002, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: LED brake lights

Originally posted by jack230
I know this has been brought up before, but has anyone replaced their brake light bulbs with LEDs? I'm thinking about it, and from a safety standpoint, it might make sense.

Just a wild theory...
Yes, I have thought about it also. I think the LED lights on the S-class are very cool. But one of the site that I went was selling at around US$80+ per piece (40LEDs). I think thats a bit too expensive. I'm just waiting for the prices to go down a bit.
Old 04-09-2002, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+

My reasoning is that LEDs illuminate much quicker than regular incandescent bulbs. Although it may not seem like that much time, I'm guessing that at high speeds, it might make somewhat of a difference. I might calculate this out later...

With Brake Assist (which I recently experienced) and good brakes, other drivers behind you might not be able to stop as quickly as an MB driver.

Just a wild theory...
It makes perfect sense... But isn't the 3-rd stop light already LED?
Old 04-09-2002, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: LED brake lights

Originally posted by vadim
It makes perfect sense... But isn't the 3-rd stop light already LED?
Nope, they're incandescent. Page 350 of the Sportcoupe operators manual
Old 04-09-2002, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: Re: Re: LED brake lights

Originally posted by Lynn

Nope, they're incandescent. Page 350 of the Sportcoupe operators manual
Sorry, confused it with my Volvo's high mounted brake light, which is LED. (Booo, Mercedes!)

RE: manual - this is the worst manual I have ever had for a car... Written in robotic language, poorly arranged, infested with cross-references (This is not a clickable web page, after all!)
Old 04-10-2002, 12:51 AM

2002 C230 C7,C5
This whole theory was bothering me, so I did the calculations. LEDs light up 200 ms faster than incandescent bulbs. Assuming you are hauling a** at 80 mph, that translates into a 23 ft of additional braking distance available for the car behind me. I didn't take into account the fact that me in the MB would actually be slowing down because of braking, so the actual number is probably around 20 ft. (It's been a while since I had calculus in college, and I'm not too keen on relearning that stuff.)

Now, our beloved MBs have at least a 20 ft braking distance advantage at 80 mph over many, many cars on the road. That 20 ft may actually make the difference between wreck and no wreck or bad wreck and not-so-bad wreck.

LEDs it is!
Old 04-10-2002, 01:02 AM

C230K
This whole theory was bothering me, so I did the calculations. LEDs light up 200 ms faster than incandescent bulbs. Assuming you are hauling a** at 80 mph, that translates into a 23 ft of additional braking distance available for the car behind me. I didn't take into account the fact that me in the MB would actually be slowing down because of braking, so the actual number is probably around 20 ft. (It's been a while since I had calculus in college, and I'm not too keen on relearning that stuff.)

Now, our beloved MBs have at least a 20 ft braking distance advantage at 80 mph over many, many cars on the road. That 20 ft may actually make the difference between wreck and no wreck or bad wreck and not-so-bad wreck.

LEDs it is!
where did you get your numbers from? i know that LED's light up faster, but 200ms. That's a suprising amount. Another plus for LED's is that they do not burn out, so maintainence would be greatly reduced.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:30 AM

2002 C230 C7,C5
I just did a web search for LED light up times. The range of difference that I got was from 170 ms to 300 ms faster than incandescent bulbs. I don't find those numbers unbelievable. LEDs instantly reach full brightness, while incandescents gradually (relatively speaking) increase to full brightness after current is applied.

As soon as I find a good source for them, I'll move to LEDs. I'm wondering, however, if I'll have a problem similar to the HID issue--i.e., with LEDs drawing less current than the incandescent bulbs, will the car's computer think the brake lights are burned out? Thoughts anyone?
Old 04-10-2002, 11:08 AM

2001 C320
LEDs

This guy has too much time on his hands. You buy a cheap Mercedes, then add all the extras at an incredibly high price..what you have is still a cheap Mecedes with high price doo-dads on it. Many years ago guys used to put Cadillac hub caps on a Buick and think they had a Caddy. What you should have done is buy at least a 240/320 with the LED stoplamps standard or step right over to the S series.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Re: LEDs

Originally posted by mongoman
This guy has too much time on his hands. You buy a cheap Mercedes, then add all the extras at an incredibly high price..what you have is still a cheap Mecedes with high price doo-dads on it. Many years ago guys used to put Cadillac hub caps on a Buick and think they had a Caddy. What you should have done is buy at least a 240/320 with the LED stoplamps standard or step right over to the S series.
Maybe by responding to this message, you have too much time on your hands?? I don't think that ANYONE has said that by changing their brake lights to LEDs, they will think that their car is now, suddenly an S class! I think your comparison to the Buick/Caddy story is off base.
Old 04-10-2002, 12:32 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage

LEDs it is!
Um, back on topic. Let's not confuse brake light notification speed with braking ability. Your C-Class will still stop from 60mph in about 120-130 ft, (depending on which rag you read) regardless of which brake lamps you run.

Yes, the faster display allows the driver behind to have more notice that you're braking, but his/her reaction time (at about .45 secs.) is going to be far longer than the .20 sec advantage the LED offers, assuming the driver is paying close attention to begin with. All you've done is pass the message quicker... your car is still stopping at it's normal rate of deceleration.

I think the primary reasons for LEDs is long-term durability (supposedly) and styling/packaging (thin strips of LEDs offer more styling flexibility than rectangular CHMSLs).

Last edited by MB-BOB; 04-10-2002 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:28 PM

M3

Just a wild theory...
The back of the car already has a strip of LED brake lights...

Plus...changing to LED brake lights will make the regular brake lights look funny because the light won't be uniform, so you'll have a bright spot in the middle and the rest of the lens will be kind of dark.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by KJ-TypeR
The coupe does not have LED's.

Would a sedan owner please check the operator's manual to see if the third brake lamp is LED?
Old 04-10-2002, 02:16 PM

2002 C230 C7,C5
Originally posted by MB-BOB

Um, back on topic. Let's not confuse brake light notification speed with braking ability. Your C-Class will still stop from 60mph in about 120-130 ft, (depending on which rag you read) regardless of which brake lamps you run.

Yes, the faster display allows the driver behind to have more notice that you're braking, but his/her reaction time (at about .45 secs.) is going to be far longer than the .20 sec advantage the LED offers, assuming the driver is paying close attention to begin with. All you've done is pass the message quicker... your car is still stopping at it's normal rate of deceleration.

I think the primary reasons for LEDs is long-term durability (supposedly) and styling/packaging (thin strips of LEDs offer more styling flexibility than rectangular CHMSLs).
I certainly wasn't implying that LEDs will make your car stop more quickly. I was just pointing out that, all other things being equal, LEDs will effectively the car behind you an additional 20 ft of braking distance. This is more likely to be of benefit when the car behind you does not have the braking ability of your MB.

For example:

Hypothetical 1: MB (with stock bulbs) is at point X going 60 mph. Ford Taurus (with a braking distance of 160 ft) going 60 mph 80 ft behind MB. MB slams on brakes. 0.45 (reaction time) + 0.20 (incandescent disadvantage) seconds later, Taurus slams on brakes. MB stops at ~125 ft from point X. Taurus is at ~137 ft from point X. WRECK!

Hypothetical 2: MB (with LEDs) is at point X going 60 mph. Ford Taurus going 60 mph 80 ft behind MB. MB slams on brakes. 0.45 (reaction time) seconds later, Taurus slams on brakes. MB stops at ~125 ft from point X. Taurus is at ~120 ft from point X. No wreck!

All I was saying was that the LEDs might help mitigate the advantage that our cars have over other cars with regards to braking ability.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:23 PM

2002 C230 C7,C5

Originally posted by KJ-TypeR

Plus...changing to LED brake lights will make the regular brake lights look funny because the light won't be uniform, so you'll have a bright spot in the middle and the rest of the lens will be kind of dark.
You wouldn't have a bright spot any more so than you would with an incandescent bulb. Check out these bulbs:

http://netdisty.net/ds/aut1157/

They have LEDs emanating outwards along the edges of the bulb assembly, which would presumably allow for a nearly omnidirectional light output. Besides, there are reflectors contained within the taillight assembly.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Re: LEDs

Originally posted by mongoman
What has this to do with safety issues such as LED's quicker operation vs. regular bulbs? It makes sense no matter what car you have - would equally benefit a Yugo for that matter.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:13 PM

2002 C230 C7,C5
Re: Re: LEDs

Originally posted by vadim
What has this to do with safety issues such as LED's quicker operation vs. regular bulbs? It makes sense no matter what car you have - would equally benefit a Yugo for that matter.
Right, Vadim. If I go for the LEDs, it wouldn't be because I was trying to impress the person behind me. It just seems to make sense from a safety/reliability/convenience standpoint. There must be some reason why all the city buses and Fedex trucks around here have LED brake lights.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED daytime running lights