C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mercedes not being very supportive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c230 kompressor
Mercedes not being very supportive

I am going to get a 2003 coupe when they come out, but as of now my mom has a CLK and she took it in yesterday. I want to get a black coupe and a manual tranny. My mom hates that idea because she had a black car and she says they get dirty blah blah blah and that I wouldn't like a manual. Well, the mercedes technician there said that i SHOULD NOT get black and that mercedes manual transmissions are crappy. What the hell?
Old 04-19-2002, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Hmmm. Maybe your mom talked to the guy and they're in cahoots
Old 04-19-2002, 10:17 AM

c230 kompressor
THATS IT THATS IT!!! lol that tech also tried to tell me that the manual tranny is MORE EXPENSIVE than the auto... that is simply not true
Old 04-19-2002, 11:37 AM

C230 coupe 6sp
The manual has it's share of complaints. Mine has never shifted right, and if you check some of the threads, a lot of other people have problems too. As for the black color, it looks good when it has just been washed and waxed. It shows every speck of dust, and it shows swirl marks easier than any other color. High maintenence. But if that is what you want, enjoy!
Old 04-19-2002, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a black 6spd and when it's polished up nothing looks better. The manual tranny shifts fine. Test drive it before you buy so you don't get one off the bad ones. MB has always had inconsistant build quality. The automatic hesitates too much for me and would drive me crazy.

Before you get black think to yourself, are you going to hand wash it at least once a week, are you going to wax it once a month, are you going to polish/buff the car twice a year. If you're not then after a year or so the car will look like crap and you won't be happy.
Old 04-19-2002, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
The automatic hesitates too much for me and would drive me crazy.
actually, i have a theory about this. the manumatic hesitates after the tap to go up or down. and many manual drivers seem to find this very annoying. but as i'm mostly an auto driver, i'm ok w/ it. to me, the 1/2 second before it shifts is the same as someone stepping on the clutch, shifting, and releasing the clutch... how long did that take? i think that manuals have that viceral feedback that makes it more palatable. personally, i'd much prefer the SMG2 system where the shifting is in an almost instantaneous split second - faster than a person can ever shift manually. (that's why i'd really love to try the sequentronic available in europe. why not in the US, MB???)

as a comparison, the bmw's craptronic... i mean, Steptronic, hesitates much longer than the mb's shiftronic to the point of uselessness. the bmw's also shifts up/down after moving the shifter to the left side from D. audi's is similar but it moves to the right and tap up/down. the mb's is an excellent manumatic system and the tapping left/right seems to work better for me and is pretty intuitive now.

but, if you want a manual, you should go for it. it's good to know at least how to drive a manual (sorry, i'm assuming that you're learning) so it's easier to drive in europe.

i had a black car for 4 years. and yes, i washed it frequently, but i didn't really mind. at that age, i had plenty of time and energy... the implication is that now, i'm much too oooollld...
Old 04-19-2002, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c230k, black, auto, c2 (let the sunshine in), Bose, leather, and CD
Originally posted by young

the implication is that now, i'm much too oooollld...
Happens to the best of us. Nice to know I have such good company!

Old 04-19-2002, 02:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Black on Black C Coupe 230 ,6sp, C5-C7-Illum Sills, Cd
Black....yes....Classy and Sassy!!!

To me the Black says Mercedes on it as well as looks the best. It is true as we all know Maintance. I keep mine in the garage, dust it off with a California Duster (Costco-or anywear) Gently. Everyone wants to open the door with the frame. Finger marks allways all over...I could just kill them..can make you a finatic over all this because every tiny spot drives me crazy. Little scratches show...would I do it again?? Crazy but this car just looks to me the best in black then I guess Silver. How about trying the Silver with the blue opal tint.I belive this is only for the more expensive cars..but with a few extra fun tickets(mone$) be unique!! G and M Auto Body just painted one the other day>>>>>>WOW a beauty every angle shined with a hint of opalesence....! Let us know!!!
Old 04-19-2002, 03:42 PM

2001 C240
Yvette....

Oh my God...

I thought I was the only one who fretted about passengers opening/closing the doors on the frames. Too many fingerprints!!!! Use the handles!!!!

Keep a bottle of the Meguiar's detail spray in the trunk for reasons like this.

- Spin
Old 04-19-2002, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C240 6-spd (ret)
Re: Yvette....

Originally posted by spindrome
Oh my God...

I thought I was the only one who fretted about passengers opening/closing the doors on the frames. Too many fingerprints!!!! Use the handles!!!!
Years ago, a friend told me of a friend who had a Mustang and couldn't stand when people touched the seat belt buckles and got prints on them! There's always someone "worse" than us!
Old 04-19-2002, 09:45 PM
gab

my C7 6sp shifts as good as honda/acura 6sp not the kind of honda/acura good but different kind of good which it grow on you as it ages