C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

c240 or Jaguar X-type

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
So, 100 pounds is "way heavier" ???

Okay....
Old 07-16-2004, 03:11 PM

C320 Coupe
the c230 weighs 3250 or 3280 (manual or auto), and the c240 is at 3360. mind you the *exact* numbers for the x-type are 3461/3554 for the 2.5 and 3549/3640 for the 3.0.

the c230 is 200-300lbs less than the x 2.5 and 300-400 lbs less than the x 3.0. that is more than 100 lbs and rather significant i'd say.

don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking your car, i'm just saying it is clear, at least to me, that between a C and X-type, the C-class is the better car.

Last edited by prodigy1387; 07-16-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:12 PM

2016 E63s AMG
It also depends on were you live I live in NYC. everything is inflated plus I am under 30 and not married. The insurence company killed me on my BMW too. 2750 a year. it stinks for me. the price we pay for the nicer things in life
Old 07-16-2004, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
Calling the X or S a Ford is 100% correct...both are completely based off of Fords engines and chasis's.

As previously stated, any X has more 'luxury' then a 240, although I hate wood, its everywhere...console, dash, shifter, wheel, doors. A 240 only gives you doors and console.

Anyway, one of the main reasons I didn't get the X to go with my S is that Jaguar Sticks are horrible, no question about it. I wasn't looking for an Auto, so the X was nearly kicked out because of that.

In either case, sport or luxury, it would be hard for me to suggest any C over an X, and I own the C, not the X.

Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
both nice cars, I've test driven both, even though I was impressed with the jag, the benz appealed to me more, even though I didn't buy either of them ; - )
Old 07-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by tifosiv122
Calling the X or S a Ford is 100% correct...both are completely based off of Fords engines and chasis's.
Erik
So whats a real Jag without any ford parts. The XK and XJ?
Old 07-16-2004, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Noble C320
So whats a real Jag without any ford parts. The XK and XJ?
Actually all (that I know of) Jags use parts developed by ford, however, those 2, the X and the S, are the only ones with power plants and chasis directly from Ford. The X is the Mondeo (sp?) and the S is the Taurus...

I'm not saying thats good or bad in anyway, just stating fact. Aston Martin uses a lot of XK parts as well...so the same could be said about it.

Realistically, only 2 manufacturers go down, not up...let me explain.

Ford produces parts for the more expensive Volvo, Jag, Aston, Land Rover, etc.
Toyota produces parts for the more expensive Lexus.
Honda "" "" Acura
Nissan "" "" Infiniti
BMW "" "" RR (or is it Bently, I forget)

All of the above companies, your paying for the name, parts (some) are made from the cheaper company.

Mercedes produces parts and some trickle down to Chrystler (Crossfire), but not the other way around. Ferrari produces parts and gives it to Maserati, not the other way around. Those are the only 2 companies that own multiple companies that dont share technology up, only down.

This, 'your whole car was made by X' is just crap, 99% of cars were made in part by other companies, who cares? Everyone complains about recent mercedes problems...who can you blame? My Jag has had everything repaired, but who cares, it has a warranty.

Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Err...forgot Maybach...which uses S class parts...so Mercedes does the same thing, you buy a $300,000 car with $100,000 car components...who cares? Is Maybach just a Mercedes?

Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
good point!
Old 07-16-2004, 04:16 PM

2004 E55 AMG
the S is the Taurus...
Can't be.

IIRC, the S-Type is RWD. The Taurus is FWD.

Looking at the current/recent ford line-up, I don't think the S-Type closely matches any of Ford's platforms - however I believe some of the interior switches etc... are from Ford.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Guest0001

Actually all (that I know of) Jags use parts developed by ford, however, those 2, the X and the S, are the only ones with power plants and chasis directly from Ford. The X is the Mondeo (sp?) and the S is the Taurus...

I'm not saying thats good or bad in anyway, just stating fact. Aston Martin uses a lot of XK parts as well...so the same could be said about it.

Realistically, only 2 manufacturers go down, not up...let me explain.

Ford produces parts for the more expensive Volvo, Jag, Aston, Land Rover, etc.
Toyota produces parts for the more expensive Lexus.
Honda "" "" Acura
Nissan "" "" Infiniti
BMW "" "" RR (or is it Bently, I forget)

All of the above companies, your paying for the name, parts (some) are made from the cheaper company.

Mercedes produces parts and some trickle down to Chrystler (Crossfire), but not the other way around. Ferrari produces parts and gives it to Maserati, not the other way around. Those are the only 2 companies that own multiple companies that dont share technology up, only down.

This, 'your whole car was made by X' is just crap, 99% of cars were made in part by other companies, who cares? Everyone complains about recent mercedes problems...who can you blame? My Jag has had everything repaired, but who cares, it has a warranty.

Erik
Erik

Thanks for the post. Personally I don't have a problem. Id buy a Jag anyday especially a V8 S-type or S type R = SEX.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:36 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally Posted by [180]
Can't be.

IIRC, the S-Type is RWD. The Taurus is FWD.

Looking at the current/recent ford line-up, I don't think the S-Type closely matches any of Ford's platforms - however I believe some of the interior switches etc... are from Ford.
Here is the deal: The X is the Ford Mondeo, or Contour as it was once sold in the US. It has AWD b/c Jag couldn't stomach a FWD car, which was the option in the US on the Contour. Now the X has upgraded everything from the COntour, but it is still the same underpinnings and size (the X looks bigger than it is -- really a small car).

The S is actually based on Lincoln's LS platform. Don't think ford has a car on this platform in the US right now. It used to have very similar undrepinnings, but now in 2005 the Cars differ greatly.

As far as reliability goes, Jags as a whole are vastly underrated these days. The S type now gets a "recommended" report from Consumer reports due to quality improvements. The XK8 and big sedan have improved as well. The X-Type, though, still has horrendous problems as a whole (think people complain here about quality -- check an X-Type forum). Even the cars they give car magazines for longterm reports fall apart.
Additionally, the big problem with Jag isn't how often they break, but what you go through when they do. It takes longer to get parts on a Jag than just about any major manufacturer.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The LS and the S (originally, not sure for 2005) were both based off of the Taurus, FWD or not, it doesn't matter. A lot of companies use the same body for FWD and RWD configs, that has nothing to do with it.

Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can't find anything right now that states they use the same chasis, but I did find this:

http://www.cvol.net/wheels/lincolnLS.htm

The LS's 210-horsepower V-6 is a freer-breathing version of the
3-liter Duratec engine used in the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable. The
3.9-liter, 252-horsepower V-8 is a slightly smaller, less expensive
and less-powerful version of the 4-liter, 281-horse engine in the Jag
S-Type.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:55 PM

I can't believe the stupidity here.

1) The V-8 in the Jaguar XK-8, XJ, S-Type and the Lincoln LS as well as the Ford Thunderbird was developed in whole by Jaguar in England for the XK-8. An entireley new engine.

2) The chassis under the Jag S-type, Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird was developed entirely by Jaguar for the S-Type and then shared with Ford. The Thunderbird and LS get slightly different control arms, springs, bushings and brakes.

3) The Countour does not exist. The Jaguar X-Type is built on a Mondeo stamped floor pan. No other parts are common. The All-wheel drive on the X-type was designed into the car from the beginning and it wasn't until later that front-wheel-drive X-Types were introduced in Europe.

4) Only the engine block in the X-type is from Ford. The heads, cams, intake and exhaust systems are all unique to Jaguar.

5) All Jaguars are built in England in Jaguar plants. No Ford vehicles are built in these plants. Jaguar gets its own paint, interior, complete body assemblies and everything save for the engine block from its own suppliers, not Ford's.

So, the arguments that Ford sends its parts UP to Jaguar and Jaguar does not send anything back are incorrect.

You guys like Mercedes, fine. I like it also. I bought one. But stop repeating stupid lies that you read on some internet message board.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I just like the Ford Emblems you can easily see on the X-Type, both under the hood and on most of the components of the car. TO compare the Maybach to anything is just funny, since the Maybach is made by Mercedes-Benz and sold at the Mercedes Benz dealerships. This does not make it a lesser vehicle. Ford Bought Jag and now uses parts in it, so what really, but it was not like there were Ford parts in there beforehand. This keeps prices down as well. Daimler-Chrysler is doing the same. Look at the Crossfire, and of course the Magnum and 300C's with Hemi's have an MB drivetrain, not engine.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:10 PM
Guest0001

Talking

Attached Thumbnails c240 or Jaguar X-type-jag.jpg  
Old 07-16-2004, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wblynch
I can't believe the stupidity here.

1) The V-8 in the Jaguar XK-8, XJ, S-Type and the Lincoln LS as well as the Ford Thunderbird was developed in whole by Jaguar in England for the XK-8. An entireley new engine.

2) The chassis under the Jag S-type, Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird was developed entirely by Jaguar for the S-Type and then shared with Ford. The Thunderbird and LS get slightly different control arms, springs, bushings and brakes.

3) The Countour does not exist. The Jaguar X-Type is built on a Mondeo stamped floor pan. No other parts are common. The All-wheel drive on the X-type was designed into the car from the beginning and it wasn't until later that front-wheel-drive X-Types were introduced in Europe.

4) Only the engine block in the X-type is from Ford. The heads, cams, intake and exhaust systems are all unique to Jaguar.

5) All Jaguars are built in England in Jaguar plants. No Ford vehicles are built in these plants. Jaguar gets its own paint, interior, complete body assemblies and everything save for the engine block from its own suppliers, not Ford's.

So, the arguments that Ford sends its parts UP to Jaguar and Jaguar does not send anything back are incorrect.

You guys like Mercedes, fine. I like it also. I bought one. But stop repeating stupid lies that you read on some internet message board.
1. I never said anything about the v8.
2. The Chassis is from the Taurus (or based off of it)
3. Agreed, thats what I said
4. Blah, semantics, say what you will, its still Ford parts in the engine
5. Wrong. Its clear that Jaguar and Lincoln share electronic buttons inside their vehicles...which come from Ford

So, they do send parts up, even if its just the block (which it isn't) so get over it. I own a Jag, and could care less.

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...9/article.html

We spent over an hour carefully analyzing the two cars' interior bits and came up with more than a dozen items that are identical on both models. These include the climate control and audio buttons, the headlight switch, the trunk and fuel release buttons, the sunroof controls, the emergency brake handle, the seatbelts and the radio/temperature displays.
Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand the argument, clearly Ford and Chrysler consistantly make more reliable cars than MB, why wouldn't you want those parts in your MB or Jag? Jag's reputation was pretty bad in the 80's and early 90's until Ford injected their parts. I just hope Chrysler can do the same for MB.

Kid, go for the Jag, at least they give you free maintenance and they are less common than Benzes and Bimmers. With the latest price drops they are now good bargains.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:42 PM

This will be my last post on the subject.

The Jaguar S-Type and Lincoln LS are NOT based on a Taurus platform. That is plain stupid. There is no way to take a front wheel drive, transversely mounted-engine, platform and place a longitudinally mounted, rear wheel drive system into it.

That platform wouldn't even fit under the S-Type.

Comparing the switches on the 2000 S-Type/2000 LS to the 2002+ X-Type and especially the new S-Type which has been redone twice since 2000, is an exercise in idiocy.

The X-Type does not share any switches, dash, entertainment or climate controls with any Ford.

You want repeat bad information then tell other people to "Get Over It"?
Old 07-16-2004, 05:55 PM

C320 Coupe
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
I don't understand the argument, clearly Ford and Chrysler consistantly make more reliable cars than MB, why wouldn't you want those parts in your MB or Jag? Jag's reputation was pretty bad in the 80's and early 90's until Ford injected their parts. I just hope Chrysler can do the same for MB.

Kid, go for the Jag, at least they give you free maintenance and they are less common than Benzes and Bimmers. With the latest price drops they are now good bargains.
fyi, MB bought chrysler, not the other way around. so parts are going from MB to chrysler, not the reverse - hence why chrysler, who had horrible quality ratings, is much improved.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Absolutley, there's just no way the Jag S uses a Taurus chassis, it's was a shared platform designed by Jag that Ford uses in one form or another in the Lincoln LS and Ford T-Bird/05 Mustang. Regardless, the Jag chassis's are not imported from the U.S., they are made in Jaguar factories by old crusty limies that all look like John Cleese.

Also to say that a Jag is a Ford because they own them means that you can also call Volvo and Aston Martin Fords. Then a Dodge Neon is a Mercedes because Mercedes owns them. Now if only I can get a Hemi in my C....
Old 07-16-2004, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wblynch
This will be my last post on the subject.

The Jaguar S-Type and Lincoln LS are NOT based on a Taurus platform. That is plain stupid. There is no way to take a front wheel drive, transversely mounted-engine, platform and place a longitudinally mounted, rear wheel drive system into it.

That platform wouldn't even fit under the S-Type.

Comparing the switches on the 2000 S-Type/2000 LS to the 2002+ X-Type and especially the new S-Type which has been redone twice since 2000, is an exercise in idiocy.

The X-Type does not share any switches, dash, entertainment or climate controls with any Ford.

You want repeat bad information then tell other people to "Get Over It"?
So, its a lie that the v6 is straight from the Taurus? It isn't, they are the same engine. Anyway, just because they car went through 2 revisions doesn't mean it wasn't originally from Ford parts...I never compared the switches on the new one to the old ones in any way...so they re-did the switches, wow, still ford made.

BTW, the same Nissan V6 is used as a FWD and RWD (and now 4wd).

I showed (using sources) that the engine from the Taurus is the same as in the S and LS, then (again with sources) show exactly how the interior and other parts were direct from Lincoln (ford) to be used in the Jag. I don't care if it was 5 years ago or today, it was still done. I don't know exactly how many parts it shares today, but if you think it's 0, your the stupid one.

However, I agree with your post, this will be my last one as well...unless you provide a source that says Jag uses no Ford parts.

Erik
Old 07-16-2004, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't understand Erik, your post says the chassis is from the Taurus and now you are saying the engine is from a Taurus, which is it? Also, give an example where the same chassis is used for both FWD and RWD applications.
Old 07-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Guest0001

Allright "C240lover" what have you decided to get?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c240 or Jaguar X-type