C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a little more than 10,000 miles on our 2005 and thus far it has been reliable. The only unscheduled service was for a cracked hydraulic hose that needed to be replaced before delivery. Since then, no problems. It rides and drives quite nicely, and we've averaged more than 30 mpg. On the other hand, we got this car because M-B had to buy our unreliable 2002 back. That car was a disaster.
Is it the best value for your money in a new car? Probably not. You'd probably get more value from an Accord, or something similar. You'd get even more value for the money from a good used car, I suspect. We bought a Mercedes because of the reputation for safety. Others buy one for other reasons. If you value something about the car highly enough to want to pay the premium, then it's probably a good choice for you. And despite our experience, the odds of getting a lemon aren't that high. Ultimately, though, it's just a car, like any other. About 95% of its value lies in the transportation it provides, and everything else - image, looks, whatever - is maybe 5%.
Good luck with your choice
Old 11-16-2004, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Welcome!

I've had my car for a little over three months now and I love it! I have Pewter exterior and Ash interior. For options, I have the sunroof package and the auto. transmission. I had the dealer install the Sirius Satellite radio (which I also love).

I would go for the '05 model year because of the cosmetic changes that MB did from previous years.

I hope you enjoy your purchase!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:21 PM

'05 C230wz SS Black on Black
Mikey -

I shopped the BMWs, the G35 Coupe, and many other cars when I finally settled on the 2005 C230 Sport Sedan. This is my 1st MB. I picked up a brand new black on charcoal model. I opted for the Sunroof package, Xenon light package, and the HK stereo - and the 60/40 rear seat split.

I gotta tell you --- this car rawks! I spent around $34k for the car in Dallas. All of my friends think I bought a $50k ride. It drives awesome, feels awesome, and looks incredible.

I have just put 13,000 miles on the car in just over 5 months.

Only problem I have had with the car is the front Michelin Sport tires. I bought the car in May 2004. All Michelin's tires put on the cars before June 2004 have had some problems. I am working with the dealership to get new ones. Definitely make sure the car was made after July to get the correct tire match.

FYI - you can still find some 2004 models on the dealer lots. The 2005 in a complete interior redesign with a few other tweaks. Only kicker for the 2004 is that it comes with free scheduled maintenance. Only comes to around $1200+ bucks over 3 years. Considering the depreciation value of buying a 1yr older car when the 2005 calendar year is right around the corner - I would stick with the '05 model and just pay out of pocket for the maintenance.

best of luck shopping.

- Trace
Old 11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
Guest0001

Originally Posted by MBMikey4
Hey Everbody,New to the Site have been checking it out for about a month.Just wanted to see about getting some thought's from owner's, any year of the C230K Sport Sedan.What if any problem's have you had,any major problem's,how has your dealer service been and most importantly how happy are you with your vehicle.I am thinking about buying an 05 C230K Sport Sedan with 5-speed auto,Sunroof package,6-disc CD-Changer.Other vehicle's I am looking at are 05 Saab 9-3Aero Sport Sedan,05 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan and 05 Acura TL Sedan.Thought's on these vehicles also would be appreciated.I am a little leary of purchasing a European vehicle after reading an article I believe it was in USA Today about the poor reliability of the German Make's.The Japanese make's scored very highly.Thank's to all those that respond.Sorry about the long post.

MBMikey4
If reliability is high on your list go with a premium japanese brand. With more and more technology added to these cars they have an advantage in that aspect. With Mercedes it has to do with luck. People here have bad cars and people have good cars. Its about 50-50 chance of getting a dud from what I have seen here.

However If you value design appeal and solid driving feel than there is really no comparison but to go the german route. I know this has been said thousands of times buts its true. You actually feel like driving a premium car every time you are behind the wheel. You have to go the dealer a little more often but that is the cast off if youre not too picky about some minor annoyances.

Value would go toward the TL definitely. Nothing really stands about the car but its probably the best all around car under 35,000.

Performance per dollar you would have to take the G35 Sedan. The power, handling, looks of this car is amazing. One of the few japanese cars that I would consider purchasing. Very nice job. The 05 interior for the G is vastly improved as well as the Horsepower

Its almost 2 years since I have my C and its been trouble-free for the most part. I am very happy with the experience and build quality.

The choice is up to you. Buy what takes care of YOUR needs. And disregard biased surveys. Goodluck.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
need buying advice, going to dealer next week

Im going to Fletcher jones next week, to buy a c320 sport sedan . i wanna get silver/black, auto trans, xenons, sunroof pack, heated seats and cd changer.

i have gone on edmunds and seen the invoice prices for all these parts and the car. when i start to wheel and deal with the salesman, should i start under the invoice price. ?

whats teh best way to go about doing this. I will be paying cash for the car.

i know that the dealer price is about 44000 but theres no way i want to pay that much.
please give me advice as to how i should approach a purchase.
thanks
Old 11-18-2004, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
i didn't bargain because i had special ordered the car

after the sale, the dealer will try to sell you other package deals for examples lo-jack security system, tire protection plan, perma-plate detailing, etc... because I wasn't expecting it, i fell for the perma-plate detailing. I also got the tire protection plan but i think that was worth it. the perma-plate thing was a rip off. it came out good but it's way over priced.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vdubpower
Im going to Fletcher jones next week, to buy a c320 sport sedan . i wanna get silver/black, auto trans, xenons, sunroof pack, heated seats and cd changer.

i have gone on edmunds and seen the invoice prices for all these parts and the car. when i start to wheel and deal with the salesman, should i start under the invoice price. ?

whats teh best way to go about doing this. I will be paying cash for the car.

i know that the dealer price is about 44000 but theres no way i want to pay that much.
thanks
Does it have to be a new car ?
Old 11-19-2004, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes i am going to buy a new car, 2005

please let me know how i should go about this
Old 11-19-2004, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I would not pay more than $41K for that car. Less is OK

Step 1. Don't go to Fletcher Jones. Try Laguna Niguel or HOI
Step 2. Don't wheel & deal. Make your offer and stick to it.
Step 3. Have your cash or financing ready before arriving at the dealer.
Step 4. Drive home in your new car.

The whole process should take no more than 1 hour from the time you walk in until the time you drive out.

Enjoy...
Old 11-19-2004, 02:01 AM
Banned

Go pick it up in Germany and ask for one of those cars that were built to order and cancelled. Should see a tidy saving of around 8%-15% below list. You get to drive all over Europe and then come home to a new car.
Old 11-19-2004, 02:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow 41 , 42, i thoght people were geting them under 40,

ok, so why not fletcher jones,
just curious wht makes teh others better, different,
caliber is also close to me

my pops has bought 2 s classes from FJ before tho, shouldnt tht help
Old 11-19-2004, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You might just want to search this forum. Someone already has posted the successful steps to negotiations numerous times.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:29 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
I only know HOI sells their C for $1500 under invoice. That was about month and half ago when I talked to Mark.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:33 AM

05 CLK 320
Yep call Mark from HOI, also I think bullwinkle talked about car neogtiations a while back.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 PM

Same boat

I am in the same position (think I found a buyer for my current car) but going to get a 05 C230 SS (auto, lighting, entertainment, sunroof).

What do you guys think of WI Simonson? Should I be looking at Fletcher or HOI over them? I'd like to do everything over the phone (pending a inspection when I arrive) since I live in Bakersfield, CA.

I also plan on leasing, so I am not sure if certain dealerships will try to screw you more then others on the leasing...
Old 11-21-2004, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what is i do this

call the local dealers, in so cal, tell them exactly what i want, colors, features, and tell them i have 39000 cash, i dont want to haggle, or hassle, just whoever has the car, ill come, check it out and buy,

do u think being that direct is good i dea, thanks
Old 11-21-2004, 06:28 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
what is i do this

call the local dealers, in so cal, tell them exactly what i want, colors, features, and tell them i have 39000 cash, i dont want to haggle, or hassle, just whoever has the car, ill come, check it out and buy,

never tell them how much budget you have and never tell them you don't want to haggle.

best way is to tell them you want the car and can buy now, but you want their best offer, no bs or you'll take it somewhere else.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
what is i do this

Being direct has worked for me. I bought my last 2 cars at MB Laguna Niguel and knew what price I would be paying before I ever got to the dealer. If you have the money ready & know what you want and what you are willing to pay, it's not a difficult process.

When I get to the dealer, I tell them I'm leaving in 1 hr and if the car & the papers are not ready, I'll be leaving without.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
not only the dealership, but a good salespaerson who doesnt look like cal worthington, and treat you like one, hard to find.

anaheim drew has also posted tips on buying a car.

i would take into consideration other dealers, but remember, dont travel too far. alot of the dealers now have preferred stickers in the windshield for people who bought that car at that specific dealer. then when you go in for service, if you want a free loaner, or that free wash, at home oil changes, flatbed service pickup and those perks we all enjoy, you have to have the preferred sticker. so is the money you save, say $500, $1000 or so worth the extra distance for the free loaners, car washes, etc. money is money and i understand that, but i wouldnt go out out of my way to save $1000, to travel an extra, say 20 miles to take my car in for service. if the closest dealer, had shanty salesmen, service, etc. well then id take my business elsewhere. but if they have good service, id probably still buy my car there. you only buy the car once, you'll take it for service more than that!

my car was in for 5 days for a service B, front brake pads, and a couple other minor warranty issues. had i not had a loaner i would have been pissed. i lucked out, i bought my car at Mercedes-Benz of San Diego, but moved from SD last Dec to Claremont. now i take my car to Penske Claremont. they at first wouldnt give me a loaner but when i told them MBSD was a Penske dealership, which the service dept. verrifed with manament, they honored that and gave me a Penske Preferred Sticker.

Last edited by CitronC230K_03; 11-22-2004 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 11:00 AM

2002 C230 Coupe
Help - buying a C230 Coupe for my fiancee

Hi All, I thought I'd ask your advice. I am looking to buy a C230 Kompressor Coupe... but I want to buy one with Navigation (COMMAND system.) I'm looking for a used car based on price. Would you all recommend buying a used C230 with the COMMAND system already installed? Or is it more price-effective to buy a used car and have Steve at MBENZNL.com add the COMMAND system? (From this forum I have read very good things about Steve... unfortunately he's in Chicago and I'm in California...)

Thanks for any input!

Bob
Old 11-25-2004, 12:33 PM

'05 C230 coupe
well, I suppose either way, you *are* paying for the command, so it would be less of a hassle to buy a car that's got it installed already. if you end up not being able to find one at all, then getting installed is always an option
Old 11-25-2004, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 C320wz
actually, it's "COMAND", not "COMMAND"

COMAND = CO (c*ckpit) MAN (management and) D (data system)

source: COMAND operator's manual

Old 11-25-2004, 04:10 PM

Lol they replaced the o in "****pit" with an *! Haha. Well, I dunno if you should be buying your fiancee a new car before tying the knot. But I wish you luck in your engagement!
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 Citron Green C230KMT
you can always have COMAND installed after the fact like many of us have had done.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:58 PM
Guest0001

Your going to have an awfully hard time finding Comands in C-Class's. So If I were you pick up the car that has the options and color you want and then you can easily add Comand later. Even Bi-Xenons can be add later. Steve makes trips to Cali often and his work is first rate. If Steve cant make it, you can order it from him and there are other mbworlders that can help you with the install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W203/CL203 Car Buyer's Guide - All you want to know and consider