C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Another '05 c230 newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 Sedan & 2001 Audi 225TTq
Another '05 c230 newbie

Hi all,

I am a new member, I bought my black/black '05 C230 Sedan about a week ago. I love it, it's a great car, unfortunately we have already been through a lot together, On Thursday of last week I was rear-ended. There was minor damage, and I will be getting a quote for the repairs tomorrow. Sux.

I have a few questions about the c230 and I was hoping you guys [and girls] can help. I have been reading this forum and other forums for about a month now and I have also called around to a few local [Atlanta] performance shops. In reading and speaking with people, I have become a bit confused about performance mods and suspension for my car.

I have had experience with aftermarket parts on my TT and I'm familiar with most suspension companies. Currently I am running Koni adjustable shocks and Eibach spring on my TT, they are great for THAT car but the ride is a little harsh. I don't want as harsh of a ride for my Benz but I would like it to be a bit stiffer in the corners. I spoke with a gentlemen at Autowerks yesterday, he told me no matter what I did I will end up with a harsh ride. In your opinions and experience do you find this to be the case? I would like to upgrade the full suspension system and not just the springs, what systems do you recommend for good/great handling and a less-harsh ride quality? I have read about the H&R cup kits, Kleemann, and Renntech are there any other you like? What setup do you think gives the best ride quality and feel?

I am also interested in running 18" wheels, I have run 19s on my TT before and they where just to much work to keep from bending them over EVERY pot hole. What is the widest wheel/tire I can run on the back of a c230?

I know this is an odd question but... I live in the Atlanta area, are there any c230 drivers that have modded there suspension that would be willing to meet at a mall or something at take me for a ride so I can get a feel for the modded ride quality.

Ok, and my last question... I was looking into the Kleemann boost kits and got this email response:

Engine performance: Unfortunately, our USA division has discontinued our performance enhancements for the 4-Cyl. vehicles. We have made this decision due to lack of demand for the enhancements. We are however open to re-introducing the products if demand increases. I would be happy to add your email address to my mailing list and let you know if we decide to bring the products back to market.

Has anyone else heard this? I hadn't, but what do I know... I'm new. I'm not sure the guy at Autowerks knew this either.

Any way, thanx in advanced for any help.
~Brad
Old 08-11-2004, 05:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
hey congrats and welcome to the board!

sorry to hear you already had an accident.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
hey congrats and welcome to the board!

sorry to hear you already had an accident.

Originally Posted by xxbenzc230kxx
sorry to hear that couple of days of owning your car you already got into a accident... hope you everything fixed...

Thanx!

Last edited by BradA1878; 08-11-2004 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is not yet completed
sorry to hear that couple of days of owning your car you already got into a accident... hope you everything fixed...
Old 08-11-2004, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your new car!

About the engine performance of the car.. From the research i've done so far, it is very hard to find companies making anything for the 4 cyl. But maybe this thread will help you a bit.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/77708-2005-c230k-sedan-performance-mods-help.html

-Danny
Old 08-11-2004, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sauceboy01
Welcome to the boards and congratulations on your new car!
Thanx for the congrats... I love my new car. All my friends are heavy BMW fans and thought I was crazy for wanting a benz [they have no taste j/k]... but they don't know what they are missing. I really like the C. Don't get me wrong, I like BMWs, but I wanted something different from all my friends. In Atlanta it seems every other car is a BMW, an H2, or an Escalade.

About the engine performance of the car.. From the research i've done so far, it is very hard to find companies making anything for the 4 cyl. But maybe this thread will help you a bit.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=77708
Yea, I had read that thread, and came to the conclusion that Renntech is the only option... Seems the topic of c230 performance options has come up a few times lately on the forum.

Though I am interested in some performance mods, I really want to see if anyone is running the Kleemann suspension and what they think about it.

Thanx!
Old 08-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Guest0001

Welcome to the board. Dont sweat the accident. I got rear ended on the freeway 1 month after I got my car. 6k in damages.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
Originally Posted by BradA1878
I love my new car. All my friends are heavy BMW fans and thought I was crazy for wanting a benz [they have no taste j/k]... but they don't know what they are missing.
i used to be a bmw fan too but chris bangle ruined everything. damn him. like you, now I'm looking forward to get behind the wheel of a mb
Old 08-12-2004, 12:26 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
another congrats!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

congrats and sorry to hear about ur accident
Old 08-12-2004, 03:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Blimp
alright, now post some pics!! looking forward to seeing your car!

-Danny
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM

Yea, I need to get some pics up of the new ride.... If it stop raining I'll run out and take a few shots. Thanx to all of you for the welcoming.

Originally Posted by Noble C320
Welcome to the board. Dont sweat the accident. I got rear ended on the freeway 1 month after I got my car. 6k in damages.
Wow! That really sux, makes me not feel so bad about mine.

~Brad
Old 08-12-2004, 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least you've got the first one over with now. So do you know what your repair shop is using for the paint process? I don't know if any shops are equipped to do the "nano" process yet, but if enough new MB owners keep getting hit, there should be a demand for it. Though in your case, it shouldn't make much of a difference for just the rear bumper.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:25 PM

C320 Coupe
just reiterating the congrats on your new MB, you should love it. and i can relate to the bmw thing - i know a lot of people who have bmws, and i see them frequently out here in south florida, especially the 3 series, so i wanted to be different too. i got the c-class, and i am so glad that i did. anyway, enjoy the car! and good luck with the repairs.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by mb-scott
Sorry to hear about the accident, but at least you've got the first one over with now. So do you know what your repair shop is using for the paint process? I don't know if any shops are equipped to do the "nano" process yet, but if enough new MB owners keep getting hit, there should be a demand for it. Though in your case, it shouldn't make much of a difference for just the rear bumper.
Nano Paint is only done at the factory from what I know. The car needs to be baked to a temp of 500 degrees to make the nano coat bond to the paint. If you put the car in a 500 degree oven, it would melt! So I wold say the nano paint is gone for good. My E55 was keyed a while back and well I lost the nano paint on the drivers side (whole side). As long as the front end has nano paint to prevent rock chipping you are ok. Still is sad to know the back will fade before the front. I feel your pain!
Old 08-12-2004, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
As for suspensions, I have a great deal of info on C32 suspensions but I have never done any work on my 2005 C230k. I personally am happy with the C230k but it is my daily driver around as a mileage monkey! It is a bit soft at time but it weighs so little that soft spring do not cause an issue.

If you want a car that is adjustable you should only look at the Carlsson RS Coil-over kit. SMGC32 and I have done thousands of miles of testing with the Carlsson kit (4 track days and 3-5k miles of ultra hard canyon driving) and this kit is the best we have seen for the W203. Springs alone will lower the car but you will have a suspension that is underdamed. The car has the feeling that the shocks are a bit soft stock so going any stiffer with the spring will cause the shocks to be even more prone to float.

I had RENNtech springs in my C32 with RENNtech shocks. For out right track driving this set-up is a bit soft but it had a ride that was SOFTER than the stock C32 set-up. The RENNtech system had less understeer than stock and it was very stable (great street or light track day kit). But again, I would do springs only if you want to do shocks.

H&R makes a coilover kit but this kit is softer than a C32 and it honestly is only an upgrade in looks (for a c32). It might work well with the lighter C230k but I can not say that for fact. It sure is cheaper.

The simple upgrade would be to do the H&R coilover kit (it has adjustable ride height) or just a set of H&R springs with Koni shocks. Make sure the springs are designed for the 2005 car being that it sits very low stock. It might not be that much stiffer or lower if the kit was designed for the 2003-2004 car.

Good luck. Ill help if I can!
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by mb-scott

To be honest I had not even thought about it...

But the good news is I just went to get the quote and they where able to buff out all the damage to the back. The exhaust pipe is still a little scratched so they are gonna order me a replacement... What a relief... I kinda thought it could be buffed out but I didn't want to mess with it till I got the quote for the insurance.

Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
As for suspensions, I have a great deal of info on C32 suspensions but I have never done any work on my 2005 C230k. I personally am happy with the C230k but it is my daily driver around as a mileage monkey! It is a bit soft at time but it weighs so little that soft spring do not cause an issue.

If you want a car that is adjustable you should only look at the Carlsson RS Coil-over kit. SMGC32 and I have done thousands of miles of testing with the Carlsson kit (4 track days and 3-5k miles of ultra hard canyon driving) and this kit is the best we have seen for the W203. Springs alone will lower the car but you will have a suspension that is underdamed. The car has the feeling that the shocks are a bit soft stock so going any stiffer with the spring will cause the shocks to be even more prone to float.

I had RENNtech springs in my C32 with RENNtech shocks. For out right track driving this set-up is a bit soft but it had a ride that was SOFTER than the stock C32 set-up. The RENNtech system had less understeer than stock and it was very stable (great street or light track day kit). But again, I would do springs only if you want to do shocks.

H&R makes a coilover kit but this kit is softer than a C32 and it honestly is only an upgrade in looks (for a c32). It might work well with the lighter C230k but I can not say that for fact. It sure is cheaper.

The simple upgrade would be to do the H&R coilover kit (it has adjustable ride height) or just a set of H&R springs with Koni shocks. Make sure the springs are designed for the 2005 car being that it sits very low stock. It might not be that much stiffer or lower if the kit was designed for the 2003-2004 car.

Good luck. Ill help if I can!
Thanx for all the help!

I have noticed that not many companies have kits out for the '05s yet. I may just want to chill for a bit on the suspension. I don't necessarily need my suspension to be adjustable but I do want some better handling without killing the ride. Have you [or anyone] heard anything about the Eibach Pro-System? I read threw this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57287 and I've come to the conclusion that the H&R Cup kit improves handling while keeping the ride very close to stock... Is this true?

Thanx!
~Brad
Old 08-12-2004, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4
got any pics of ur audi?
Old 08-12-2004, 04:18 PM

alright, now post some pics!! looking forward to seeing your car!
I updated my site with some pics of the new Benz:
http://brad-anderson.com/pics/index....edes-Benz_c230

Originally Posted by moa4r
got any pics of ur audi?
Here is a link to some pics of my TT:
http://brad-anderson.com/pics/index.php?_Audi_TT
Old 08-12-2004, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S4

looks good, what wheels are those??
Old 08-12-2004, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BANNED

Did you "de-badge" your benz?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

looks like it from the pics. are you asking if he did it or someone else?
Old 08-12-2004, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by moa4r
looks good, what wheels are those??
they are 19" Axis 07s... Look good but bend easy and give me horrible torque steer.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by tyro
Did you "de-badge" your benz?
Yes, I had the dealer do it when I purchased it, I had done it to a A4 I had a few years ago and always like that cleanness of it.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i like the de-badged look as well. it does make the car look very clean. i did mine about 5 months after i took delivery.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another '05 c230 newbie