C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

y does my xenon turn frm blue to yellow???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07' ML350
y does my xenon turn frm blue to yellow???

my xenons r blue when its just been turned on, but after a few moments it turns yellowish (though not as yellow as halogens)..........y is that when i see MB marketing pics, the xenons still look bluish???????
Old 05-17-2002, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
mine does the same. i have stage 1 and i was told that there is a 100 hour burn in period before they stay white all the time... i hope so, otherwise, i'm moving on. it's been 59 hours so far... still yellowish.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Toyota Tacoma & Lexus IS250
Hey Young, I was just gettin gready to ask you about the status of your yellow HIDs.

BTW, could you just buy the Stage II bulbs and install those to solve your problem ??

how much are just the bulbs ?
Old 05-17-2002, 09:30 AM

07' ML350
i have MB Xenons on d car straight frm the factory, is that a stage 1 or stage 2? is that burn out thing applicable for oem xenons???? its still whitish/bluish, though not as blue as the ones seen on mb catalogs.
Old 05-17-2002, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLB 250 4matic
sorry, bruno, didn't realize yours was oem.

i do not think that that is normal. someone w/ a c32 posted that one of his lights turned yellow. i think it is a defect and you should get it fixed.

bagwell, yeah, that is a contingency plan. the other is to get the new oem ones if they fit. but right now, i just hope that they start matching my other car's oem hids.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
my xenon is oem too...and it too turns white after ten seconds. i was hoping the xenon to be more bluish like my last car the 2000 328CI but it sure is bright...

so i don't have much to complain.
Old 05-17-2002, 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
C230 Sports Coupe
to solve the problem of the burn in time ya'll who have xenons could enable the daytime running lights to shorten the time.
Old 05-17-2002, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Actually, I'd much prefer if they stayed yellowish as they are now, 2 weeks since installation. The reason - all that has been said and written about halogens, coated and clear, fully applies to the HIDs - namely, that blue light creates glare (compared to yellow), both to oncomming traffic and yourself, especially under rainy and foggy conditions. Plus, yellow is less obnoxious

Last edited by vadim; 05-17-2002 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:26 PM

C32 AMG
I know "everybody" likes those blue lights, but, like vadim, I'd rather have white lights. It seems to me that humans are adapted to white light, not blue.

I've noticed that Japanese (Lexus, etc) cars and Audis tend to be the bluest from the factory - don't know why - and the Japanese lights really glare - I don't think they cut off as precisely.

As far as I can tell, the only reason for blue lights is so people will notice you. I'd rather they notice me for a some other reason!
(like maybe my sunny disposition!)

And since I'm on a tirade - how many of you leave your fog lights on whenever you go out at night? I can only barely tell a difference with them off and on - and really only at very close range and a maybe little to the sides.

Porsche had an article about their Xenon lights in a recent Christophorus (their version of Mercedes Momentum) and the engineer said basically that they felt there was little need for fog lights if you had properly engineeered xenon lights - but they put them in the car because customers insisted!

Cars running bright fog lights (in clear weather in the city) just irritate me to no end. They blind oncoming cars and they put out no useful light.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been on long dark country roads where a set of 200 watt driving lights made a huge difference. But under street lights?

Ok, tirade over - sorry - couldn't help myself! I'll be quiet now...
Old 05-18-2002, 04:41 AM

W212 E63
I think the head light housing is part of the problem. Since S2000, BMW and Audi uses projectile head light, it will reflect the light to show some bluish and purple color. The new ML comes with a new projectile unit, and it did give the ML a bluish looking. I have Stage II in my Coupe, after the HID have warm up, it didn't stay in bluish color, it just stays like white.
Old 05-18-2002, 06:32 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by jswedberg
I know "everybody" likes those blue lights, but, like vadim, I'd rather have white lights. It seems to me that humans are adapted to white light, not blue.

I've noticed that Japanese (Lexus, etc) cars and Audis tend to be the bluest from the factory - don't know why - and the Japanese lights really glare - I don't think they cut off as precisely.

As far as I can tell, the only reason for blue lights is so people will notice you. I'd rather they notice me for a some other reason!
(like maybe my sunny disposition!)

And since I'm on a tirade - how many of you leave your fog lights on whenever you go out at night? I can only barely tell a difference with them off and on - and really only at very close range and a maybe little to the sides.

Porsche had an article about their Xenon lights in a recent Christophorus (their version of Mercedes Momentum) and the engineer said basically that they felt there was little need for fog lights if you had properly engineeered xenon lights - but they put them in the car because customers insisted!

Cars running bright fog lights (in clear weather in the city) just irritate me to no end. They blind oncoming cars and they put out no useful light.

Now don't get me wrong, I've been on long dark country roads where a set of 200 watt driving lights made a huge difference. But under street lights?

Ok, tirade over - sorry - couldn't help myself! I'll be quiet now...

do you mean the high beam by your meaning of "fog light"?

cuz my definition of fog light are those lights on the front bumper.
Old 05-18-2002, 10:28 AM

C32 AMG
I mean fog lights.

Surprisingly, I really haven't seen much abuse of high beams in the city. Usually only on old, beat up cars that probably have burned out low beams.
Old 05-19-2002, 05:23 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by jswedberg
I mean fog lights.

Surprisingly, I really haven't seen much abuse of high beams in the city. Usually only on old, beat up cars that probably have burned out low beams.
well then...in that case i do leave my fog light on during the night simply because the car looks better with them on.

the fog light will not distract the on coming traffic more than the low beam does since it covers lower and near area than the low beam. if the fog lights are really that bright and will distract the on coming traffic than we should turn all the lights off because low beam hits higher and further than the fog light. and if that is the case, what is the point of getting Xenons.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL450, Sienna SE
I know what he is talking about. I have seen and have been one of those cars with really really bright fog lights. I got them as a gift and passed them on to someone else because they are way too bright. They were RAZO bulbs but emitted such a bright light, it was brighter than my headlights. LOL.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:55 AM

C32 AMG
I have to admit, Mercedes are usually not the problem!

Usually they are older SUVs or trucks, (or slammed Hondas, etc.) and the fog lights are too bright and/or not adjusted properly.

Still, the idea of driving around with lit fog lights because they "look better" is interesting...

I guess I never really thought about other people (whom I'll never meet) and their opinions on the "look" of my car!