C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C coupes are a waste of money

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C coupes are a waste of money

As a proud Mazda 6 owner, I would like to ask why you would ever buy a C-class coupe.

Do you guys think the C coupe looks good? or does it sound nice? or you buy it because it is a Mercedes? does it have good performance?

Whenever I see C coupe's I just wonder why anyone would want to buy such a car. It is the ugliest thing I see on the road. Also, it sounds like a Civic. My parents drive an E class and the E class is actually nice. It has prestige of Mercedes, the luxury, and quality. The C coupe probably has the same type of material as my car on the inside, and my car is a six cylinder, for less money.

So my question is this...

Why buy a C coupe for 25K, when there are many other nicer cars ( i.e. Mazda's, VW's, Honda's) for less money?

I hope you didn't buy it for the prestige because most people don't really consider the C coupes as "Mercedes."
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 AM
Almost a Member!

let the flaming proceed
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Mazda 6s
It is the ugliest thing I see on the road.
...never been outside the US I presume...where people drive Fiat Multipla's as ugliest thing to be seen on the road...

greetingz,
Old 07-30-2004, 05:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why buy a C coupe for 25K, when there are many other nicer cars ( i.e. Mazda's, VW's, Honda's) for less money?
you back to school yet kidda?
Old 07-30-2004, 05:41 AM

ARRR
I don't have a C coupe... But the choice of vehicle is a personal preference... I wonder why some people ever bought the Pontiac Aztek... PT Cruiser? Focus?! Astro Van... Just to name a couple "ugly" cars in my opinion. Sure the Mazda 6's got more power, more room, "prettier" and to you, it's more for less money. but to some other people, it may not be the case. Some people might like the C Coupe because of the resale value? Build quality? Technology? Engineering? Maybe they prefer German cars over others? C Coupe might be ugly to you but for these proud C Coupe owners, they are very pretty. I think the Mazda 6 looks nice, but others might not.
For the people who don't consider C Coupe a "Mercedes", what about the A class? V class? Smart? Since you have one post and is just registered, I doubt you'll even read this anyway... But what goes around comes around. Hey, why didn't you buy a Hyundai? It's even more car than your Mazda 6 for even a lot less money? It's got V6, wood and leather interior, quiet comfortable ride, 10 year/100,000 mile warranty... what do you have? You should be happy with your Mazda 6 and stay out of trouble... what's the point of this thread anyway? What exactly was your motive?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what's the point of this thread anyway? What exactly was your motive?
could be ANOTHER troll
Old 07-30-2004, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

For some, Schlitz is a fine beer to drink, why spend the extra for Bitburger?
For some, Ripple goes down smooth, why buy a better wine?
For some, the Wilson golf clubs from KMart hit OK, why buy Ping?
Etc., Etc., Etc.

It comes down to what are your preferences, and how discriminating are you?

If you are open-minded, there is certainly a difference between a Mazda and an MB. Whether this difference is worth the extra money depends on how you see a car. If a car is simply an appliance, to get you from point A to point B, then most likely an MB is 'overpriced' for your needs. If you view driving as a pleasure rather than as a chore; if you value safety over price; if you want long-term durability rather than trade the car every couple of years; then these are all reasons to go with a Benz over a Mazda.

Starting a thread like this, wording it as you did, simply shows your immaturity. At this age, you know everything, and people who don't think like you are idiots.

Wait a couple of years. After reaching the age of about 25, you'll notice that the rest of the people in the world (especially your parents) seem to get a lot smarter as you grow older.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:30 AM

I guess what I wanted to ask is,

when people with C coupes were car shopping, what were the factors in the decision of buying the car?

performance? looks? value? prestige?

IMO, if I wanted performance, I would go for a Mazda 6/Nizzan Altima;
if I wanted value, I would go for Japanese cars since they offer more for your money;
if I wanted resale value, I would go for a Japanese Car...

what I'm trying to say is what is the reason, other than the fact that you may just like the car, you bought your C coupe?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450

when people with C coupes were car shopping, what were the factors in the decision of buying the car?

if I wanted value, I would go for Japanese cars since they offer more for your money;

what I'm trying to say is what is the reason, other than the fact that you may just like the car, you bought your C coupe?
It's like children . . . unless you've got one, you won't understand.

The feeling of safety and security, especially when driving in bad weather, is unmatched by any car. A C-coupe is more solid, more comfortable, better riding, and better handling, than Mazda 6/Altima/Civic/Accord/Integra.

Add in airbags, ABS, ESP, BAS, best chassis rigidity in the industry, and you get a car that (in the opinion of its owners) is worth the money.

You can't really appreciate the difference between the cars from the outside, and the true nature of the car will not become apparent on a 30minute test drive. When you buy a Benz, you find yourself liking the car more each time you drive it.

But again, it takes a person who appreciates a fine car to feel the differences. That's why Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Mazda (after the bailout), MB, BMW, Porsche, etc. are ALL successful car companies - because different people want different things from a car.

By the way, performance is more than simply numbers on the paper. Take a look at the old Dodge Omni GLH - best 0-60 time, best skidpad numbers in its class, best braking (one time) 60-0; but take it to a twisty road and a Bimmer will eat its lunch. Why? Because performance isn't just a measure of three individual statistics. It is how the car reacts in real life - the feedback of the wheel, the ability of the brakes to resist fade (a bona fide weak point of any typical Japanese car), the ability to track an arc over broken/bumpy pavement, etc. This is where MB/BMW have it all over the rice burners.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
I bought mine because I actually like the look! I think it has one sexy fat *** as well!!!! The main reason was comfort and most bang for the buck in my mind. I got leather, big *** moonroof, 6 speed, 17 inch wheels, Bi-Xenons, Bose, basically everything but the phone and command! I have a phone and can buy a map damnit!!!! The ride is excellant, the interior is excellant, the passing power on the highway, the take-off are all great as well! I feel good when I get out of it after a long car trip as well, my back no longer is killing me after 5-6 hours in the car, even in the back seat! And it was a great deal for my first Benz of hopefully many more! All depends on how they look and what the options are still! It is all opinion I guess. I like the Mazda 6 as well, but for me I would never buy one! I have had and driven a lot of diferent cars and this little baby benz is the best as far as all around quality and enjoyment. I smile each and everytime I get out of it! So much so I had to have another Benz since my wife drives the C so much. Even my 18 year old 190E feels great and is comfortable.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

Being a Japanese car freak way before they were popular, I can say I was going to buy a G35 coupe. But, like these guys said the quality/fit-finish/materials/solid construction of the MB is by far better then Japanese.

Dmatre pegged it. A solild rear drive will flat out run a ricer all day long in "real" driving. I sold my Mazda Protege 5 to buy the C320 coupe. The P5 numbers are better on paper for handling, but I have killed the P5 speeds around corners in the MB. Heck - my 66 Datsun Roadster (with 70 series tires, solid rear axle, and 100 HP) is faster in the corners then a P5 with all the impressive car mag writeups about how great it handles.

The Mazda 6 is a nice design, but the design is being over used by Mazda and already getting old to look at. Not "classic" like the MB.

After driving my MB for a year - I don't see every going back for a daily driver. The thing just feels soo good go get into in the morning.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
JeT

Whenever I see C coupe's I just wonder why anyone would want to buy such a car. It is the ugliest thing I see on the road. Also, it sounds like a Civic. My parents drive an E class and the E class is actually nice. It has prestige of Mercedes, the luxury, and quality. The C coupe probably has the same type of material as my car on the inside, and my car is a six cylinder, for less money....

[later post] what I'm trying to say is what is the reason, other than the fact that you may just like the car, you bought your C coupe?
Do you really want to know the reason or are you just here to antagonize? If the former, then you will probably never understand the answer because as someone as already said, this is totally personal preference. You will get reasoned responses but at the end of the day you think the Mazda 6 interior is better, we think the MB interior is better.

If the latter, we've had other car members come on here and try this before...actually it happens on every other forum...BMW, Audi etc. so you are not likely to ruffle anyone's feathers so easily here.

A true car enthusiast appreciates the relative capabilites of all cars and does not feel a need to bag anyone else's rides. I love beemers and audis - there is no question these cars perform better...but the MB suited my needs at the particular time.

Last edited by JeT; 07-30-2004 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

'01 E320 4Matic in White/Charcoal...
Do you consider the C sedan to be "a Mercedes"? Most people with more than two connected neurons to rub together will at least admit that "OK, the sedan is a real Mercedes". Well, you know what the difference between a sedan and a coupe is? Only the styling! Yah, that's right...they have the same chassis (wheelbase, track, drive line, suspension, brakes, etc.) and even weigh within a few pounds of each other. The coupe is a hatchback (and you either like the syling or not, but it is at least way handy!) and is priced a bit more reasonably than the sedan (that should appeal to all you K-Mart "blue light" rice car shoppers). In fact, it's really the ONLY really resonably priced Mercedes. Personally, I wouldn't be SEEN in an Asian car even if they flew!
Old 07-30-2004, 09:32 AM

C320 Coupe

I have a c320 coupe. I have been in a Mazda 6 before (friend has one). The main things I was looking for when I was car shopping were: good performance, good quality, good styling, safety, and preferably something German. The V6 in my car has good power, at least IMO (215hp, 221 torque 0-60 in 6.9 sec) and it sounds great. I don't think the Mazda engine is superior to mine in any way. I liked the exterior and interior of the coupe, I don't think it's ugly by any standard, yet again IMO. I have gotten several compliments on my car like, "Wow, nice car?" and "Wow, did you have to work for like 30 years to pay for that?" and thumbs up from other drivers. The only Mazda exterior I like is the RX-8, and interior wise, the Mazda 6 was much cheaper IMO - Mercedes offers real leather, a multifunction display, multifunction steering wheel, and better materials; it's just more refined and not so ricey looking to me. Also, the C-coupe has many available options I don't think you'll find on the Mazda 6, especially the Panorama sunroof - that thing is amazing. Mercedes is known for safety, and the C-coupe is no exception - 8 airbags (front driver/passenger, side driver/passenger, rear sides, side head curtains), high safety rating, ESP, Brake Assist, and other attractive features. I'd feel much more comfortable/safe being hit in my car by a Mazda versus being hit in a Mazda by a C-coupe. Although I considered Japanese cars too, I have always been a German car buff, so I preferred something German. To me, German engineering is unmatched. And by no means is the C-coupe "not a Mercedes." Just because it doesn't cost $70,000, doesn't mean that it's a reject of the Mercedes family, that's absurd. Is the 3 series not a BMW? or the A4 not an Audi?

Everyone has their personal preferences and sees things in a different light. You have every right to think your Mazda 6 is better, but I beg to differ. I am just wondering why you care about the mindset of C-coupe drivers?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 AM
JeT

Originally Posted by prodigy1387
And by no means is the C-coupe "not a Mercedes." Just because it doesn't cost $70,000, doesn't mean that it's a reject of the Mercedes family, that's absurd. Is the 3 series not a BMW? or the A4 not an Audi?
In some other countries the coupe is around $70,000!!! In other countries there are also the A-class and the Smart Car (if that counts) below the C Coupe.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by prodigy1387
And by no means is the C-coupe "not a Mercedes." Just because it doesn't cost $70,000, doesn't mean that it's a reject of the Mercedes family, that's absurd. Is the 3 series not a BMW? or the A4 not an Audi?
Based on his reasoning, the 3 sedans and A4 sedans are the real deal, while the 3 coupes and A4 carbios are not.......
Old 07-30-2004, 10:42 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
Mazda's are cheap, especially the 6, lemme tell you something, I don't own a coupe but if your cheap plastic car ever crashes into a coupe you're gonna be dead, your passengers are gonna be dead, and everyone in the coupe will walk out thinking they just completly destroyed a 3
Old 07-30-2004, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
The Mazda's are basically Ford's with plastic body kit. Aren't they?
Old 07-30-2004, 10:59 AM

2001 C240 Tectite
And nobody will ever notice your 6 on the road, you won't attract look or envy, it's just a cheap japanese car like all other japanese cars
Your 6 is crap, looks like crap, feels like crap.

Why did you go for a 6, you should have bought a 3? it's almost the same size and it's cheaper, yeah man I'm telling you it's so much better dood like you can go up to 60 miles per hour and your steering wheel doesn't even shake like your old protege, dood, good thing you didn't buy the Benz! Man for less money you got a ****mobile fully equipped with a 10 inch sunrood and super deluxe cloth interior and that 4 speed manuel it's just great man!!

You need to get a life, why did you come here to talk about your crappy car, are you jealous? Ur car will ride like **** after 20,000 miles, it will start to rust in 4 years and you're gonna need to rice it up with super kewl 100$ cardboard lip kit so you can still look liek u the **** in your super "cool" **** car
Old 07-30-2004, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL500
Originally Posted by Narcissus
And nobody will ever notice your 6 on the road, you won't attract look or envy, it's just a cheap japanese car like all other japanese cars
Your 6 is crap, looks like crap, feels like crap.

Why did you go for a 6, you should have bought a 3? it's almost the same size and it's cheaper, yeah man I'm telling you it's so much better dood like you can go up to 60 miles per hour and your steering wheel doesn't even shake like your old protege, dood, good thing you didn't buy the Benz! Man for less money you got a ****mobile fully equipped with a 10 inch sunrood and super deluxe cloth interior and that 4 speed manuel it's just great man!!

You need to get a life, why did you come here to talk about your crappy car, are you jealous? Ur car will ride like **** after 20,000 miles, it will start to rust in 4 years and you're gonna need to rice it up with super kewl 100$ cardboard lip kit so you can still look liek u the **** in your super "cool" **** car

hahaha, thats the funniest thing i read all day. you made some very good points.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To some people, all rice tastes the same, looks the same, feels the same. For me, without looking at the badging I can't tell the difference between mid size Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki, Acura, Lexus, it's all one big blahh. Then you drive these and the blah just extends to the entire experience. Doesn't mean these cars are not good, they're just made to be good reliable transportation, a means to get from point A to B, nothing more. It's truly hard to explain to someone that was brought up with that culture and never truly experienced a better driving experience.

So if you think owning rice is a better value than a C-Coupe, then by all means, enjoy your Mazda. But with someone of your extreme perception may have skipped a better value yet in the Suzuki Forenza, after all, who would get a Mazda 6 when the Forenza is a much better value.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' BMW M3 E90
That's funny because i just raced a guy in a mazda 6 the other day and let's just say he GOT Smoked by my Ugly,Slow,Unsafe C.

TROLL....
Old 07-30-2004, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT

I hope you didn't buy it for the prestige because most people don't really consider the C coupes as "Mercedes."
i owned a VW service sucked and so did the car.

and i guess when i walked out of the dealership after paying nearly $37k for my coupe, i know i could have found as many features on another car for less money, but i like the way it looks and drives, and the service rocks.

mazda 6's looks like every other japanese car on the road, freaking boring.

so on that note, why dont you go zoom zoom somewhere else?

Last edited by CitronC230K_03; 07-30-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
Why are you guys even responding?
Old 07-30-2004, 12:34 PM

C230 Kompressor Sports Sedan
he owns a mazda...and he doesn't own a Miata or RX-8...

it was a waste of time to read his thoughts...dang

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C coupes are a waste of money