C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05 C230 sedan or Acura TL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Smile

I too own both an Acura TL-S and a Mecedes.
Engine goes to Acura as well as a lot of standard features that costs an arm and a leg from Mercedes. The TL-S handles better than any other FWD I've driven but I think my C230 Coupe corners better. Paint is better on the Acura.
Reliabilty and reasonable maintenance costs go to the Acura. Good handling and favorable comments get the Mercedes.
I actually really like both cars. Either one is a great vehicle.

2002 C230 Coupe six speed Paprika
2003 Acura TL-S silver/ebony (very quick)
Old 07-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 996TT,2004 996 C2,2005 C230K
Originally Posted by kokketiel
You've got to be kidding me!
Exactly my thoughts ^^^
Old 07-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Almost a Member!

[QUOTE=ultraseven]I have a feeling DaCeptak0n believes that owning an E Class makes him/her higher up in social ladder compared with the C class 2nd class peasants.

With an E-class ?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:29 AM

2001 ML320 E, 2003 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by mayday
I too own both an Acura TL-S and a Mecedes.
Engine goes to Acura as well as a lot of standard features that costs an arm and a leg from Mercedes. The TL-S handles better than any other FWD I've driven but I think my C230 Coupe corners better. Paint is better on the Acura.
Reliabilty and reasonable maintenance costs go to the Acura. Good handling and favorable comments get the Mercedes.
I actually really like both cars. Either one is a great vehicle.

2002 C230 Coupe six speed Paprika
2003 Acura TL-S silver/ebony (very quick)

Soooo....first of all read the header, it's sedan against sedan.

Second - is it the fact that your front and rear bumper skin's paint doesn't match the rest of the car (they are about 2 shades different on most of the Acurii that I have seen) that leads you to believe the paint is better on the Acura?

Third - The platform on the Acura just is not there. There is just too much missing from it to compare. Ex. rear air bags, the junky gas cap release, the lack of an external trunk opener, etc, etc, etc. See my previous posts for more details.

I disagree with this comparison entirely ..... this is like comparing a sophisticated degreed sexy woman against sexy trailer trash. Guess which one can perform better, and which one is going to make more people smile dinner party.

I think a much better comparison is a well equipped Pontiac Grand Am against the Acura. They will end up in the same price range, and both have the same level of deficiencies.

By the way, has the Acura Transmission been recalled yet? You did hear about the recall?

Ed.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:31 AM

[QUOTE=SergC]
Originally Posted by ultraseven
I have a feeling DaCeptak0n believes that owning an E Class makes him/her higher up in social ladder compared with the C class 2nd class peasants.

With an E-class ?

Is the C230 or the 996 the one the kids drive?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by fasteddie
Is the C230 or the 996 the one the kids drive?
Naaah ! Kids (both )drive jap. POS's
My son (21 )is crying after driving the TT to go back to his a la rice Acura
Old 07-23-2004, 01:21 AM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by SergC

Old 07-23-2004, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by fasteddie
Soooo....first of all read the header, it's sedan against sedan.

Second - is it the fact that your front and rear bumper skin's paint doesn't match the rest of the car (they are about 2 shades different on most of the Acurii that I have seen) that leads you to believe the paint is better on the Acura?

Third - The platform on the Acura just is not there. There is just too much missing from it to compare. Ex. rear air bags, the junky gas cap release, the lack of an external trunk opener, etc, etc, etc. See my previous posts for more details.

I disagree with this comparison entirely ..... this is like comparing a sophisticated degreed sexy woman against sexy trailer trash. Guess which one can perform better, and which one is going to make more people smile dinner party.

I think a much better comparison is a well equipped Pontiac Grand Am against the Acura. They will end up in the same price range, and both have the same level of deficiencies.

By the way, has the Acura Transmission been recalled yet? You did hear about the recall?

Ed.
Ya, I believe Honda made it a full recall now. Owners of affected cars will be get a letter starting late July.... Tranny will be checked and replaced if needed. But there are a few owners on their 3rd or even 4th tranny already.... I am on my 2nd right now... Tranny replaced @ 52,000 KM.....

I actually like the "lack of external key-hole/release on trunk lid"... It makes the trunk lid smooth.... But I agree, chassis isn't as rigid as German cars... But don't get me wrong, it's not too shabby among Jap cars, and cornering can even be consider "good" consider its size and FWD lay out......

As for different shade of color on bumper, it seems to be very apparent on White Pearl..... A few Silver with 2-shade bumper, but not many.....
Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 AM

"this is like comparing a sophisticated degreed sexy woman against sexy trailer trash. Guess which one can perform better, and which one is going to make more people smile dinner party."

Which one is the trailer trash? And the answer to your question depends on the guests at the dinner party, right?

FYI - the 2003 and 2004 TL's are quite different cars, so a comparison of a 2003 to something else falls short of comparing it to the 2004.

You can compare the TL to the Grand Am in terms of price, I'll compare the C-class to a Oldmobile in terms of reliability... well, MB is working on making their cars as reliable as that.

EDIT: Ok, to be fair, the TL is not a beacon of initial reliability (made in America - go figure), and it seems to be dragging the brand down a bit. But Acura on a whole has a LONG long way to fall before it hits MB down in the pits.

Last edited by vitocorleone; 07-23-2004 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:21 AM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by vitocorleone
I'll compare the C-class to a Oldmobile in terms of reliability... well, MB is working on making their cars as reliable as that.
that wasn't exaggerated or anything...
Old 07-23-2004, 11:33 AM

Only a slight exaggeration, as Oldsmobile barely beats MB:

http://www.jdpower.com/awards/indust...ID=860&CatID=1

But definitely some good-natured sarcasm.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:07 PM

"this is like comparing a sophisticated degreed sexy woman against sexy trailer trash. Guess which one can perform better, and which one is going to make more people smile dinner party."

Which one is the trailer trash? And the answer to your question depends on the guests at the dinner party, right?

FYI - the 2003 and 2004 TL's are quite different cars, so a comparison of a 2003 to something else falls short of comparing it to the 2004.

You can compare the TL to the Grand Am in terms of price, I'll compare the C-class to a Oldmobile in terms of reliability... well, MB is working on making their cars as reliable as that.

EDIT: Ok, to be fair, the TL is not a beacon of initial reliability (made in America - go figure), and it seems to be dragging the brand down a bit. But Acura on a whole has a LONG long way to fall before it hits MB down in the pits.
2004 TL is on newer platform, newer engine managerment, electronic throttle, newer design.... Other than that, overall build quality stays about the same... And since the tranny is almost identical, who knows how long there will be another tranny recall.....

I am not trying to put down TL though, but I am trying to be as fair as possible....

P.S. Never believe any statistics... IMHO, they are as good as sales brochures.....
Old 07-24-2004, 12:01 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 c230 sport coupe six spd. C7
Smile

Reliability and Mercedes......? Suggest you read the latest issue of AutoWeek. In a comparison of a MB S500 and a VW Phaeton the MB had to be hauled off on a flatbed. That's a $90K vehicle.
My point. Reliability is not synonymous with Mercedes.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:44 AM

2001 C320 Sport
We own 2000 Acura TL and 2001 C320 Sport.

If I had to choose between a NEW TL and C class it
would take 1 msec to be at the Acura dealer.

Here is my current pro con based on our cars.

Acura:
Pros
Has been relieable (0 problems,nada) and cheap to maintain.
Good power AWESOME transmision compared to the MB auto.
Cons
More road noise then the MB, I hate noise.
Styling, we have the last model which is totally honda boring.

C320
Pros
Like styling.
Good power
I love the SPORTS suspension in our model, it is well balance between
sport and comfort.
It is really fun to drive, the size is awesome for four doors.
Cons:
I wonder each day if the windows are going to work.
Reliability not great, granted small things but it still wasted days of my time.
Transmission biggest POS.
Insurance in comparison to the Acura.
MB doesn't think the car should come with a dipstick. I bought the tool for $100.

If you are like me any probably many others, you want to own
a MB once in your life. In our case, it will probably be the
first and the last.

p.s. The new acura would smoke the C-class. 270 hp for acura vs what ?
Not including the AMG.

Best of luck.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:56 AM

Have you seen the New TL Yet? I took one for a test drive last week....it's a Honda in a 3 piece suit.

Ed.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by crackerm
We own 2000 Acura TL and 2001 C320 Sport.

If I had to choose between a NEW TL and C class it
would take 1 msec to be at the Acura dealer.

Here is my current pro con based on our cars.

Acura:
Pros
Has been relieable (0 problems,nada) and cheap to maintain.
Good power AWESOME transmision compared to the MB auto.
Cons
More road noise then the MB, I hate noise.
Styling, we have the last model which is totally honda boring.

C320
Pros
Like styling.
Good power
I love the SPORTS suspension in our model, it is well balance between
sport and comfort.
It is really fun to drive, the size is awesome for four doors.
Cons:
I wonder each day if the windows are going to work.
Reliability not great, granted small things but it still wasted days of my time.
Transmission biggest POS.
Insurance in comparison to the Acura.
MB doesn't think the car should come with a dipstick. I bought the tool for $100.

If you are like me any probably many others, you want to own
a MB once in your life. In our case, it will probably be the
first and the last.

p.s. The new acura would smoke the C-class. 270 hp for acura vs what ?
Not including the AMG.

Best of luck.
Strange you are calling the Merc transmission a POS, the Acura Transmission has been the biggest problem with Acura over the Last 3 Years. So much so that they have done a recall.

Ed.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by mayday
Reliability and Mercedes......? Suggest you read the latest issue of AutoWeek. In a comparison of a MB S500 and a VW Phaeton the MB had to be hauled off on a flatbed. That's a $90K vehicle.
My point. Reliability is not synonymous with Mercedes.

Well there you go already. Stupid *** Autoweek comparing the VW to an S class. These are the same guys that said they didn't like the Mercedes plasticy fake wood trim...it was far to cheep for a car of stature.

What did you expect...they can't figure out how to start the S!

There is no key!

They never put gas in it!

they never had the card in their hip pocket!

they had the wrong card!

it really wasn't an S it was a C.....I don't know, i's tough to tell the diff, the headlight look the same!
Old 07-24-2004, 01:10 PM

Lexus GS 450h
the TL is not an accord. the tsx is based off of the european accord. i don't like the tl because its plain. sure the horsepower is great but in an automatic it isn't much faster than a 230 anyway. i disagree with the comment about the 230 sounding like a kia. its a little louder than most 4 cylinders because its supercharged. and its meant to be sporty after all. it would be hard to compare the tl and c230. there much different vehicles. but i must say i traded my 2003 maxima se for one. and i absolutely love it. the maxima was a great and fast car but wasn't sporty at all. the c230 handles like a true german sports sedan and is extremely fun to drive. plus you can't compare the looks to the tl. good luck with the decision...
RSX=Civic based
TSX=Euro Accord
CL=old accord platform and discontinued
TL=new accord platform, built next to the Accord in OHIO!

TL is a good buy for those that want to move up from Accords and desire this "value". What the hell is luxury and value doing in the same sentence?
1SickleX (sp?) - have you done the same search for issues with the C230 for comparison? How about posting it here so people can make a fair assessment? Generally speaking, Acura is a much more reliable brand (MB ranks below average and below Oldsmobile and Ford, etc).
Japanese cars should and BETTER be reliable. Considering the TL is really AMERICAN MADE, and clearly since they built it here in 1999, it has turned into a poorly built American car. Tranny, rattles, cheap paint, cheap leather, cheap doors, headliner falling, TRANNY, etc etc etc. The 1st gen 1995-1998 Japanese made TL did not sell well nor fared well in comparisions but it is built like a tank.
I mean, don't you think EVERY car maker would stuff their 35k car with all those toys if there wasn't something to offset it? It's quality.
Why buy an unreliable Japanese branded car?
With Benz, we expect the car to break down. Comes with the territory. They also are built like tanks. And RWD cars are real cars. You dont see a Benz based on a Chrysler Cirrus do you?
Old 07-24-2004, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I mean, don't you think EVERY car maker would stuff their 35k car with all those toys if there wasn't something to offset it? It's quality.
Why buy an unreliable Japanese branded car?
With Benz, we expect the car to break down. Comes with the territory. They also are built like tanks. And RWD cars are real cars. You dont see a Benz based on a Chrysler Cirrus do you?

Actually, I am really starting to admire Daimler-Chrysler. They are designing platforms for their intended targets. Ex. the 300C, the Crossfire; and they are making good use of the upperscale parts. That is, rather than using a low-end platform and trying to graduate it upwards, they are using the many upper-end parts and putting then in the lower scale models. (If you can call 300c, and Crossfire lower scale - but then again, as apposed to Merc....). I think I be inclined to pick a 300C over an RL. And then again, I'm sure they are trying to gun down the Lexus and Caddy.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Get a honda-benz hybrid
Attached Thumbnails 05 C230 sedan or Acura TL-honda_benz.jpg  
Old 07-24-2004, 03:25 PM

IMHO, what you lose in equipments(aka, buying a loaded C230), you gain in structure rigidity, RWD..... Seriously, Acura might be slightly more reliable than, say, MB or BMW or Audi... But there are quite a few small problems here and there..... Owners usually overlook those problems because it's already "bang for the buck", and problems are expected....

On the other hand, people who bought Mercedes/BMW/Audi expect the cars to be perfect, so they whine about how things are NOT perfect(by their own standards).... I have seen a owner of S600 asking dealer to "fix" the rear shade because it's "noisy" when going up/down.... Hm...

Every car has flaws, sadly.... Depends on what you value more.... More Oh-Ah gadgets, or well build/well designed structure...... I would take later....

P.S. In contrast to another member, my TLS would be my first AND last brand new Acura I buy......
Old 07-24-2004, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by mick1
Get a honda-benz hybrid
I thought they were already a Merc Hybrid anyway. Don't they seem to be using the same tail lights, amoung other stuff, as Merc on some of their cars.

Ed.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
With Benz, we expect the car to break down. Comes with the territory.
your pretty funny.
Old 07-25-2004, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by SergC

You can only do your best when you raise them. Sometimes ...no matter what you do...they still can disappoint you. I think a lot of it has to do with the SH&T they pick up in schools these days.

Ed.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:02 PM

2004 C230K Sport Sedan
Originally Posted by DaCeptak0n
With my taste, I oogle at a TL while I drive the E...

You had a typo in your post so I fixed it below...

"With my lack of taste, I oogle at a TL while I drive the E..."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 C230 sedan or Acura TL