C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Kleemannized

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
Alloy is good for 8hp more at the rear wheels so it's worth waiting a little longer for. A complete pulley replacement is a little better in that you can return the car to stock in case anything goes wrong and need warranttee work. The ring leaves tell-tale indentations where the screws pressed against the pulley.

What is involved in removing the Crank Pulley? Is drilling required or is it simply unbolted and replaced like the Alt pulley?

Reason I ask is I was leaning toward the Ring vs. the Alloy Pulley because no Crank Pulley removal was neccessary. Just a simple Alt pulley replacement and attachment of the Ring around the existing Crank Pulley, add the new belt and drive away happy.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't imagine that replacing the entire pulley vs. the ring would take any longer. There is one bolt and washer that holds the pulley in place. According to Kleemann, put the car in 6th gear, put the parking brake on and using a large breaker bar remove the bolt, take the old pulley off, put the new pulley on. He said if you have an automatic then you need a special tool to keep the crank from spinning while you take the bolt off. Evosport quoted me the same amount of labor to do either method. Besides the HP, the big advantage is that if you run into problems and need warranttee work then put the old pulley back in. With the ring you will have 8 indentations on the pulley where the set screws were and may be obvious to the tech working on your car. Also, I have the fear that a set screw on the ring can work it's way lose and cause damage although unlikely.
Old 05-17-2002, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Thanks Buellwinkle.

I believe the Alt needs a 22mm, does anyone know what the Crank bolt size is?

Well now I guess I need to wait for someone to make the Alloy Pulley available, Kleemann or the as yet unnamed (Unknown) Pulley maker.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:39 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
can the pully be installed by yourself? or do u have to bring it somewhere how hard is it to do and how long would it take an average person?
Old 05-18-2002, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
To remove the pulley you need a 'gear puller' which is a 3 pronged grapling hook looking thing with a center screw that holds the pulley by the outer edge with the arms and evenly pulls it off with the screw being turned. You need a shallow one to fit in the space between the block and the radiator. Any MB mechanic will have one that fits in the space given. The ring is easy to install as I described earlier and IMHO the set screws will leave very small marks that won't be a red flag for most mechanics. The ring is do-it-yourselfable if you have ever worked on a car before the whole pulley is too if you have the gear puller.