C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Windshield moisture condensation in Florida

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C320
Smile Windshield moisture condensation in Florida

My '02 C320 develops condensation on the outside of the windshield (along the bottom in two spots - just to the right and to the left of center) when I'm running the air conditioning. I suspect that it's due to the high humidity of Florida but I thought I'd pass it by you experts. Incidentally, I have a friend that has a C240 with the same problem and yes, I've tried closing the top valve wheel. Even with this closed some cold air still comes out near the windshield and the condensation then will form outside. Naturally, this rarely happens during the day while the sun is out but after dark in the early evening when the relative humidity in Florida begins to climb ---- there it is!! Any suggestions??
Old 09-19-2004, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
same thing happened to me, when I lived in MIAMI. Since I moved back to California, never had it happen again. I do remember that PepBoys sold some spray stuff in a bottle that would prevent this condensation. I can't remember what it was called though. That seemed to work most of the time. Wish I could remember the name.

Old 09-19-2004, 10:54 PM
GGM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
Had the same problem

I had the same problem on my '03 C240. I'm in Orlando. The dealer replaced the center vent with one without a wheel. No air blows from the center vent now and no condensation problems. My dealer knew about the problem and the fix. Apparently, they have had a lot of complaints about it. It was fixed under warranty. Hope this helps.

GGM
Plain C240
No mods
Just luxury
Old 09-20-2004, 01:20 PM

2002 C230
Quick workaround but not ideal - Take it out of auto mode. Turn the vent selecter knob on the panel to a position that turns off all top vents. Not near my car now, but I believe anywhere between 3 and 9 o'clock.

Beats constantly using the wipers to clear the condensation.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
Originally Posted by TampaMB
My '02 C320 develops condensation ...this rarely happens during the day while the sun is out but after dark in the early evening when the relative humidity in Florida begins to climb ---- there it is!!
Sort of like a hurricane? (sorry....couldn't let that one float by without a chuckle)

There was a dealer installed fix for this. The center vent and underlying baffle is replaced with a ducted vent that redirects cool air toward the passenger compartment, rather than directly at the glass.

A word of caution though....some people who waited to get this fixed lost the center duct control (wheel). If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of info about "fogging" and "center dash vent" issues.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:09 PM

2002 C320
So this baffle fix elimiates the center wheel, air blowing on windshield (that's good) but also eliminates the air from the center coming to the passenger??? Please confirm, Floridaians would die from the heat if my vision is correct!!
Old 09-20-2004, 08:10 PM

c240
i would say that the vents along the bottom of the windshield arent completely closing and when you run the ac it cools down the windshield enough to cause condensation on the outside of the windshield due to florida's high humidity. like right know i have a problem with my vents where the bottom vents stay open all the time regardless. I'm freezing my toes off

Last edited by elchinocache; 09-20-2004 at 08:12 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2004, 08:46 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by TampaMB
So this baffle fix elimiates the center wheel, air blowing on windshield (that's good) but also eliminates the air from the center coming to the passenger??? Please confirm, Floridaians would die from the heat if my vision is correct!!
It does not eliminate air coming from the center vents in the dash. It just eliminates the air blowing on the windshield when you don't have the defroster on.

I live in Orlando. I am not hot without the center wheel. But I no longer have a condensation problem.

Apparently the center wheel allowed you to mix cooler outside air with center vent air. It was meant to have cooler air coming out of the center vents when the heat was on and you wanted cooler air on your face. Problem was, there was no off position. There was always outside air coming in. Some of it went to the windshield. And as you know, in the evenings and mornings in humid central Florida, that creates a problem.

I found this out after an earlier poster mentioned that this had been addressed in an earlier thread. So I did the recommended search. The earlier thread also talked about the vent/wheel being eliminated part way through the 2003 run. Mine must have been built early in the 2003 run. The 2004 C320 that I had as a loaner car last week didn't have the center wheel.

All I know is that without the center wheel I never have fogging problems here in Orlando any more.

Hope this helps.

GGM
Old 09-20-2004, 08:52 PM
GGM

2008 E350
Originally Posted by GGM
I had the same problem on my '03 C240. I'm in Orlando. The dealer replaced the center vent with one without a wheel. No air blows from the center vent now and no condensation problems. My dealer knew about the problem and the fix. Apparently, they have had a lot of complaints about it. It was fixed under warranty. Hope this helps.

GGM
Plain C240
No mods
Just luxury
TampaMB--
I didn't mean that no air blows from the center vents in the dash. I meant that no air blows from that triangle shaped vent or the defroster vents like it used to before the fix.

Sorry for the confusion.

GGM
Old 09-20-2004, 08:55 PM

2002 C320
Thanks GGM and to the others that put me on the right track. I'll see if my dealer in Tampa is as smart as Orlando's.