C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

05 C230 sedan or Acura TL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 C230 sedan or Acura TL

Im getting a new car within the next couple of weeks and ive got it down to the TL and the c230. What do you guys think is a better car since they are equally priced.
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

quite different cars actullly

depends on what you like I guess

I don't know the performance figures for the Acura TL so I can't give u a sensible answer to your question but if they are both priced the same, I'd go with the Benz because you always get better value for your money and the re-sell value will be better than the Acura

my 2 c
Old 07-07-2004, 12:52 PM

C230K
Originally Posted by Jon200
quite different cars actullly

depends on what you like I guess

I don't know the performance figures for the Acura TL so I can't give u a sensible answer to your question but if they are both priced the same, I'd go with the Benz because you always get better value for your money and the re-sell value will be better than the Acura

my 2 c
Is that a joke? Acura/Honda is renowned for it's resell value. See here the Honda Accord (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/), while the C class has terrible resale value. I think the TL is an upscale accord, but correct me if I'm wrong. The TL also may be faster, but you can't powerslide on as it's FWD
Old 07-07-2004, 01:25 PM
jsr

N/A
Originally Posted by dead_eye
Is that a joke? Acura/Honda is renowned for it's resell value. See here the Honda Accord (http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/), while the C class has terrible resale value. I think the TL is an upscale accord, but correct me if I'm wrong. The TL also may be faster, but you can't powerslide on as it's FWD
OK, so there are two Mercedes and two Hondas on that list. What is your point?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
go for the 2005 C230 Sedan all the way! dont like the TL exterior look.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:29 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Originally Posted by dead_eye
The TSX is actually the upscale Accord, the TL is in another category.

I personally love the white TL with black leather and aluminum trim.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:36 PM
BZB

Buy the TL for it's engine, the C230's engine sounds like a Kia.
Buy the C230 for it's look and solid build quality, the TL looks and feels extremely boring.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
a kia really?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:42 PM

2004 Audi A4 3.0 Ultra Sport
Originally Posted by GLisella
The TSX is actually the upscale Accord, the TL is in another category.

I personally love the white TL with black leather and aluminum trim.
I believe the TL is built off the Accord platform that is sold outside of the US (it's larger than Accord sold in US).

Too much reminds me of lets say the Lexus ES300/330 which is a Camry with different interior and badging. You put the two cars next to each other and remove the badging it's really hard to tell the difference. Acura goes to a further extent to differentiate the Acura product from Honda, but not far enough in my opinion.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 PM
Banned

Bantha
If you want speed, perfomance and reliability get the TL. If you want a 3-point star on the hood get the 230. FWD vs RWD big deal, you'll beat BMW 330's all day with that TL let alone a 230k.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:46 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Originally Posted by HiTEC
I believe the TL is built off the Accord platform that is sold outside of the US (it's larger than Accord sold in US).
That might be true, however I do own a TSX, and I can confirm that it is the European Accord, and here in the US, the TL gets bumped to a higher category since the TSX can compete with the Accord.

(Does that make sense?)
Old 07-07-2004, 01:50 PM
BZB

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
a kia really?
Could even be Daewoo or Hyundai. No, it's more like a diesel truck.

Seriously, the weakest link in the C230 is the engine, at least the way it sounds. But I do think the engine drives good for cars in that category. But if you are comparing it to the TL's engine, there is no comparison, the TL's is better.

So if the original poster is expecting a smooth, powerful, torque engine, he would be very disappointed with the C230.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Banned

Bantha
Originally Posted by BZB
Could even be Daewoo or Hyundai. No, it's more like a diesel truck.

Seriously, the weakest link in the C230 is the engine, at least the way it sounds. But I do think the engine drives good for cars in that category. But if you are comparing it to the TL's engine, there is no comparison, the TL's is better.

So if the original poster is expecting a smooth, powerful, torque engine, he would be very disappointed with the C230.
If you want a powerful exhaust note, listen to an F-Body (ie. 86-93) Mustang with a straight H-pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster AT mufflers. Not even a E55 would come close.....as far as sound that is!
Old 07-07-2004, 02:07 PM
BZB

Originally Posted by tuscanraider
If you want a powerful exhaust note, listen to an F-Body (ie. 86-93) Mustang with a straight H-pipe and 2 chamber Flowmaster AT mufflers. Not even a E55 would come close.....as far as sound that is!
In no where did I mention "exhaust note".
But I do like how American muscle cars sound.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:28 PM

05 CLK 320
I would definitely recommend a C230. C230 performs very well, both cars have about the same top speed. Also if you load your C230 well you have more options than TL.(Electronic Steering Column, Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto headlights, TeleAid, full auto for all windows, excellent trip computer, electronic rear sunshade,. .... ) Only thing that TL does better is the Bluetooth and standard XM radio. The Logic 7 in C classes rapes the TL sound system. Quality matters not the feature set. Also the sound quality on the Logic 7 is quite comparable to an Onkyo receiver with Paradigm speakers. Go with the C230.

Also the Mercedes has been designed very well, for example with wipers are excellent on the long run. If the truck accidentally opens when you are driving, your rear visibility is not reduced drastically when compared to other cars. Also the Hazard lights and turn lights have a priority to them. The only other company that does this is BMW. The steering wheel has an excellent feel. Also the care stops on a dime. There is no way you can lock your key in the car except the trunk. Also if some one breaks into the car they cannot open the trunk with the trunk lid button. Also when you accidentally over fill gas the extra fuel goes through a small drain on the inside rather than spilling onto the body. The valet key is a nice concept, no need to carry two keys any more. Also with the touch of a button you can bring down the rear head rests if they are blocking your view. Also the sunroof is designed well with a vent. The car's defrosters are really good. Also you get 8 standard airbags, don’t know how many you get with a TL. If any of the exterior lights in your car fail you will get an indication with a message saying which one failed. Also the seat controls are in a good position so you are not blindly finding the right button to press.

I notice very small things in a car and in my opinion only Mercedes and BMW take care of these things. Of course Mercedes is better than a BMW.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:32 PM

Your rather long commentary about the virtues of the C230 compared to the TL makes one glaring omission. That 270hp VTEC engine. If you want a kick a$$ car that's fun to drive with enough power (0-60 = 5.8s according to Car & Driver) to dust a BMW 330i by a nose, the TL is hard to beat for its price point.

However, as you say so eloquently, if care more about electronic steering columns, rain sensing wipers, auto headlings, rear sunshade, or if your trunk accidently opens while driving (!??), then get the C230. Oh, and of course the MB brand is much better then the Acura brand, and for many, that's the real reason to get the MB.

Originally Posted by cracker123
I would definitely recommend a C230. C230 performs very well, both cars have about the same top speed. Also if you load your C230 well you have more options than TL.(Electronic Steering Column, Rain Sensing Wipers, Auto headlights, TeleAid, full auto for all windows, excellent trip computer, electronic rear sunshade,. .... ) Only thing that TL does better is the Bluetooth and standard XM radio. The Logic 7 in C classes rapes the TL sound system. Quality matters not the feature set. Also the sound quality on the Logic 7 is quite comparable to an Onkyo receiver with Paradigm speakers. Go with the C230.

Also the Mercedes has been designed very well, for example with wipers are excellent on the long run. If the truck accidentally opens when you are driving, your rear visibility is not reduced drastically when compared to other cars. Also the Hazard lights and turn lights have a priority to them. The only other company that does this is BMW. The steering wheel has an excellent feel. Also the care stops on a dime. There is no way you can lock your key in the car except the trunk. Also if some one breaks into the car they cannot open the trunk with the trunk lid button. Also when you accidentally over fill gas the extra fuel goes through a small drain on the inside rather than spilling onto the body. The valet key is a nice concept, no need to carry two keys any more. Also with the touch of a button you can bring down the rear head rests if they are blocking your view. Also the sunroof is designed well with a vent. The car's defrosters are really good. Also you get 8 standard airbags, don’t know how many you get with a TL. If any of the exterior lights in your car fail you will get an indication with a message saying which one failed. Also the seat controls are in a good position so you are not blindly finding the right button to press.

I notice very small things in a car and in my opinion only Mercedes and BMW take care of these things. Of course Mercedes is better than a BMW.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:46 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I'd take the C230k even though the new TL has a lot of power and all that goodies. IMO the TL is over priced and I much prefer the Euro Accord/TSX over the TL.

obviously if you're comparing the C230k to TL, then you probably don't really care about features to features because the TL will win that catagory hands down.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
My sister was faced with the same decision (also add to that the G35) and she went with the 05 C240.

She like the handling better and also the look and feel. Oh and that three point star on the hood somehow hypnotized her during the test drive.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:44 PM

2004 C320
Feature for feature I think the Acura has the MB beat. But when you get an MB, you get an MB, for reasons unknown to many, its a far superior vehicle.

The Acura TL has the 270 HP motor, and that super fancy REAL surround sound audio system, which has won rave reviews.
Old 07-07-2004, 04:48 PM

2004 C320
Originally Posted by tuscanraider
Hehehe did you know, the 0-60 and Q-mile times for the mustang were recorded with a single dweeby driver wearing plaid, and the times for the E55 were recorded with a single driver, and 4 hot chicks in the backseat and front passenger seat?

Personally I'd take wimpier exhaust sound and bunch of hot chicks compared to loud exhaust and plaid.

Seriously tho, if I wanted just a nice sounding exhaust I'd get a diesel truck.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Had a similar choice

I was actually all set on the TL after seing the specs, sitting in it, and testing the stereo. All set until I drove it. If you like a Germanic feel behind the wheel -- solid secure feeling, weighty steering, RWD -- the TL just doesn't measure up. Acuras suffer from the same thing Hondas do, which is a "tinny" feeling. Everything feels too light. Doors feel hollow, steering is way too light, you can hear rain splattering through the rear wells in wet weather. There is also way too much HP for FWD in that car. You will get tons of torque steer if you get the 5 speed, and the steering feels like an 85 lincoln town car -- zero feel.
On the plus side, IMO the TL interior is beautiful. The stereo kicks the crap out of anything MB offers in the C, and the engine is wonderful. The TL will blow the doors off a C230, which in todays market, (objectively) is an underpowered vehicle in this price range . You also get all features standard with the TL except the Nav, and more interior room.
In the end, I stepped up the C320 to get the extra engine punch. Couldn't deal with FWD and that horrible steering. One other factor is MB has higher quality paint and leather. Lots of TL owners are *****ing about leather that wears too quickly and paint that flattens and chips easily.
Another thing to consider is the host of problems the TL has experienced in the first year. Deck lid rattles, defective tires, collapsing ceiling fabric, etc. Don't expect to spare yourself the reliability headaches experienced by many on this board if you go TL.
MB also has the 3 pointed star if that means something to you (cache' aside, it will mean something when you go in for service, and get treated like royalty at the MB dealer)
Good luck -- both are great cars.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:16 PM

05 CLK 320
Originally Posted by goldenbuddha
Feature for feature I think the Acura has the MB beat. But when you get an MB, you get an MB, for reasons unknown to many, its a far superior vehicle.

The Acura TL has the 270 HP motor, and that super fancy REAL surround sound audio system, which has won rave reviews.
That is only if you have a DVD audio stuff, and guess what not all the DVD audio stuff will play on the TL , none of my Beethoven symphonies play on the Acura. Also as I said having a 5.1 does not matter but having a better sound quality is more important IMO. In my opinion Bose is a the Honda's of sound systems. So basically Acura sound system is worse than Bose in terms of sound reproduction. Also don’t be deceived by dealers demo disc's since they really fine tune the discs based on the acostics of the car to give the best sound to the customer. To get a honest opinion take your own CD, put your own settings and then listen you understand the differences. I consider HK,Onkyo, Marentz and maybe Niro's to be excellent sound systems for the price. No offence to any one.

Last edited by cracker123; 07-07-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:50 PM

05 CLK 320
Originally Posted by MBToGoNow
Your rather long commentary about the virtues of the C230 compared to the TL makes one glaring omission. That 270hp VTEC engine. If you want a kick a$$ car that's fun to drive with enough power (0-60 = 5.8s according to Car & Driver) to dust a BMW 330i by a nose, the TL is hard to beat for its price point.

However, as you say so eloquently, if care more about electronic steering columns, rain sensing wipers, auto headlings, rear sunshade, or if your trunk accidently opens while driving (!??), then get the C230. Oh, and of course the MB brand is much better then the Acura brand, and for many, that's the real reason to get the MB.
Well I am not into the whole engine power. So 270 or 1070Hp will make no difference to me. If I really wanted the power I would have got a C32 or a C55, but power is not my main concern. Luxury, Ride quality, Handeling, Quiteness, Sound System, Asthetics and most importantly the brand . A C230 seemed to fit the profile perfctly, I did not want a C320 sport becuase with the options I wanted the car was touching $44,000 (CD-Changer,Lighting,Sunroof,Metallic Paint,Teleaid & Automatic) . So by putting down another 4-5K I could get the 525 (Sport, Premium, Sound, Light & SMG) but then again I think I am not old enough to drive a 5 series. C240's exterior was not that good so it was not even in the picture.

C230 fit all my requirements quite well hence I picked it. So I guess you need to get what fits your needs. We can discuss this topic of which is better TL or C230 but in the end it is what you want from your car that matters.

For a second car that I drive on the weekends I would not mind getting a Lotus Elise, the dealer in Austin is giving me a 1 year delay becuase he is overbooked. I heard the Elise handels like a dream.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:15 PM

2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
Only one reason to consider...

You will get more chicks with a Mercedes!

Old 07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally Posted by r_liebo
MB also has the 3 pointed star if that means something to you (cache' aside, it will mean something when you go in for service, and get treated like royalty at the MB dealer).
I get better treatment from the Acura dealer when I take in my fourteen year old Integra.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 C230 sedan or Acura TL