C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
View Poll Results: Would you buy a Klemann pulley if a group buy was formed
Yes
40.00%
No
13.33%
Depends on price
46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Group buy on Klemann pulleys

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
Group buy on Klemann pulleys

If the demand was large enough do you think it would be possible to get a group buy like some people did with the hid lights? If so it would be great.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 MB C230 SS 6spd, Navi
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure KLEEMAN doesn't participate in in group activities. At least it was mentioned in another thread.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think to do it you would have to go to a Kleemann dealer in another country and make them an offer or try a few remote dealers to see if they want to make a few bucks on a deal they would not have ordinarily gotten. Also don't forget Renntech, Vaeth, H&S, Dynosport, Wetteraur, Brabus, ASP, Carlson and any other company pushing pullies. What you need is to get a group and put it out to bid like any other contract.

Or to save really big bucks, get a factory pulley, send it to a CNC machine shop and make a bigger one out of steel. The pullies seem to be between 26-28cm. This should get the price down to about $200 or less. ASP Racing in Houston said they would be happy to do that for us and they make pulley kits for many different cars.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
Sorry guys, I wasnt aware of the earlier experiances with Klemann and there lack of intrest in matters such as this. But I do think we need to get a group buy together or something.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by TimmyC230boy
But I do think we need to get a group buy together or something.

ABSOLUTELY. Don't get discouraged like I did. There is hope out there.
Old 04-09-2002, 02:50 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
Im in broward too...

maybe if we get a large group of people kleeman might be interested... if not we can try any other brand
Old 04-09-2002, 03:16 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
hope no one will take offense of this idea.

My idea for a group buy maybe purchase one pullet kit from a major brand, then take that to some experience shop and duplicate the pulley. Then the whole group split the cost.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
That would work for me.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Kleemann's prices are pretty good compared to other established brands. The only real way of getting it cheaper is to have them made for us, either by duplicating an existing pulley kit or going to a pulley company and have them make one based on the original, only larger. ASP racing agreed to make them for us but we need to get a stock pulley to them. If they make them, they will be done right and cheap. They make supercharger and crank shaft pullies for many different brands and is a respected pulley maker in their markets.

I did something similar for a group buy on Porterfield brake pads. I went to a company that specializes in Japanese cars and got them to order the pads for us for $100 vs. $159. Places that specialize in MB and BMW are going to overcharge, they can't help it.
Old 04-09-2002, 03:33 PM

hey....count me in for a pulley haha....i think this is a really good idea, and it would open competors eyes that they are not the only ones out who is C-Coupe's are gods!

See, stores that have a lot of pride in themselves will not do things like this because they feel that ppl that really want to the product will pay for it....then some company comes around and does just as good of a job and gets it the public for less...well....they are the ones that everyone then calls on.....good idea guys!
Old 04-10-2002, 03:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Guys:

Kleemann products can only be sold at retail, which is already an enormous value. A 25% gain for $899 is unheard of anywhere else in Mercedes performance! I would be willing to help by paying for shipping if 5 or more people are interested.
Old 04-10-2002, 06:31 AM

Does any of you guys ever thing about where the money comes from in a company to give customers ( you ) a good service ????.

They come of cause from your pockets.

The same money pays for development ect.ect. and explaining
you guys how it works, which in this case seems to be far longer than instalation time of the product it self.

I thing it's a fantastic idea that you do you own kits, so you can save 1-200 $.

Always have in mind :

What you are prepaired to risk - you are prepaired to loose.

Old 04-10-2002, 06:51 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Hej på dig Lucas!

I see you live in Denmark, and given the very high prices on cars (especially luxury cars) I can understand that you are kinda confused when people around here are talking about saving $100-200.

But, on the other hand, I do understand those who really would like to save $200. Keep in mind that those people (me included) NOT drive around in S500s or AMGs! If price wouldn't matter to me, I would have bought a SL55AMG...

I have a question for you as well: Are the prices for aftermarket stuff (like kompressors, pullys etc?) proportional to car prices in Denmark? I havn't found any ratailer in Sweden for Kleemann products, and I thought maybe a trip to Denmark could be a good idea.

Vi är röde, vi är vidte!
Ha det godt!
Old 04-10-2002, 10:18 AM

black on black 2k2-230k auto/c1/c5/c7/k2c/COMAND/TELEAID/Stage II HIDS
Originally posted by Mach430
Guys:

Kleemann products can only be sold at retail, which is already an enormous value. A 25% gain for $899 is unheard of anywhere else in Mercedes performance! I would be willing to help by paying for shipping if 5 or more people are interested.
i like his idea!

personally i am not going to put some makeshift knock off pully in my coupe. if it blows up at least i can yell at the kleeman people since they did the R&D, product development, and testing of the part they sold me!!!

if your part that was machined for you dies, what do you think that shops going to say??? something to this affect "tough ****, you had us make an untested pully, and put it in an unfamiliar platform, and you drove around in it, full well knowing it was a fascimilie" no thanks, i spent over 35k on my car, and i am not gonna skimp to save a few bucks on a very serious precise engine modification.

if you guys wanted to make knock off renntech shift knobs, well i am down with that, whats the worst that could happen? This is an engine part we are talking about.

and on a related note.... you guys ever buy your girlfriend a "designer imposter" perfume (smells just like chanel)??? yea i didnt think so, why do it to your car
Old 04-10-2002, 12:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by young

i'm in only if i get the original undamaged and complete kit! (i'm assuming you're talking about kleemann). the rest of you guys can take the copies...

seriously though, i agree w/ mach (but i wish he'd say the total cost instead of just the pulley kit - $1100-$1200 installed vs $899). it's still a very good deal for 25% more horses - dyno verified and butt tested!!! just stop drinking coffee - lets see $2/day, $10/week, only 110 weeks... ah, never mind...
I didn't include installation in the cost because I wanted to make this available to people who don't live close enough to have us install the kit for them. The Kleemann Pulley kit is fairly easy to install, and can be properly done at any reputable shop. It is the Superchargers that must be installed at an authorized Kleemann dealer. Installation for the pulleys should be between 1-2 labor hours.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does Kleemann have an alloy pulley to sell today? Or is this just smoke and mirrors?

We are close on a group buy deal so don't do anything until you check back on the status. The deal will be for the alloy pulley.

Shhh! don't tell Evosport or Kleemann about this It may upset their price fixing policies.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:52 PM

C230 Kompressor (02 Copupe)
is there any kleeman dealer in Miami?

of FL?
Old 04-10-2002, 04:15 PM

2002 Lexus IS300 5-speed
I am more thinking of savings of at least $500 to make your own pulley. Then I have no idea the cost of material and others.

If it's going to be $100-$200, I would probably just get the brand name pulley.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:25 PM

2002 c230k
I would not be surprised if the finished product cost in the area of $400.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:36 PM
sal

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser
Scylas

Sorry but they don't have a kleemann shop in florida, the closest one is in Georgia. I want to get one but don't really have the funds at this time, if you wait a bit i'll do a road trip with other floridians wanting to do the pulley kit.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:02 PM

Hej DtS

Nej vi har ingen skat på pryglar i Danmark.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am in, if it is for the alloy pulley !
Old 04-10-2002, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by mdp c230k
I would not be surprised if the finished product cost in the area of $400.
$400 would be cheaper than $900. I'll take one please!
Old 04-10-2002, 08:25 PM

C230 kompressor C2 C7
I like the comments so far. I too would be in for a group buy. I like the idea of having a machine shop build one. I really have been doing a lot of thinking on this issue, and have come up with; that the weight of the pulley is important. kleeman has made issue, that building it out of billet alumnium saves rotational weight, therefore increasing horsepower. this doesn't make sense. I understand the weight savings allowing the engine to accelerate quicker, but the net effect of that would not equate to an additional 10 horsepower. additionally renncpe noted that it was not by accident that this pulley has the weight it does. When I was building the high performance engine in my VW (not an onymoron) offroad racer I did a fair amount of research and read some interesting things on harmonics. basically what i understand, is that there is a realitively heavy mass on the rear of the engine, the fly wheel, and if there isn't a significant mass on the front of the engine you could be doing damage to the engine. (i heard your rebuttal, kleeman, but don't totally buy it.)
my next question is about pulley's that Mercedes may already be making. here is what i am thinking. i am wondering if anyone has measured the crank pulley's of other models and years of mercedes to find out if they bolt up and offer a larger diameter. it may be that mercedes already makes a pulley for us, and doesn't know it. the other question is in reguards to the pulley on the supercharger it self. how much smaller could this pulley be made and still exert enough force to turn the blower. or maybe a combination of the two. i don't know the answers, but there are enough of you smart guys out there to figure it out.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230 Sports Coupe
The supercharger pulley cant be made smaller. The ease of install for me means, if something goes wrong, I jack the car up replace stock pulley and take to mb service center and say "I think somethings wrong withthe engine" But with a high quality Pulley that Kleemann Renntech etc makes I dont see that as a problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Group buy on Klemann pulleys