C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203 ABS Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Various
W203 ABS Light

Got a late model W203 with an ABS light that illuminates after setting off. I've had my STAR on it and there's a code for the right hand side front ABS sensor but on checking live data there's no speed reading whatsoever from the front left side and the front right hand side is intermittent.

I've changed the ABS sensor on then left hand side hoping for a simple fix but no change. I've then checked the continuity of the wiring from the sensor to the ABS/ESP unit and all OK. I then changed the ABS ring and still no improvement.

I'm running out of ideas except to think there's a module issue, but it appears to be failing in a strange way (i.e. not reading the ABS/Speed sensors). Has anyone come across one failing this way before? There's no codes on star for anything except the front right hand side ABS sensor and a cruise control issue which I think is related to the first code.

I'm wondering if the ABS module has partially failed causing the lack of reading of the left hand sensor? The error code reading of the right hand side sensor is a strange one also. I'm not that great using a multimeter so was just wondering if anyone had tested their ABS speed sensors with a multimeter and how? Also are the sensors on the W203 active or passive?
Old 06-08-2020, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by scrappy_doo
Got a late model W203 with an ABS light that illuminates after setting off. I've had my STAR on it and there's a code for the right hand side front ABS sensor but on checking live data there's no speed reading whatsoever from the front left side and the front right hand side is intermittent.

I've changed the ABS sensor on then left hand side hoping for a simple fix but no change. I've then checked the continuity of the wiring from the sensor to the ABS/ESP unit and all OK. I then changed the ABS ring and still no improvement.

I'm running out of ideas except to think there's a module issue, but it appears to be failing in a strange way (i.e. not reading the ABS/Speed sensors). Has anyone come across one failing this way before? There's no codes on star for anything except the front right hand side ABS sensor and a cruise control issue which I think is related to the first code.

I'm wondering if the ABS module has partially failed causing the lack of reading of the left hand sensor? The error code reading of the right hand side sensor is a strange one also. I'm not that great using a multimeter so was just wondering if anyone had tested their ABS speed sensors with a multimeter and how? Also are the sensors on the W203 active or passive?
did you do some work around the radio or A/C system? There is a plug that gets power in the a/C controls. When it’s not seated you can get wrongful ABS and or SRS errors. Don’t ask me how I know.
The following users liked this post:
scrappy_doo (06-11-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 03:33 PM

Various
Originally Posted by SeaCoupe
did you do some work around the radio or A/C system? There is a plug that gets power in the a/C controls. When it’s not seated you can get wrongful ABS and or SRS errors. Don’t ask me how I know.
No I haven't but I purchased the car with the fault. Climate and Stereo work fine so I have no reason to think they've been tinkered with but obviously can't be sure.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:51 AM

Various
Updae on this, ended up being an ABS ring issue. After much messing after changing it was sorted!
Old 09-05-2021, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005' W203 C230 Kompressor Avantgarde
Same problem here after the car no cranck.... unfortunatelly i have no STAR to diagnose the error code.....
Old 09-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Various
Originally Posted by Jones_Santos
Same problem here after the car no cranck.... unfortunatelly i have no STAR to diagnose the error code.....
A normal diagnostics with ABS capability will be able to read it. STAR is not exclusive for reading codes, but does give extra versatility as it was built specifically for said vehicles!
Old 09-08-2021, 08:17 PM

2005' W203 C230 Kompressor Avantgarde
Thanks Scrappy_doo..... yep! I'm just looking for a brand new good scanner to reset the error codes and check everything... I've found some equipaments, but all from China (hmmmmm... i'm little bit concerned about the quality)... Here in Brazil we have no options for this kind of scanner... unfortunatelly.
Old 09-08-2021, 08:24 PM

Various
Originally Posted by Jones_Santos
Thanks Scrappy_doo..... yep! I'm just looking for a brand new good scanner to reset the error codes and check everything... I've found some equipaments, but all from China (hmmmmm... i'm little bit concerned about the quality)... Here in Brazil we have no options for this kind of scanner... unfortunatelly.
Launch X431 which works for all major car brands,
or for an MB specific tool have heard icarsoft MB is an excellent budget STAR alternative. A lot of these devices are made in China anyway so I wouldn't be too sceptical!
Old 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM

S203
Originally Posted by SeaCoupe
Hey, i know this is an old post, but i have the same issues. Could you please explain which plug you mean. I had some problems with the A/C but i could never imagine that this is related with the ABS sensor. I have exactly the same failing Sensor. Front right. I changed it twice but still nothing. I remember when it first failed, i heard something like an electrical short circuit sound ( or something like a relay opening and closing really fast).