C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2005 C230k Coupe test drive (long post)

Old 06-06-2004, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C230k Coupe test drive (long post)

2005 C230k Coupe test drive

I have learned quite a bit from members of this board. I finally had a chance to test drive a 2005 C230k Sport Coupe this Friday and, since I have not seen any review of that car here, thought that it was time for me to give something back by writing one.

AFAIK (i.e., as far as both dealers I have visited tell me), the Iridium Silver coupe I test-drove is one of the first in the area. Whereas the face-lifted sedans are plentiful, the coupes have been another matter.

1. Background:

My wife and I are in the market to replace our second car, and we have decided on the 2005 C230k coupe. We’ll be ordering ours tomorrow (pano roof, stick, power & memory heated seat, color still TBD).

In this post, I summarize my reactions after test-driving two 2004 C230k sports-coupe demos for about 20 miles total in the last two weeks (one auto, one manual, both with cloth), two 2005 sedans (auto) for about 20 miles, and a 2005 C230k sport coupe (auto) for about 4 miles. The 2005 coupe that I test drove had few options: panoramic sunroof and leather.

2. 2004 Sports Coupe vs. 2005 C230k Sport Coupe

Mechanicals: In terms of handling and steering, I did not find any major difference between the 2004’s and 2005 coupes. Unfortunately, I did not have time to check out the 2005 on a small winding road (which is where I had found the 2004 coupe somewhat ponderous) but I expect the 2005 to be the same or better than the 2004.

Aesthetics: The Iridium Silver paint is, for lack of a better word, more distinctive than the Brilliant Silver it replaces -- not very different, mind you, but a bit lighter and brighter than other silver cars on the road.

In addition to the exterior changes already discussed on this board (e.g., grille, headlights, taillights), there are two others that may be worth mentioning. First, the rear wheels are now 245x40 rather than 225x45. I haven’t seen this change mentioned either on this board or on the MB USA website (which quotes 225x40 rear, a typo). The effect is to make the car look a bit more aggressive -- but the cost is some additional tire roar (enough that I noticed). Second, the regular (non-xenon) headlights now look more like those of the CLK than those of the 2005 sedans.

Interior: OK, major improvements here. IMHO, the 2004 had seemingly robust fittings but their fit & finish was not up to the standards set by VW -- let alone Audi. In contrast, the 2005 coupe (at least in charcoal) has an arguably better interior than the Passat -- if still not up to par with an A4 or a Touareg (more expensive, but a VW nonetheless). With the exception of the door handles, which look OK but could look better, the plastics on the 2005 coupe are better-looking than before and now almost completely match across all interior panels. For those interested, I heard not a single rattle on any of the coupes I drove (including this 2005), even on very bad city roads. Finally, the base stereo is much better than that on 2004 models. Indeed I found it quite good, even though the quality of FM reception is still not perfect.

Any remaining issues? The biggest issue for me is the seating. I wish that MB had taken the opportunity to replace the 2004 seats by those of the sport sedan, whose front seatbacks have a more comfortable shape for tall people than the 2-piece affairs on the coupes. I also wish that the handrail on the driver’s side were an option – my head kept hitting it, and I am only 6’1”. Finally (I am nitpicking here), it would be nice if the textures of the various switches were more similar; for example, whereas the dashboard controls look and feel nice, the sunroof switches remain of Chevy-like quality.

Note: the 2005 coupe that I drove was trimmed in charcoal leather. That leather looks and feels more like MB Tex than I think leather should. My advice: stay with the MB-Tex and save $1,500 or so. FWIW, the salesman encouraged us to order MB-Tex for the same reason + durability.

3. 2005 C230k -- coupe vs. sedan:

The cars drive pretty similarly, but there are a few noticeable differences.

The pluses for the 2005 sedan are its much better seats, greater headroom and straighter side window than on the coupe. I also liked the power rear-window sunshade and the dashboard switch to retract the backseat headrests, both of which are unavailable on the coupe.

Pluses for the coupe include the pano roof (a matter of personal preference) and less noise. Specifically, I was surprised by the fact that the sedans have a resonance on various road surfaces that is simply not there in the coupes. It seems not to be a matter of tires, because we had the exact same experience with a 2002 C240 that we test-drove almost three years ago. As an aside, I felt that the engine was less noisy with the stick than with the auto– there is a slight “boominess” on the latter that is not there on the former.

Arguably, the coupe has a slightly better looking interior (the aluminum trim’s color is different on the coupe, and looks better to my eyes), and the availability of dark wood trim is a plus if one does not like the aluminum. Those last items, however, are all matters of personal preferences.

4. Bottom line:

Overall pretty much a draw between 2005 sedans and coupes, but my wife likes the looks and slightly smaller size of the coupe a lot better. I am indifferent between these two 2005’s, so a coupe it is.

Last edited by ayilar; 06-06-2004 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
You have forgotten about versatility of the coupe - just try to take 2 people to an airport with all their luggage - impossible task for the sedan. The coupe does become a little truck with the seats down. That's why hatchbacks are so popular in Europe, unlike the U.S. - and this is why MB prices the coupe so attractively in the States; in Europe a loaded C230K Coupe is more expensive than Audi TT.

P.S. As for handling - can be fixed very easily by installing AMG sway bars. An easy DIY job, done by many in this forum.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
Don't forget to get a C Spot Coupon, worth $1500 on any deal you make.

Also the 2005 C230 Coupe should have at least $2000 off the list price.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
i agree with breastroker, dont forget the coupon. if you need on let me know i still have one left as of right now. first come first serve.

also the coupe is very versatile, i have taken two people to the airport and with the seats down it is great not only for that but to haul things around and with the hatch being taller than a trunk you have more cargo volume.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:59 PM

Thanks to all re: the coupon info. I was under the impression that it was solely for leases, but apparently straight purchases without financing are OK as well, which changes things a bit.

Vadim & Citron: As for the versatility, it's funny you mention the airport. We have a Passat also as a family car, but the ability to drive wih 4 people from the airport was indeed a consideration in our final choice (vs. an RX-8).

Vadim: How do you like the power driver's seat? I have been unable to find an in-stock coupe with power seats, and am worried that they might rob some more headspace.

Last edited by ayilar; 06-06-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:46 AM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
If you're ordering the car make sure you get the lighting pkg. HID's are a must.

Don't get it without them!
Old 06-07-2004, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by ayilar
Vadim: How do you like the power driver's seat? I have been unable to find an in-stock coupe with power seats, and am worried that they might rob some more headspace.
Power/Memory seats in my opinion are a must option. If you can't find one on the lot order it. Most likely all you will find on the lot are stripped down cars because that's how they sell most of them.

I've ordered my last 4 cars. I want it how I want it, and won't take a substitute off the lot with less options.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Yes power seats are a must. Especially if two people are driving it as the memory seats that are set to the key is great. I just put my key in and the seat goes to my spot, my wife puts her key in and it goes to her spot. Great way to do it. I am a little dissapointed that you do not get dual power seats as an option anymore, but oh well, that is why I got the 2003.....
Old 06-07-2004, 09:36 AM

The memory feature is a key reason why we are getting power seats, especially because the manual controls on the C are a pain to deal with (in contrast to the Passat, say, in which they are relatively easy to use for adjustments on a daily basis).

I don't mind the lack of power on the passenger side -- one less thing that can go bad.

Mctwin, Hitec: Can you provide feedback re: seating height? I am 6'1" and brushing against the headliner in my favorite driving position, and am afraid the PS might rob me of some more headroom.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Thanks to all re: the coupon info. I was under the impression that it was solely for leases, but apparently straight purchases without financing are OK as well, which changes things a bit.

Vadim & Citron: As for the versatility, it's funny you mention the airport. We have a Passat also as a family car, but the ability to drive wih 4 people from the airport was indeed a consideration in our final choice (vs. an RX-8).

I am 6'0", and there still is plenty of headroom with the pano roof and the power seats. I like it a lot - helps restore the "sweet" position after car gets back from service/inspection/etc., where service folks always mess it up.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by mctwin2kman
I am a little dissapointed that you do not get dual power seats as an option anymore, but oh well, that is why I got the 2003.....
I have a 2004 and I have dual power with memory on Passenger and Driver seats. When did they discontinue the power passenger seats?
Old 06-07-2004, 11:32 AM

Mctwin, Hitec: Can you provide feedback re: seating height? I am 6'1" and brushing against the headliner in my favorite driving position, and am afraid the PS might rob me of some more headroom.
It's my wifes car and I don't drive it too much, but I'm 6' and I don't have any problems. I wanna say it doesn't even seem close. I probably have my seat lowered all the way down too.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:22 PM

Vadim, Hitec: Thanks for the feedback, I hope it works for me too (it's OK if it is a close fit as my wife will be the main driver and I will only be driving it during week-ends).

Hitec: They replaced the old comfort package ($1,450) with dual power memory seats, mirror lights and sunvisor-mirror illumination with a cheaper ($600) stand-alone option with power driver seat only. I did not check if the mirror lights are now standard.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:26 PM

Interesting! Thanks!

Power pass seat is not really a big deal. I think have memory for the passenger seat is totally over-kill!

Who cares about the passenger! Doh! That is me most of the time.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:27 PM
taylor192

Originally posted by vadim
The coupe does become a little truck with the seats down.
I fit all 4 winter tires in my coupe with the seats down. You'd never beable to that that in the sedan.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by taylor192
I fit all 4 winter tires in my coupe with the seats down. You'd never beable to that that in the sedan.
I own another hatchback I use as my beater car. I don't want to mention the name out of fear of embarrasment, but anyway.. I've an incredible amount of stuff in there! Your post reminded me when I was at Home Depot buying a new interior door for my house. The one with the whole door jam and hardware any everything. It's pretty big. I wheel it out to my car in the parking lot. There was several rednecks out there getting out of their pickups looking at what I was about to put in my car. I know they were thinking, this idiot is never going to fit that in there. Anyway, folded the seats down, jammed the door in the hatch and drove away. I was not able to shut the hatch, but hey who cares. I bet those dudes watching me were pretty suprised.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:30 PM

2003 C230 K , 2001 ML320
I had all my tires and rims in the back of my coupe, and another time a scooter.

You can't do that with a SLK