C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Roof Rack Thread for W203/S203/CL203 & bike/ski mounts

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-07-2005, 06:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
pictures of bike rack on C-class please.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 230K
Originally Posted by anonymouse
I've got a Kona Caldera and Da Boy has got a Kona Makena and I have no desire to take off the front wheels. Plus I have an old Nishiki that I converted into a track bike but I really want to buy one of these:
You're after my heart with that track bike. I had a Bianchi track bike for about ten years, but that was back in the day when only old people had Mercedes. Anyway, I do like the Yakima feet better, but Thule is much more Euro! Here are my bikes:

Clickable pictures for our dial-up freinds
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 PM

Audi 225 TT.w203 sedan.Bmw 318tiCali.Ed.VW Jetta vr6
Originally Posted by Sauceboy01
pictures of bike rack on C-class please.

anyone???
Old 12-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
from the German MB site

Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 PM

Dia Blk '06 C230 w/3 pedals
Originally Posted by carsandkites
You're after my heart with that track bike. I had a Bianchi track bike for about ten years, but that was back in the day when only old people had Mercedes. Anyway, I do like the Yakima feet better, but Thule is much more Euro! Here are my bikes:

Clickable pictures for our dial-up freinds
LMAO

How do you like those eggbeaters? I have mallets on my mountain bike and was contemplating putting eggbeaters on my Nishiki but, being an old school kinda fella, I still am not used to clipless and still feel more comfortable with clips & straps (I regularly bust my azz on the trail, usually at the trailhead)
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 230K
How do you like those eggbeaters?
I like them. The only issue is that they put wear on the soles of my shoes (after three years). I think I'm going to get Time pedals next. Same sort of retension, but a little bigger platform.
being an old school kinda fella, I still am not used to clipless and still feel more comfortable with clips & straps
clips and straps on a mountain bike?! Now that is old school. It sounds like you have not found a type of clipless that will work for you. Look into some Candy pedals from Crank Brothers.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by carsandkites
I like them. The only issue is that they put wear on the soles of my shoes (after three years). I think I'm going to get Time pedals next. Same sort of retension, but a little bigger platform.

clips and straps on a mountain bike?! Now that is old school. It sounds like you have not found a type of clipless that will work for you. Look into some Candy pedals from Crank Brothers.

I just have to train myself to twist my foot cause my first impulse is to lift and slide back which of course does nothing and I end up on my side. But i figure once I get used to those mallets

I'll put some of teh eggbeaters or the candiies on the nishiki (scary thought). But when I buy that Bianchi track bike, there is no way in HELL I'm gonna risk it. Ole Skule Rules!!!!
Old 12-09-2005, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
I had a Thule roof mount and so did my brother in law. I would buy that over the OEM any day.. .just feels sturdier... maybe it's just me though. Good thread btw! I was thinking about getting a trunk mount this time..... saw the Yakima at local shop and was thinking about picking it up but wanted to see a Thule first. The owner of the shop was saying the Thule model he usually stocks only held 2 bikes while the Yakima held 3, for the same price. I only need it to hold 2 anyways so that wasn't a factor for me.
Old 12-10-2005, 10:10 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 230K
Originally Posted by electromethod
I was thinking about getting a trunk mount this time.....
Trunk racks are harder on your bike and your car especially if you carry two bikes. On top of that, you can't get into the trunk with the bikes on the car. The good part is that you don't have to reach as high and it quiet with the sun roof open. For me, it is not a good trade off.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Honda Grom
Some of you are lucky enough to go riding every weekend. For me, the chance to do so is a rare treat. That's why I don't want to get the roof rack. A roof rack won't get used enough by me to justify putting it up (I personally don't like the way it looks ). The trunk mount is great for someone like me...... who hardly opens his trunk anyways and has the ability to just leave the trunk rack inside the trunk until it's needed If I was taking more than 1-2 bikes I would just use my truck.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:24 PM

The only trunk rack I would even consider is the Saris Bones.

anything else shifts too much and you'll end up with those nasty looking rub marks on your trunk. But it is not the most compact rack in the world. Looks like I am going with a MB unit since it seems neither Thule nor Yakima make racks for the sedan

or maybe the info on the site was wrong
Old 12-10-2005, 07:54 PM

'05 C230WZ / '01 Honda VFR 800
roof rack noise

The only trunk rack I would even consider is the Saris Bones.

anything else shifts too much and you'll end up with those nasty looking rub marks on your trunk. But it is not the most compact rack in the world. Looks like I am going with a MB unit since it seems neither Thule nor Yakima make racks for the sedan

or maybe the info on the site was wrong
If you have a sunroof you will not want to open it anymore with all the noise you'll get from a roof rack.
I'm also in Maryland (and have been a road racer and MTB racer for a long time-Avalon Racing & Team Snow Valley) and even tough it is sometimes way too hot or too cold to open the roof, in April-June and Sept-Nov that sunroof stays open all the time.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 230K
Looks like I am going with a MB unit since it seems neither Thule nor Yakima make racks for the sedan or maybe the info on the site was wrong
They have not yet tested a 2006. The roof is the same as a 2005, so they both make racks to fit.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:08 PM

C-Class Roof/Ski Rack

Hi Guys-

Anyone here have the MB roof-rack system for their C-Class. It’s $268 for the main rack from MB and then another $100 for the Ski/Snowboard rack. Has anyone used this system or something similar (Thule, etc.) and have any comments on it?

Ease of installation, any damage to roof/paint?

I did a search but did not come up with any C-Class info.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Not trying to be smart here.....but why would you want to put a roof rack on your car?If the ski's can't fit throught the pass-through why not just rent them when you get there ?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:38 PM

Not trying to be smart here either. I want to put a roof rack on my car to put skis/snowboards on top. That's the whole point of a roof rack, to put things on your roof, correct?

There are 4 of us going on the Ski-Trip, 2 of us have our own skis/snowboard. If I put the seat down and pass them through, the back seat will be cramped.

I'm not going rent ski's when I own them, that's the whole point in buying skis, is so you don't rent.
Old 02-09-2006, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Not trying to be smart here.....but why would you want to put a roof rack on your car?If the ski's can't fit throught the pass-through why not just rent them when you get there ?
Perhaps it saves money, and he has his own board/skis already. I would def. hate to have a 500$ board and not be able to use it
Old 02-09-2006, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 C230SS 6MT, 1966 Triumph TR4a IRS, Shelby Cobra 427 Supercharged
The quality of the equipment you get from rental places isnt usually up to what one would own. Me on the other hand... Im still using Olin Mark IV circa 1970's! You buy equipment that fits you just right and is comfortable for you. If you rent skis, they would have to take time to adjust the bindings for your own boots if you bring them. IMHO having your own boots is a must. They can make the difference between wanting to ski for a whole week or just an hour. Thats I bring my own instead of using rentals. Well that and they rape your wallet at the mountian!
Old 02-09-2006, 01:55 PM

Mine 2005 C230 Kompressor, Dad's 2005 ML350
I have a Thule rack on my dads ML both for my snowboard and my bike and its great. Not sure about anything for the C or whatever MB makes.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM

Glad to hear that other people understand why I'm bringing my own ski's versus renting.

StillKickin-
Thanks for the info., however what I'm really looking for is someone who has experience with a C-Class roof-rack system.

Anyone have a roof-rack on their C-Class?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
I have a Yakima rack with rocket box & bike mounts

I have the Yakima system. I have the lowrider bars that fit on the c240 rails with steelhead mounts for the bikes (the ones that lock, so no one can take the bike off the roof while you are inside the coffee shop getting some wakeup juice) and a rocket box for carrying alpine (downhill) skis and snowboards.

This system is great, but more expensive than other choices. It is very durable and easy to take the rails off when not needed. I wish I had the wind deflector because it cuts down the noise significantly.

If you are carrying skis, I highly recommend an enclosed carrier since a ski is dog slow (and in my opinion, ruined) when road grime gets captured in the bases. Most recreational skiers probably don't care, but a great pair of skis is hard to come by and they need to be protected.

Since I do mostly nordic (cross-country) skiing, I put the skis in the ski bag in the car, but this is a difficult/expensive retrofit and is limited for the number of skis that you can fit in it (i.e. fat tip/tail alpine skis).

I would also consider Thule racks as well, but I have been dedicated to Yakima for the past 20 years so I haven't looked at any other brand.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 PM

2002 C230K Coupe
Snowboard carrier

Originally Posted by Turbo2
Hi Guys-

Anyone here have the MB roof-rack system for their C-Class. It’s $268 for the main rack from MB and then another $100 for the Ski/Snowboard rack. Has anyone used this system or something similar (Thule, etc.) and have any comments on it?

Ease of installation, any damage to roof/paint?

I did a search but did not come up with any C-Class info.

Thanks
Why don't you try one that I have.
Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Thread for W203/S203/CL203 & bike/ski mounts-pcdv0001.jpg  
Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by harpax
Why don't you try one that I have.

I'd like to see how you carry your bicycle

*snicker*
Old 02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
RES

2005 C55, 1988 260E, 2000 Chevrolet Silverado
I have the Thule system and find reliable and easy to use. Just like the Yakima, it is a little noise without the deflector. But I take it off when I don't use it. I have the ski rack that hold six pairs of skis and you put the baises together. I have a very nice pair of skis and have never had a problems with damage. I have both the fork mount bike racks and the new criterium upright mount and both work well. I use the new bike racks because its a pain to remove the front wheel on a down hill mountain bike anymore. With disc brakes and no quike release. I think for the money I would go with either the Thule or the Yakima. I worked at a bicycle shop for years and we carried both and had no problem with either. Plus I believe they are now the same company (from what I heard). The only reason I didn't go with the Mercedes system is price and I already had most of the Thule stuff. Thats my two cents worth. Russ
Old 02-11-2006, 05:40 PM

Thanks, guys.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Thread for W203/S203/CL203 & bike/ski mounts