C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Questions about Mods and Resale value?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about Mods and Resale value?

I am thinking of the following mods for my 2005 C230K SS.

1) Two tone leather interior approx price $2,500

2) New wheels approx price $2,000

3) Aftermarket rear trunk wing $650 (painted and installed)

4) Down the line, I would like to do some engine modifications. I do not want to do these too soon because I do not want to void the warranty. Approx price $3,000.

Other ods and ends $1,000, for a total price of $9150.

My question is, if I do these mods, how much can I expect to get back in the future on say a trade in of this vehicle. Assuming I can get Kelly Blue book value for a non modified vehicle, how much of my $9150 can I expect to get back from a dealer? Will they even consider the mods at all and give you some value?

Anyone have any experience with this type of scenario?

Thanks for any responses.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Typically people who buy used don't like modded cars, specially MBs. My guess is that you will be lucky to get the regular KBB price. The best you can do, and many on the forum have, is put the car back to stock and have a sale to recoupe as much as possible. Odds are some stuff you won't be able to remove or sell easily like the wing and leather seats (aftermarket leather doesn't hold up well so most people won't buy it second hand anyway) and wheels with a couple of years of pits, chips and curb damage may not have that much appeal either.

In other words, do it because you want to, not because it will be worth anything in a few years.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
In other words, do it because you want to, not because it will be worth anything in a few years.

Slim chances on keeping much of the cost, unless you know people that also want the mods. When I buy a new car, I just consider it a total writeoff especially with resale values these days. When it comes time to sell, you'll probably forget about all the money you've already spent anyway. So before you mod, think if you'll actually enjoy it, and if so, absolutely go for it. But if it's just a passing interest and you're tight on money, be more selective with your mods.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
Well said Mr. B.
Old 09-28-2004, 12:55 PM
Almost a Member!

You can expect that all of those mods will likely decrease the resale value of your car by $1,000 to $3,000.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:06 PM

2002 E55, Black on Black
Originally Posted by Nickle
You can expect that all of those mods will likely decrease the resale value of your car by $1,000 to $3,000.
Exactly. Engine mods are the biggest offenders, (warranty voiding, driving car outside manufacturers tolerances, plus it is an indication to many of someone who drives their car very hard and very fast, perhaps on a track).
Next would be the more personal type mods to draw attention to yourself (neon lights, big spoilers, funky paint jobs). These mods will turn off a large number of buyers in the market for a used MB, and also indicate many the same things as mentioned above).
The safest are small things or interior upgrades (custom leather if done very tastefully, burl shift ***, aluminum pedals, etc.) These mods may not hurt much at all at resale, particularly if they are genuine MB parts.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by r_liebo
Exactly. Engine mods are the biggest offenders, (warranty voiding, driving car outside manufacturers tolerances, plus it is an indication to many of someone who drives their car very hard and very fast, perhaps on a track).
Next would be the more personal type mods to draw attention to yourself (neon lights, big spoilers, funky paint jobs). These mods will turn off a large number of buyers in the market for a used MB, and also indicate many the same things as mentioned above).
The safest are small things or interior upgrades (custom leather if done very tastefully, burl shift ***, aluminum pedals, etc.) These mods may not hurt much at all at resale, particularly if they are genuine MB parts.
My thoughts exactly. I for one would never buy a car that has been modified cause of the reasons mentioned above. But I've known some people that won't get turned off buy mod cars, but then again these cars were Honda Civics & Integras. Kids like those supped-up cars anyway cause they don't have to shell out money to make their rice rockets go faster.

But if you're talking about a mod MB, then my guess is that you won't have much return on your investment.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
a car is NEVER an investment !
Old 09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Almost a Member!

I am fully aware that a car is not an investment. However, when I sell my car, it retains some value. My question was, can I get expect to get any portion of my investment back on the mods?

Old 09-28-2004, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 C320ss, 2005 Ford F150 Supercrew, GSXR,
Originally Posted by hanke
I am fully aware that a car is not an investment. However, when I sell my car, it retains some value. My question was, can I get expect to get any portion of my investment back on the mods?

Your question was answered but let me make it clear.......
If you see an accessory that is sold a the dealer and you add it, expect a portion of your investment to be returned most of the time...... If you add AMG wheels today at $2000 it will add less than $750 to your cars value if you traded it in next month.

Last edited by Anaheim_Drew; 09-28-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Technically, the only way the wheels would add any value would be if they are chrome. Chrome is what makes the distinction between allow wheels and premium wheels on KBB. It's strange but some ugly 16" chrome stockies will be a KBB add, while a set of silver 19" HRE's would not be an add.

As for the other mods on the car, don't consider them an investment, consider them an expense. If you were to sell your car independently, you might be able to find a buyer that is interested in the mods and willing to pay a little extra for them, but if you're considering trading in to a dealer, don't expect to get one penny for anything you've changed. As has been said they might even give you less to cover their expenses to put it back to stock as most dealer buyers of Mercedes do not want to buy a modded car.
Old 09-28-2004, 03:09 PM
Guest0001

If you are going to do all those mods, keep your car for a LONG time. Otherwise you are just pissing away money. If you decide to part out you will get maybe half of the money back that you originally payed. I say do the mods and enjoy the hobby, but dont look at it from a resale value point of view. Just have fun!
Old 09-28-2004, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
i know when i go to sell my car i will not get my $$$ back for the mods i spent. i figure ill have a hrd enough time because of the color. but i bought this car with the options, color etc. because i wanted it. i am modding my car and spending money on items i want. not thinking what someone else will want one day. i mod my car because i drive it, and i enjoy them. i could really care less what others want. when the time comes, im going to take a hit on the mods. unless i sell them piece by peice. though right now, im planning on keeping this car a long time.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by hanke

Of the 35k plus I have spent in the last 2+years modifyin, remodifying, unmodifying my car I am luck to maybe get back around 10K(last time I put my parts for sale)but thats ONLY because I was willing to part out my car. Like everyone said a car is NOT an investment, consider it wasted money unless their is a real market for them afterwards.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:27 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
more mods = less resale value