C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

does modding void warranty? + auto-climate control question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C300
does modding void warranty? + auto-climate control question

say if i were to buy the bi-xenon headlight assembly and replace it w/ my current headlight assembly, do i void my warranty by doing that? does that go for the same for other mods like adding a cellphone to the car?

oh yah, i read in the c class brochure in 2k1 when the new C came out and it said that the auto climate control can pump out more AC to the passenger in the car where the sun is shining the most. so i figured, my car seems to have auto-climate control, how come when the sun is beaming down on me, nothing is happening??? btw, i'm in canada.

Last edited by curtis_tom; 09-08-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually when you replace factory parts with non-factory parts you will void your warranty on the parts you replaced.
For example, if you change out your headlights, you won't cause any warranty problems should your trunk not open.

However if you change your headlights, and a bulb continually burns out, the dealer might certainly question it, and could void your warranty.

Use your best judgement, and just be ready to pay the price should something not be covered.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:41 PM

2018 C300
oh ok, but headlights aren't covered by warranty anyways, so it shouldn't matter right? i guess my only concern if i were to replace it w/ oem bi-xenon headlights, i don't want to destroy the electrical system underneath the hood. :s

anyone know the answer to my auto-climate control question?
Old 09-08-2004, 11:51 PM

'02 C230K Coupe
Although I can't specifically answer as to how the climate control would redirect air, I do know a low-tech way to get it to blow more air towards one side than the other. Just set the thermostats 2-3 degrees apart between the passenger and driver side. Depending on whether you're cooling or heating, it'll direct more air towards the "higher demanding" side.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:17 AM

2018 C300
Originally Posted by preyx
Although I can't specifically answer as to how the climate control would redirect air, I do know a low-tech way to get it to blow more air towards one side than the other. Just set the thermostats 2-3 degrees apart between the passenger and driver side. Depending on whether you're cooling or heating, it'll direct more air towards the "higher demanding" side.
i thought it would automatically re-direct cooler air to the passengers where the sun is shining on them more. also i find changing the thermostat 2-3ºC doesn't seem to have a big diff. maybe cuz i'm not sitting on that seat.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:03 AM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
IF the sun is shinning in and warming the car in that area, then yes.... the car will cool it down in that area. But if the sun is shinning in and not warming the car in that area, then no.... it won't do that.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:08 AM

2018 C300
yah, it shines in the car and gets warmer, but the auto climate doesn't do anything. i even push the auto button twice...nothing happens. the fan turns on faster, but it doesn't specifically output cooler air to me. then the whole cabin turns into an freezer and only me is just feeling normal. lol
Old 09-09-2004, 02:14 AM
Banned

Missing my beloved Benz
Sounds like there is a temp. guage or sensor problem. Take it in for service and have them look over it.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:20 AM

2018 C300
hm, uh oh! now, just by owning the c320 with automatic climate controls means i should have that feature right?
Old 09-09-2004, 03:15 AM

replacing a factory part with a non factory part does not void the warranty in itself. now if the part you put on caused the failure then it may void warranty. read the magnusson moss act. basically it says that you can replace a factory part with a non factory part and keep your warranty as long as the part you are replacing it with was designed to accomplish the same thing as the original part.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally Posted by nov0798
read the magnusson moss act. basically it says that you can replace a factory part with a non factory part and keep your warranty as long as the part you are replacing it with was designed to accomplish the same thing as the original part.
Warning: Thread hijack

I think a problem Magnusson-Moss may face in the future, is that it was written in 1975, when there pretty much wasn't a single computer in a car. Today's vechicles are so filled with integrated electronics that it is getting to the point that only a manufacturer's parts can be used to fix a problem.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
yeah but lets say my climatronic stops working, they wont fix that. the dealer will more than likey not fix any part that did not come with your car. something like COMAND you would have a better chance because you could have bought the car from factory like that. if its OEM you warranty will not be void. Example of my folding mirrors, climatronic, COMAND, PTS (one month away until i get it installed), convex mirrors, etc.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:34 PM

is what i am saying is, if you install the evosprt pullies on your car and the water pump impeller breaks, they cannot refuse to honor the warranty because of the pullies. The pullies were designed to work as pullies and they do so. now if you put on a pulley from a 96 corsica on your 2004 mb then yea they can say this part wasnt designed for this car, etc.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Originally Posted by nov0798
is what i am saying is, if you install the evosprt pullies on your car and the water pump impeller breaks, they cannot refuse to honor the warranty because of the pullies. The pullies were designed to work as pullies and they do so. now if you put on a pulley from a 96 corsica on your 2004 mb then yea they can say this part wasnt designed for this car, etc.
No, something like underdrive pullies would not covered by Magnusson-Moss, because they are not the same specification as the OEM parts. However, if you installed a set that were exactly the same diameter (which, of course, would have little performance value) from a different manufacturer (even GM) then you'd be covered.