C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c320 wagon purchase tomorrow???

Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C320 wagon 325XI wagon
c320 wagon purchase tomorrow???

A Craig's listed 2002 C320 wagon, located in Hartford, Ct. for sale ..(still active 02/23/19) has an accumulated 114k...and appears in photos in remarkably very good condition inside and out. It features new tires, new front rotors and pads, ATF fluid and filter change, o2 and egr replacements...new valve cover gaskets, lower radiator hose..new plugs..12 of them...6 new coil packs. I have an appointment tomorrow to see the C320 wagon with the anticipation to drive it home...Has anyone here a warning about this model of MB? Please give me a heads up...if so.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts
2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Fwiw, in general, *I* do not recommend buying any used MB.
There are many reasons for that.

In general, MB, BMW, and GM all design their cars to last ~70K-120K miles.
That is their market! That's called real life. If that is a good, smart, profitable idea/market is debatable.
Toyota and Honda sell based on having reliable, long lasting cars.

Also, repairing a MB, BMW, VW, Audi, vehicle can be VERY expensive to repair, and the independent mechanics are far and few in between.

So, you have been warned!

Every model/year/engine/options for any vehicle has it's good and bad points.
Some may be good.
And, some Toyota and Honda vehicles make the POS GM vehicles look like the best made, most reliable vehicles every made.
And, some GM vehicles (like an 95/96 Achieva - revised Quad4 engine) can be awesome cars for people that do not live in snow states.
So, while generalities can be useful, it's important that people know, and realize, what the word means.

Given the above, that car looks like it's in a good section of Hartford. Near Wethersfield.
The car also looks like it was well kept.

Things for concern. I don't have any idea of what they mean by "12 spark plugs". If it's a gas engine, then it's an M112 engine.
http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=31

Imho, that's one of the very few engine that MB made past 2000 that *imho* isn't a flaming POS. Yes, that includes every new cr*p engine they are making. As I safd before, they are designing the vehicle for the owner that buys new and sells when, or just before, the warranty expires.

Something else to ask about: Does the car have the ride leveling suspension/shocks. If it does, that is why they are selling the car. By now, that system VERY VERY likely has at least a small leak. That leak will just keeping worse.

Also, NEVER EVER EVER EVER even consider buying a used car without doing an OBD-II scan.
For a MB, you *really* want the iCarSoft MB scanner (~$180 on Amazon).

However, even most cheap scanner will tell you the "I/M" statuses.
They should all either be "OK" or N/A. Any "INC" means "incomplete", which means runs as fast as you can from that vehicle.
Also, look for existing or *pending* DTCs (codes). Again, any means run as fast as you can from that vehicle!
Don't forget, unless the car passing Conn emissions testing, you can forget about driving that car.

Fwiw, as I've said a zillion times in the forums, I bought my C230K because, to me, it's SEXY AS H*****! My C230 is my toy.
For a used car daily driver, I'll always say get used Camry, Accord, Civic, or Corolla, that looks well cared for.
And, of course, do an OBD-II scan!

GO HUSKYS!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 PM

2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Oops, I forgot to include the following links:

The Truth About Buying a Used Mercedes Benz Car
Scotty Kilmer

Why Not to Buy a Luxury Car Like Mercedes
Scotty Kilmer

Btw, my views on how/why some manufactures make/target their vehicles, is not because of what people like Scotty Kilmer says. He is knowledgeable.
But, he's not an engineer, and hasn't had to design to the real life cost/reliability/etc constraints/goals. I have - for a few decades. In real life, there are trade offs.

And, there are brands that charge more, because they can, and because that is their market.

Good luck.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:04 PM

2005 C230K Sport Coupe
And, yes, my C230K is Super Sexy!
And, it is from NY, then Conn.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by Saltshaker1
A Craig's listed 2002 C320 wagon, located in Hartford, Ct. for sale ..(still active 02/23/19) has an accumulated 114k...and appears in photos in remarkably very good condition inside and out. It features new tires, new front rotors and pads, ATF fluid and filter change, o2 and egr replacements...new valve cover gaskets, lower radiator hose..new plugs..12 of them...6 new coil packs. I have an appointment tomorrow to see the C320 wagon with the anticipation to drive it home...Has anyone here a warning about this model of MB? Please give me a heads up...if so.
I have 170k miles on my 02 C320 wagon. Ask me anything.

There are no show stoppers on these cars. If you are a handy DIY you can run it for cheap. Wagon C320s at that mileage are so rare that if you find one you just buy it and fix whatever needs fixing. They are dead reliable and easy to work on.
Originally Posted by RedGray
Fwiw, in general, *I* do not recommend buying any used MB.
There are many reasons for that.

In general, MB, BMW, and GM all design their cars to last ~70K-120K miles.
That is their market! That's called real life. If that is a good, smart, profitable idea/market is debatable.
Toyota and Honda sell based on having reliable, long lasting cars.

Also, repairing a MB, BMW, VW, Audi, vehicle can be VERY expensive to repair, and the independent mechanics are far and few in between.

So, you have been warned!

Every model/year/engine/options for any vehicle has it's good and bad points.
Some may be good.
And, some Toyota and Honda vehicles make the POS GM vehicles look like the best made, most reliable vehicles every made.
And, some GM vehicles (like an 95/96 Achieva - revised Quad4 engine) can be awesome cars for people that do not live in snow states.
So, while generalities can be useful, it's important that people know, and realize, what the word means.

Given the above, that car looks like it's in a good section of Hartford. Near Wethersfield.
The car also looks like it was well kept.

Things for concern. I don't have any idea of what they mean by "12 spark plugs". If it's a gas engine, then it's an M112 engine.
http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=31

Imho, that's one of the very few engine that MB made past 2000 that *imho* isn't a flaming POS. Yes, that includes every new cr*p engine they are making. As I safd before, they are designing the vehicle for the owner that buys new and sells when, or just before, the warranty expires.

Something else to ask about: Does the car have the ride leveling suspension/shocks. If it does, that is why they are selling the car. By now, that system VERY VERY likely has at least a small leak. That leak will just keeping worse.

Also, NEVER EVER EVER EVER even consider buying a used car without doing an OBD-II scan.
For a MB, you *really* want the iCarSoft MB scanner (~$180 on Amazon).

However, even most cheap scanner will tell you the "I/M" statuses.
They should all either be "OK" or N/A. Any "INC" means "incomplete", which means runs as fast as you can from that vehicle.
Also, look for existing or *pending* DTCs (codes). Again, any means run as fast as you can from that vehicle!
Don't forget, unless the car passing Conn emissions testing, you can forget about driving that car.

Fwiw, as I've said a zillion times in the forums, I bought my C230K because, to me, it's SEXY AS H*****! My C230 is my toy.
For a used car daily driver, I'll always say get used Camry, Accord, Civic, or Corolla, that looks well cared for.
And, of course, do an OBD-II scan!

GO HUSKYS!!!!!!!!!
Shut the **** up you blithering idiot.

Last edited by tjts1; 02-24-2019 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 AM

2005 C230K Sport Coupe
Originally Posted by tjts1
Shut the **** up you blithering idiot.
LMAO!

Directly from ad:
=======
Recent Service within 500 miles;

- new 02 sensor
- new EGR valve
- new Valve Cover Gaskets
- transmission flush, gasket change, and filter & connector
- new lower radiator hose
- newer tires (3 months old)
- new Bosch spark plugs (12 of them)
- new coil packs (6)
- antifreeze coolant flush
- Oil Change (Mobil 1 0W-40)
- New front rotors & pads

=========

Note:
- new EGR valve
- new Valve Cover Gaskets
- new lower radiator hose
- new coil packs (6)

So, with all due respect, you are the blithering idiot, since that car has had service that would be very very very rarely done on a Honda or Toyota.
And, the cost of those items is far from cheap, when done ny a MB dealer.
Plus, they are selling that POS car after all of that work was done only 500 miles ago.

Just because you can repair things on your car, does not mean that your car, nor that model, has a good reliability.

And, just about every long term vehicle rating service/magazine/etc rates MB as poor.

Clearly, you don't have any knowledge of the automobile industry. I also doubt that you have knowledge about marketing/etc.

How about this, YOU pay 50% of the repair costs for that car for 2 years?
Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 MB C240. 2004 ML500, 2005 F150
LOL, you use scotty kilmer for advice. That guy is the absolute WORST person to listen to or take advice from. He's so full of crap his eyes are brown.

There's nothing wrong with buying a car with 100k+ miles on it. That's not even considered high mileage anymore until you get upwards of around 200k or so. All car manufactures have their problems, yes, even toyota and honda. Maintenance is the key and if it has been maintained and looks, runs, sounds, well, then make an informed decision and purchase it.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:57 AM

C320 wagon 325XI wagon
Thanks for the responses people. I will be looking at it for the first time at noon and will let all know how it turned out....Thanks again..Steve
Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM

C320 wagon 325XI wagon
I did buy the C320 wagon today and I think I made a good choice. The wagon runs smooth with smooth shifting and tracked straight down the highway home. Brakes also were very good with no pulling to one side or to the other. The differential is tight with no clunks or bangs upon acceleration or deceleration forward drive and or in reverse, a nice overall ride. This will be my fifth MB car I have owned and drove from now over 20+ years. My last before this MB was the 87 300D that I sold back in 08 with 401k. Since I that time I drove Audi and still drive my 3 series BMW. I do my own service work, always have. I look forward to learn more about this C320 to keep it running from the many DIY here. Thanks...Steve

Last edited by Saltshaker1; 02-24-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 333 Posts
C320
Congrats, welcome to the club.
The following users liked this post:
Saltshaker1 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Yes, congrats indeed, sounds like you got a clean car.

I would be interested in seeing some pictures.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 227 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by RedGray
And, yes, my C230K is Super Sexy!
As they say, ......................... BEAUTY, shall ALWAYS be in the eye of the BEHOLDER!