C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

illuminating door sills

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NA
To the brave out there... :)

Mr TechSuperstar:
Originally posted by TechSuperstar
Wiedermann's reply was quite helpful. I must have missed that link at the top of the thread. Hmm.. how cheap do i want to be.
The "link" was on the first page of this thread... what is most probable that happened, is that you read the last few postings, maybe on the second page and this 3rd page, then you definitely missed the link... ... (that happens to me too... if I don't read the whole thread... many times I miss the real juice... -- I get to read a lot of entries though -- .

To those I see that want to work on their cars like yourself, I actually don't think them as cheap at all... you will only save yourself some money on the labor you do yourself, or that might be the most expensive labor for the work you do yourself!!!... depending how you see it (when my father in law did his front lawn, my mother in law said "that is the most expensive lawn I've ever seen".. that was when counting the time my father in law spent doing it!!!)... OR... yup, there is always an "or"... , if you don't know what you are doing, you can ruin your car, then spend more trying to get it back to normal!.. then get what you wanted installed in the first place put on!...lol

The shorter version of my comment would be that I admire those like yourself that are willing to work on the vehicle and/or know how to do it... I whish I knew that myself!!!... (when in college and out of money.. I actually had to replace the clutch I blew up and re-put back together the transmission on my Porsche... my mechanic was kind enought to let me use his repair shop where my car was broken --I had my car towed there...but the price to fix the car was NOT in my reach!! and I think he just figured the car wasn't leaving!! --.. I was lucky that with professional --my mechanic -- council and TWO brand new clutches --the first one I installed it wrong... I torqued each bolt by itself and 3/4s done torquing the brand new clutch was already all screwed up--... ) I learned my lesson...

Let us know if you install the sills yourself or if you chose to go to the dealer/or a shop center to get them installed

Cheers

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 05-27-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is THE sentence that got my eyes flickering: ......"(when in college and out of money.. I actually had to replace the clutch I blew up and re-put back together the transmission on my Porsche....."

You drive a PORSCHE when you're in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spoiled Brat!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Talking It sounds better than it really is!!!...lol

Mr Harris:
Originally posted by Harris
This is THE sentence that got my eyes flickering: ......"(when in college and out of money.. I actually had to replace the clutch I blew up and re-put back together the transmission on my Porsche....."

You drive a PORSCHE when you're in college!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Spoiled Brat!
Trust me on this... I know it "sounds" cool... and when I read it, I am a bit impressed myself... haha... but having a full 100% Austrian Father and being from Viena myself, when I was at home, German cars was what was available...lol

Working on the transmission/clutch was, I think, all I could take of mechanical work... boy I did suffer like hell... complicated... and it cots me twice that if I had the shop do it!!!...lol

Porsches didn't used to be the "cool" car that everyone seems to love so much today...lol... I've had some horrible experiences with those little Porsches where they would work "only" when they wanted... always little cars... powerful and super performers though!!... (the whole idea of the performance brand was just take the Wolkswagens and soup them up...something to what AMG is today... lol... and now they've (Prosche) grown to be a super brand...

Cheers!

Wiedermann
Old 05-27-2004, 10:16 PM

05 CLK 320
I got a quote of about 370+ bucks for a pair or (2 pairs) of door stills from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com . How are these compared to the ones that come from http://www.formymercedes.com, are the 370 ones worth the price. What are the diffreences between the two sets.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by cracker123
I got a quote of about 370+ bucks for a pair or (2 pairs) of door stills from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com . How are these compared to the ones that come from http://www.formymercedes.com, are the 370 ones worth the price. What are the diffreences between the two sets.
Correction: the price is USD370 shipped. Not 370+.

The ones that we offer is a MODIFICATION of the original sills. The one that MB/eBay sells is a piece of metal plate that taped ON TOP of your existing sill.
Old 05-27-2004, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Originally posted by Harris
Correction: the price is USD370 shipped. Not 370+.

The ones that we offer is a MODIFICATION of the original sills. The one that MB/eBay sells is a piece of metal plate that taped ON TOP of your existing sill.
thats what i hagve is the MB one that sits on top of your existing sills and i had to have one replaced because the double back tape wasnt sticking properly.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:26 AM

05 CLK 320
I am sorry i meant to say 370 shipped. So it is much better than tapping. Also one more thing, is the light pretty bright. How much do rear stills cost.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NA
Illuminating door sills worth the price???

Mr. cracker123:
Originally posted by cracker123
Good to see that Mr Harris from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com has already posted his 2 cents on the door sills matter.

To "add" my additional 2 more cents (that is 4 cents so far!!... kidding!!), I have seen the custom door sills Mr Harri's shop builds installed in a C32 (owned by Mr SilvaC32 aka "Super Jerry" ). I have the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Mercedes Benz door sills. After having seen how nice the custom door sills look when compaired to the OEM ones, I placed an order with Mr Harris and purchased a set of the door sills made by his shop .

If you visit http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com, you can see for yourself how the custom made door sills look vs the OEM by Mercedes.

Me personal opinion (having seen both sets) is that the http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com ones are better looking than the OEM ones. The OEM ones just are pretty much attached on top of your existing sills... where as the one from http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com as a very nice "blend in" with the existing door sill itself. As soon as I have my car completed with the door sills, I will post some pictures for everyone to see (a picture is worth a thousand words people say... ).

Just in case there is confusion (which of my postings is ever clear anyway!!...haha! ), after the work is done in my car (my C32 is at the dealership for the long (USA) holiday weekend as some work needs to be done on the car (I don't drive the C32 daily, so it didn't matter the car is staying the weekend, then will resumed being worked on next Tuesday , the work being done is routine maintenance Miscallaneous the dealer didn't do right like 4 wheel car alignment I requested was not done... nothing is wrong with the car, however, regardless, I have my car aligned at least once a year... whelp??? the service done at the beginning of this year, the work wasn't done.. I realized it when a couple of weeks ago I was reviewing the charges on my credit card that "seemed" to be less than I expected --no charge, as the normal scheduled maintenances are free, but what I had asked like the alignment was supposed to be charged--
), I will have the front OEM door sills and the custom rear ones made by http://www.hartonmotorwerks.com (Mr. Harris's shop)... . Mr Harris and I contemplated the possibility to have installed all custom made 4 door sills from his shop, but just the thought of having the dealership remove the already installed 2 front ones then re-install the new custom front ones, then install the rears... ugh!... so for the time being I want to see how "fugly" my C32 will look with the 2 OEM front ones and the 2 rear custom all illuminated door sills (which they all will be in blue, same shade, just different design) and if worse comes to worst, I will have Mr Harris make me the front ones.

For the time being, for those who have not seen my pics posted in the C32 Picture thread, and so that I don't **** those whom already have seen all the pictures, I only post one of the existing front door sills:

Wiedermann's C32 Front door sills:

Cheers!

Wiedermann

Last edited by Wiedermann; 05-28-2004 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:02 PM

03' E39 M5, 10' CLS63 AMG
Hey guys...
i did not want to start a new topic about this again... soo i just picked up one and thought i would ask my question here...

I looked every where but i can seem to find "RED" color the illuminating door sills. Do u any of you guys know where i can get Red color illuminating door sills. ?????

I don't think the blue color would look nice in my car. ???
Old 03-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Harry Madan
y wouldn't blue look nice on ur car???
Old 03-11-2008, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Hey guys...
i did not want to start a new topic about this again... soo i just picked up one and thought i would ask my question here...

I looked every where but i can seem to find "RED" color the illuminating door sills. Do u any of you guys know where i can get Red color illuminating door sills. ?????

i disagree bro, blue would look great on white/
Old 03-11-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by MJ50
y wouldn't blue look nice on ur car???
because my car has red/black leather seats, so blue would be a clash...

and....

Originally Posted by 14cue
i disagree bro, blue would look great on white/
my car has red and black seats, and i just installed red carpet light... so the floor of all the cabins in the car glow red at night, to contras with the red seats and red lights under the seats i would like to have read illumining door sills

Last edited by Harry Madan; 03-11-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano

and....

my car has right and black seats, and i just installed red carpet light... so the floor of all the cabins in the car glow red at night, so to agree contras with the red seats and red lights under the seats i would like to have read illumining door sills
since you did not clarify in the original post that your car had red accents (seats & lights), everyone assumed that you had the typical black/grey/taupe interiors with regular white lighting.

with that said....red would be better, otherwise, your car would be patriotic with red/white/blue.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by NO_WUR_E
since you did not clarify in the original post that your car had red accents (seats & lights), everyone assumed that you had the typical black/grey/taupe interiors with regular white lighting.

with that said....red would be better, otherwise, your car would be patriotic with red/white/blue.
agreed my fault, i should have been more clear...
so now that being said...

where can i get read illuminating door sills?????
Old 03-11-2008, 09:42 PM

c230 Kompressor Coupe
Whoa! How'd you do that!? I wanna know!
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
harry-
i modified set of illum sills for my brother to amber. the sills laminate I had were
layered (bottom to top) backing sheet, EL ribbon, lettering, clear sheet. i
peeled off the adhesive backing and replaced blue with yellowish EL ribbon.
i was careful so as not to harm the clear top layer and lettering. I used
Goof-off as well via q-tip. went this route because i wasn't aware of anyone
selling illum sills in different colors

the amber was a more suitable match to the interior dash lighting. sorry, don't
have pics. dont remember where i bought the EL sheets/ribbon but it was
probably from something like this. i've been playing with interior lighting accents
using the cables as well, but so far havent been satisfied to where I've left
them in place. i was somewhat inspired by interior of the newer model
'ambient lighting' packages and wanted to experiment a little

Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)

and....

my car has red and black seats, and i just installed red carpet light... so the floor of all the cabins in the car glow red at night, to contras with the red seats and red lights under the seats i would like to have read illumining door sills

I'm assuming that this lighting is custom. Did you do it yourself? What did you use, and where did you power it? Danke.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E90 M3
not a fan of the hot spots
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I got mine from Performance Products. It took a couple of hours to install, and it comes with detailed instructions.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ChristianJan
Whoa! How'd you do that!? I wanna know!
they are these lights just put on the inside of my car. they are powered by the same power source as my radar detector, and they are on a 3 way switch, they turn on when the door opens and i can keep them on all the time too. + turn them off completely.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by kevblah
not a fan of the hot spots
what did u use??? Tubes?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by raymond g-
harry-
i modified set of illum sills for my brother to amber. the sills laminate I had were
layered (bottom to top) backing sheet, EL ribbon, lettering, clear sheet. i
peeled off the adhesive backing and replaced blue with yellowish EL ribbon.
i was careful so as not to harm the clear top layer and lettering. I used
Goof-off as well via q-tip. went this route because i wasn't aware of anyone
selling illum sills in different colors

the amber was a more suitable match to the interior dash lighting. sorry, don't
have pics. dont remember where i bought the EL sheets/ribbon but it was
probably from something like this. i've been playing with interior lighting accents
using the cables as well, but so far havent been satisfied to where I've left
them in place. i was somewhat inspired by interior of the newer model
'ambient lighting' packages and wanted to experiment a little

thx that is a grate help, i can so do that.

P.S. the benz dealer will sell u illuminating door sills in 3 different colors...
u can get Yellow, Green and White.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by jedcred
I'm assuming that this lighting is custom. Did you do it yourself? What did you use, and where did you power it? Danke.
ya they are custom, and i did install them my self. i have a power source coming right from the battery to the inside of my car under the passenger side carpet.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
ya they are custom, and i did install them my self. i have a power source coming right from the battery to the inside of my car under the passenger side carpet.
How did you link it to the door-open trigger?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by jedcred
How did you link it to the door-open trigger?
it was setup with a 3 way switch, it got three points, 1. always on, 2 on with door, and 3. off.

u can use the door switch as an on and off for the lights.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: illuminating door sills