C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Memory Seat Retrofit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 06:50 PM

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
I posted my last update to this thread at a fairly late hour and I'm afraid I forgot my manners. Specifically, I want to thank Jake, "Hector's Dad" (on the MBClub.co.uk board - see link in the third post of this thread), Saabatour and Rudney for their insights and suggestions that helped me to succeed with this effort.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:26 PM

My passenger door panel arrived today.

The panel is in better condition than the one currently on the car. I will have the benefit of a cosmetic upgrade.

The bad news is that the wiring harness was not included. The recycling yard would only sell the entire door wiring harness and they quoted $75 for that.

I'll need to start hunting for the harness. I checked the parts diagram and I couldn't find a part number for the harness. Based on the diagram, it appears that Mercedes sells it as part of the door control.

I have attached a picture of the wiring harness and control module from the driver's door. I expect that the harness in the passenger door will be similar. The harness I need has a white connector on each end and 5 or 6 black wires meshed together.

Driver control with harness attached.

The part number for the passenger door-mounted control is 203 821 42 58. Unfortunately, I do not have a part number for the wiring harness alone. I have also attached a photo showing the part number of the passenger door control.

Passenger control part number.

If you have the part available or know where I can find it, please advise on the price and availability.

Old 09-18-2021, 10:15 PM

I need an additional part

My plan for today was to finish this project by installing the components for the passenger side memory. Unfortunately, I ran into a minor bump in the road. When I removed the door panel, I discovered there was no open slot into which I could plug the door-control connector.

Existing module in the car

Here's the same module outside the car. (Jake sent me this one which he obtained when he replaced his passenger door.)

I did some research, and it appears that passenger side memory seats were not an option in 2005. (See page 8 of the attached brochure. The memory function for the driver's seat is listed at as an option, but I could find no mention of a memory option for the passenger seat.)

All is not lost. I managed to find the updated module on an auction site for about $20.

Updated module - Note the additional connection points and the slight difference in part number.

I won't know for sure that the part will enable the seat memory until I install it, but I think it is likely it will work.

I did run into an interesting situation when I removed the panel that has been on the car since new. It seems like a previous owner used some creative repair techniques to address a broken door handle.

Note the additional fasteners for the door handle.

The black screws are 2.5 inch long dry wall fasteners. Two of them penetrated the structure of the door and I had to remove them before I could unfasten the door panel.

Although my project is stalled, I am enjoying the new panel. It is in better cosmetic condition than the one I removed and it does not have any drywall screws in it.

I won't need to deal with drywall screws when I remove this to install the new module.

I also used about 45 minutes of time to replace the door handle on the driver's side with a non-OEM part.

This door pull was half the cost of the Mercedes part.

I'll post an update on the durability of this part when I have had a few months to live with it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
csportclass 2005.pdf (4.32 MB, 165 views)
Old 09-26-2021, 09:55 PM

The updated door control module arrived on Saturday. I was out of town but I returned early enough on Sunday to install the module in the door.

Comparison of the modules. The updated part it at the bottom.

The connector for the seat control will only into one of the slots.

Note the white connector with all black wires at the top right.

I have some more work to do before I can confirm that this will power the passenger side. The "M" on the seat memory control illuminates when I turn on the ignition. This indicates the control has power and ground.

I hope to find some time after work on Monday or Tuesday to finish the install and confirm that it works.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:47 PM

Finished the passenger-side installation. I wired it slightly differently than the driver-side.

Saabatour sent me this wiring harness and connecter from the C63 from which he rescued his C63 seats:

Green - Power, Brown - Ground, Twisted wires - CAN

I had added a connection to the fuse box and CAN bus when I wired for the driver-side. I connected the ground wire to a ground point under the passenger seat carpet.

Crimped and soldered a ring connector to the ground wire.

The system works as I expected. The door-mounted control powers on when I unlock and open the door. If I close the door with the car off, the controls are not powered. The operate when the car is on.

The only oddity is that the LED in the door control (it illuminates the letter "M") seems to be on all the time. I doubt it draws much power, but I will need to investigate.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2005 C230 Kompressor Sedan, 2003 CLK55 AMG, 2021 GLC300
Great read I am little jealous you have black interior I have 118A Grey which is not common and finding panels that color is 1 in a million not to mention in decent condition.

Fortunately I found 1 and I am going to attempt to do the retrofit with W203 seats hopefully a little smoother than your experience.
Old 10-06-2021, 06:16 AM

If I had it to do over again, I would have installed the memory controls when I initially installed my C63 seats.

You may want to search for threads which discuss swapping upholstery from one seat frame to another. This information would allow you to buy a full power memory seat in a more common color and then swap your grey upholstery on to it. I have not done this myself, but I don’t see why that should not work.

Good luck with your project.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jggarcia.vc
Great read I am little jealous you have black interior I have 118A Grey which is not common and finding panels that color is 1 in a million not to mention in decent condition.

Fortunately I found 1 and I am going to attempt to do the retrofit with W203 seats hopefully a little smoother than your experience.
If you need the wiring harness for the driver's side memory seat, I have one for you. Saabatour pulled this from a C63, but it appears identical to the one I removed from the W203 I found in the pick and pull. I used a C63 harness on my passenger seat and it worked fine. You will only need to attach 4 of the wires - power, ground and the two CAN wires. I expect the remaining wires are for the memory function in the steering column and the outside mirrors.

Memory seat connector
Old 10-07-2021, 07:05 PM

Thank you I may need it, there isn't a part number on there by chance? I managed to find a harness in EPC for a vehicle that does not have power steering column.

Side not i received my door panel today and I'd like to swap out some parts as its not as clean as mine IE Aluminum Trim and Handles. The handle I know how to swap but the trim and speaker, pocket are those all removable? I am looking at and nothing really has "clips" so I don't know how plausible this is. Also the door opener area is in bad shape...
Old 10-07-2021, 09:04 PM

This thread explains the process for removing the aluminum trim.

The speaker covers look like they have plastic rivets that are melted on. My guess is that you would have to drill out the plastic rivets and then glue the speaker cover you want to use on the panel.

I'll look for the part number on the connector.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:05 PM

Thank you I may need it, there isn't a part number on there by chance? .
A220 545 37 28
Old 12-12-2021, 11:20 PM

I was able to activate the EZ out feature. I used a DAS clone and followed the steps described in post #22. This time when I pressed F5, the coding process proceeded without an error and the memory seat option shows Present. I am now able to use the steering wheel controls to access the EZ out menu and turn it on. I am not sure why it worked now and wouldn’t work earlier.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 AM

Here's the sequence of menus for activating the system after turning it on using DAS:

The only part of the system that works in my car is the seat because I did not install the steering column or outside mirror components.
Old 12-13-2021, 12:24 PM

Glad you are making progress!

I should be getting my new door module soon. I had ordered some electronically folding mirrors but they sent me w211 with the puddle light and the harness is different than what I currently have so going to send it back. You should have the motor for the outside mirror installed and you have the module I think you may just need a new harness or you might actually have all those components already.

I need to make more money so I can buy more parts lol.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:29 PM

You should have the motor for the outside mirror installed and you have the module I think you may just need a new harness or you might actually have all those components already.

I need to make more money so I can buy more parts lol.
I expect that the part number for the mirrors with memory function are different from the ones installed in my car. I activated the mirror function of the EZ Entry feature and the mirror did not rotate when I put the car in reverse.

Based on my experience the door module is different from the one installed in non-memory vehicles and I will need at least one additional harness if I want the memory mirrors to work. In post #29 of this thread, I have a picture of the passenger door module that was installed in my car at the factory next to the one that I needed to make the door-mounted seat memory control work. There is at least one more open slot for (possibly) connecting the mirror.

If I had a better understanding of the memory function when I was removing parts from cars at the pick and pull lot, I may have taken the opportunity to pick up the components I needed for memory mirrors. Unfortunately, the cars I removed parts from are no longer available. I did think briefly about harvesting the power steering wheel adjustment module, but that would require removing the steering wheel. I didn't have a breaker bar with me and, if I did, I would have needed someone to hold the steering wheel while I removed the fastener holding the steering wheel in place. I think the steering wheel is installed with Loctite and torqued to 60 foot-pounds. It is not an easy task for one person.

I move the seat forward and back each time I exit the car, but I rarely move the mirrors or the steering column. I have a backup camera and the tilt-down mirror function is not something that I currently miss. Adding the mirror and steering wheel controls may need to wait until I find the right donor car and time to install the components.

I understand what you mean about money but compare what you spend on your car to what you would shell out for a car payment. Spending a few hundred dollars occasionally beets spending $500 a month every month for 5 years.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:18 PM

Not sure if you've read this article below goes over the reverse mirror parking aid.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rking-aid.html

I am hoping I can get the mirrors that fold in electronically soon as that harness takes both spots so hoping that'll cover everything on the mirror side. I ended up ordering a test mirror and they people sent me w211 mirror instead so need to send it back...
Old 12-16-2021, 10:09 PM

Not sure if you've read this article below goes over the reverse mirror parking aid.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...rking-aid.html

I am hoping I can get the mirrors that fold in electronically soon as that harness takes both spots so hoping that'll cover everything on the mirror side. I ended up ordering a test mirror and they people sent me w211 mirror instead so need to send it back...
I regret that I didn't see the post on the reverse mirror. I could have taken the parts from one of the cars I scavenged in the pick and pull lot. It probably wouldn't have taken too much more time to install them when I was swapping the passenger door panel. I am trying to avoid taking on new "elective" work on the car right now, but I will keep it in mind for a possible future project.

Please post updates about the folding mirrors.
Old 12-18-2021, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220 cdi
going to retrofit memory seats too

hi Kevin, I'm lucky to.find someone just recently doing this, i took some memory seats from junkyard 7 months ago unfortunately the full car was gone, i was hoping to find wiring loom for all the memory system, but no luck, i would buy wiring from you if you have some, again, i only have seats, with module underneath. i would appreciate.your help.

i will be posting my adventure too,
Old 12-19-2021, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by elharraq
I would buy wiring from you if you have some, again, i only have seats, with module underneath. i would appreciate.your help.

i will be posting my adventure too,
You are welcome to the harness I have, but shipping to Morocco from the U.S. may be complicated and costly. You may want to search for the part number (A220 545 37 28) and determine whether you can find a local source. It looks like it was used on several Mercedes models. The extra harness I have is for the driver’s seat, but it looks like Mercedes used the same connector under both seats. The difference between the two sides is the number and color of the wires. (See the photos in post #17 for details.)

Good luck with your project and I hope you find my experience helpful.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 12-19-2021 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
220 cdi
seat operates not according to seat switch pattern

hello again, i managed to to retrofit the memory seats, but seat operates not according to seat switch pattern i have this one in the image, is it something i can fix with DAS only? ot i have to change the whole controller under the seat ?

seat movement control

Old 02-06-2023, 07:08 AM

What is the part number on your control module?