C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Year one for my Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 09:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year one for my Coupe

Hey all -

My coupe is celebrating its first year birthday. It just had its shots (service A) and had a cold last week which required a new computer. So, here is my opinions after driving the coupe for a year..

Love the fit and finish. I am a Jap car guy - started working on them in 1975 with Datsun Roadsters (and still have a '66). So, I am used to the Japanese way of doing things. I must say, the MB is a better engineered product. They don't cut as many corners like all other manufactures.

The 6 speed is a good trans. Yes, first gear is way to low. In my racing days - sports car building days we would never except a first gear under a 4.00 gear ratio. This thing is something like 4.34 ? wow... Actually a higher gear rear end would make it nicer and make 5th gear more useful.

Yep, had a miss at 2000 RPM and it took the dealer two tries to find it and replace the computer. They got about 80% of the miss, but is still there. I think they are close to finding the real problem and the new computer just deals with it better.

The tires are wearing fast - 10,000 miles and about half done. I wish I could talk my wife into letting me get 18's for the car.

Need larger sway bars. The price for bars is nuts.... For the price of two sets of bars, I could have a manufacture build 10 sets. But, I don't want to go through all the hassle. Still looking..... May save up for a complete AMG suspension/brake set up.

That is the nitty-gritty. Now the gut feeling.

I really like this car. I buy way too many new cars which cost me a lot of money. This car is a keeper. After a year I still miss driving it when I am on travel. I look forward to the drive to work in the morning.
The pano top is great - I rarely run the AC. I am a top down person (cars and women ) and this is the best compromise I have found.
The room is wonderful. We are amazed what we can get in this car.
I get great complements on the car at least once a week. Never a negative remark. I bought Silver because it is not "loud" and the classic MB color (along with black), but I get a lot of looks.

Overall I am happy with this car which is not an easy task. If anyone is debating over buying a MB - you will not be dissapointed.

See you on the road---
Old 07-15-2004, 09:48 AM

C320 Coupe
isn't the c320 coupe a great car? i love waking up and smiling everytime i open my car door and start 'er up. or, those moments where you overtake someone and you floor the pedal, feeling the "kick-down" and hearing the smooth, loud growl of the german v-6, pushing you back into the soft leather as the car rockets by the slower driver. i think i'll own a MB for the rest of my life, maybe try out a few other cars to see how they compare. this was definitely a great intro. into the MB line though.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

happy Bday to your coupe
Old 07-15-2004, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Happy Birthday to your Coupe !!!

My C320 Coupe's birthday is coming up in September. I've got a big party planned !
Only Coupes are invited ! See my wish list below, if you want to bring a present !

I love my C320 Coupe. We've had older Mercedes in the family in the past, but this one by far has been the most FUN to drive !! Like you, I can't wait to jump into it every morning ! I find myself just staring at it every time I come home and park in the garage ! Call me crazy... but this one is a keeper !! Just had Service A done last week and haven't had a single problem ! Honk, if I pass you with my C320 Coupe V6
Old 07-15-2004, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Happy B-day! mines having her 2nd b-day Dec. 17 i hope to have parktronic installed by then for a 2nd b-day present!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:26 PM

C320 Coupe
december 17th - that must've been a great christmas for you when you got your car citron.

my baby's bday was march 25th.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
I wish I could talk my wife into letting me get 18's for the car.

Married life is fun If you talk her into it, it becomes ammunition for the future.

Happy bday :p
Old 07-16-2004, 09:18 AM
Almost a Member!

Thanks for the B'day greetings. I will tell my Coupe tonight (drove the Roadster in today).

Drew - sooo funny - my wife and I had this discussion this morning. "how much money I had for toys before I got married" and she said "Ha, then you married me and I took care of that" My wife always says that she will not divorse me - why settle for half when she has it all now....

I see some of you have the C320 with auto. I really like shifting so I ordered the 6 speed, but when they were replacing my computer they gave me a C320 wagon for a loner. I must say - I really liked the auto in that car. It shifted very nice (a bit of a lag from 1st to 2nd). I even liked the wagon.. As the hair gets grayer and kids get old and need more room I may look into a dark blue/gray wagon with AMG suspension/wheels/brakes.

Before I bought my Coupe I read this forum for about 2 months to learn the "truth" about it. Some did not like the rear view - some did not like the fact MB had an "intro" car. I must say there is not one thing I really don't like about it. And like prodigy said it also got me into loving the MB. I have friends with all kinds of very expensive cars and they really don't have the quality of my Coupe. Geez for 30K I got a MB with all the good stuff that most pay much more for. Comments like "I bet that cost 60 grand", "that is not a car - it is a work of art", "damn brother, nice ride", "is that the new 500 HP super car Mercedes?", don't hurt ..

Keep love'n the coupes and Happy Birthday to yours