C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New '02 C240 owner! Lots of questions and opinions :)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
New '02 C240 owner! Lots of questions and opinions :)

Overall, we're happy with the car. It's brilliant silver w/ charcoal interior. My only real negative is the car's initial throttle response. We are used to (American?) cars that seem to give full power if you "floor" the pedal. In the last days before getting the C240, we drove a Passat, A4 and 325. All German made V6's. They all, including the C240, seem to slowly build up power when you "floored" it. I'm not expecting wheel spin (they were all automatics), but the initial throttle reponse's all feel like underpowered 4 cyclinders! Once you get past the low side of first gear, you really feel the power coming on, but that's too late if you were trying to slip into fast moving traffic from a dead stop I'm not completely sure the 325 suffered from this since it was raining the day we drove it and we really didn't get a chance to "floor" it. Anyway, I've ordered a K&N filter to see if it helps with the initial throttle response. The $33K we paid (sticker was $34,500) was the high side of our budget, so getting the C320 or spending another $1000 on a "chip" is out of the question (right now, anyways). I may also try the aluminum tape around the air inlet tubes/airbox mod discussed over in the performance forum for keeping the incoming air cool after the engine heat builds up under the hood. If anyone has any other cheap tweaks to squeak out a few more HP, I'm all ears Something I thought about was that since Mercedes recommends breaking the engine in softly, that perhaps the computer is limiting the engine's response until I get to 1K miles or so. Is this wishful thinking? Another question- we have the standard in-dash radio/tape player. When I continually press the AUD soft key, I never see the EXT function for the "speech", "ambience", etc. tone presets. Are they only on the Bose system? I see a single, larger upside-down woofer on the left side of the rear shelf. Is this supposed to be a subwoofer? The other side of the rear shelf, I believe, only contains the first-aid kit and no speaker. Correct? We had already order the CD changer from www.autotoys.com (for $450) before seeing the cheaper price at autonet.com but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the dealer's rip-off price! We are also considering the 16" Sport Edition brand Fox5 wheels from www.tirerack.com. My only concern is that the steering wheel is SOOOOO smooth right now, I'm afraid of introducing some sudder from switching out the wheels. Unfounded fear? Also, after having seen the "sport grille" with large three pointed star, we had to order one, along with the flat hood badge to replace the "standing star" from www.performanceproducts.com! But now we thing we think we want a black grille after seeing the black grilled Mercedes "safety car" in today's Austrian GP on Speed channel

thanks for listening
Jim

Last edited by Jim Banville; 05-12-2002 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you are so concern with the initial delay, yet, you spend money on wheels? grills? cd-changer (this is more acceptable)....please fulfill your priorities first..
Old 05-12-2002, 05:23 PM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
To answer some of your questions:

The throttle lag seeems to be typical for the C-class. I guess it's supposed to be that way.

The ambience, speach, etc. -settings is only available when Bose is installed.

Yes, the subwoofer is located on the drivers side in the rear shelf, and there is nothing but a first-aid kit on the passenger side.

Enjoy you new car!
Old 05-12-2002, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you are so concern with the initial delay, yet, you spend money on wheels? grills? cd-changer (this is more acceptable)....please fulfill your priorities first..
We are. Listening to local radio is KILLING me! Both the grille and wheels are something VERY visible as to where my money went (together they are "only" about $800). I may "chip" the car later, when it is both broken-in and I am confident the chip will be worth the $750-$1000 I see them going for. The K&N filter and aluminum tape mods are both relatively cheap right now. Realizing how computerized cars where now days and with the wealth of information sharing made possible by the net, I was hoping to come to this board and find where people were making a FREE change to the car's software that made it react more like a sports car rather than a small family sedan
Old 05-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by Jim Banville

We are. Listening to local radio is KILLING me! Both the grille and wheels are something VERY visible as to where my money went (together they are "only" about $800). I may "chip" the car later, when it is both broken-in and I am confident the chip will be worth the $750-$1000 I see them going for. The K&N filter and aluminum tape mods are both relatively cheap right now. Realizing how computerized cars where now days and with the wealth of information sharing made possible by the net, I was hoping to come to this board and find where people were making a FREE change to the car's software that made it react more like a sports car rather than a small family sedan
A K&N filter and aluminium tape (!?!?) will get you exactly nothing, except maybe a laugh when you take your car in for service.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A K&N filter and aluminium tape (!?!?) will get you exactly nothing, except maybe a laugh when you take your car in for service.
Hmm? So K&N filters are a scam? I've never used one before. Also, doesn't it make sense to try to keep the air coming into the engine as cool as possible? Isn't that what intercoolers are for? Are the guys discussing this mod over in the performance forum, nuts? Here's the thread

thanks
Jim

Last edited by Jim Banville; 05-12-2002 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-13-2002, 12:39 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
just the k&N airfilter will give you some high end power but not much...maybe just 1 or 2 hps...my older brother has the k&n filter in his 528...the high end power is noticebly different from stock but not by much. K&N filter provides better breathing for the engine.

if you replace the whole stock air intake with the k&N set you will maybe get 10 hps more.

SoCal obviously haven't seen the test motorweek had done when they replace the stock air intake with the K&N set on the Corvette
Old 05-13-2002, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I highly doubt a K&N stock replacement filter will give you much power. Maybe 5hp max. THe heat shield is interesting. Kinda funny looking. THe C240 auto is very slow in my opinion. I test drove one and didnt enjoy it. Get 17" instead of 16". Like the C32 wheels would look really nice. Good luck and enjoy your new car.
Old 05-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
You probably bought the wrong car

A c240 auto is not the best choice for performance.

I would say to enjoy the car for what it is. I haven't heard of any real big gains with a simple k&n bolton.

Intercoolers are for turbos. I'm assuming that you mean cold air intakes? I haven't heard of any for the c class yet except for the Renntech one, and that one's expensive, of course.

The best mod for your car would probably be a Kleemann supercharger, but that's big bucks, comparatively speaking.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 AM

2001 C240 6spd
Here's my 2cents...
After 7 months with my C240, I do enjoy driving the car. I do wish it had some more power. I do have the 6 speed, so that does help out a bit. The automatic really does not help out the power situation. To increase HP, I dont know if the chip will really help that much....Renntech makes a chip and increase HP by 5. They also have a new air intake system...another 5hp gain. Replace the muffler and get another 5hp. You van get all three for a bargain price of nearly $3000. Like mentioned before, you can get a 100hp gain from the Kleeman supercharger for $10,000.
No real economical way of getting more power that it sounds like you want.
To replace wheels and tires...I changed to 17's. You get much better handling, but you do feel more bumps. But I would recommend going with at least 17's...I got the split spoke AMG wheels...got the staggered set 17x7.5 front/17x8.5 rear.
CD changer - smart move...I got mine from an outside source, but had the dealer install it...the average cost for install has been around 120-130$ at the dealer..cost me $125.
The flat badge is nice...makes the car look a little more "sportier"
Overall, I love the car. But if more power is what you want....there is no real cost effective way to get more from the 2.6L motor....the auto does not help...the manual is only a little better.
Good luck.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:10 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
It seems to me that you're looking for more low end power/torque. I'm not sure how much of that you would get from the K&N, or the tape idea. Even if you get an extra 5HP, you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference at the low end.

After test driving the C240, both manual and auto, I too felt that it was sluggish at the start. Not that the C320 is a power house, but the difference between the two was noticable. After pricing the C240 with the options I wanted, and the C320, it was worth the extra money (IMO) for the C320.

I did pay full price for the CD changer though... --Live and learn--
Old 05-13-2002, 10:32 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by revstriker
It seems to me that you're looking for more low end power/torque. I'm not sure how much of that you would get from the K&N, or the tape idea. Even if you get an extra 5HP, you probably wouldn't feel much of a difference at the low end.
I suspect his would all be for naught if you bought (heavier) 17" wheels, too...

Jim, as you become more accustomed to reading the posts here, you will realize that opinions vary wildly on the K&N solutions (and aluminum tape mods), etc. Playing with your car is part of the ownership bonding experience, so I wouldn't let our opinions limit having fun with your new car. Enjoy.
Old 05-13-2002, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the opinions guys I am sticking with the 16's mainly because of economics. If I went with 17's, I'd have to buy a new set of tires as wells as wheels. And to keep the same outside circumference of the wheel tire combo, I'd have to go with lower profile tires. From my post experience, the larger and lower profile tires are more expensive and have a harsher ride. The smooth ride was one of the reasons we went with the C240 A related question- I notice that there is a flat "plate" like thing that is part of the front struts. This "plate" appears to be only about 1/2" above the tire. Don't people with larger tires run the risk of rubbing this thing?

thanks
Jim
Old 05-13-2002, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

One more question - is it required that you unplug your battery for the car's CPU to re-learn the new fuel to air mixture due to the free flowing filter, or not?

thanks
Jim
Old 05-13-2002, 01:25 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!
I have a 2002 C240 w/auto. I agree, you will not win hell of alot races with it. BUT, to call it an underpowered 4 cylinder is wrong. Trust me, the difference between my 318 and the MB is night and day. It's also not fair to slam the car after one 20 minute test drive. You need to become acclamated with the car in order to guage it's power and acceleration. When I first got mine I noticed that it hunted for gears and that it didn't accelerate as quickly as I wanted. But once you drive the car for an extended period, you get to know all of it's quirks. You have a better understanding of HOW to drive the car to get the most out of it. Now when I drive, the car never hunts for gears and I have no problem getting up to speed from a standstill and merging on the highway.

Don't criticize until you've owned, not just test driven.

What the car lacks in power it more than makes up for in refinement. The car is smoothe as silk (including the engine). The brakes are the best I've ever used, better than the bimmer, and I never would have thought that was possible.

When I was sitting at a red light with the windows rolled up and the radio off I couldn't even hear the engine running. I thought the car shut off. But it was revving at 500rpm.

And that's all I got to say about that!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 02:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by David N.

Don't criticize until you've owned, not just test driven.

Hey, don't get my post wrong. I think the C240 is a great car! But compared to the C230 and the C320, it did not have what I was looking for as far as power. I don't think driving the car for a year would change my mind. This is just my opinion based on what I wanted in a car. My current car does meet my needs, although I'm sure some of the C32 owners might feel that it's power is lacking, based on what they are looking for.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:37 PM

2001 C240
all show, no go (unforuntately)

jim,

as someone else pointed out, you will enjoy the C240 Auto for what it does best, which in my opinion, is ride quality, smooth power (after initial get up), and a really quiet ride.

the car "feels" more expensive than the competition at the low $30k price point. doors close with the mbz heaviness, the body is stiff, and sitting in the driver seat is very comfortable, even with long drives. i'm in my car at least 2.5 hrs a day (bay area traffic) and i'm never uncomfortable.

if you are seriously looking at chipping you car, i would suggest contacting www.upsolute.com who claims a modest 12hp increase for $375 intalled with a money-back guarantee. i'm thinking of doing it just to see if it's worth it.

i do love my car, and i'm sure you will as well.

- spin
Old 05-13-2002, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: all show, no go (unforuntately)

Originally posted by spindrome
if you are seriously looking at chipping you car, i would suggest contacting www.upsolute.com who claims a modest 12hp increase for $375 intalled with a money-back guarantee.
Current price is $500 plus $25 for pulling the ECU.
Old 05-13-2002, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

K Car

if you are seriously looking at chipping you car, i would suggest contacting www.upsolute.com who claims a modest 12hp increase for $375 intalled with a money-back guarantee. i'm thinking of doing it just to see if it's worth it.

I haven't seen any dynos posted on this chip with a C240. However, on the coupe, it was commented that the power increase with the upsolute chip was more on the higher end of the RPM band.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:20 PM

2002 C240 Classic - Orion Blue Beast!!

jim,

as someone else pointed out, you will enjoy the C240 Auto for what it does best, which in my opinion, is ride quality, smooth power (after initial get up), and a really quiet ride.

- spin
It was the smootheness and quietness that really sold me. For me the power was more than enough. I wouldn't complain if I had the 320 or cl600 for that matter. But I'm definately very pleased with the output I get from my 2.6L V6. And the prestige of owning an MB V6 was also very alluring. In Canada the C240 is a steal. It is the best bargain in it's calss.

Rev, I understand what you're saying about needing something that meets your needs. I totally respect that. Different strokes for different folks.

Take care all.
Old 05-13-2002, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Upsolute.com's website says...

In which rev range does the car's performance increase? With an UPsolute chip you will feel the power over the entire rev range, but especially in the lower and middle rev range.
The site also lists the price at $300US, not including installation. If they've upped the price, they need to update their site or alot of people are going to be pissed about expecting one price only to have it jump significantly when they contact the local rep One thing that doesn't seem clear from their site is whether they will upgrade your CPU via the mail. It sounds like they want the actual
car to come to their shop. I will probably call MB Autowerks in Atlanta about a chip for my C240, eventually. If they charge a premium over Upsolute's MSRP, I'll contact one of the other reps in Fl. and stop by on our annual visit to Orlando.

Jim
Old 05-13-2002, 09:04 PM
Banned

'01 C240/6
Originally posted by FrankW

SoCal obviously haven't seen the test motorweek had done when they replace the stock air intake with the K&N set on the Corvette
And a test on a Corvette has meaning for a MB because . . . why?

The intake on the C320/240 has been tested already, by Carlsen and others. The stock intake and the stock air filter can provide far, far more air than the stock engine can ever process. Period, end of story. So, nothing you do to the air filter (including taking it out entirely) will increase power.

But if you want to believe nonsense K&N marketing hype (or the testimonials of people who claim they can "feel" a supposed 5 hp difference in their car. LOL!), go ahead.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

K Car
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Upsolute.com's website says...
"In which rev range does the car's performance increase? With an UPsolute chip you will feel the power over the entire rev range, but especially in the lower and middle rev range."
Perhaps this is correct. I still think I would want to see some before and after dynos on it before I plop down even $300.
Old 05-14-2002, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
Originally posted by FrankW
just the k&N airfilter will give you some high end power but not much...maybe just 1 or 2 hps...my older brother has the k&n filter in his 528...the high end power is noticebly different from stock but not by much. K&N filter provides better breathing for the engine.

if you replace the whole stock air intake with the k&N set you will maybe get 10 hps more.

I bet they replaced the physical airbox too because the K&N yields ZERO HP on Vette's/Camaro's/Trans Ams (they all have the LS1 engine which is exactly the same minus a insignificant change in cams. I have a 99 Z28 that puts down 390 hp to the wheels on my blown clutch which I am about to replace. We actually flowed the K&N over a Fram air filter. There was maybe 40 cfm difference but they both flowed over 1000 cfm at 28" so there was no virtually no difference because that is well over what my LS1 V8 will need in it's current form.

My wifes 240 has gotten a lot better on the low end, especially taht dumb delay it use to have almost like a miss when you initially punched the gas pedal. It seemed to get better around 14,000 miles but my wife says it is still there.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
Old 05-15-2002, 01:47 AM

2006 Boxster
I too have a C240/auto

I think that a few people have said what I feel:

1. Enjoy (and accept) the car for what it is.

2. Once you learn to drive it correctly, the performance is fine.

I am usually a manual transmission guy. I drove a C240 stick and to me...it just did not fit the car. Ok I'm in my mid 40's now. I had a BMW 328i prior to this with a stick and maybe I was spoiled with it. I found both the clutch and linkage irritating and annoying in the Mercedes.

I have no problems with the automatic's performance from a stop. The gearing is low and I find the car steps out adequately.

The weak point is about 20 mph. Kind of an awkward zone. Usually in 3rd. If you punch it, there's a slight pause, then a shift down and you move. That is my only real area of complaint. The rest is fine.

I considered a C230 and came close to getting one. But my significant other didn't care for the style. I liked it but I also prefer the sedan's styling too.

Unfortunalty, there are big jumps in prices between models! I would have ultimately preferred the C320. The C240 has been a great compromise. It's a beautiful car and does everything nicely.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New '02 C240 owner! Lots of questions and opinions :)