C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help to install Kleemann ring pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 C200 Kompressor, 02 C32 AMG
Help to install Kleemann ring pulley

My Kleemann ring pulley finally arrived, but all I need now is the installation manual. I have requested an installation manual from Brandon, Kleemann (great guy, without him I wouldn’t be able to get the boost kit cos none of other Kleemann dealers care to answer my queries) but I think he might be too busy right now to write one cos there isn’t any installation manual exists. So now I need some help from you folks.

BTW…my car is a C200K sedan and Brandon said that the boost kit for C230 coupe will fit without problem. Now…is there anybody that installed the pulley themself??…were there any problems encountered??. I may not get any answers but while I’m still waiting for Brandon to write me one who knows someone out there can get me some pointers for installation.

And Oh…btw if you ask why can’t I go to Kleemann dealer to install it my answer would be that I live in Down Under, Australia and none of Kleemann dealers can be found here. If its easy enough then me and my friend will do it ourself otherwise I have to fork out another AU$200-300 for installation.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 11:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
haha, that is very very funny! when brandon, who indeed is a very nice guy, posted the pic of the kit, there was no instruction manual in sight. i thought he just didn't take a pic w/ them in it...

ok, to help you, i'd recommend trying the SLK forum b/c i believe that this kit has been used by SLK230 owners. i'm waiting for mine but i'm getting it installed professionally. i'm not sure if anyone w/ a sportcoupe installed it themselves. i should add that brandon explained the installation to me in detail; but, most of it went right over my head as it was beyond my technical expertise... i just sort of said, "i see... now my local kleemann installer is where?" but, the implication was that it is very simple and that removal would be a 15 minute job (just in case).

also, try benzsport.com in discussions/engine tuning.

good luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by young; 05-15-2002 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:31 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Yes!! Finally a C200K owner who decides to try the Kleemann pulley. Please keep me updated on how things turn out. Please!! And good luck with your installation. After you're done with it, please post pics, info, impressions on performance-gains etc.

Last edited by DtS; 05-15-2002 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-15-2002, 03:44 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
i never know what a pulley actually is can anyone answer?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:26 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by FrankW
i never know what a pulley actually is can anyone answer?
It's a metal wheel that drives the belt for a component, f.e. the compressor or the alternator, the servo-pump etc.
Old 05-15-2002, 04:39 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Originally posted by DtS

It's a metal wheel that drives the belt for a component, f.e. the compressor or the alternator, the servo-pump etc.
how does that makes the kompressor make more hps?...is it because of the turning speed of the new pulley?
Old 05-15-2002, 04:54 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by FrankW

how does that makes the kompressor make more hps?...is it because of the turning speed of the new pulley?
Yes, something like that!

Turning speed would be the same (the ring pully attaches to the crank pulley), but belt speed would be greater with a larger crank pulley-diameter, making the compressor-pulley spin faster (on the other end of thee belt), compressing more air and produce more HPs!

Last edited by DtS; 05-15-2002 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by DtS
Yes!! Finally a C200K owner who decides to try the Kleemann pully. Please keep me updated on how things turn out. Please!! And good luck with your installation. After you're done with it, please post pics, info, impressions on performance-gains etc.
Well there are only less than a handfull of C200K owners in this board and so I decided to be a guinea pig for all C200K owners . I might be the first one to try Kleemann pulley for C200K in Australia.

I'll try to use G-Tech before and after the upgrade, last time I've got mid-high 9 secs 0-100 kms (my car is an auto). If the claimed horse power increase is true (somewhere about 200 hp from 160 hp) then I'll be more than happy to get maybe low-mid 8 secs.

Most likely I'll get professional mechanic to do the job as I'm not confident that I can do it myself even with a help from a friend of mine. Hopefully I can do it this weekend and maybe post you guys the update next week.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:23 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
My car is also equipped with auto trans, and I clocked it for low to mid 9's from 0-100 as well. Glad you take your responsibility and mark the trails for the rest of us C200K owners, in installing the kleemann ring . I think it might be a good idea to have a professional to do the installation work, but it would still be nice if you could take some pictures during HIS work. I'm sure that would make more poeple than just me on this board happy.

Good luck, and keep me updated!!!!
Old 05-15-2002, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by DtS

Yes, something like that!

Turning speed would be the same (the ring pully attaches to the crank pully), but belt speed would be greater with a larger crank pully-diameter, making the compressor-pully spin faster (on the other end of thee belt), compressing more air and produce more HPs!
Kleemann said about changing the alternator pulley with a slightly bigger pulley and put the ring pulley on the top of the crank pulley. How can changing the alternator pulley (not the supercharger pulley) to a slightly bigger one makes the compressor spins faster?
Old 05-15-2002, 07:29 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Guess you need to change the alternator pulley to preserve the gear-rate between it and the crank-pulley, whereas the supercharger pulley is supposed to spin faster (wich it indeed will if you change the crank-pulley to a larger one, and leave the sc-pulley stock. Theoretically you could change the SC-pulley to a smaller one to acomplish the same effect...).
Old 05-15-2002, 07:40 AM

Originally posted by DtS
Guess you need to change the alternator pulley to preserve the gear-rate between it and the crank-pulley, whereas the supercharger pulley is supposed to spin faster (wich it indeed will if you change the crank-pulley to a larger one, and leave the sc-pulley stock. Theoretically you could change the SC-pulley to a smaller one to acomplish the same effect...).
Thanks for the info
btw DtS....have you checked your "user cp" on this board cos I sent you email last time about 1 month ago
Old 05-15-2002, 07:59 AM
DtS
MBWorld Fanatic!

C200 Kompressor
Originally posted by bajaiman

Thanks for the info
btw DtS....have you checked your "user cp" on this board cos I sent you email last time about 1 month ago
Oupps, guess I must have missed that. I'm so sorry! (Don't get how I could have missed it though..., I think this must have something to do with MBWorlds mail-server being down, wich it indeed was approx one month ago for a week or so.) Please mail me again!
Old 05-15-2002, 09:22 AM

2002 c230k
It can't be that hard to install the pulley ring. It is held on by 8 set screws. Just remove the belt, slide the ring on and tighten the set screws by alternating the sequence 180 degrees like tightening lug nuts i.e. 1-5-3-7-2-6-4-8. Replace the alternator pulley with the new one and put on the belt supplied. Done. Use something like Loctite the make sure the screws don't come loose.
The screws should be tight but not 'gorilla' tight as this will distrort the shape of the ring.
Old 05-15-2002, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by mdp c230k
It can't be that hard to install the pulley ring. It is held on by 8 set screws. Just remove the belt, slide the ring on and tighten the set screws by alternating the sequence 180 degrees like tightening lug nuts i.e. 1-5-3-7-2-6-4-8. Replace the alternator pulley with the new one and put on the belt supplied. Done. Use something like Loctite the make sure the screws don't come loose.
The screws should be tight but not 'gorilla' tight as this will distrort the shape of the ring.
Are you allowed to rotate the crank pulley while you are putting the ring pulley on the top of it??...if you can't how can you tighten the other 3-4 screws that located at the bottom half of the crank pulley. If you are allowed...is there any force that stop the crank pulley from rotating while the engine stop?. If you are allowed and no force to stop the pulley from rotating then putting the ring pulley on the crank pulley is quite easy to do....... Whats a Loctite anyway?

The other concern is to remove the alternator pulley as I may not have the right tools to do it. I'm affraid I'll get stuck halfway while changing the pulley so I need as much info possible before doing the installation.
Old 05-15-2002, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you put the car in neatral the engine should free spin. Put a socket on the bolt that holds the pulley with a breaker bar and turn it clockwise to rotate the crankshaft.
Old 05-15-2002, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by bajaiman
Whats a Loctite anyway?
Loctite is a brand name for a large line of adhesives and sealants. The specific product mdp c230k refers to is an adhesive which prevents nuts, bolt and screws from loosening. It is called Loctite Treadlocker. http://www.loctiteworld.com/usa/index.htm
Old 05-15-2002, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Harley's are held together Loctite? Otherwise the vibration would shake them apart! Get it at Pep Boys. Blue is for bolts you may want to remove some day, Red is for bolts that are high risk of coming loose and you'll have a tough time getting them off later. It's a liquid and a small amount goes a long way. If one of those set screws comes flying off the ring at 6,000rpm it would be like a bullet, slicing through anything in it's path. Probably the vibration would clue you in before major damage occurs. Follow Kleemann's torque specifications on those set screws.
Old 05-15-2002, 10:26 PM

I’ve decided to get professional help in installing the boost kit and I’ve made the booking on Friday. Not sure if doing the dyno is worth the money so I’m gonna have to trust my “Buttdyno” to feel any changes after the mods. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:31 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Pulley install

bajaiman-

I sent you an email detailing the install- this will help your mechanic.

As I mentioned there is not an installation manual (at the moment-working on a nice one however) . Its an easy proposition with the exception of the alternator pulley- you need an odd tool to remove the pulley. Its not an odd tool for a proper shop however. I would highly recommend getting it installed by a reputable shop with some late model German car experience (not Pep Boys for example).

Its OK to turn the crank when installing the ring- use a socket on a breaker bar.
Old 05-16-2002, 05:39 PM

2002 C230K, Silver, 6-speed, Evo, Roof, Leather, CD, Staggered C7 Wheels
Re: Pulley install

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
bajaiman-

Can you please post the installation procedure details.

I've talked to Sean today, he was great help.
Do you have any reps in Calgary area?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2002, 06:15 PM

Re: Pulley install

Originally posted by KLEEMANN
bajaiman-

As I mentioned there is not an installation manual (at the moment-working on a nice one however) . Its an easy proposition with the exception of the alternator pulley- you need an odd tool to remove the pulley. Its not an odd tool for a proper shop however. I would highly recommend getting it installed by a reputable shop with some late model German car experience (not Pep Boys for example).

Its OK to turn the crank when installing the ring- use a socket on a breaker bar.
Thanks Kleemann, I indeed received your instruction manual and I have decided to get professional mechanic (European cars mechanics for Porsche, BMW and Merc), when I told him the steps he sounded he knew what I want and knew the steps.

Cheers.
Old 05-16-2002, 07:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Re: Re: Pulley install

Originally posted by VoyagerDude

Can you please post the installation procedure details.

I've talked to Sean today, he was great help.
Do you have any reps in Calgary area?

Thanks!
No reps in Calgary at the moment. You can always purchase the system directly from us an have in installed by a shop like bajaiman has done.
Old 05-23-2002, 08:25 PM
Almost a Member!

C230K Coupe
bajaiman,

I realize prices may be different in Australia but would you consider the price-to-performance ratio for this mod worth it? Just wanted to know if you are happy with the end result. Also, wouldn't additional compression mean more engine wear? Probably not enough to worry about, I guess.
Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by dontwakemeup
bajaiman,

I realize prices may be different in Australia but would you consider the price-to-performance ratio for this mod worth it? Just wanted to know if you are happy with the end result. Also, wouldn't additional compression mean more engine wear? Probably not enough to worry about, I guess.
Well if you read my other post sometimes last week in regards of the results of the pulley upgrade you would know that the pulley upgrade was definitely worth for the money.
As for reliability I think I'm taking my chances here.... but from I read from other posts that engine wear impact would be very little ..... thats what others said....so I'm hoping that they're right on this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help to install Kleemann ring pulley