C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan

I Have a 2002 C240 Sedan.

I have power recline, raise, and lower. I have to manually move the seat foward and backward.

What would I have to do to add factory heated seats?

Order new seats like mine but with the heater option? I would also have to order the dash switches I guess.

Ease of installation? I'm up for a challenge here.

Any help would be useful as I can't find any one that has upgraded to heated seats with factory 240 seats.

Thanks,

Eric Barger
www.installuniversity.com - MB How To installation articles
Old 10-03-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talk to Sunman on this board, he can help you and get you pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck!
Old 10-03-2004, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You will need to replace your switchcluster above the HU. It is an integrated part controlled thru the canbus (I believe - check with sunman). You cannot just replace the blanks with other switches. From what I've seen on a German forum it would be more advantageous for you to get A-class heating pads. Supposedly they slip under your existing seat covering as compared to the C-class ones which are integrated. I'll try and look next time I'm over on that forum to see if I can find more info. HTH
Old 10-03-2004, 09:32 PM

Ford Pinto
I have an email into sunman.

Please let me know what you find out? I would defintely order the new switch cluster and would rather just slip in the pads if possible. I really don't want to purchase brand new seats because I am fine with the ones I have. I just want to keep it factory looking/acting, safe, and must use factory switches in the dash panel.

As always, I will document this install step-by-step on my website like the other installs I have done to my car.

My wife has always wanted heated seats. We found the C240 on our dealer's lot and it did not have that option. It was exactly what we wanted minus that so we purchased it anyway. Now I hope to be able to make that an option. Reading all sunman's post, has given me hope!

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
Old 10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
yes it can be done. im adding the CLK heated/vented seats to my car. the switch row i bought for my parktonic mod is from the CLK with the heated vented buttons.

i also did hear that it is easier for the A-Class pads. the C's have to be sewn onto the cushions from what i understand.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
The c classes have the heat pads sewn from factory. Not sure about A class but old G class has seperate inserts. Doug, since you are doing vented seats also, simply adding inserts is out of the questions for you. you'll need new covers for vented feature which has holes in the heating element for the air to pass through.
Old 10-03-2004, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

oh yeah i know that. the cushions and leather will have to be different. i remember from the discussions we had about the seats. ill be working on that project in the spring. gotta let my bank account recover after UHI, linguatronic, and parktronic.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Banned

1/ switch bank with heated seat markings + the ones you have now (ESP + ALARM + Headrest release) (bear in mind this might be a good time time to add other mods as each mod like parktronic and rear blind needs a new switch bank)

2/ heated seat cable from switch bank to seats (comes with fuse already)

3/ heating pads (taken from a-class part numbers)

2 x 168 820 03 98 HEATED ELELMENT 33.96 Euro each
2 x 168 820 04 98 HEATED ELELMENT 43.63 Euro each

One is vertical and one is horizontal but both sides are identical.

Then you need someone to check the power connectors that go into the seat wiring frame as I can not assure you the A-Class heater cables slot into the C-class wiring frame under the seat (but I would bet they do).

Suggested mods at the same time -
- COMAND
- AUX cable
- CD stacker
Old 10-04-2004, 07:50 AM

Ford Pinto
miroj, thanks for the part numbers. I have a few questions.

Will using the A class pads be on a timer or have low and high heat? I ask this becuse does the pads have a brain or does the car control heat? How do they function since I am doing this after the fact?

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful! I will collect the list of part numbers and post everything as I go.

One last thing, will I be able to notice any difference in the seat once the pads have been slipped in?

Eric
Old 10-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
All A-class heating pads have integrated thermostats/limiters/etc (whatever you want to call it) - safety feature. In addition you will get the dual heat feature controlled by the switch bank.

@miroj
Thanx for the info. Saves me from searching the other forum.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
All A-class heating pads have integrated thermostats/limiters/etc (whatever you want to call it) - safety feature. In addition you will get the dual heat feature controlled by the switch bank.

@miroj
Thanx for the info. Saves me from searching the other forum.
The C-class and CLK-class have the same parts numbers. Now the switch bank is very specific because there are like 8 pages of them in part numbers.

(door lock and head rest switch is standard on all cars)

=================================

Heating cable
------------------------------------------
A203 540 30 05 = seat heating loom with fuse (W203 and W209)- $30 Euro

Switch banks
------------------------------------------
A203 821 65 79 = + seat heating switch [873] + parktronic [220] (only)

A203 821 61 58 = full option switch bank (conventional) also similar to

A203 821 71 79 = heating + rear blind + alarm + parktronic
A203 821 79 79 = all of the above + interior motion sensor (IMS)
A209 820 48 10 = all of the above + +IMS + seat venting

Prices start from $80 Euro ..........

Variants
-------------------------------------------
* vented seats with heating (called air conditioned)
* normally heated seats
* rear blind
* alarm
* alarm with interior motion sensor
* parktronic

That is 2x2x4! = 4x4x3x2x1 possible combinations = many pages of parts for the switch bank and a good way to get mod crazy.

What you do is buy the "full optioned" switch panel with all the possible options and just slip over the blank button over the options not used as I did in the A-class.

The cable goes from the back of the switch bank to the seats, taps into ground and clips into the drivers side fuse box near the front door. The two heat settings are totally controlled by the switch bank and WILL NOT LIGHT up until everything is connected.

Interestingly it is a totally DC connection. It just runs a normal power current from +12V to ground. There are no tricky bits at all. You need a light bulb or a multimeter to determine if the wire is for the left or right seat and can be easily tested before finalising the re-assembly.

INTERESTING SIDE NOTE - YOU MAY HAVE HEATED SEAT COVERS FOR FREE
================================================== ======
Many of the part numbers for seat covers are the same part numbers for heated seats even though your car DOES NOT HAVE heated seats. This means that in many cases (especially CLK) the only think missing is a switch bank and a Mercedes cable to the seat.

CHECK YOUR COVERS and SEATS at the dealer using the VIN to see if you have a HEATED SEAT COVER that is not connected. Applies most often to fully optioned leather and fabric seats in newer cars. I am not sure about older W203 or MB-Tex setups.

EDIT: Total Price
=============
Heat Pads
----------
A168 820 03 98 HEATED ELELMENT 33.96 Euro x2
A168 820 04 98 HEATED ELELMENT 43.63 Euro x2

Heating cable
-------------
A203 540 30 05 = seat heating loom $30 Euro

Switch banks
-------------
A203 821 71 79 = heating + rear blind + alarm + parktronic
A203 821 79 79 = all of the above + interior motion sensor (IMS)
A209 820 48 10 = all of the above + IMS + seat venting

Prices start from $80 Euro ..........

Last edited by miroj; 10-04-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wizkid
miroj, thanks for the part numbers. I have a few questions.

Will using the A class pads be on a timer or have low and high heat? I ask this becuse does the pads have a brain or does the car control heat? How do they function since I am doing this after the fact?

Thanks for the information. That is very helpful! I will collect the list of part numbers and post everything as I go.

One last thing, will I be able to notice any difference in the seat once the pads have been slipped in?

Eric
Not sure about the timer - 2 stage heating is totally switch bank controlled.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by miroj
INTERESTING SIDE NOTE - YOU MAY HAVE HEATED SEAT COVERS FOR FREE
================================================== ======
Many of the part numbers for seat covers are the same part numbers for heated seats even though your car DOES NOT HAVE heated seats. This means that in many cases (especially CLK) the only think missing is a switch bank and a Mercedes cable to the seat.
Seems like my car is 50% possible that it has heated seat covers already but no connection. I remember taking off the seat to repair a latch underneath and never saw a loose cable but then it might be coiled up inside the assembly.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:47 PM

Ford Pinto
Thumbs down

I explained to my dealer that I want to use my VIN number to check and see if I have the part number for the heated seats even though my car did not come with heated seats.

They told me in not so many words, "We can't do that and what you are doing is unorthodox and not as easy as someone is making it out. You will have to swap out your entire body harness and you don't know how to do that."
Can anyone help me out if I gave them my VIN number? Or is there a way for me to tell by pulling my seats and visually inspecting them?

Eric
Old 10-04-2004, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well ill find out soon because my new siwtch row for PTS has the heated seats buttons on it. ill find out if i got heated seats for free. i highly doubt it though.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:50 PM
Banned

I explained to my dealer that I want to use my VIN number to check and see if I have the part number for the heated seats even though my car did not come with heated seats.

Can anyone help me out if I gave them my VIN number? Or is there a way for me to tell by pulling my seats and visually inspecting them?

Eric
Well I would quote the part number for the entire body harness called "heated seat harness" and tell him ............

Well it looks like this ...... every part number except a few in my EPC has listed the part number for the seat covers and then underneath another part number with seat heating with the same part number.

Expert leather repair guys have told me many cars come with free seat heating and no connection.

Try this ......

" What is the part number of my drivers seat cover if I wanted to buy them again ........ and what would be the part number if this time I wanted to buy the covers with seat heating. "

I have seen errors in EPC before and maybe this is just a misprint. Last week when I phoned the dealer they seemed to find the same thing as I did and havent called me back yet.

I guess Mercedes people could be forgiven for going postal. The rubbish stories that people get told.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:31 PM

Ford Pinto
Ok, I will give it another shot.

Is there anyway you know of to do a physical inspection?

Eric
Old 10-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Banned

Ok, I will give it another shot.

Is there anyway you know of to do a physical inspection?

Eric
It turns out that the spare parts all come with seat heating. The cars when they are being made dont always come with heating. Out of the 4 pads needed you might be lucky and get 4 heated covers. You may also just get one out of the four or none at all.

That being the case I can see no reason not to use the A-class mats.

One way to check is to see if you have any shielded or black cables emerging from your seat and going underneath. Memory seats and motors also have the same type of cables - the passenger seat also has an occupancy cable for the airbag..... so I think it takes a good long hard look. Just look for anything that isnt connected.

Im tempted to see if my covers conceal any cables. Taking out the 4 screws and unhooking the seat should provide all the answers. I plan on doing a mod before Christmas anyway so I will know one way or another by then.

The cable and switch bank are already on order. The heat mats can be done at any time.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Ford Pinto
Ok, I am going to go out and look over my car now.

When you refer to the A Class mats: Will I be able to tell a difference in the seat feel after they are installed you think? Is it just a simple stuff in and your done?

Eric
Old 10-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Banned

Ok, I am going to go out and look over my car now.

When you refer to the A Class mats: Will I be able to tell a difference in the seat feel after they are installed you think? Is it just a simple stuff in and your done?

Eric
The mats have sticky sides and are really soft and thin. They dont stick to the cover but to the cushion so a gap may exist on the backrest between the heater and the cover. I found that to be the only down side to the whole idea.

Clipping the seat covers back on isnt hard but you may want to get some advice from any expert your dealer uses to repair or colour the leather, or ask the senior mechanic.

Chances are that if your car was in a batch of high spec production models then the seat is most likely heated. It's random from what I hear.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:17 PM

Ford Pinto
I couldn't find any disconnected wires. This is not good enough for me though. I will yank those bad boys out when I get back from vacation and inspect them really close. I will take pictures and post them up on the board.

Anyone know the torque specifications for the four torx head bolts on the seat rails when tightening?

Help me out, when you say seat cover, what is a seat cover exactly? Is it the foam and leather part of the seat?

I have included a current picture of my switch cluster. Let me make sure I understand you correctly from above. I can order a fully functional switch cluster like you suggested, and then swap the current blank switch covers in place of the switches I don't have on the new cluster? That way I would have future switches for just in case? That would be awesome!

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Eric Barger
Attached Thumbnails I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan-img_3041.jpg  

Last edited by wizkid; 10-04-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:30 PM
Banned

I couldn't find any disconnected wires. This is not good enough for me though. I will yank those bad boys out when I get back from vacation and inspect them really close. I will take pictures and post them up on the board.

Anyone know the torque specifications for the four torx head bolts on the seat rails when tightening?

Help me out, when you say seat cover, what is a seat cover exactly? Is it the foam and leather part of the seat?

I have included a current picture of my switch cluster. Let me make sure I understand you correctly from above. I can order a fully functional switch cluster like you suggested, and then swap the current blank switch covers in place of the switches I don't have on the new cluster? That way I would have future switches for just in case? That would be awesome!

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Eric Barger
The torque settings are 50Nm.

The heated covers are the leather not the leather + cushion. The A-class mats stick to the cushion not the covers.

The blank buttons from the old switch bank can be used with the new fully loaded switch bank. The printed button unclips to reveal the electronics underneath (led's) and the blank button snaps into place to cover it. That way we can all order the same switch bank ! Just be sure you dont squash any clips as this might lead to strange errors caused by switches that fire for no reason.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:37 PM

Ford Pinto
Thanks for the torque specifications.

So the heat unit is on the underside of the leather?

Is it easy swapping out the covers?

Eric
Old 10-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Banned

Thanks for the torque specifications.

So the heat unit is on the underside of the leather?

Is it easy swapping out the covers?

Eric
Easy to do in labour terms ..... I think the full replacement front seat heated covers set costs about $1500 Euro.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Question

Originally Posted by CitronC230K_03
well ill find out soon because my new siwtch row for PTS has the heated seats buttons on it. ill find out if i got heated seats for free. i highly doubt it though.
Doug,
this is an interesting development... now I'm wondering if I've got these seats too... doubt it also, but maybe worth a look & see !
Let me know what you find. I guess figuring it out on mine would be easy since my seats are manual. So any loose wires under there might mean: heated seats, no ?

---------------------

Miroj,
i think I would want the switch-row with EVERY single Possible option on there (Euro & US spec): IMS, Parktronic, Heated, vented, alarm, sunshade,
head rests, anti-tow, everything.... which part # is that one from all those you listed ?

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I want to add heated seats to my car... '02 C240 Sedan