C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Looking for second opinion on issue diagnosis

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230k
Question Looking for second opinion on issue diagnosis

I have a MB C230k from 2005.
Around 8 months ago the front left turn signal would not blink or turn off. It would stay on and solid even after turning off the car and removing the key. I disconencted it so it would not drain my battery and have been without a turn signal ever since.
Then around 2 months ago, the right turn signal got the identical issue. I tried replacing the bulbs and no solution. AutoZone tried the same thing and had no luck.

About 3 days ago, my right headlight (low beam) stopped turning on. I have aftermarket LEDs with a decoder so I figured the issue was there. Got home, replaced the LED and still no light. Replace the decoder and still nothing. Swapped the light from the left side and still nothing. Got a multimeter, measured Left headlight connector output at 11,9V. The right headlight connector output ranges from 9v to 10,5v. This explains why the light no longer turns on.

I have verified my battery is still good at a steady 12v output. I have checked for missing or burnt fuses.

After doing some searching online I have come to the conclusion that the issue is the front SAM. Before I spend $600+ on a repair I just wanted to get a second opinion. I do not care for turn signals, but I do work night shift, so having no headlights is a problem. Especially if the left one stops working.

Thanks.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:18 PM

Received 134 Likes on 125 Posts
2005 C230 Sport Sedan-6 Speed Manual
I had a similar problem with the turn signal and replacing the front SAM fixed it. Based on my experience I think it is likely that your problem is the front SAM.

My experience

I think your $600 cost estimate is high. I replaced my SAM twice. The first time was with a used unit for $20 or $25. When the used part failed I decided that a new unit was in order. That was pricey, but far less than $600. If I recall correctly it was $225 or $250. The job is tedious, but not complicated.

Good luck.

Last edited by KevinH2000; 01-13-2022 at 11:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ZzyzxFox (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 02:36 AM

2005 c230k
Originally Posted by KevinH2000
I had a similar problem with the turn signal and replacing the front SAM fixed it. Based on my experience I think it is likely that your problem is the front SAM.

My experience

I think your $600 cost estimate is high. I replaced my SAM twice. The first time was with a used unit for $20 or $25. When the used part failed I decided that a new unit was in order. That was pricey, but far less than $600. If I recall correctly it was $225 or $250. The job is tedious, but not complicated.

Good luck.
Thank you, I read trough your linked post and that's basically confirming the issue. Now comes the difficult part of locating a SAM for this model. My main concern is it will require programming. I do not know of any mechanic near me that can do that, and I most certainly do not have the money to buy a reprogamming computer (whatever its called).

The only one I have found is on ebay and is USD 120, all the scrapyards near me have no more SAMs. Please advise if you know where to find a cheap one, thanks!
Old 01-14-2022, 07:14 AM

Replacing my defective SAM with a used SAM turned out to be a short-term fix. Remember, you will be replacing one 17-years old electronic part with another old part. Unless you are planning to keep the car for less than a year, you will likely need to replace it again.

A new SAM is available for $210 I recommend that you seriously consider spending the additional $90 and avoid having to do this job twice.

The new SAM I bought came set up for an automatic transmission. I had to code it for my car because I have a manual transmission. If your car is an automatic you may not need to program it.
The following users liked this post:
ZzyzxFox (01-14-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 09:33 AM

2005 c230k
Thanks, will follow your advice and buy a new one instead. Going to drive to a nearby city first to ask a MB Dealer how much it would cost to replace with them first.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:57 PM

The dealer may charge close to $600. I understand that DIY isn’t feasible for everyone. If you prefer or need to have someone do the work for you, I suggest that you develop a relationship with a good independent mechanic who has access to Mercedes diagnostic equipment. Post a question with a title like “Recommendation needed - Mercedes repair (your location.). You can expect to receive several recommendations unless you live at distance from a population center. Even if you DIY the front SAM, you may need someone for more complex jobs.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:15 AM

2005 c230k
Kevin, thanks for all the info. I recently got back to working on the c230k after forgetting how much fun it was.

I swapped in a new front SAM without issue, and it fixed the main problems I was having.

My issue is with the coding. Things such as moonroof controls, reverse indicators, front 12v connector, do not work.

I had to replace the c230k SAM with a c55 SAM since there was no c230k SAM available.

I have tried researching on how to code it myself but I am stumped. All I could really find was I need a system called ,,Star diagnosis Xentry" , and this is some hardware + software that costs USD 1000+. If I were to buy this system, is it as simple as ,,copy pasting" the data from the old SAM to the new one? or is there actual knowledge needed? is there a place to rent this tool?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2022, 11:27 PM

Is the Front SAM you bought new or used?

For information about using the STAR system to program the Front SAM go to post #16 in This Thread. That shows the sequence of screens I accessed when I changed the reverse-light programming on my replacement front SAM so that it would work with my manual transmission. I didn't see menus for any of the other components you are having trouble with. Are you sure you aren't having some other issue and that the SAM is not defective?

I share a "clone"/Chinese knock off STAR system with another board member. I forget exactly what we paid for it. We split the cost. I think it was about $300. I find the cloned system I use to be glitchy and it can take multiple attempts to make it work. Another issue is that I am teaching myself how to use it and I may be making mistakes due to lack of knowledge. There are also many owners who suggest that the quality of the clones is not good.

It may be better to find a good independent shop to program your SAM than to invest money to buy one and then use your time to learn how to use. For a great discussion of the systems available, Check this thread on BenzWorld. After reading the thread, you will have a better idea of whether you want to DIY or just pay someone.

Good luck.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:25 PM

2005 c230k
It's used, I was unable to find a new one in my country, had to order it from Lebanon and even then could not find the specific one to this car.

However based off googling, the SAM is hardware identical, just coded differently.

I was looking at those STAR systemmes on Aliexpress and they definitely look interesting. I might just have to buy one, haven't been able to find anyone near me that would let me either rent theirs, or let me pay them to program it for me.

I called around some local shops and only one is able to re-code the SAM. They are asking USD 200 upfront as a diagnostic fee, and then USD 180/hour for actually re-coding the unit. So at this point it might just be better for me to buy the tool and learn to do it myself.

Thanks for all the help
Old 12-06-2022, 12:26 PM

I initially replaced my front SAM with a used one. The used one failed in about a year. The components in our cars are now at least 17 years old. Electronic components seem to be a weak point in our cars. It is possible that your used SAM is defective.

I hope you are able resolve the problems you are having with obtaining suitable parts and repair services.

Good luck.